News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Highways in cartoon episodes

Started by roadman, October 21, 2013, 07:10:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brandon

Quote from: Dr Frankenstein on October 30, 2013, 04:55:27 PM
"Planes"  was a spin-off by Disney in which Pixar wasn't involved.

Which makes NE2's comment make perfect sense...

Quote from: NE2 on October 28, 2013, 06:26:18 PM
Apparently Planes was more of a 'fuck-off'.

I still fail to see where Cars (the original one) is all that bad.  Maybe compared to most of the Pixar films, but it's still better than most of the other animated tripe out there.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Dr Frankenstein

Cars was John Lasseter's pet project. He's a car guy, he wanted a movie with cars. And U.S. 66, because he likes that too. It received mixed reviews but in the end it was pretty good, IMO.

I... don't know what exactly happened with Cars 2. I think that they realized how successful Cars was, especially with merchandise. I guess that they wanted to capitalize on that and hurried to make a second one to keep the momentum. (They also made a bunch of animated shorts for TV prior to that.) They also focused on Mater (the annoying uneducated redneck rusty tow truck character) presumably because he turned out to be more popular than Lightning (main character in the first movie) with the audience. The end result was a film that just didn't have the depth of other Pixar movies, and reviews showed it. Pixar has been known to make movie sequels "grow up" somewhat with the audience of the first one, which may explain why it has more action and a lesser "cute" factor. However, generic ugly (unless you like AMC Gremlins and solid hubcaps on electric cars) one-dimensional villains is something that is unusual from Pixar, and is what killed it in my opinion. That, and torturing what looks like a Mustang.

I haven't seen Planes. The consensus seems to be that it proves that Disney can't compete with Pixar, but it's cute nonetheless. NE2's comment does make sense. :p

Cars 3 is only a rumor (although a voice actor apparently did leak it; I haven't listened to the interview though), and if it is in the works and does happen on U.S. 99, then I guess it might be an attempt to fix the Cars 2 "mess."

formulanone

Quote from: Dr Frankenstein on October 31, 2013, 11:08:21 AMI... don't know what exactly happened with Cars 2. I think that they realized how successful Cars was, especially with merchandise. I guess that they wanted to capitalize on that and hurried to make a second one to keep the momentum.

Five years doesn't sound like much of a hurry (but, I'm not aware of the development timeline; it could have been 12 months for all I know), but I think they made a movie for kids, gearheads, and race car-nerds, but a bit of a shallow effort otherwise. There's nothing really in it for the roadgeek, unless there's some aforementioned overlap. They'd basically exhausted most of the good ideas (isn't that always the case when a fart joke is used?), so if there's a third movie, it's either 20-25 years from now to capitalize on nostalgia, or an even more awful direct-to-video effort. It seems every movie is created with eventual concept of it becoming a trilogy nowadays...

QuoteI haven't seen Planes. The consensus seems to be that it proves that Disney can't compete with Pixar, but it's cute nonetheless.

Me neither; my son's all into planes now, so we'll probably rent it around its Christmastime box release.

(With all the cartoons I've watched, somehow I can't come up with a highway-in-a-cartoon post? What gives, brain?)

kurumi

Quote from: Dr Frankenstein on October 28, 2013, 04:35:26 PM
Quote from: ilvny on October 27, 2013, 06:56:39 PM
Route 66 in Disney/Pixar's Cars.  Route 66 was also in the Grand Canyon episode of Rugrats.
There is some speculation on fan sites that there's a third installment in the works that will feature old U.S. 99.

I'm hoping it's a prequel: show us what happened between the reign of humans, the extinction of humans, and the takeover of the Cars. Some say this movie has already been made. But I think Pixar could do it better.
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

roadman

"You have to watch Episodes 4, 5, and 6 before you can watch Episodes 1, 2, and 3."
"That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard of."

The Harrisons (Pawn Stars) discussing Star Wars.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

US81

"[George Lucas] is f-ing with us numerically - "Children, let us count up to ten: four, five, six, one, two, three, ten." "

Eddie Izzard

webfil

Brandon

"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Dr Frankenstein

Brandon

bzakharin

This appeared in the new (2012) Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles series.

Kind of messed up, isn't it?

Thing 342

Quote from: bzakharin on September 21, 2014, 09:41:54 PM
This appeared in the new (2012) Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles series.

Kind of messed up, isn't it?
Indeed, but I believe there is an I-87 BGS somewhere that closely matches the inverted-T-shaped one in this shot.

Zeffy

Quote from: Thing 342 on September 22, 2014, 10:34:58 PM
Indeed, but I believe there is an I-87 BGS somewhere that closely matches the inverted-T-shaped one in this shot.

There is, but not quite matching the content of the TMNT one:

From Alpsroads.net

There's also:

From Alpsroads.net
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

bzakharin

Jardine

If we are including Supermarionation,

I get a real kick out of Penelope's big pink car on Thunderbirds.  Road scenes are always shot perpendicular to direction of travel.

thenetwork

Quote from: Molandfreak on October 22, 2013, 09:40:23 PM
Quote from: wxfree on October 21, 2013, 11:51:32 PM
In the South Park episode about people from the future traveling back in time to the present and taking people's jobs, the point where the "goobacks" came through was near I-285 (a sign was shown), which I believe was a two-lane highway.  Since it's set in Colorado, I assume it's meant to refer to US 285.
I think this also exists in the episode where Cartman and Kyle go to Los Angeles on their big wheels, but in this episode I-285 is actually a freeway.

That Big Wheel chase en route to L.A. looks like it took place along I-70 near Grand Junction.  Both my wife and I said that that freeway chase scene looked very familiar.

And the hospital seen in many South Park episodes looks alot like the real hospital in Glenwood Springs.,

iowahighways

Quote from: roadman on October 21, 2013, 07:10:19 PM
Some examples that immediately come to mind:
[...]
Baffled Bear (Yogi Bear)
This cartoon has Yogi stranded in the middle of a highway interchange that was constructed while he was in hibernation.

The Yogi Bear short "Rah Rah Bear" had Yogi making a road trip to the Chicago Bears-New York Giants game. There was a brief segment which showed shields for "Wyoming 26", "Nebraska 30", and "Iowa 6" -- all real US highways that run through those states -- plus Illinois 7, a real state highway.

The video is here; the segment in question starts around 2:00 in.
The Iowa Highways Page: Now exclusively at www.iowahighways.org
The Iowa Highways Photo Gallery: www.flickr.com/photos/iowahighways/

DevalDragon

There's a good CGI Welcome to Ohio sign in Disney's Bolt

jp the roadgeek

Wasn't there an old cartoon (Car of Tomorrow?) where a guy was stuck on an interchange, kept going back to the same guy to tell him how to get off the freeway, then in the end, we find out the guy from which he was asking directions had actually given up trying to get off and opened a hot dog stand?
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

adventurernumber1

This afternoon I was watching The Amazing World of Gumball with my little brother. I very rarely watch the show (LOL Idek most of the characters' names, but anyways) so I can't tell you what episode it was, but in the middle of the episode the characters were on the road, and there was actually some BGS pretty impressive for the type of show it is. http://prntscr.com/4qave2

Here's the best shot: http://prntscr.com/4qb1vf I give credit that the shields are correct (for America that is), but the numerals aren't all that great, lol. Still very impressive considering the kind of show The Amazing World of Gumball is.
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

roadman

Quote from: Jardine on September 23, 2014, 07:24:49 PM
If we are including Supermarionation,

I get a real kick out of Penelope's big pink car on Thunderbirds.  Road scenes are always shot perpendicular to direction of travel.

Not to mention the episodes "End of the Road", where IR had to rescue a contractor who got stuck on a collapsing road in a monsoon, and "Day Of Disaster", where IR had to rescue the crew of a space rocket that fell into a river when a suspension bridge collapsed.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

roadfro

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on September 25, 2014, 11:27:42 AM
Wasn't there an old cartoon (Car of Tomorrow?) where a guy was stuck on an interchange, kept going back to the same guy to tell him how to get off the freeway, then in the end, we find out the guy from which he was asking directions had actually given up trying to get off and opened a hot dog stand?

I remember this cartoon. I don't recall the title...
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

WichitaRoads

Quote from: adventurernumber1 on September 25, 2014, 05:47:31 PM
This afternoon I was watching The Amazing World of Gumball with my little brother. I very rarely watch the show (LOL Idek most of the characters' names, but anyways) so I can't tell you what episode it was, but in the middle of the episode the characters were on the road, and there was actually some BGS pretty impressive for the type of show it is. http://prntscr.com/4qave2

Here's the best shot: http://prntscr.com/4qb1vf I give credit that the shields are correct (for America that is), but the numerals aren't all that great, lol. Still very impressive considering the kind of show The Amazing World of Gumball is.

One of the benefits of working from home most of the time is a lot of TV time... I must admit, as sad as it is, I watch this show occasionally. It actually is pretty adult in its humor (as most shows on Cartoon Network actually are). There are probably at least a dozen episodes of TAWG using the highway as a scene. The signs are very good, if really confusing (highways that never belong together), but showing a divided freeway with double yellow lines on each side (two roads parallel to each other???) is a little... odd.

ICTRds

roadman

Quote from: roadfro on September 27, 2014, 04:44:09 PM
Quote from: jp the roadgeek on September 25, 2014, 11:27:42 AM

I remember this cartoon. I don't recall the title...
It was from a 1949 Warner Brothers' short called There Auto Be A Law.  The individual who ended up opening the "Mustard and Relish" stand, which was located next to the Hamburger stand opened by the first guy that got stuck on the interchange, was only one of several skits within the six minute short.

The "Car of Tomorrow" was a segment in a mid-1950s MGM short of a similar vein to There Auto Be A Law, though the exact title escapes me at the moment.  A simplifed version of the concept shown in the MGM short was later used by Hanna-Barbera for The Jetsons (which was logical, given that Hanna and Barbera originally worked for the MGM cartoon department).

bzakharin

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but found another one in TMNT, seen in an apocalyptic future. Any idea if this is a real sign?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.