News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Which End of I-70 Looks Better?

Started by theroadwayone, September 26, 2017, 05:36:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theroadwayone

Which do you think, the west end at I-15 in Cove Fort, UT, or the east end, at a Park and Ride lot in Baltimore, MD?

theroadwayone

theroadwayone

jp the roadgeek

They both look the same on here.  Just a string of characters for the filename :)
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

davewiecking

theroadwayone

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on September 26, 2017, 05:45:12 PM
They both look the same on here.  Just a string of characters for the filename :)

How the hell do I post pictures on here, may I ask?

7/8

Quote from: theroadwayone on September 26, 2017, 05:49:16 PM
Quote from: jp the roadgeek on September 26, 2017, 05:45:12 PM

How the hell do I post pictures on here, may I ask?

Upload your screenshots to imgur or flickr and include share links in your post (they'll be called bbcode links on imgur and flickr)

oscar

Actually, the east end is at the four-level stack interchange with I-695. The stub at the park-and-ride was truncated away, with AASHTO approval, for transit improvements.

As partial as I am to rural interchanges, it's hard to top a well-designed urban four-level stack.

Like JP, I can't see the linked images either. They need to be uploaded to a Web server, not theroadwayone's personal OneDrive, for the rest of us to view them. The subject of hosting images for posting on this forum has been extensively (and probably repetitively) discussed in other parts of this forum.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

briantroutman

Quote from: oscar on September 26, 2017, 05:53:00 PM
Actually, the east end is at the four-level stack interchange with I-695. The stub at the park-and-ride was truncated away, with AASHTO approval, for transit improvements.

Perhaps it has been truncated officially, but I was on the stub end just a few weeks ago, and it was still signed as I-70.

From a roadgeek perspective, I'd vote for the Baltimore end without a question. Even without the four-level interchange, the oddness of the eerily vacant wide right of way, the history behind it, and the thoughts of what might have been easily make it much more interesting, in my opinion.

Beyond the oddball control city (Cove Fort), the west end is a relatively ordinary freeway of the Mountain West–reasonably scenic, but not remarkable.

theroadwayone

All right; here are the images, take deux.
Cove Fort:

theroadwayone

roadman65

The west end because of the mountains and the serenity of Utah.  The east end is typical suburban looking cluttered with Baltimore metro area commuters and commerce.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

theroadwayone

Quote from: roadman65 on September 27, 2017, 12:55:45 PM
The west end because of the mountains and the serenity of Utah.  The east end is typical suburban looking cluttered with Baltimore metro area commuters and commerce.
I do have to sort of agree; an interchange with a breathtaking, scenic backdrop vs. a parking lot isn't much of a contest.

Truvelo

Speed limits limit life

Mergingtraffic

I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

Roadgeekteen

East is more intresting, west is more senic.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

theroadwayone

And in defense of I-70's eastern end, while driving away from it, you get to see one of AARoads's favorite mileage signs:

theroadwayone

I read that when that sign first went up, the amount of Baltimoreans calling to ask "Where's Cove Fort?" was INSANE.

JJBers

Quote from: theroadwayone on September 27, 2017, 07:17:34 PM
I read that when that sign first went up, the amount of Baltimoreans calling to ask "Where's Cove Fort?" was INSANE.
Well, not everyone knows a random fort 2,200 miles away.
*for Connecticut
Clinched Stats,
Flickr,
(2di:I-24, I-76, I-80, I-84, I-95 [ME-GA], I-91)

Flint1979

The eastern end is more interesting. The western end is more scenic. As a matter of fact the entire stretch from Breezewood to the eastern terminus is pretty interesting.

Revive 755

Quote from: briantroutman on September 26, 2017, 06:12:14 PM
Quote from: oscar on September 26, 2017, 05:53:00 PM

Perhaps it has been truncated officially, but I was on the stub end just a few weeks ago, and it was still signed as I-70.

It looks like the transit improvements that would have deconstructed the stub east of I-695 have been temporarily halted.

I vote for the west end.  From Streetview it appears you do not get much of a view of the stack with I-695 from I-70 since I-70 is on the top level.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: theroadwayone on September 27, 2017, 07:15:20 PM
And in defense of I-70's eastern end, while driving away from it, you get to see one of AARoads's favorite mileage signs:

Is that the longest distance on a normal mileage sign?
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

briantroutman

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on September 28, 2017, 09:58:17 PM
Is that the longest distance on a normal mileage sign?

There's a mileage sign at the western end of US 50 in Sacramento where the bottom line reads "Ocean City, MD 3073" .

signalman

I could have sworn there was one on either end of I-40 mentioning the other terminus, but I can't find it on GSV.  There is a freestanding sign in CA mentioning the distance to Wilmington, NC via I-40, but not a mileage sign listing other places.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.