News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Pennsylvania

Started by Alex, March 07, 2009, 07:01:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

74/171FAN

Quote from: roadman65 on December 12, 2022, 11:04:58 AM
On the west end of that bypass, they do give US 30 the advantage though with an at grade.

I do know the US 30 exiting itself at Lancaster and Coatesville has to do with planned freeways between the two that never got built due to NIMBYs in both Lancaster and Chester Counties.

I forgot to mention this yesterday, but I remember seeing a reconfiguration of the west end of the Coatesville Bypass going east on US 30 when I drove that way on November 12th.  It was dark so no photo or even myself truly remembering what the change was.  It was not related to the plans related to improving the Coatesville-Downingtown Bypass.  It seems to be related to the Sadbury Commons expansionI think it can be somewhat seen in August 2022 GSV.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Bitmapped

Quote from: roadman65 on December 12, 2022, 11:04:58 AM
On the west end of that bypass, they do give US 30 the advantage though with an at grade.

There's a big disparity in traffic counts east and west of Bedford. East of Bedford, US 30 has about 18,000 VPD with about 7100 taking the business route into town. You'd need to signalize to handle those values. On the west side of town, US 30 has 6800 VPD with 3600 VPD on the business route, which functions unsignalized.

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on December 12, 2022, 09:32:22 PM
Quote from: 74/171FAN on December 12, 2022, 10:02:08 AM
Quote from: roadman65 on December 12, 2022, 09:31:38 AM
I take someday they plan to extend the US 22 freeway to the east and bypass Holidaysburg?

I am unsure that is even necessary.  Taking I-99 NB to Frankstown Rd or PA 453 is what I see on GPS units to do to get around US 22.

All that needs to be done honestly, is just connect it directly to US-220 Business there (Plank Road).  That's it.  That way, they can bypass Duncansville, which is the major problem there.

While that would be an incremental improvement, Hollidaysburg is just as much of a slog as Duncansville. You really need something that bypasses the both and reconnects to US 22 around Frankstown Road.

Quote from: roadman65 on December 13, 2022, 04:59:11 AM
What's really odd is the turnpike like trumpet to trumpet interchange in Duncansville at US 22 and PA 764. Usually they're created for closed ticket tolling.

The interchange makes sense when you look at what's going on around it. The trumpet on the freeway mainline is basically forced to give some distance from the I-99 interchange.  If you don't want to signalize the 3-leg intersection at PA 764, the trumpet is the style that makes the most sense there.

74/171FAN

(For PA 309)  PennDOT - District 6 News: Roadway Construction, Traffic Shift Next Week on Route 309 (Sellersville Bypass) in West Rockhill Township

King of Prussia, PA — The Pennsylvania Department of Transportation (PennDOT) announced today that roadway construction will continue next week on Route 309 (Sellersville Bypass) in West Rockhill Township, Bucks County under a project to rehabilitate the pavement and repair several structures on a 9.1-mile section of the expressway.
Motorists are advised of the following travel restriction:
-   Monday, December 19, through Wednesday, December 21, from 9:00 AM to 3:00 PM, lane closures are scheduled on northbound and southbound Route 309 (Sellersville Bypass) between Route 563 (Ridge Road) and Rich Hill Road for barrier relocation and pavement marking installation.
Once the operations are completed, PennDOT's contractor will shift northbound and southbound Route 309 (Sellersville Bypass) traffic to the outer lanes to begin work on the left lanes.
Periodic weekday lane closures will also remain in place through early 2023 on northbound and/or southbound Route 309 (Sellersville Bypass) from Route 152 (State Road) to just north of Reliance Road for the rehabilitation of two bridges.
Motorists are advised to allow extra time when traveling through the work areas because backups and delays will occur. All scheduled activities are weather dependent.
Under this project, PennDOT's contractor will reconstruct and rehabilitate the Route 309 corridor (Sellersville Bypass) from Unionville Pike in Hatfield Township, Montgomery County, to just north of Rich Hill Road in Richland Township, Bucks County. The improvement plan includes the following:
-   Milling and overlay;
-   Reconstructing shoulders;
-   Installing new guide rail and median barrier;
-   Replacing two bridge superstructures;
-   Rehabilitating eight Route 309 bridges, four overhead bridges and four culverts;
-   Repairing concrete ditches;
-   Installing drainage improvements, new pavement markings and signs; and
-   Integrating Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS).
James D. Morrissey, Inc. of Philadelphia is the general contractor on the $54.6 million project, which is financed with 80 percent federal and 20 percent state funds. The entire project is scheduled to finish in summer 2024.
Motorists can check conditions on more than 40,000 roadway miles, including color-coded winter conditions on 2,900 miles, by visiting www.511PA.com. 511PA, which is free and available 24 hours a day, provides traffic delay warnings, weather forecasts, traffic speed information and access to more than 1,000 traffic cameras.
For a complete list of construction projects impacting state-owned highways in Bucks, Chester, Delaware, Montgomery and Philadelphia counties, visit the District 6 Traffic Bulletin.
Information about infrastructure in District 6, including completed work and significant projects, is available at www.penndot.pa.gov/D6Results. Find PennDOT's planned and active construction projects at www.projects.penndot.gov.
Subscribe to PennDOT District 6 news and traffic alerts at www.penndot.pa.gov/District6.
Follow PennDOT on Twitter and like the department on Facebook and Instagram.

MEDIA CONTACT: Brad Rudolph, 610-205-6800

(For US 202 SB)  PennDOT - District 6 News: PennDOT Reopens Markley Street/Main Street Intersection Following Reconstruction in Norristown

QuoteKing of Prussia, PA -- The Pennsylvania Department of Transportation (PennDOT) announced today that the Markley Street (U.S. 202 South) and Main Street Intersection in Norristown, Montgomery County has reopened to traffic. The intersection had been closed since Friday, December 2 for reconstruction under the ongoing Markley Street (U.S. 202 South) Improvement Project.

PennDOT's contractor rebuilt the intersection by removing the existing pavement and applying precast concrete slabs. New stormwater facilities were also installed to improve drainage.

Reconstruction of the southbound side of Markley Street (U.S. 202 South) is currently underway and expected to be completed in spring 2023. Construction on the entire improvement project is expected to finish in late 2023.

Allan Myers, LP, of Worcester, Montgomery County is the general contractor on the $25.7 million project, which is financed with 80% federal and 20% state funds.

Motorists can check conditions on more than 40,000 roadway miles, including color-coded winter conditions on 2,900 miles, by visiting www.511PA.com. 511PA, which is free and available 24 hours a day, provides traffic delay warnings, weather forecasts, traffic speed information and access to more than 1,000 traffic cameras.

For a complete list of construction projects impacting state-owned highways in Bucks, Chester, Delaware, Montgomery and Philadelphia counties, visit the District 6 Traffic Bulletin.

Information about infrastructure in District 6, including completed work and significant projects, is available at www.penndot.pa.gov/D6Results. Find PennDOT's planned and active construction projects at www.projects.penndot.gov.

Subscribe to PennDOT District 6 news and traffic alerts at www.penndot.pa.gov/District6.

Follow PennDOT on Twitter and like the department on Facebook and Instagram.

MEDIA CONTACT: Brad Rudolph, 610-205-6800
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

74/171FAN

ixnay

Quote from: 74/171FAN on December 15, 2022, 08:44:08 AM
Here we go again...

(For I-80)  PennDOT - District 3 News: Multi-Vehicle Crash Closes Interstate 80 WB in Northumberland and Union Counties

Looking at Google Maps traffic, all bets seem to be off between Milton and Strattanville (about 145 miles).

MASTERNC

It's bad enough all trucks have been banned on I-80 between I-79 and I-99.  You should see the trucks parked at the I-99 interchange.

roadman65

https://goo.gl/maps/Ts1GX55Nu41AVpeS7
Does US 220 ALT still exist?

See it's no longer signed on I-80.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

74/171FAN

Quote from: roadman65 on December 19, 2022, 12:44:53 PM

Yes, it is signed on the I-80 WB ramp to PA 150 SB.  (https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=10218015636502986&set=a.10218015778106526)

Someone may be able to convince me to remove the I-80/US 220 ALT concurrency in Travel Mapping though.

roadman65

https://goo.gl/maps/NhSzxYpM8dmVT6tZ8
I'm noticing this unusual signing of State College on I-80 West. It shows it 16 miles on the mileage sign, but it exits off I-80 just beyond the sign.

I'm not complaining, but pointing out the oddity of this. Yes US 220 is present here on I-80 so it should receive recognition with mileage controls as much as I-80 it is paired, I just think it's a freak coincidence this ended up here like it.

Sheryl Crowe

Bitmapped

Quote from: roadman65 on December 19, 2022, 12:44:53 PM

AFAIK, it's never been fully signed on any of the BGS along its route. What signage exists seems to be an afterthought. IMHO, downgrade it to a traffic route (probably in the x50 family) and move on. There's no reason for it to be signed as an alternate for US 220.

roadman65

I have an old photo of it at PA 150. Gribblenation featured it before it got closed and revamped later on. It has the ALT banner on top as PennDOT did it cheap when US 220 mainline was changed to ALT US 220 at Exit 158.

Before I-99 US 220 stayed one exit west on I-80 to Milesburg. So rather than order a new sign ( or signs) they added the banner next to the exit tab.

Sheryl Crowe

famartin

US 220 Alt exists for the same reason most alt and bus routes exist - to keep some traffic going on the old road for local business, and to keep some historical continuity going for locals. Will it eventually go away?  Possibly. But its not THAT old yet, so I can see it hanging around a bit longer.

amroad17

Quote from: roadman65 on December 19, 2022, 01:10:20 PM
I'm noticing this unusual signing of State College on I-80 West. It shows it 16 miles on the mileage sign, but it exits off I-80 just beyond the sign.

I'm not complaining, but pointing out the oddity of this. Yes US 220 is present here on I-80 so it should receive recognition with mileage controls as much as I-80 it is paired, I just think it's a freak coincidence this ended up here like it.
It appears this sign has been recently put up--maybe as a post interchange mileage sign for the recently opened Exit 163.  State College should be posted on the post interchange mileage sign west of Exit 178 in place of Clearfield (Milesburg 21/Bellefonte 22/State College 31).  No need to change the one west of Exit 173.

A question: will PA 26 be re-routed onto I-80 between Exits 161 and 163 when the I-80/I-99 West Interchange is complete?
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

famartin

Quote from: amroad17 on December 19, 2022, 11:36:02 PM

It appears this sign has been recently put up--maybe as a post interchange mileage sign for the recently opened Exit 163.  State College should be posted on the post interchange mileage sign west of Exit 178 in place of Clearfield (Milesburg 21/Bellefonte 22/State College 31).  No need to change the one west of Exit 173.

A question: will PA 26 be re-routed onto I-80 between Exits 161 and 163 when the I-80/I-99 West Interchange is complete?

A google search reveals schematics that would suggest it will be, but they don't make it explicit.

74/171FAN

Quote from: famartin on December 20, 2022, 12:01:10 AM

A google search reveals schematics that would suggest it will be, but they don't make it explicit.

I believe so, but I question why it was not done now.

roadman65

According to local news sources, it was originally put on the back burner until two politicians who lived in the area put a push just to get this far.
https://wjactv.com/news/local/first-phase-of-interstate-99i-80-interchange-project-complete

Sheryl Crowe

Bitmapped

Quote from: 74/171FAN on December 20, 2022, 06:34:15 AM

Why complicate the routing by entering and exiting a freeway and adding a turn when staying straight gets you to the exact same place in a comparable amount of time? I don't see any advantage to re-routing PA 26 before I-99 is disconnected from the local road network.

Quote from: roadman65 on December 20, 2022, 07:49:25 AM
According to local news sources, it was originally put on the back burner until two politicians who lived in the area put a push just to get this far.
https://wjactv.com/news/local/first-phase-of-interstate-99i-80-interchange-project-complete

They're not just random local politicians, they're two of the most powerful legislators in their respective houses which I'm sure didn't hurt. That being said, I'd take anything a politician says about taking credit for construction with a large grain of salt.

roadman65

Quote from: Bitmapped on December 20, 2022, 05:34:43 PM
Quote from: 74/171FAN on December 20, 2022, 06:34:15 AM

Why complicate the routing by entering and exiting a freeway and adding a turn when staying straight gets you to the exact same place in a comparable amount of time? I don't see any advantage to re-routing PA 26 before I-99 is disconnected from the local road network.

Quote from: roadman65 on December 20, 2022, 07:49:25 AM

They're not just random local politicians, they're two of the most powerful legislators in their respective houses which I'm sure didn't hurt. That being said, I'd take anything a politician says about taking credit for construction with a large grain of salt.

I never said they weren't big names.

I said that originally the interchange project was low priority. If anything, you complimented my point that these two politicians have gotten it done, which is the nature of the news report.

Sheryl Crowe

roadman65

https://goo.gl/maps/eD1FTHmDvuRRH7no8
This here intersection on SB 3rd Street at US 22 and PA 248 was once a major highway terminus in PA.

PA Route 115 used to travel further south of US 209 via a wrong way overlap to Snydersville and then a bunch of other roads to Easton and end here.

It was the present PA 33 freeway that forced PennDOT to truncate PA 115 to where it ends today and relinquish it to local control.  In fact some old maps show PA 33 was to be numbered PA 115 when first built, however it was later changed.

https://goo.gl/maps/batqubwaHYTKZAuP7
This is WB on PA 248 still with a copied guide from when PA 115 existed in Easton, PA. Notice the Stroudsburg reference. Obviously it considered US 209 north of Snydersville as a route to there and PennDOT hasn't noticed it still.

Sheryl Crowe

74/171FAN

CE Expert System Update:

District 1:

PA 426 Bridge Replacement (approved 12/16/2022)

District 3:

PA 87 Truss Replacement over Loyalsock Creek 

District 6:

PA 401 over Pickering Creek

74/171FAN

Crown Victoria

You may be paying just a few cents more for gas and diesel in PA starting tomorrow...

Act 89 of 2013 provides for an annual calculation of the average wholesale price of gas and diesel each year, with a floor of $2.99 per gallon, from which the fuel taxes are calculated. For the first time since Act 89 came into effect, that price has exceeded the floor, so taxes are going up.

I believe California and Illinois are also increasing their fuel taxes, so this will still leave PA at #3 for gasoline taxes.

https://www.pennlive.com/news/2022/12/blame-rise-in-pa-gas-tax-for-likely-increase-at-the-pump-in-january.html

https://www.pacodeandbulletin.gov/Display/pabull?file=/secure/pabulletin/data/vol52/52-50/1906.html

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

PennDOT - District 10 News: Utility Work to Begin on Next Stage of Freedom Road Expansion in Butler County (Cranberry Township)

PennDOT - Statewide News: Governor Wolf Announces 32 Municipalities to Improve Traffic Safety with Red Light Enforcement Funds

Quote​Harrisburg, PA — Governor Tom Wolf today announced that the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation (PennDOT) will distribute approximately $15 million in Automated Red-Light Enforcement (ARLE) funding to 32 municipalities statewide to fund 36 safety projects.

Pennsylvania's ARLE program aims to improve safety at signalized intersections by providing automated enforcement at locations where data shows red-light running has been an issue.

"This program helps communities across the state make important investments in traffic flow and safety," Gov. Wolf said. "These improvements complement the many road, bridge and multimodal projects happening in Pennsylvania."

Grant funding is supplied by fines from red light violations at 36 intersections in Philadelphia. State law specifies that projects improving safety, enhancing mobility and reducing congestion can be considered for funding. Municipalities submitted 151 applications, totaling $46 million in requests.

Projects were selected by an eight-member committee based on criteria such as safety benefits and effectiveness, cost, and local and regional impact. This investment brings the total dollars awarded through the ARLE funding program to $127.79 million, funding 537 transportation enhancement projects since 2010.

The 36 approved projects are as follows:

Adams County

Conewago Township - $55,094 for guide rail safety improvements.
Allegheny County

Carnegie Borough - $10,422 to install radar feedback signs on Forsythe Road.
Coraopolis Borough - $298,250 for traffic signal replacement to include overhead signals to reduce redlight running and pedestrian accommodations.
Hampton Township - $175,000 for S. Pioneer Road roadway safety improvements to include replacing out of date guiderail.
McCandless Township - $451,483 for signal component updates project at 21 locations throughout the municipality. Upgrades include accessible pedestrian signals, equipment for flashing yellow arrow operations, controller replacements and rewiring of existing signal equipment.
Penn Hills Township - $565,292 for traffic signal replacement at Frankstown Road (SR 0400) & Beulah Road (SR 0130).
Butler County

Butler Township - $249,504 for Pittsburgh Street & McCalmont Road/Vogel Road traffic signal modernization. Improvements include new mast arms to replace strain poles, new signal heads and reflectorized back plates.
Cranberry Township - $350,000 for Route 19 and Short Street traffic signal upgrade and modernization. Improvements include new mast arms to support additional signal heads, new controller to allow for advanced signal timings.
Penn Township - $446,706 for signal replacement and reconfiguration at Route 8 and Airport Road to include new mast arms to replace strain poles.
Dauphin County

Londonderry Township - $32,421 for Colebrook Road (SR 341) and Schoolhouse Road (T-494) intersection warning signals.
Delaware County

Chester City - $115,831 to improve PA 291 and 322 off-ramp/Jeffrey Street Traffic Signal. This project will convert the intersection from a flashing red/yellow configuration to a fully signalized intersection.
Radnor Township - $120,350 for a bridge height warning system at the SEPTA underpass on King of Prussia Road.
Yeadon Borough — $287,000 for MacDade Boulevard & Church Lane traffic signal and pedestrian accommodation improvements.
Erie County

Erie City - $395,769 for installation of 30 accessible pedestrian signal buttons to improve pedestrian safety.
Fayette County

Fayette County - $352,000 for Bullskin Township signal upgrades at three intersections along US 119. Improvements include radar detection systems to allow for more streamlined flows of traffic, siren preemption systems and battery back-up systems to allow the equipment to operate during outages which frequently happen along this roadway due to flooding.
Franklin County

Waynesboro Borough - $49,000 for the replacement of flashing school signs and the installation of speed limit driver feedback signs.
Lancaster County

East Petersburg Borough - $113,600 for traffic signal upgrades at SR 72/Enterprise Road and SR 72/Miller Road. Improvements include stop bar radar detection, advanced radar detection, pedestrian countdown timers and reflectorized back plates.
Ephrata Borough - $222,400 for intersection safety and signal improvements at three intersections in the Borough. Improvements include radar detection, pedestrian improvements and new mast arms.
Lebanon County

Heidelberg Township - $12,823 to install solar radar speed signs at the approaches to the intersection of Route 501 and East and West Reistville Road.
Lycoming County

Montoursville Borough - $465,000 for SR 2014 and Walnut Street traffic signal replacement.
Muncy Borough - $162,000 for pedestrian crosswalks safety improvements. This project will implement pedestrian activated rectangular rapid flash beacons (RRFB), high-visibility pavement markings, flexible post pedestrian crosswalk signs, approach crossing signage and LED in-roadway warning light (IRWL) crosswalk system.
Mercer County

Sharon City - $400,000 for State Street traffic signal and pedestrian improvements, including performing a traffic timings study, implementing a coordination plan, and updating intersections to include pedestrian pushbuttons and GPS timeclocks as required.
Springfield Township - $413,500 for signal equipment improvements including replacement of the existing flashing beacons, emergency vehicle preemption, radar vehicular detection, battery backup power supply, and vehicular signal heads with retroreflective backplates.
Mifflin County

Derry Township - $306,500 for Electric Avenue/Logan Boulevard Corridor Signal Upgrades to include coordinating 5 traffic signals.
Monroe County

Delaware Water Gap Borough - $52,725 for the placement of three electronic radar speed limit display signs.
Montgomery County

Cheltenham Township - $420,250 for traffic signal equipment upgrades at three intersections to include installation of ADA compliant pedestrian pushbuttons and countdown pedestrian signal heads.
Cheltenham Township - $343,700 for traffic signal equipment and pavement marking upgrades at the intersection of Rices Mill Road and Glenside Avenue.
Lansdale Borough - $156,000 to install two (2) ground mounted controllers, perform traffic counts, update timings, new pedestrian signal heads and push buttons and retroreflective backplates.
Northampton County

Northampton Borough - $156,538 for the installation of the Main Street/10th Street/Nor-Bath Trail pedestrian rectangular rapid flashing beacon.
Philadelphia County

Philadelphia City - $7,000,000.00 for the following 4 programs in the city: Citywide Intersection Modifications, Modern Roundabouts, Bike Network Curb Separation and Citywide Traffic Calming.
Pike County

Milford Borough - $19,080 to purchase and install electronic speed display signs at the four (4) main entrances to the Borough.
Westmoreland County

Salem Township - $389,000 for US 22 Traffic Signal Safety Upgrade Project to include LED vehicular signals with reflectorized backplates, LED "SIGNAL AHEAD" over the road warning flashers, LED pedestrian count down signals and Pedestrian latching push buttons.
York County

Hanover Borough - $487,287 for Downtown Route 94/116/194 Traffic Congestion & Pedestrian Safety Improvements. To include modernizing the intersections to include APS pedestrian signals, 3-second advance pedestrian phasing, flashing yellow arrow signals, 12-inch signals, and high visibility crosswalks at both intersections, and a new controller cabinet/assembly and signal mast arm poles at the Center Square intersection to accommodate the flashing yellow arrow signals.

For more information, visit PennDOT's website.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.