News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Tree removal in median of I-70 between Amaranth and Crystal Spring

Started by IMGoph, July 06, 2023, 11:06:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IMGoph

Does anyone have a source that discusses the removal of acres of trees in the median of Interstate 70 along Rays Hill between Amaranth and Crystal Spring? They are in the process of removing more trees than I have ever seen for just a usual trimming/maintenance project. Seems highly unlikely that 70 will ever be widened through there, either (the traffic surely does not justify that).

Thanks!

Road Hog

The same thing happened in the wide median of I-30 in Arkansas between Hope and Prescott about five years ago roughly. Changed the whole character of the freeway, for worse in my opinion.

Rothman

Is the emerald ash borer an issue down there?  That invasive insect has caused a lot of clearing in NY.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Road Hog

Ash trees don't typically grow wild in Arkansas. These were mostly pines. Here is the ARDOT press release that I don't agree with. Most of their reasons are BS:

http://www.magnoliareporter.com/news_and_business/regional_news/article_65c089d8-93f8-11e9-9bbf-735f5b8db852.html

RoadWarrior56

I don't know the details of the tree removals in this thread, but tree removal within the right-of-way of Interstate Highways throughout Georgia is very common, and the main reason is to maintain the Clear Zone.  So it is done for the purpose of safety, if there is not a construction project involved.

Over a period of years, trees can start to grow and thicken relatively close to the roadway.   They seem to do the trimming every 10 years or so.

IMGoph

The elevation difference between the north/west and south/east bound lanes through this section is often nearly 100 feet. It's not a level spot. I have a suspicion that it may just have been to make the view of the valley more clear for south/east bound traffic.

Quote from: RoadWarrior56 on July 07, 2023, 06:19:25 AM
I don't know the details of the tree removals in this thread, but tree removal within the right-of-way of Interstate Highways throughout Georgia is very common, and the main reason is to maintain the Clear Zone.  So it is done for the purpose of safety, if there is not a construction project involved.

Over a period of years, trees can start to grow and thicken relatively close to the roadway.   They seem to do the trimming every 10 years or so.

jmacswimmer

When I was last on that stretch of I-70 in April 2022 they were removing all trees in the wide median between the Turnpike overpass and the US 30 intersection as part of a larger resurfacing project. Is I-70 also being resurfaced in the area you mention?

Article I found from March 2022 detailing what was done in the 3.5-mile stretch from Breezewood to the Fulton County line:
https://www.bedfordgazette.com/news/local/work-planned-on-i-70-u-s-30-in-east-providence/article_5eff9a11-717e-5687-9fc5-416d95ca037c.html
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

CtrlAltDel

For completeness, I feel that it's worthy of note that the section of I-70 in the OP is in Pennsylvania.

Quote from: Road Hog on July 06, 2023, 11:17:57 PM
The same thing happened in the wide median of I-30 in Arkansas between Hope and Prescott about five years ago roughly. Changed the whole character of the freeway, for worse in my opinion.

I drove I-30 between Texarkana and Little Rock just this past May and there was another round of clearing going on, I can't quite remember where though.

I have to admit that I have concerns about the character of the road, as you point out. It's a personal thing, admittedly, but I like when the trees line up with the piers of the overpasses and hides them a bit. I couldn't tell you why, but it gives the overpasses something of a quaint charming look.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

IMGoph

Ah, shit, sorry! I thought I posted this in the Pennsylvania board, so that would be obvious, but now I see I posted it in "Northeast." Thanks for the clarification for folks who aren't familiar with the tiny burgs mentioned!

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on July 07, 2023, 12:48:53 PM
For completeness, I feel that it's worthy of note that the section of I-70 in the OP is in Pennsylvania.

Quote from: Road Hog on July 06, 2023, 11:17:57 PM

I drove I-30 between Texarkana and Little Rock just this past May and there was another round of clearing going on, I can't quite remember where though.

I have to admit that I have concerns about the character of the road, as you point out. It's a personal thing, admittedly, but I like when the trees line up with the piers of the overpasses and hides them a bit. I couldn't tell you why, but it gives the overpasses something of a quaint charming look.

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: IMGoph on July 07, 2023, 02:11:31 PM
Ah, shit, sorry! I thought I posted this in the Pennsylvania board, so that would be obvious, but now I see I posted it in "Northeast." Thanks for the clarification for folks who aren't familiar with the tiny burgs mentioned!

To be fair, Pennsylvania is the only state of this regional board that I-70 runs through. I just find these little kinds of clarifications helpful.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

DevalDragon

I was wondering the same thing when I drove thru there last week. Not only are the trees gone, but all the original button copy signs as well. A complete loss of character for the road. Perhaps they'll raise the 55 mph limit when they're done?

On the bright side, there's a much better view of the valley from the eastbound lanes than there was before.

cockroachking

Quote from: DevalDragon on August 16, 2023, 04:00:12 PM
Perhaps they'll raise the 55 mph limit when they're done?
I would imagine that the sharp curves and crappy acceleration/deceleration lanes would preclude PennDOT from posting a 65 or 70mph speed limit, though I hope I am wrong.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.