News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Mass DPW December 1969 report to Gov. Sargent: status, maps of MA interstates

Started by kurumi, November 01, 2023, 05:48:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kurumi

My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

Alps

bjcolby50

That was an interesting read...the things that could have been (I-895, I-695), plus the things that were but later changed (I-93, I-95, I-495)...

pderocco

Since I-895 was intended to lengthen the I-295 loop, why wouldn't they have just called it I-295?

Also, the document has reasonably nice graphics, but it's amusing that all the text was typed on an ordinary typewriter.

Alps

Quote from: pderocco on November 05, 2023, 06:25:41 PM
Since I-895 was intended to lengthen the I-295 loop, why wouldn't they have just called it I-295?

Also, the document has reasonably nice graphics, but it's amusing that all the text was typed on an ordinary typewriter.

My guess is because I-895's routing had a few different options and didn't necessary connect in a full loop, and RI probably was looking to avoid having two different sections of I-295 with the same mileposting (or figuring out how to milepost the second part).

SectorZ

Quote from: Alps on November 06, 2023, 06:53:42 PM
Quote from: pderocco on November 05, 2023, 06:25:41 PM

My guess is because I-895's routing had a few different options and didn't necessary connect in a full loop, and RI probably was looking to avoid having two different sections of I-295 with the same mileposting (or figuring out how to milepost the second part).

I've seen multiple different plans for 895 that came and went at different times, all the same general idea but with a different routing. I imagine this, coupled with the planned 895 using the Jamestown Bridge which would have it ending much farther south than the 95/295 junction in RI, are reasons why it was given a different number from the planning stages.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.