News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Non-neutered Texas Shields

Started by bassoon1986, September 14, 2011, 07:54:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bassoon1986

I found a chunk of non neutered Texas shields for I-30 this past weekend in Arlington, all around the Rangers stadium. There were a few I couldn't snap due to traffic, but I'll get them next trip. There's an old one, a dark blue "to I-30" sign in particular on Great SDW Pkwy near Randol Mill:

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ll=32.748157,-97.04567&spn=0.011983,0.038581&t=m&z=15&vpsrc=6&layer=c&cbll=32.748158,-97.045698&panoid=urQx5nrfjmuFliIeWnLiIw&cbp=11,21.78,,0,16.72

here's the shields on my flickr:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/geojosh/6146675413/in/photostream

Alps

Reminds me of the Michigan I-96s in... Livonia? (Not looking at a map) They're not that old, whereas the state name hasn't been otherwise used in decades.

NE2

Texas is full of non-neutered shields.

Oh, you meant Interstates?
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

formulanone

I-35 around the San Antonio area had some non-neutered shields, but I didn't catch any in the DFW area along I-30. Good finds.

US71

I found this a couple years ago in Sulphur Springs, but I think it's gone now.

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

agentsteel53

live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Brian556

There are several non-neutered shields on I-35E in Lewisville. There is one in south Denton, and a few new HIP-sheeted contractor posted ones north of Sanger on I-35.

Brian556

Found this one today in Irving. It could be as old as this section of I-635, 1979-81 time frame

Scott5114

In case anyone didn't see, they're erecting some new non-neutered shields on I-69 in TX. (Pics exist in another thread)
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Brian556

QuoteIn case anyone didn't see, they're erecting some new non-neutered shields on I-69 in TX. (Pics exist in another thread)

Yeah, I noticed that. I'm sure it was due to the fact that they needed to advertize that a portion I-69 was now signed in TEXAS

Alex

Quote from: Brian556 on December 14, 2011, 12:27:54 AM
QuoteIn case anyone didn't see, they're erecting some new non-neutered shields on I-69 in TX. (Pics exist in another thread)

Yeah, I noticed that. I'm sure it was due to the fact that they needed to advertize that a portion I-69 was now signed in TEXAS

That was part of the MO for adding Texas to the I-69 shields. There's more to the story than that however, and the results are far more reaching as the state name is slated to return to all Interstate shields.  :biggrin:

Brian556

QuoteThat was part of the MO for adding Texas to the I-69 shields. There's more to the story than that however, and the results are far more reaching as the state name is slated to return to all Interstate shields. 

All Shields in Texas or the USA? What's the rest of the story?

Alps

Quote from: Brian556 on December 18, 2011, 07:09:49 PM
QuoteThat was part of the MO for adding Texas to the I-69 shields. There's more to the story than that however, and the results are far more reaching as the state name is slated to return to all Interstate shields. 

All Shields in Texas or the USA? What's the rest of the story?
Texas. It remains an option across the country, though many more states are starting to return to it. (NJ does it more often than not, though they went through a stretch with mostly neutered shields - depends on the designer and contractor, because the state has no sign shop.)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.