News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Minor things that bother you

Started by planxtymcgillicuddy, November 27, 2019, 12:15:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott5114

You're welcome, to the both of you.

I don't think it's necessarily a bad idea myself. Having been someone in the position of working for tips, I appreciate that the system gives the driver the freedom to choose the runs they feel are worth the compensation. I also like that the customer is essentially able to pay for the privilege of receiving top priority should their finances allow it, and that money goes directly to the driver. And, of course, paying a driver frees you up to do something else while the food is being made and delivered.

But, yes, if you're in a position to pick up the food yourself, that's always going to result in the best outcome for you as a customer, since it's cheaper, you have much more control over the food, and it eliminates the risk of your order getting double-booked with another order. I once watched a late-night IHOP order of mine tour the entire city of Norman as the driver picked up what appeared to be five orders at once and distributed them around town.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

formulanone

We're roadgeeks, right? We should be picking up our own food on the order of 90-100% of the time now.

Scott5114

Quote from: formulanone on March 07, 2022, 08:19:39 PM
We're roadgeeks, right? We should be picking up our own food on the order of 90-100% of the time now.

Eh...I mean, I like a good road trip as much as anyone, but that doesn't mean I find the trip down Classen to Buffalo Wild Wings and dealing with the Classen/12th/Constitution clusterfuck fun or interesting.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: tolbs17 on March 07, 2022, 07:07:30 PM
That i have severe ADHD

I was more bothered by the social label ADHD came with in the 80s and 90s than actually having it.  Back in those days you got stuck in the Resource Room for having ADHD by default.  It was a convenient excuse to get away with a lot of things that I otherwise wouldn't have been high school.

kkt

If I'm isolating at home I'm not going to walk into some restaurant or store to spread my disease around no matter how much I enjoy a drive.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: kkt on March 07, 2022, 09:02:18 PM

If I'm isolating at home I'm not going to walk into some restaurant or store to spread my disease around no matter how much I enjoy a drive.

Amusingly the last time I used Door Dash was when I was throwing up overnight in a hotel room.  I had a nasty migraine and was getting vertigo from it.  I would have gladly not incurred the trip fee if I can actually focus enough to get in the car and go to the drug store.

jeffandnicole

As much as we like a good drive, we also like a good walk, run, sitting on a bus, train or plane. 

Or, just staying home.

Taking the same trip to the same restaurants, knowing nothing has changed, is a drive I don't mind not doing on occasion.

tolbs17

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on March 07, 2022, 08:33:08 PM
That i have severe ADHD

I was more bothered by the social label ADHD came with in the 80s and 90s than actually having it.  Back in those days you got stuck in the Resource Room for having ADHD by default.  It was a convenient excuse to get away with a lot of things that I otherwise wouldn't have been high school.
Examples are, aggression, hyperactivity (not sitting still), attention, and excessive talking.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: tolbs17 on March 07, 2022, 09:10:04 PM
That i have severe ADHD

Examples are, aggression, hyperactivity (not sitting still), attention, and excessive talking.

Yes, very much aware of what the symptoms are.  I am in retrospect amused that people were so concerned that a child (seven year old me) didn't like school, became bored easily and had lots of energy.  I did get into lots of fights, but that was normal for boys at the time.  I was never much for talking, really even now.

Scott5114

A friend of mine has ADHD and one day he said "You know, you have a lot of the same symptoms I do." I looked into what the symptoms of it were, and sure enough, I'm pretty sure I do have it, though I haven't sought professional diagnosis yet. Most of my symptoms are more along the lines of executive dysfunction and getting distracted easily. I've never heard of aggression being a symptom of it.

formulanone

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on March 07, 2022, 09:05:55 PM

Amusingly the last time I used Door Dash was when I was throwing up overnight in a hotel room.  I had a nasty migraine and was getting vertigo from it.  I would have gladly not incurred the trip fee if I can actually focus enough to get in the car and go to the drug store.

So that's the 10% I left room for...or when you're incredibly busy and can't get it yourself. Make up whatever percentage you want.

My point is there's a solution to feeding a corporate monster not everyone here likes, and it's part of our hobby. Seems disingenuous for us to act as if there's no solution to the problem.

Max Rockatansky

^^^

Totally one of the few times I would have been ever okay paying $50 dollars for a carton of Gatorade and generic pain medication.

Quote from: Scott5114 on March 08, 2022, 05:52:00 AM
A friend of mine has ADHD and one day he said "You know, you have a lot of the same symptoms I do." I looked into what the symptoms of it were, and sure enough, I'm pretty sure I do have it, though I haven't sought professional diagnosis yet. Most of my symptoms are more along the lines of executive dysfunction and getting distracted easily. I've never heard of aggression being a symptom of it.

Essentially I'm convinced that ADHD was way over diagnosed, especially the further back in time you go.  A lot of the symptoms seem like normal behavior for a child.  I'm not sure how having abundant energy at any age is supposedly a bad thing.  I do feel like a lot people who had been "diagnosed"  used it in the past as a crutch to make excuses for their behavior.  I know that I took advantage of naive teachers and adults to get away with things other kids who weren't diagnosed could not.  That's not even getting into things like those horrid mood altering drugs like Ritalin did.   

webny99

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on March 08, 2022, 08:03:43 AM

Essentially I'm convinced that ADHD was way over diagnosed, especially the further back in time you go.  A lot of the symptoms seem like normal behavior for a child.  I'm not sure how having abundant energy at any age is supposedly a bad thing.  I do feel like a lot people who had been "diagnosed"  used it in the past as a crutch to make excuses for their behavior.  I know that I took advantage of naive teachers and adults to get away with things other kids who weren't diagnosed could not.  That's not even getting into things like those horrid mood altering drugs like Ritalin did.

A friend of mine who has ADHD (definitely actually has it, not misdiagnosed) is one of the smartest people I know. He can do absolutely anything hands-on, and can understand pretty much any concept right away, he just has/had trouble channeling his energy to focus on anything for more than a minute, so reading/writing/etc. were challenging for him.

And what you said about taking advantage of teachers and other staff to do things other kids couldn't... wow, that's spot on as well.

abefroman329

I was screened for ADD as an adult by a psychologist about seven years ago, and I highly recommend it.

I didn't think I had it because I could focus on a single task for hours at a time, but it turns out that's also a symptom of ADD.

kphoger

Essentially I'm convinced that ADHD was way over diagnosed, especially the further back in time you go.  A lot of the symptoms seem like normal behavior for a child.

Especially a male child.  As I once heard it said:  That's not ADHD, that's called being a boy.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: abefroman329 on March 08, 2022, 09:00:44 AM
I was screened for ADD as an adult by a psychologist about seven years ago, and I highly recommend it.

The fact that I can sit down for 8 hours and write detailed highway articles with noise and potential distraction around is enough evidence to tell me I don't have issues with paying attention. 

Quote from: kphoger on March 08, 2022, 10:01:54 AM
Essentially I'm convinced that ADHD was way over diagnosed, especially the further back in time you go.  A lot of the symptoms seem like normal behavior for a child.

Especially a male child.  As I once heard it said:  That's not ADHD, that's called being a boy.

Pretty much that is my exact though.  Even my 6 year old niece meets all those attributes. 

zachary_amaryllis

That i have severe ADHD

i spent yerars in the 'resource room' and rode the short bus. not for adhd, though. i was jus a weird kid.
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

zachary_amaryllis

Quote from: formulanone on March 08, 2022, 07:52:39 AM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on March 07, 2022, 09:05:55 PM

So that's the 10% I left room for...or when you're incredibly busy and can't get it yourself. Make up whatever percentage you want.

My point is there's a solution to feeding a corporate monster not everyone here likes, and it's part of our hobby. Seems disingenuous for us to act as if there's no solution to the problem.
i promise, you'll have a much better time talking to me on the phone than you will clicking buttons on a delivery app. plus, i'll look for discounts for you. doordash doesn't do that, at least with our store.
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

hbelkins

It was more or less called "hyperactive" when I was young.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: zachary_amaryllis on March 08, 2022, 12:18:20 PM
That i have severe ADHD

i spent yerars in the 'resource room' and rode the short bus. not for adhd, though. i was jus a weird kid.

Amusing tidbit about the Resource Room in high school.  During my Junior Year I installed emulators onto the school shared drive and hid the programs under several layers of files.  Basically I used Resource Room as my opportunity to install the software given we had cubicles at the computer and I was left alone so long as I looked busy.  My friends I knew where the emulator files were and we spent most of Resource Room hour playing Super Nintendo or Sega Genesis with the volume off.  The files stayed on the school network my entire Senior year and by the time I was about graduate I noticed some kids in the library found where they were.

abefroman329

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on March 08, 2022, 08:03:43 AMEssentially I'm convinced that ADHD was way over diagnosed, especially the further back in time you go.
I don't know that ADHD started becoming over-diagnosed until about twenty years ago.  It certainly was never suggested by anyone that I had it, despite having a number of symptoms, and I was born in 1979.

jeffandnicole

When I was growing up, I never heard of anyone having ADHD, or even ADD for that matter.  When they did become the terminology, it seemed a lot of people were labeled with it, even when they were "boys being boys", or someone that simply had an intense interest in something.

kkt

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on March 08, 2022, 12:51:13 PM
Quote from: zachary_amaryllis on March 08, 2022, 12:18:20 PM
That i have severe ADHD

Amusing tidbit about the Resource Room in high school.  During my Junior Year I installed emulators onto the school shared drive and hid the programs under several layers of files.  Basically I used Resource Room as my opportunity to install the software given we had cubicles at the computer and I was left alone so long as I looked busy.  My friends I knew where the emulator files were and we spent most of Resource Room hour playing Super Nintendo or Sega Genesis with the volume off.  The files stayed on the school network my entire Senior year and by the time I was about graduate I noticed some kids in the library found where they were.

:clap:

abefroman329

Quote from: jeffandnicole on March 08, 2022, 01:16:18 PM"boys being boys"
Now there's an attitude that needs to die a quick death.

kphoger

Quote from: abefroman329 on March 09, 2022, 10:04:36 AM

Quote from: jeffandnicole on March 08, 2022, 01:16:18 PM
"boys being boys"

Now there's an attitude that needs to die a quick death.

As parents of three boys, my wife and I actually find ourselves trying hard to keep it alive.  If we didn't, then they'd get in trouble for every little thing they do or don't do.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.