News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Minor things that bother you

Started by planxtymcgillicuddy, November 27, 2019, 12:15:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MultiMillionMiler

8 hours is shorter than 12, don't you think? And we probably wouldn't switch, I'd want to do all the driving, as just sitting in a car without driving gets boring very fast. But I wouldn't waste a road trip on 600-700 miles. I'd drive across the country. What's the fun of driving through Virginia and I-77 when you could be on I-80 going to California? California, Oregon, Nevada, Nebraska are 4 of my 5 favorite states, so of course that would be the better road trip. Besides the fastest route there involves I-78 in PA which is a very shitty road.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on December 22, 2022, 11:23:49 AM
8 hours is shorter than 12, don't you think? And we probably wouldn't switch, I'd want to do all the driving, as just sitting in a car without driving gets boring very fast. But I wouldn't waste a road trip on 600-700 miles. I'd drive across the country. What's the fun of driving through Virginia and I-77 when you could be on I-80 going to California? California, Oregon, Nevada, Nebraska are 4 of my 5 favorite states, so of course that would be the better road trip. Besides the fastest route there involves I-78 in PA which is a very shitty road.

And you say you want to be the guy who drives 2,000,000 miles.  :rolleyes:

1995hoo

WTF? Wouldn't it be much easier if you just drove to every damn destination?
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Max Rockatansky

Of course not, that means driving through scary curves on the PA Turnpike and shitty roads you don't like I-78.

MultiMillionMiler

Quote from: 1995hoo on December 22, 2022, 11:31:14 AM

No, because I would have a day less of Fury325 riding time. That was the main purpose of the trip. Road trips are better when you have nothing else to do and no destinations along the route you wish to see, since you can devote 99% of the time to driving.

MultiMillionMiler

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 22, 2022, 11:33:06 AM
Of course not, that means driving through scary curves on the PA Turnpike and shitty roads you don't like I-78.

The construction zones and potholes on 78 in PA were scarier than anything on the Penn Turnpike to be honest. That was a major thing that bothered me driving to Harrisburg last month. Fix that damn road!

Max Rockatansky

^^^

Do you even realize how much of a wuss you sound like when you profess being afraid of limited access highways?

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on December 22, 2022, 11:35:25 AM

No, because I would have a day less of Fury325 riding time. That was the main purpose of the trip. Road trips are better when you have nothing else to do and no destinations along the route you wish to see, since you can devote 99% of the time to driving.

And there it is, you aren't a real "Roadgeek."   You don't have enthusiasm about roads and travel, at best you are a rollercoaster enthusiast.  Sorry, I don't think this hobby gives out the participation trophies you're accustomed to getting.

Max Rockatansky

Do you think 20,000 miles driven in a year recreationally impresses me?  Why are you even on this forum if you don't like roads?  There is plenty of basic tourism pages that sound way more your speed.

kirbykart

No. Just no.

What's the point of going somewhere if you don't get out of the car and see the things that are there?

MultiMillionMiler

Because you have to exit the interstate. It's torture having to get off a beautiful highway to go to your destination when there is more highway in front of you. One minor thing that bothers me is when the road is curvy, and it is finally about to straighten out, but my exit is just before the straight section. Sometimes I feel tempted to drive the length of the straight section and backtrack, to not leave the good stretches of the road out.

skluth

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 22, 2022, 11:55:51 AM
Do you think 20,000 miles driven in a year recreationally impresses me?  Why are you even on this forum if you don't like roads?  There is plenty of basic tourism pages that sound way more your speed.

20K miles in a year is fine for a road geek. I've only hit that a couple times in my life and things are much farther apart wherever I've lived compared MMMs home in the Northeast. My typical annual driving was 10-12k even in the Midwest. It's down to about 10k since I retired but it stays that high because I'm in So Cal now; I'd probably be down to about 6k per year if I still lived in St Louis even with regular trips to my family in Wisconsin. Everything from Texas west requires a lot more driving that anything from the Mississippi east unless you're in Florida which is also bigger (at least lengthwise) than most people who've never been there think. I may not understand MMMs issues with curves on the Penn Turnpike but 20k is impressive enough for anyone in the NE Corridor.

ZLoth

Quote from: kirbykart on December 22, 2022, 12:00:42 PM

No. Just no.

What's the point of going somewhere if you don't get out of the car and see the things that are there?

That's why, when I go on a multiday road trip, I try to limit myself to 250 to 300 miles per day. 300 miles at 60 mph means five hours of driving per day. While it's a bit low, it allows the time to drive rather than driving for time, and take in the sights, make stops along the way, and r-e-l-a-x. Even stop by a small mom-and-pop restaurant. And some of the back roads have lower speed limits, so 300 miles per day at 50 mph means six hours of driving per day.
Why does "END ROAD WORK" sound like a protest sign?

formulanone

Quote from: skluth on December 22, 2022, 12:13:52 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 22, 2022, 11:55:51 AM
Do you think 20,000 miles driven in a year recreationally impresses me?  Why are you even on this forum if you don’t like roads?  There is plenty of basic tourism pages that sound way more your speed.

20K miles in a year is fine for a road geek. I've only hit that a couple times in my life and things are much farther apart wherever I've lived compared MMMs home in the Northeast. My typical annual driving was 10-12k even in the Midwest. It's down to about 10k since I retired but it stays that high because I'm in So Cal now; I'd probably be down to about 6k per year if I still lived in St Louis even with regular trips to my family in Wisconsin. Everything from Texas west requires a lot more driving that anything from the Mississippi east unless you're in Florida which is also bigger (at least lengthwise) than most people who've never been there think. I may not understand MMMs issues with curves on the Penn Turnpike but 20k is impressive enough for anyone in the NE Corridor.

20,000 is actually plenty of miles in a year, since the national average seems to vary from 13,000-14,000. There's a few people here who do 30/40/50K per year which is definitely on the extreme side of things for those who aren't in transportation/delivery jobs, but those are still outliers.

I might hover between 15,000-30,000 driven a year but I also live/work where there's some decent stretches of open road.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on December 22, 2022, 12:26:54 PM
My record is about 22,000-22,500 in 1 year. And when I get a job and can afford more gas/tolls, that number is going to Skyrocket, especially since my job will likely also involve driving. Traffic is horrible in the northeast, but that doesn't deter me. And my commute to college wasn't that long, so 98% of it was joyriding. Many people's yearly mileage comes at least half from work. Mine is usually for fun or to get familiar with as many roads as I can. I also do road research, such as resetting my tripodometer right before a long straight section of road so I can measure how long it is. So far, the longest straight stretch of the Penn Turnpike, is tied with the longest straight stretch of the Jersey Turnpike, at 11.8 miles. (And I mean perfectly straight stretches, the slightest veer to the right or left, and the trip gets reset). In doing so I have also discovered some mile markers that aren't accurate, and should be adjusted.

@Zloth

I do driving to relax.

No wonder why curves are so dangerous. You're constantly fiddling with the trip odometer while you are turning the wheel.

kirbykart

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on December 22, 2022, 12:11:46 PM
Because you have to exit the interstate. It's torture having to get off a beautiful highway to go to your destination when there is more highway in front of you. One minor thing that bothers me is when the road is curvy, and it is finally about to straighten out, but my exit is just before the straight section. Sometimes I feel tempted to drive the length of the straight section and backtrack, to not leave the good stretches of the road out.

Just think about that statement for a second.

roadman65

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on December 22, 2022, 11:28:18 AM
Much easier to get to 3,000,000 miles if I save flying for the shorter destinations and driving for the longer ones.

Now this makes a lot of sense.😮

:-o As someone wanting to pay $4 for the same item that the store next door sells for $2 and not having to drive to get to the $4 product.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

MultiMillionMiler

I just remember the number on the tripodometer when the curve beings. When the curve ends, I reset. I dont do this with every section of road, only straightaways longer than 2 miles are worthy of exact measurement. I literally can press the button without looking at it LOL. Sometimes I forget to note the number when the straightaway ends and it was for nothing, which is a little road rage moment. My car has 2 tripodometers. Trip B I reset every time I get gas so I can measure how many miles I got in between. Trip A I use for any individual road measurements. I just wish they were more accurate down to a 1/100th of a mile, instead of a tenth. I have a speed/altitude/odometer app on my phone thats accurate to .01 miles, but I don't like to use my phone when driving.

hotdogPi

Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

kirbykart

^But only in stop-and-go traffic!

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: kirbykart on December 22, 2022, 12:37:27 PM
Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on December 22, 2022, 12:11:46 PM

Just think about that statement for a second.

There is certainly something to be said that the journey is the destination.  A good percentage of the interesting items I find on road trips are what I wasn't expecting along highways.  Some of those would include things like monuments, hikes, vistas, old bridges, signs and even the occasion abandoned town site.  You tend to get less experiences like that along corridors that have facets of limited access or virtually none on completely limited access. 

roadman65

What is the affixiation of straight roads anyway? To me a road is to get between two points. Why does it matter how?
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

kphoger

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 21, 2022, 11:49:46 AM
How'd things work out for the Concorde supersonic jet?

I've heard from a friend who works in the industry that they're starting to come back around to the idea of supersonic again.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

abefroman329

Quote from: kphoger on December 22, 2022, 01:32:48 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 21, 2022, 11:49:46 AM
How'd things work out for the Concorde supersonic jet?

I've heard from a friend who works in the industry that they're starting to come back around to the idea of supersonic again.

https://boomsupersonic.com/

With Concorde, I've heard that the real money was supposed to be in delivering documents, since, in 1976, the only way you could get a document from one person to another was to deliver a hard copy of the document.  Then, a few years later, along came the fax machine...

MultiMillionMiler

Quote from: roadman65 on December 22, 2022, 01:10:42 PM
What is the affixiation of straight roads anyway? To me a road is to get between two points. Why does it matter how?

Because the most efficient route between 2 points is a straight line.

ZLoth

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on December 22, 2022, 02:26:04 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on December 22, 2022, 01:10:42 PM

Because the most efficient route between 2 points is a straight line.

No, it isn't.... at least for great circle navigation. It's why your flight from the United States to Asia may go north through Alaska instead of Hawaii.

Also, a straight-line may be the most efficient, but may not be scenic.

Why does "END ROAD WORK" sound like a protest sign?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.