News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Minor things that bother you

Started by planxtymcgillicuddy, November 27, 2019, 12:15:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1995hoo

The existence of cash lanes at toll plazas.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

jmacswimmer

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on January 05, 2023, 10:41:03 PM
Since EZ pass is available in all lanes

Not necessarily.

(I recall the PTC also used to mark cash lanes as "CASH ONLY" when exiting, but ticket lanes as "TICKETS OR E-ZPASS" when entering. Which of course is irrelevant now with their switch to AET.)
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

MultiMillionMiler

Chocolate Häagen-Dazs Ice-cream. Although it tastes great, it's color, texture, and consistency resembles a fresh mushy turd too accurately, which makes it a little gross to eat. White plastic spoons also somewhat look like toilet bowls. LOL did it seriously autocorrect to a dash between ice and cream LMAO

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on January 06, 2023, 03:26:07 PM
Chocolate Häagen-Dazs Ice-cream. Although it tastes great, it's color, texture, and consistency resembles a fresh mushy turd too accurately, which makes it a little gross to eat. White plastic spoons also somewhat look like toilet bowls. LOL did it seriously autocorrect to a dash between ice and cream LMAO

I wonder what two minor things bother me?

JoePCool14

Quote from: jakeroot on January 05, 2023, 08:45:07 PM
Speaking of convenience stores, the "only one checker" thing at most normal (non-Wawa type) convenience stores always drove me crazy in the US. Sometimes took forever to check out. Here in Japan it's common for other employees to step whenever the line grows beyond one person, often there is always two or three people behind the counter ready to step in when needed. I was at a Lawsons the other day, fairly busy (three people in line), and an employee walked in, apparently just arriving for their shift, and immediately ran over to the counter and started helping check out. That's some excellent customer service.

That is one of the joys of Kwik Trip.  :)

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 65+ Clinches | 280+ Traveled | 8800+ Miles Logged

jakeroot

Quote from: JoePCool14 on January 06, 2023, 03:42:12 PM
Speaking of convenience stores, the "only one checker" thing at most normal (non-Wawa type) convenience stores always drove me crazy in the US. Sometimes took forever to check out. Here in Japan it's common for other employees to step whenever the line grows beyond one person, often there is always two or three people behind the counter ready to step in when needed. I was at a Lawsons the other day, fairly busy (three people in line), and an employee walked in, apparently just arriving for their shift, and immediately ran over to the counter and started helping check out. That's some excellent customer service.

I had to Google that place. Much larger than any convenience store in Japan, but I'm glad they also have good customer service! It makes a world of difference.

jakeroot

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 06, 2023, 03:29:55 PM

I think we all know what bothers you, Max  :-D

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: 1995hoo on January 06, 2023, 11:40:54 AM
The existence of cash lanes at toll plazas.

The reverse bothers me. As a resident of a state without an extensive toll system, I don't like having to remember to take time out of my life weeks later to go pay my bill.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

MultiMillionMiler

Quote from: jakeroot on January 06, 2023, 06:38:00 PM

I wasn't even joking with that one. It's hard to eat that food when, especially for people who eat their ice cream on the sides, leaving what looks like a nice vertical soft turd in the container, meanwhile eating it with utensils that look like toilet bowls (white spoons). Why does good food have to resemble the most disgusting things imaginable?? Tell anyone who is trying to go on a diet from sweets this.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on January 06, 2023, 07:32:53 PM

I wasn't even joking with that one. It's hard to eat that food when, especially for people who eat their ice cream on the sides, leaving what looks like a nice vertical soft turd in the container, meanwhile eating it with utensils that look like toilet bowls (white spoons). Why does good food have to resemble the most disgusting things imaginable?? Tell anyone who is trying to go on a diet from sweets this.

I mean look, you aren't going to get on my nerves talking about eating vertical poop-like food with your toiler bowl spoons.  Where I draw the line is when you use "LOL" and "LMAO" as though they were actual words in sentences.   

MultiMillionMiler

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 06, 2023, 07:40:25 PM
Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on January 06, 2023, 07:32:53 PM

I mean look, you aren't going to get on my nerves talking about eating vertical poop-like food with your toiler bowl spoons.  Where I draw the line is when you use "LOL" and "LMAO" as though they were actual words in sentences.

ROTFL why?

vdeane

The fact that taco sauce is so difficult to deal with.  The brush I use to pre-wash the pan I make the meat in gets all orange and doesn't return to its normal color until several washes later, and I need to use a paper towel to pre-clean the thing I use for the leftover meat before it goes in the dishwasher.

Related, the fact that I don't recall ever seeing half-size things of shredded cheese.  I have seen half-size sour cream, so if I could get that, I could do this on a two week cycle instead of a four week one, which would make my life easier.

Generalizing, the fact that things at the store don't come in quantities small enough for single people who can't creatively come up with ways to re-use things.  I rarely cook anything other than breakfast for that reason, because I don't want to have to throw things out when they inevitably go bad.  This is especially the case since I have overnight trips on average at least once a month (on average; in reality, it's clustered).  I'll do a four week taco cycle followed by a four week hamburger cycle in the winter months when I'm not traveling much, but it's otherwise microwaving processed foods for me.  I used to make pasta too, but ended up with spoilage issues with the Alfredo sauce and gas/bloating issues with the peas.

Unrelated, the fact that I can't find new towels that don't leave so much lint on me when I dry off that I need to use a lint roller, even after repeated washes.  I'm tempted to see if thrift stores have any at this point.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

hbelkins

Quote from: vdeane on January 07, 2023, 05:25:11 PM

Unrelated, the fact that I can't find new towels that don't leave so much lint on me when I dry off that I need to use a lint roller, even after repeated washes.  I'm tempted to see if thrift stores have any at this point.

Try buying from a hotel/motel supplier. If you don't have a preference on color, the plain white ones they typically use are absorbent without being too "sheddy."

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

bm7

When someone talks on the phone while looking directly at you, resulting in you thinking they are talking to you and not their phone.

MultiMillionMiler

When you are trying to quickly merge onto a highway so you suddenly lean forward more to get a better view in the mirror/over you're shoulder, and your seatbelt locks into place because you did it too fast.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on January 08, 2023, 11:10:27 AM
When you are trying to quickly merge onto a highway so you suddenly lean forward more to get a better view in the mirror/over you're shoulder, and your seatbelt locks into place because you did it too fast.

That's called improper mirror placement.

LilianaUwU

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on January 08, 2023, 11:10:27 AM
On that subject: a seatbelt locking in place for non-accident reasons. It's so uncomfortable.
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

JoePCool14

Quote from: jakeroot on January 06, 2023, 06:31:50 PM

I had to Google that place. Much larger than any convenience store in Japan, but I'm glad they also have good customer service! It makes a world of difference.

Yes, it's a Wisconsin exclusive, although Iowa has Kwik-Stop which is the same thing just re-branded. I always like going into them, and the new ones they've built are spacious, modern, and basically not-sketchy, which is important when out on the road at night.

Big John

Quote from: JoePCool14 on January 08, 2023, 01:05:38 PM

Yes, it's a Wisconsin exclusive, although Iowa has Kwik-Stop which is the same thing just re-branded. I always like going into them, and the new ones they've built are spacious, modern, and basically not-sketchy, which is important when out on the road at night.
Also has an extensive Minnesota presence and a few stores in surrounding states.

JoePCool14

Quote from: Big John on January 08, 2023, 01:18:21 PM

Also has an extensive Minnesota presence and a few stores in surrounding states.

But not Illinois. Wisely, they don't touch us!

formulanone

Ah, I figured it was a knockoff, but it's more like Ohio's Stop-E-Mart. :)

wanderer2575

Not just the line, but I'm always stuck behind the person arguing over a price, or trying to use an EBT card to buy energy drinks, or trying to pay with a check drawn on a Kazakhstan bank.  Or, more commonly, as humorist Dave Barry wrote:

...I had to stop at one of those all-purpose gas stations that also sell beer, cigarettes, magazines, hats, beef jerky, and hot dogs the same age as Strom Thurmond.  Naturally I wound up standing in line behind some moron who was investing his family's grocery money in some kind of state lottery transaction so complex as to require the full attention of ALL THREE store clerks for about 15 minutes, during which time I controlled my stress level by staring laser holes into the back of the moron's neck and shrieking silently, inside my head, WHY NOT SAVE YOURSELF SOME TIME?  WHY NOT JUST SET YOUR MONEY ON FIRE?

Big John

Quote from: JoePCool14 on January 09, 2023, 09:13:22 AM
Quote from: Big John on January 08, 2023, 01:18:21 PM

But not Illinois. Wisely, they don't touch us!
THey operate a Stop N Go in Dixon and a Kwik Star in Rochelle: https://www.kwiktrip.com/Maps-Downloads/Store-List (page 3)

mgk920

Kwik Trip is headquartered in La Crosse, WI, so I would expect them to have a fairly heavy presence in southeastern Minnesota (ie, Rochester, MN).

Mike

JoePCool14

Quote from: Big John on January 09, 2023, 10:58:01 AM
THey operate a Stop N Go in Dixon and a Kwik Star in Rochelle: https://www.kwiktrip.com/Maps-Downloads/Store-List (page 3)

Well the more you know... I had no idea.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.