News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Montana's current state highway route marker?

Started by mgk920, November 28, 2009, 11:59:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mgk920

What is Montana's current state highway route marker design?  I recall that it was a simple square, but going over some Google Streetview images shows signs using an arrowhead design.  What is the current one?

Mike

agentsteel53

Quote from: mgk920 on November 28, 2009, 11:59:45 AM
What is Montana's current state highway route marker design?  I recall that it was a simple square, but going over some Google Streetview images shows signs using an arrowhead design.  What is the current one?

Mike

they use the square for the primary routes and an arrowhead for the secondaries.  Secondaries start somewhere past 287 and go up.

here is a modern Montana primary (and a severely off-spec BL-94!)

and here are current secondary, interstate, and US shields:

Montana's always used the Boring Square for their primary routes...

here is one still in circulation.  Tough to remove an entire concrete bridge support!  That says Route 22 Montana.  (Trust me.)

on occasion they use the US marker to denote a state route, because they are dumb, yet strangely awesome.  US-47 also lives in Montana.

and as for their secondary routes, this is the oldest example I have:

I do not know what they used for secondary routes before the flat-printed shield era (1948-now).
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

agentsteel53

Quote from: HighwayMaster on November 28, 2009, 05:01:32 PM
Where are the US-39 and the US-47 shields?

39: the shield I linked to is on old US-10 at SR-39, just a mile or so north of I-94.  There is a green sign with "US 39" spelled out about 10 miles west on EB I-94 as well.

47: there is at least one reassurance marker (maybe two?) leaving Hardin and I-90 northbound.  As recently as 2005, they used to be the older style with Series C Montana custom font, as seen in the 39 photo ... but then they were replaced with the more modern FHWA Series D style.  Yep, the sign replacement contract propagated the error!  

live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

xonhulu

Quote from: agentsteel53 on November 28, 2009, 05:05:38 PM
47: there is at least one reassurance marker (maybe two?) leaving Hardin and I-90 northbound.  As recently as 2005, they used to be the older style with Series C Montana custom font, as seen in the 39 photo ... but then they were replaced with the more modern FHWA Series D style.  Yep, the sign replacement contract propagated the error!  

I only saw one on northbound 47 last summer.

SSOWorld

The square sign is the Montana state highway monitor (Primary highways)

The arrowhead is for secondary state highways.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Sykotyk

I much prefer the secondary shield. Same as I much prefer the Farm Road sign for Texas (state outline) rather than the state route shield.

Sykotyk

Scott5114

MT-47 may as well be US-47...there's not a real US-47, and the only notability MT-47 has is that it is missigned as US-47. :P
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.