News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Football (North America: NFL, CFL, Arena Football, minor leagues)

Started by Stephane Dumas, July 29, 2012, 11:20:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alps

I'm not convinced an undefeated Penn State is necessarily ranked higher than an undefeated Clemson. There is also a decent chance that Georgia wins the SEC (they always play hard in the championship) and it's them plus either Bama or LSU.

Max Rockatansky

Looks like the Dolphins might blow their chance at 0-16, they are up 21-7 at the half over the Jets. 

kevinb1994

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on November 03, 2019, 02:26:38 PM
Looks like the Dolphins might blow their chance at 0-16, they are up 21-7 at the half over the Jets.
Looks like the Jets' season is going to pot. Like that's anything new.

jakeroot

I don't know how to react to this situation. I'm happy and sad.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: jakeroot on November 03, 2019, 03:37:29 PM

Turns out the Dolphins are so bad that they failed at failing final score; 26-18.  Probably will end up being a net win for fan bases not wanting NFL teams to start the practice of tanking seasons.  So now the Jets are a legitimate competitor for that number one pick.  Right now Cincinnati controls their own destiny if they go winless. 

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on November 03, 2019, 04:25:11 PM
Right now Cincinnati controls their own destiny if they go winless.

Bengals still have to play the Jets and Dolphins, plus the Jets still have the Redskins, and of course, the Jets and Dolphins meet again at 16W.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on November 03, 2019, 06:34:50 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on November 03, 2019, 04:25:11 PM
Right now Cincinnati controls their own destiny if they go winless.

Bengals still have to play the Jets and Dolphins, plus the Jets still have the Redskins, and of course, the Jets and Dolphins meet again at 16W.

Yes, in theory the Bengals could lock up the first pick by virtue of tanking the rest of away given they are the only winless team. 

thspfc

Tank bowls abound in the NFL. The Jets were extremely terrible today, the score doesn't begin to describe their awfulness.

jakeroot

Last time the Dolphins won a game (Dec 9, 2018) was also the second to last time the Patriots lost, until today. Against the Dolphins of course, in the infamous Miami Miracle! Probably the best day of my life. So glad I was there to witness that.

hotdogPi

Quote from: jakeroot on November 04, 2019, 12:17:55 AM
Last time the Dolphins won a game (Dec 8, 2019) was also the second to last time the Patriots lost, until today. Against the Dolphins of course, in the infamous Miami Miracle! Probably the best day of my life. So glad I was there to witness that.

Since you already know the result of a game taking place next month, can you tell me who will win the Super Bowl?
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

Alps

Quote from: 1 on November 04, 2019, 07:06:32 AM
Last time the Dolphins won a game (Dec 8, 2019) was also the second to last time the Patriots lost, until today. Against the Dolphins of course, in the infamous Miami Miracle! Probably the best day of my life. So glad I was there to witness that.

Since you already know the result of a game taking place next month, can you tell me who will win the Super Bowl?
Jets.

jakeroot

thanks. got my 8's and 9's mixed up.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Alps on November 04, 2019, 07:43:16 PM

Jets.

Have any teams actually been eliminated from playoff contention at this point?

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on November 04, 2019, 08:21:12 PM

No, but some might as well be, at this point.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on November 04, 2019, 08:47:41 PM

Hey, the Jets in "theory"  could finish 9-7 and make it in as a Wild Card to create the scenario Alps described above.  I'd love to see some team go on some crazy long losing streak but sneak into the playoffs as a 8-8 or 9-7 team.  I know more than a handful of 0-4 teams ended up making playoff berths but I don't believe there has ever been an 0-5 to make it. 

thspfc

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on November 04, 2019, 08:50:56 PM
Quote from: MNHighwayMan on November 04, 2019, 08:47:41 PM

Hey, the Jets in "theory"  could finish 9-7 and make it in as a Wild Card to create the scenario Alps described above.  I'd love to see some team go on some crazy long losing streak but sneak into the playoffs as a 8-8 or 9-7 team.  I know more than a handful of 0-4 teams ended up making playoff berths but I don't believe there has ever been an 0-5 to make it.
Packers had 6 losses a little over halfway through the season and made it a few years ago. Though that was a bit sketchy because of Aaron Rodgers' "run the table" witchcraft. Paranormal forces acted on them that year.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Alps on November 04, 2019, 07:43:16 PM

Jets.

After thinking this through, I think if it's three teams in a division are 8-0, and one is 0-8, with the three winning teams beating the losing team twice, and the losing team also losing to two conference opponents, I'm trying real hard to think of a way they can still be in it if they win the next 8 games. Due to dvision and conference tie breaker guidelines, I don't think they could possibly make it into the playoffs.

Some of the reasoning includes, that be 3 winning division opponents still need to play each other choice each. Even if one were to win the 4 other division games against the other two, the other two games will either split,  or one team will win two.  Since the 0-8 team has already lost against two conference opponents they still have four other conference opponents to play. I don't foresee it being possible for the other nine non first-place place teams in a conference to all go 4-8 in the conference, which would allow the 0-8 team to squeak in at 8-8 in this scenerio with 4 conference wins.

So while it's possible, they would need a horribly stacked schedule to allow for this.

ilpt4u

Quote from: jeffandnicole on November 04, 2019, 09:58:48 PM
After thinking this through, I think if it's three teams in a division are 8-0, and one is 0-8, with the three winning teams beating the losing team twice
Not possible with the Current schedule formula, as one of your 6 Intra-Divisional games must be played Week 17. So the 0-8 team could be 0-5 against the 3 Divisional opponents by end of Week 8 (would still be highly unusual), but simply not possible to be 0-6 inside the Division until Week 17

Quote from: jeffandnicole on November 04, 2019, 09:58:48 PM
and the losing team also losing to two conference opponents, I'm trying real hard to think of a way they can still be in it if they win the next 8 games. Due to dvision and conference tie breaker guidelines, I don't think they could possibly make it into the playoffs.

Some of the reasoning includes, that be 3 winning division opponents still need to play each other choice each. Even if one were to win the 4 other division games against the other two, the other two games will either split,  or one team will win two.  Since the 0-8 team has already lost against two conference opponents they still have four other conference opponents to play. I don't foresee it being possible for the other nine non first-place place teams in a conference to all go 4-8 in the conference, which would allow the 0-8 team to squeak in at 8-8 in this scenerio with 4 conference wins.

So while it's possible, they would need a horribly stacked schedule to allow for this.
I don't think it is possible

webny99

Quote from: jakeroot on November 03, 2019, 03:37:29 PM

I'm indifferent about Jets/Dolphins, but this does describe my feelings about Pats/Ravens.

On the one hand, a Ravens win is worse for the Bill's playoff chances. And I'm not a big Ravens fan.. in fact, they are probably one of my least favorite teams after the Patriots. On the other hand, a Pats loss is a good thing, no matter who pulls it off! So I guess overall, I'm slightly more happy than sad.

I thought it was kind of cool that the Dolphins won and the Patriots lost in the same week. It brings the upper and lower bounds back down to earth and up from the grave, respectively (and lets be honest, both narratives had gotten out of control); and that's a good thing for the league.

webny99

jakeroot

Quote from: webny99 on November 05, 2019, 02:00:43 PM
I thought it was kind of cool that the Dolphins won and the Patriots lost in the same week. It brings the upper and lower bounds back down to earth and up from the grave, respectively (and lets be honest, both narratives had gotten out of control); and that's a good thing for the league.

I will have to agree with this. Both teams were starting to play into a stereotype. Then again, I was fine with an 0-16 year for the Dolphins if it meant a #1 pick.

webny99

I still think the Bengals will get at least 2 wins, if not 3 or 4. The Jets should (key word there) pick up a few more wins, as well.
So, the #1 pick is still within reach for the Dolphins, even if it got less likely after Sunday. My prediction is if anyone ruins it, it'll be the Jets, not the Bengals.

We shouldn't forget the Falcons and Redskins both still have just one win each, too.

thspfc

BREAKING: The Jets have signed the Monday night football black cat to a 1 year, $2.6 billion contract.

Stephane Dumas

So far, we got lots of teams who won a 1st league championship this year with the St. Louis Blues (NHL), Toronto Raptors (NBA) and Washington Nationals (MLB).  Will the lightning strike again for the upcoming SuperBowl?

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: Stephane Dumas on November 06, 2019, 05:01:13 PM
So far, we got lots of teams who won a 1st league championship this year with the St. Louis Blues (NHL), Toronto Raptors (NBA) and Washington Nationals (MLB).  Will the lightning strike again for the upcoming SuperBowl?

Probably not lightning but possibly an arrowhead.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.