News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Why are there 2 freeways running from I-81 to Blacksburg, VA?

Started by bugo, June 21, 2012, 07:57:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bugo

The 2013 Rand McNally atlas shows a completed freeway from I-81 to Blacksburg, and an under construction freeway that is being built just to the east.  Why are they building another freeway?  Is the old one substandard?  I can't imagine why Blacksburg, VA needs 2 parallel freeways.

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

broadhurst04

To handle traffic from VA Tech, perhaps? Especially on football game days.

Beltway

Quote from: bugo on June 21, 2012, 07:57:08 PM
The 2013 Rand McNally atlas shows a completed freeway from I-81 to Blacksburg, and an under construction freeway that is being built just to the east.  Why are they building another freeway?  Is the old one substandard?  I can't imagine why Blacksburg, VA needs 2 parallel freeways.

Quote from: NE2 on June 21, 2012, 08:07:45 PM
Google "Smart Road".

It is complete and not under construction, albeit not open to public traffic.  Sometime in the future it will be dualized and extended to I-81, and it will be part of I-73.

The existing highway is the US-460 Christiansburg-Blacksburg Bypass.

http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

74/171FAN

Quote from: Beltway on June 21, 2012, 09:20:49 PM

Google "Smart Road".

It is complete and not under construction, albeit not open to public traffic.  Sometime in the future it will be dualized and extended to I-81, and it will be part of I-73.

People at Virginia Tech are saying that this will be done within the next 20 years.  Personally I am not so sure about that unless its a toll road and with the US 460 Bypass I would never consider using it in that case.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Beltway

Quote from: 74/171FAN on June 21, 2012, 10:06:16 PM
People at Virginia Tech are saying that this will be done within the next 20 years.  Personally I am not so sure about that unless its a toll road and with the US 460 Bypass I would never consider using it in that case.

It would reduce the distance by about 40% between the two end points of the completed 5.7 mile Smart Road.  The I-81 southerly traffic accessing US-460 would still connect directly to US-460, but the I-81 northerly could use the Smart Road.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

hbelkins

The US 460 bypass had just been completed when I went to a week-long grant writing seminar in Blacksburg in the spring of 2003. They did not even have all the overhead guide signs installed.

I always thought that area would be a great place for a road meet. It would be nice if someone in the area could arrange a meet that involved a tour of the Smart Road. Plus, Christiansburg used to be full of cutouts and unisigns that would be eye candy for sign geeks. If Michael Summa still lives in the area, he possibly could join in. He'd certainly be a guest of honor.  :clap:

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

mgk920

Quote from: Beltway on June 21, 2012, 09:20:49 PM

Google "Smart Road".

Google Maps aerial images shows this road, including an impressive viaduct bridge, with a turnaround loop at each end, as though it is currently being used as a test track.

Interesting.

Mike

hbelkins

Quote from: mgk920 on June 22, 2012, 11:27:47 AM
Google Maps aerial images shows this road, including an impressive viaduct bridge, with a turnaround loop at each end, as though it is currently being used as a test track.

Interesting.

Mike

That's basically what it is. They can create various weather scenarios on it (fog, etc.) to test out vehicular features.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Beltway

(Robert Coté, 2002)

1995hoo

Quote from: broadhurst04 on June 21, 2012, 09:20:28 PM

Cows and sheep don't need freeways!
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

amroad17

Quote from: 1995hoo on July 11, 2012, 10:34:44 AM
Quote from: broadhurst04 on June 21, 2012, 09:20:28 PM

Cows and sheep don't need freeways!
Only near Lancaster, PA. :-D
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.