News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

I-40 in North Carolina

Started by wdcrft63, February 25, 2023, 06:30:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ARMOURERERIC

There will be a division let on 3/20  to rehab and widen the overcrossing at Exit 113.  The widening will be a few feet to either side to allow for a left turn lane on the bridge.

Henry

Those two interchanges are awesome! A DDI at US 21 and a 3/4 turbine at I-77, and C/D roads connect them both? I love it!
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

cowboy_wilhelm

The six through lanes on I-40 are a bit of overkill with the collector lanes. No one seems to be utilizing the third right lane since it ends up exiting or ending after a couple of miles, especially the tractor-trailers. I wish they'd gone ahead and widened a couple more miles west to Exit 148 and rebuilt the two sub-standard interchanges/bridges at 148 and 150.

ARMOURERERIC

I recall that at one point there was a 12 month item for redoing exit 148, I will go back and look.

sprjus4

Quote from: cowboy_wilhelm on March 16, 2024, 12:10:54 PM
The six through lanes on I-40 are a bit of overkill with the collector lanes. No one seems to be utilizing the third right lane since it ends up exiting or ending after a couple of miles, especially the tractor-trailers.
I wouldn't say it's overkill... building for the future. It allows traffic to have more merging space and to un-choke traffic a little bit through that interchange area.

ARMOURERERIC

On May 6, the bridge at exit 113 will close for 6 months for rehab.  The plans I saw showed a slight widening to provide a center turn lane as well.

bob7374

NCDOT announcement about more closures on I-40 for the NC 540 project. Since this was posted they moved the closure up to tonight (4/17). They could have made the notice more complicated by stating I-40 West is closed so traffic should use NC 42 (Future NC 36) East to US 70 (Future I-42) West to get back to I-40:
https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2024/2024-04-17-road-closed-i-40-west-clayton.aspx

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.