News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

I-70 / I-470 in Wheeling, WV

Started by shoptb1, March 08, 2010, 07:47:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr_Northside

Quote from: Revive 755 on April 28, 2010, 03:22:09 PM
^ I don't see how the big sign trusses would need to be moved; the existing interchange signs should be unchanged excluding the exit number tab.

I agree.  Any sign (and the structure it's on) is going to stay exactly the same distance from any exit. Mile-markers and possibly tabs  (If the difference is only a half-mile, I could see a DOT not bothering with it.) would be the only things need moved/adjusted.

Whether it is actually worth any $$ to change, I'm not sure... but it sure doesn't seem like it would be quite as complicated as the ODOT representative makes it out to be.
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

Alps

Especially from Ohio's end - they don't have to change anything all the way across the state until the 470 junction.  Now let's keep Maryland in mind - they would have to move their Denver 1700/Cove Fort 2200 sign back half a mile!!

sammack

Quote from: Revive 755 on April 28, 2010, 03:22:09 PM
^ I don't see how the big sign trusses would need to be moved; the existing interchange signs should be unchanged excluding the exit number tab.  I don't recall any big overhead signs with mileposts on them around Wheeling either.  Worse case they could use the AH (ahead) and BK (back) style milemarkers Iowa uses when they didn't want to change every single milepost on US 218 and US 34 for alignment shifts.

Would be interesting to see what WVDOH says about swapping I-470 and I-70.

My thinking is a lot of the objections are simple inertia.  It is the way it is, and we are against any change.

One thing to consider, you would be swapping out a granted problematic tunnel with a serious lane drop for a serious hill upgrade/downgrade on 470 on the OH side

mightyace

Quote from: sammack on April 28, 2010, 07:40:19 PM
One thing to consider, you would be swapping out a granted problematic tunnel with a serious lane drop for a serious hill upgrade/downgrade on 470 on the OH side

The grade on 470 West from the split on the WV side is no slouch either.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

Mr_Northside

Though both states provide for a third lane for the uphill climb.
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

mightyace

Quote from: Mr_Northside on April 29, 2010, 10:00:43 AM
Though both states provide for a third lane for the uphill climb.

True, and I would guess that I-470 is an new enough Interstate that the grades aren't worse than 2 or 3%.

So, I would doubt that they are a showstopper.

This ain't Monteagle we're talkin' about here!
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

Sykotyk

They may be short, but the hill in WV, both west and east has got to be a 5% to 6% grade.

Sykotyk

shoptb1

Quote from: Sykotyk on April 30, 2010, 03:31:51 AM
They may be short, but the hill in WV, both west and east has got to be a 5% to 6% grade.

Sykotyk

Are you talking about the I-470 grade or the even-worse I-70 grade between Triadelphia and the Cabella Drive exit?  The grade between this section is worse than any of those on I-470.

Mr_Northside

Hmmm.... I don't have any numbers to possibly refute that, so you could be right...
But the climb up I-470 from the Ohio River headed east seemed to me to be a bit steeper than the stretch of I-70 you mentioned.  Just my opinion.

froggie

The I-470 grades are steeper than the I-70 grade that shoptb1 mentioned.  I-70 between Exit 10 and Exit 5 is a signed 5% grade.  I-470 between the river and Exit 2 is signed 6%.  East of Exit 2 to I-70 isn't signed, but a rough estimate based on topographic maps is 7%.

shoptb1

Quote from: froggie on May 01, 2010, 08:28:50 AM
The I-470 grades are steeper than the I-70 grade that shoptb1 mentioned.  I-70 between Exit 10 and Exit 5 is a signed 5% grade.  I-470 between the river and Exit 2 is signed 6%.  East of Exit 2 to I-70 isn't signed, but a rough estimate based on topographic maps is 7%.

I stand corrected.  Thanks Froggie.  Regardless, I don't see this as any factor in signing one as I-70 vs. I-470, especially since they are already suggesting that all through traffic use I-470.

national highway 1

Question:what work is being done on the I-70 tunnels?
"Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take." Jeremiah 31:21

PAHighways

Quote from: ausinterkid on May 03, 2010, 06:03:03 PMQuestion:what work is being done on the I-70 tunnels?

General rehabilitation:  upgrading the lighting and fire detection equipment, repairing tiles, etc.

shoptb1

Quote from: PAHighways on May 04, 2010, 03:11:35 PM
Quote from: ausinterkid on May 03, 2010, 06:03:03 PMQuestion:what work is being done on the I-70 tunnels?

General rehabilitation:  upgrading the lighting and fire detection equipment, repairing tiles, etc.

And this is taking 3 - 4 years?  LOL

PAHighways

Quote from: shoptb1 on May 04, 2010, 03:43:35 PM
Quote from: PAHighways on May 04, 2010, 03:11:35 PM

And this is taking 3 - 4 years?  LOL

WVDOH hasn't been working year-round, not to mention a dispute between them and the company doing the work halted the project for a time in 2008.

Mr_Northside

I think there were also issues with either the construction or the materials used that have caused delays too.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.