News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Cross-burb Freeway in southern SL County UT

Started by BigManFromAFRICA88, June 09, 2015, 08:27:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigManFromAFRICA88

As southwestern Salt Lake County grows, so does the traffic on some of the east-west streets from 62th South down to 126th South. Though UDOT is building Mountain View Corridor and Bangerter Highway is being upgraded, Bangerter only provides decent east-west flow for Riverton and Herriman. West Jordan (103,712), Sandy (87,461), and South Jordan (50,418) rank numbers 4, 6, and 11 (respectively) in population, with a lot of business traffic going east-west between Sandy (the east side) and West and South Jordan (the west side), as well as commuter traffic trying to find their way to I-15.

A freeway, though ripping through homes and businesses, would provide even more growth and business in the long run. The huge gully left by Dry Creek (Dimple Dell) has always seemed good for a freeway (in an ideal, perfect world) for the Sandy/Draper side. Maybe a 90th South upgrade to fit the bill as well? IDK...but as SL County grows toward the empty desert of the Oquirrh Mountains and Kennecott, it would be a rather encumbering pain in the ass :banghead: :ded: to use an arterial to go from I-15 to, say, 60th or 70th West (about 6 miles) with the growing amount of traffic that is bound to come with growing population.

Whew, sorry for the long post haha :pan: :D

Rover_0

I actually don't live too far off the I-15/9000 South (SR-209) interchange and I wouldn't rule out another east-west freeway or expressway around 9000 South. It would be a pain in the neck to build, but could help out quite a bit. However, north-south traffic is a far more immediate concern, and the MVC (SR-85) is and will help out a bit.

Of course, I think the best major freeway plan is to make Redwood Rd (SR-68) a freeway connecting MVC near Camp Williams and I-15 near Santaquin. I've felt that building something like that--sooner, not later, before more development sets in--would help alleviate much of the traffic on I-15 in Utah County for long-distance travel. It still baffles me that as big and as fast as it's growing, the only freeway Utah County has is I-15. MVC will help with that, but a bypass along the west side of Utah Lake would do wonders.

As for numbering, I'd be quick to bring back the 415 number, though 815 or even I-13 work as well.
Fixing erroneous shields, one at a time...

Henry

Quote from: Rover_0 on June 10, 2015, 01:33:52 AM
As for numbering, I'd be quick to bring back the 415 number, though 815 or even I-13 work as well.
What, no love for 615? And where exactly would this theoretical I-13 go?
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Rover_0

Quote from: Henry on June 10, 2015, 10:11:52 AM
Quote from: Rover_0 on June 10, 2015, 01:33:52 AM
What, no love for 615? And where exactly would this theoretical I-13 go?

I-615 would work as well. The number 415 has a history in Utah and most routes along this corridor have an 8 in their numbers (SR-68, SR-85, I-80). I-13 would just be this route: Beginning at I-15 between Santaquin and Mona, roughly following SR-68 to MVC (SR-85) and taking 85 to I-80 where 85 is planned to end. This route would be about 50-60 miles in length.
Fixing erroneous shields, one at a time...

BigManFromAFRICA88

That actually would be really nice. It would maybe even alleviate rush hour traffic to and from SL Valley. But from Davis County is a different story... :pan:
I think 415 would work best because of the history as well. Then, with the completion of 2100 North in Lehi, maybe that could be 315? (It seems kinda pointless to build such a long interstate and leave only a couple miles of the original plan not interstate standards.)

iBallasticwolf2

I honestly think a larger bypass of Salt Lake city is a great idea. It would be long but it would help. The problem with building a new bypass is the geography challenges. Building a bypass to the west means dealing with the Great Salt Lake and mountains which could stretch out the bypass greatly or would give the bypass a causeway over the lake that would be long and possibly tolled. Building a bypass to the east requires plowing through mountains. Although for an eastern bypass it could run just from Orem to Wanship and have the rest of the route run along already built I-80 and I-84.
Only two things are infinite in this world, stupidity, and I-75 construction

Henry

Come to think of it, I like the idea of resurrecting I-415 for this. But shouldn't we discuss it in Fictional Highways? (as that has not been brought up in real-life proposals that I know of)
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

iBallasticwolf2

Quote from: Henry on June 11, 2015, 12:39:34 PM
Come to think of it, I like the idea of resurrecting I-415 for this. But shouldn't we discuss it in Fictional Highways? (as that has not been brought up in real-life proposals that I know of)

I think it should be moved to fictional highways actually.
Only two things are infinite in this world, stupidity, and I-75 construction

andy3175

Yup, best to move it to Fictional Highways. Thanks.
Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.