News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Road trip: Phoenix, Page, Moab, 4 Corners

Started by kurumi, May 17, 2016, 12:29:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kurumi

Took a little trip last week to some national and tribal parks in Arizona and Utah.

Flickr album: https://www.flickr.com/photos/therealkurumi/albums/72157668167733011

Round trip to/from Phoenix:
AZ 51, AZ 101, I-17, I-40, US 89, AZ 98, US 160, US 163, US 191, UT 313, UT 279, US 191, US 491, US 160, NM 597, US 191, I-40, I-17

Clinched! I-17, US 163, NM 597, UT 313

Notes:
Arizona signage is really good IMO. A lot of Clearview, but good layout, exit tabs, good route markers and so on. In rural areas you get a little BGS announcing a junction 1/2 mile in advance. Phoenix freeways are wide, with HOV lanes and some direct HOV connector ramps, and they still get pretty congested. I like the decorative effects on some of the bridges and ramps (e.g. Loop 202 near the airport).

I saw exactly one colored Loop 101 sign in Scottsdale. Seems that practice has gone the way of Florida's colored US route signs. But we didn't drive all around Phoenix.

I saw an Indian Route 9345 near Wide Ruin, AZ -- a new record for highest signed route I have a picture of (see Flickr). I've looked for a highway log or map of all Indian routes (Navajo nation has its own DOT) but haven't found one. It appears not every route is signed. I don't know how well they're signed away from the main routes.

There were also Apache County signed routes in AZ, and one "Road 9030" near the CO/NM border on US 160.

AZ 98 was very scenic, US 163 even more so. Highly recommend these routes if you're in the area.

NM 597 is the short route leading from US 160 to Four Corners monument. What you've heard is right; there's not much there except a concrete marker, some artist stalls, a fry bread truck, and bathrooms with doors that don't lock. But if you're within a couple hour drive from there, you'll go anyway.

Wow, the US 666 to 491 changeover was a long time ago (2003). In any case, we saw no "former 666" type signs anywhere between 191 and 160.

Moab Brewery's Amber Ale was meh.

Arches NP was beautiful, Canyonlands NP was beautiful, Monument Valley was beautiful, and so was Utah's Dead Horse Point State Park. Many other states' Parks have a lake, some woods and picnic tables; this one has a 2,000 to 3,000-foot canyon carved by the Colorado River.

The night before taking the flight home was a roughly 625-mile drive from Moab to Phoenix, with stops in Cortez, 4 Corners, Petrified Forest. That was a little bit long. We ran out of our single Book on CD (Crazy Rich Asians) on I-40, and decided to just restart it again.
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

kurumi

Forgot about mile markers. They didn't make sense during the trip; I had known about the I-17 markers continuing from a point further south of Phoenix, but was surprised by mile markers in the 300s on AZ 98.

Here's ADOT's state milepost map: http://azdot.gov/docs/business/state-milepost-map.pdf?sfvrsn=0

I didn't get a photo, but MM 420 on US 191 does have the "419.9" treatment so stoners don't steal it. (Though nerd stoners might find that one even more desirable.)
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

Max Rockatansky

I'm kind of surprised to not see Shiprock or Canyon de Chelley in there, the latter is worth a visit if you ever stop back through.  Kind of neat to see so many people living among ruins at the bottom of a canyon. 

Personally while I kind of prefer the scenic route through AZ 77, AZ 377, AZ 277, AZ260 and AZ 87 back to Phoenix there is a couple good must sees off of I-40 on Old 66.  I would really recommend Two-Guns and Canyon Diablo west of Meteor Crater since they right off the freeway.  The old Canyon Diablo Bridge is still intact and can be driven over if you are really careful.  I haven't tried Padre Canyon in a long time but I can still see the Old 66 bridge on the Google Map View.  Beyond that Walnut Canyon is a neat side tour off of I-40 just outside Flagstaff.

Next time you're in the area I would really recommend US 89A if you haven't gone that way.  That will connect you to the Navajo Bridge over Marble Canyon, the Vermillon Cliffs and the North Rim of the Grand Canyon if you haven't been that way before rejoining US 89 in Kanab.  From there the Coral Pink Sand Dunes, Zion National Park and Cedar Breaks are all easily accessed before splitting off on UT 12.  UT 12 goes over the Grand Staircase and passes right by Bryce Canyon which would argue is the most scenic of the five national parks.  I would really recommend UT 12 to US 24 and Capitol Reef for scenic value even I-70 in the San Rafael Swell.  Goblin Valley in the Swell is easily reached north of UT 95 past Hanksville.

From there you could take 95 in a round about way back to Lake Powell or stick to UT 24 to I-70 and Moab again.  I would really recommend a trip to Thompson Springs and Cisco on the old alignments of US 50/6, the latter will take you to the north terminus of UT 313.  Both are really cool old ghost towns that were featured big time in the original Vanishing Point. 

Pink Jazz

The colored "Loop" shields were eliminated due to fading issues.  The brown Loop 202 shields were especially prone to fading.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Pink Jazz on May 17, 2016, 08:42:28 AM
The colored "Loop" shields were eliminated due to fading issues.  The brown Loop 202 shields were especially prone to fading.

I was under the impression they were starting to come back?  I could have sworn that I saw a blue 101 that was new at McDonald and Pima and at least one brown overhead for 202.  No recent sightings of black 303s though...cept the one I bought off ebay.

Edit:  Found it, definitely a newer sign:

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.5238199,-111.8912455,3a,75y,90h,90t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1snFOTyk0I8fzQox3JJRlV0w!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

pumpkineater2

There are still a few blue 101 shields on the overhead signs on Camelback & Indian school roads in the west valley. They've been there for many years, and they don't seem to have any fading problems. Also, the signs they are on are button copy.

I remember the 202 shields always being severely faded whenever I was over that way.
Come ride with me to the distant shore...

swbrotha100

Blue 101 shields are scattered around the valley, found mostly on cross streets these days. The only brown 202 shields left are going SB on 101 (Pima) approaching the 202 (Red Mountain) interchange.

Pink Jazz

Quote from: pumpkineater2 on May 17, 2016, 10:27:59 PM
There are still a few blue 101 shields on the overhead signs on Camelback & Indian school roads in the west valley. They've been there for many years, and they don't seem to have any fading problems. Also, the signs they are on are button copy.

I remember the 202 shields always being severely faded whenever I was over that way.

The blue 101 shields didn't fade nearly as badly as the brown 202 shields, although it seems that some west-facing 101 shields are now showing signs of fading compared to the green background of the signs.

Max Rockatansky

Anyone else amused that we all diverged from all those kick ass scenic locations to talk about blue, brown and black Loop signs?   :-D

hm insulators

I always thought the Loop 202 signs were red, or at least reddish? Of course, that could very well be my color blindness kicking in.
Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: hm insulators on June 03, 2016, 03:47:38 PM
I always thought the Loop 202 signs were red, or at least reddish? Of course, that could very well be my color blindness kicking in.

Nope kind of desert brown, they might appear reddish when they start to fade though.

N9JIG

The 303 Loop signs from 20 years ago before the freeway was built (posted on Cotton Road etc.) were white on black but those are apparently all gone. I live near and use the 303 frequently and have not seen one since the pre-freeway days.

Back in the day there were a couple WonB 303's at Grand Av. pointing to the road which ran from there to I-10 just west of where the 303 is now. I don't know if they ever posted it north of Grand Av (US-60) before they started the freeway construction.

I have seen a few variations on the 101 signs. I swear I saw a BonW one that said Arizona 101 once but I will be darned if I can find it now or remember where it was. I think it was on a suburban street someplace in the west valley. Same thing for one that had yellow print on a blue background.

Illinois Highways Page                                                          http://www.n9jig.com

kphoger

I'm currently planning a family road trip for next year that will include approaching the Moab area from the east, through the Manti—La Sal National Forest by way of Gateway, Colorado.  Super pumped about this trip.  I'm planning to forego a visit to Canyonlands in favor of Dead Horse State Park, with Arches the following day.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: N9JIG on June 04, 2016, 12:20:28 PM
The 303 Loop signs from 20 years ago before the freeway was built (posted on Cotton Road etc.) were white on black but those are apparently all gone. I live near and use the 303 frequently and have not seen one since the pre-freeway days.

Back in the day there were a couple WonB 303's at Grand Av. pointing to the road which ran from there to I-10 just west of where the 303 is now. I don't know if they ever posted it north of Grand Av (US-60) before they started the freeway construction.

I have seen a few variations on the 101 signs. I swear I saw a BonW one that said Arizona 101 once but I will be darned if I can find it now or remember where it was. I think it was on a suburban street someplace in the west valley. Same thing for one that had yellow print on a blue background.

Those black 303s made it to the hands of scrappers in recent years.  I ended up buying one off of one about a month back.  I'm not sure what the theory was with the reversed black on white scheme as opposed to a color like blue for the 101 or 202 with the brown. You'd think that green or orange would have been used like the old directional US Route shields but then again it was MCDOT maintaining the 303 back in the pre-freeway days. 

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: kphoger on June 04, 2016, 12:32:15 PM
I'm currently planning a family road trip for next year that will include approaching the Moab area from the east, through the Manti—La Sal National Forest by way of Gateway, Colorado.  Super pumped about this trip.  I'm planning to forego a visit to Canyonlands in favor of Dead Horse State Park, with Arches the following day.

Dead Horse has the best vista point of the canyonlands.  If you're heading to the Island in the Sky its maybe a 15 minute detour to get to the vista at Dead Horse and well worth it.

ztonyg

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on May 17, 2016, 10:03:59 AM

I was under the impression they were starting to come back?  I could have sworn that I saw a blue 101 that was new at McDonald and Pima and at least one brown overhead for 202.  No recent sightings of black 303s though...cept the one I bought off ebay.

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.5238199,-111.8912455,3a,75y,90h,90t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1snFOTyk0I8fzQox3JJRlV0w!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

Actually, that's not a newer sign. The same sign is visible in the 2009 GSV image. I believe that this sign was installed during the time that L101 opened in this area. The blue sign just isn't as prone to fading as the brown L202 signs are.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: ztonyg on June 11, 2016, 10:58:18 AM

Actually, that's not a newer sign. The same sign is visible in the 2009 GSV image. I believe that this sign was installed during the time that L101 opened in this area. The blue sign just isn't as prone to fading as the brown L202 signs are.

That stretch opened up in 01/02 through the Pima Reservation.  I used to travel to work on McDonald during those years, it was black up until I moved in 2008, so if it went up in 09 it's probably slated to be replaced in 2017?  Someone in the "road improvements you'd like to see" found another one at the 101 and Camelback in the West Valley.  Regardless it's too bad they got rid of the colors regardless, it brought a little extra flair to the design.  I would have liked to have see some orange and green like the old directional US Route Shields.

ztonyg

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on June 11, 2016, 11:05:38 AM

That stretch opened up in 01/02 through the Pima Reservation.  I used to travel to work on McDonald during those years, it was black up until I moved in 2008, so if it went up in 09 it's probably slated to be replaced in 2017?  Someone in the "road improvements you'd like to see" found another one at the 101 and Camelback in the West Valley.  Regardless it's too bad they got rid of the colors regardless, it brought a little extra flair to the design.  I would have liked to have see some orange and green like the old directional US Route Shields.

I didn't realize that there as a black L101 sign there. I only remember the blue sign.

I recall some interesting City of Phoenix installed signage around AZ51 and McDowell with a black L202 shield.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: ztonyg on June 11, 2016, 11:31:58 AM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on June 11, 2016, 11:05:38 AM

I didn't realize that there as a black L101 sign there. I only remember the blue sign.

I recall some interesting City of Phoenix installed signage around AZ51 and McDowell with a black L202 shield.

Was it one these? 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.