News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

North Carolina

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 11:55:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mvak36

Wasn't there some project to make US70 a freeway somewhere near there? I can't remember if it was near I-540 or I-440.
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

LM117

Quote from: mvak36 on August 01, 2018, 07:43:43 PM
Wasn't there some project to make US70 a freeway somewhere near there? I can't remember if it was near I-540 or I-440.

Yes, between I-540 and the East End Connector.

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/community/durham-news/article103937111.html
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

LM117

Quote from: wdcrft63 on August 01, 2018, 05:16:41 PM
Heads up: NCDOT will make an announcement tomorrow concerning improvements to the interchange of I-440/US 1 (Raleigh Beltline)and Glenwood Avenue (US 70). This is a big deal.

The announcement:

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2018/2018-08-02-i-440-improvements.aspx

wdcrft63

Quote from: LM117 on August 02, 2018, 05:23:55 PM
Quote from: wdcrft63 on August 01, 2018, 05:16:41 PM
Heads up: NCDOT will make an announcement tomorrow concerning improvements to the interchange of I-440/US 1 (Raleigh Beltline)and Glenwood Avenue (US 70). This is a big deal.

The announcement:

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2018/2018-08-02-i-440-improvements.aspx

This is the current interchange: https://goo.gl/maps/cqcGyfhnJrT2
A SPUI perhaps?

LM117

A public meeting is being held on August 9 to discuss widening the 2-lane stretch of US-17 between NC-171 near Washington and Williamston.

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2018/2018-08-06-public-input-us-17.aspx

plain

Quote from: LM117 on August 06, 2018, 12:56:57 PM
A public meeting is being held on August 9 to discuss widening the 2-lane stretch of US-17 between NC-171 near Washington and Williamston.

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2018/2018-08-06-public-input-us-17.aspx

I can see why this is warranted. While I didn't observe any heavy traffic here the last time I came through (May 2016), there were still delays due to the lack of turn lanes along this stretch. Pretty frustrating.
Newark born, Richmond bred

sparker

Quote from: plain on August 06, 2018, 04:26:22 PM

I can see why this is warranted. While I didn't observe any heavy traffic here the last time I came through (May 2016), there were still delays due to the lack of turn lanes along this stretch. Pretty frustrating.

Since the entire length of US 17 in NC is part of NCDOT's "master plan" for freeway improvement, I wouldn't be a bit surprised if this is only only of a series of projects to deploy at least expressway-level improvements along that corridor; when completed, further upgrades can be applied as needed.  My guess: it'll be 4-lane divided (although I'll bet some of the interim towns will push for "5-lane" arterials in their vicinity) all the way from Wilmington to Williamston by 2030 to 2035.  Of course, this is if NCDOT and local promoters don't just say "screw it, let's just build another Interstate down 17!" at some point.   It's NC, so it's not outside the realm of possibility!

wdcrft63

Quote from: sparker on August 06, 2018, 06:22:52 PM

Since the entire length of US 17 in NC is part of NCDOT's "master plan" for freeway improvement, I wouldn't be a bit surprised if this is only only of a series of projects to deploy at least expressway-level improvements along that corridor; when completed, further upgrades can be applied as needed.  My guess: it'll be 4-lane divided (although I'll bet some of the interim towns will push for "5-lane" arterials in their vicinity) all the way from Wilmington to Williamston by 2030 to 2035.  Of course, this is if NCDOT and local promoters don't just say "screw it, let's just build another Interstate down 17!" at some point.   It's NC, so it's not outside the realm of possibility!
This proposal is for "smart street" design, with no left turns onto NC 17 permitted. I expect this is the model for most of the rest of US 17; we'll probably see proposals to redo some of the existing 4-lane sections (such as those in Brunswick County between Wilmington and the SC line) to this format. IMO any idea of converting the whole of US 17 in NC to an interstate is far in the future, if it ever comes at all.

jcarte29

http://www.wfae.org/post/contractor-says-i-77-tolls-will-open-year-end-not-some-ramps#stream/0

So the loudest opposition is from those in North Meck who blow more money on a cup of coffee than it will take to travel the entire length? LOL
Interstates I've driven on (Complete and/or partial, no particular order)
------------------
40, 85, 95, 77, 277(NC), 485(NC), 440(NC), 540(NC), 795(NC), 140(NC), 73, 74, 840(NC), 26, 20, 75, 285(GA), 81, 64, 71, 275(OH), 465(IN), 65, 264(VA), 240(NC), 295(VA), 526(SC), 985(GA), 395(FL), 195(FL)

VTGoose

Quote from: jcarte29 on August 06, 2018, 07:48:51 PM
http://www.wfae.org/post/contractor-says-i-77-tolls-will-open-year-end-not-some-ramps#stream/0

So the loudest opposition is from those in North Meck who blow more money on a cup of coffee than it will take to travel the entire length? LOL

So will EZ-Pass work if and when this is done and tolls are activated?

That contractor is pretty optimistic about the completion of this mess. In various trips through that project, it looks like a lot of the work was done at random depending on the whims of some manager with a dart board.
"Get in the fast lane, grandma!  The bingo game is ready to roll!"

jcarte29

Quote from: VTGoose on August 07, 2018, 08:56:06 AM
Quote from: jcarte29 on August 06, 2018, 07:48:51 PM

So will EZ-Pass work if and when this is done and tolls are activated?

That contractor is pretty optimistic about the completion of this mess. In various trips through that project, it looks like a lot of the work was done at random depending on the whims of some manager with a dart board.

To answer question 1, yes, EZ-Pass is compatible. But it is a different transponder, which can still be purchased by NC Turnpike Authority (cost is $7.40, there is a free version which works in NC, FL, GA- that is the one I elected to order)

To your second point, I couldn't have said it better myself! I have pictures documented on Facebook group FreewayJim and SE Roads, and live smack dab in the middle of it (Huntersville). I'm so ready for it to open!!! Ugghhhh
------------------
40, 85, 95, 77, 277(NC), 485(NC), 440(NC), 540(NC), 795(NC), 140(NC), 73, 74, 840(NC), 26, 20, 75, 285(GA), 81, 64, 71, 275(OH), 465(IN), 65, 264(VA), 240(NC), 295(VA), 526(SC), 985(GA), 395(FL), 195(FL)

jcarte29

------------------

cowboy_wilhelm

Quote from: sparker on August 06, 2018, 06:22:52 PM

$80 million to widen ten miles of highway that averaged less than 6,000 vehicles per day in 2016. No wonder they have to build toll lanes in Charlotte: gotta keep sending money down east! (oink, oink)

Thing 342

Quote from: jcarte29 on August 07, 2018, 11:58:42 AM
https://www.ncquickpass.com/resources/Pages/nc-quickpass-transponders.aspx

Specifics of NC Quick Pass Transponders
Interesting, along with a fresh coat of paint, it appears that NC Quick Pass are rolling out a new hard-case transponder design:

In addition, it looks like NC will be offering a FLEX option soon (though this is the only reference to it that I can find on the site):

Quote from: FAQWill my transponder work outside of North Carolina?
The NC Quick Pass sticker works on all North Carolina toll facilities and on SunPass and Peach Pass facilities in Florida and Georgia.
The NC Quick Pass E-ZPass works on all North Carolina toll roads, SunPass and Peach Pass facilities as well as E-ZPass toll facilities in other states.
The NC Quick Pass E-ZPass Flex works on all toll roads and express lanes in North Carolina as well as SunPass, Peach Pass and E-ZPass toll facilities. You can use this transponder to declare HOV status and drive for free on North Carolina Express Lanes when you meet the occupancy requirements posted on the road.

I wonder if this will work on GDOT and VDOT flex lanes. If so, I think I may exchange my current transponder.

froggie

Quote from: Thing 342I wonder if this will work on GDOT and VDOT flex lanes. If so, I think I may exchange my current transponder.

Any EZPass-compatible transponder will work in the VDOT HO/T lanes.  But you will get charged unless you have a specific VDOT Flex transponder being used in flex mode (because you're in a carpool).

NJRoadfan

Quote from: Thing 342 on August 08, 2018, 06:40:15 PM

Looks like the casing used by the current Kapsch "G4" E-ZPass transponders.

Wonder if they are making multi-protocol hard case variants for NCDOT now, or NCDOT is just transmitting the IAG protocol signal from the hard cased transponders.

http://www.traffictechnologytoday.com/news.php?NewsID=87031

Thing 342

For reference, here is the current hard-case transponder issued by NCDOT (at least as of mid-2016 when I got mine):

(modified to remove personal info)

I suspect that the hard-case option used by NCDOT is more or less just an active device transmitting the IAG signal paired with a passive component that works with the NC, GA, and FL systems. In theory, a similar effect could be achieved by sticking one of the sticker transponders on the back of an E-Z Pass (though I'm pretty sure it's a bit more technically complex than that).

That's why I'm interested in the smaller size of the new hard cases. Supposedly interoperability with Texas (and possibly OK and KS) is coming soon, and I'm wondering if this may be a part of it.

jcarte29

Quote from: Thing 342 on August 08, 2018, 09:47:49 PM
For reference, here is the current hard-case transponder issued by NCDOT (at least as of mid-2016 when I got mine):

(modified to remove personal info)

I suspect that the hard-case option used by NCDOT is more or less just an active device transmitting the IAG signal paired with a passive component that works with the NC, GA, and FL systems. In theory, a similar effect could be achieved by sticking one of the sticker transponders on the back of an E-Z Pass (though I'm pretty sure it's a bit more technically complex than that).

That's why I'm interested in the smaller size of the new hard cases. Supposedly interoperability with Texas (and possibly OK and KS) is coming soon, and I'm wondering if this may be a part of it.

I'm hoping the free transponder is interoperable with TX but it's not like I drive to Texas often lol (when I've gone I have flown anyways)

Side note- I drove to Atlanta two weeks ago, just after receiving my QuickPass transponder. I used the express lanes (it was late late, after midnight) just to experiment the transponder. ~10 days later I still haven't seen the transaction post to my account. Will I get a bill from Georgia?
------------------

VTGoose

Quote from: Thing 342 on August 08, 2018, 06:40:15 PM

In addition, it looks like NC will be offering a FLEX option soon (though this is the only reference to it that I can find on the site):

Quote from: FAQWill my transponder work outside of North Carolina?
The NC Quick Pass sticker works on all North Carolina toll facilities and on SunPass and Peach Pass facilities in Florida and Georgia.
The NC Quick Pass E-ZPass works on all North Carolina toll roads, SunPass and Peach Pass facilities as well as E-ZPass toll facilities in other states.
The NC Quick Pass E-ZPass Flex works on all toll roads and express lanes in North Carolina as well as SunPass, Peach Pass and E-ZPass toll facilities. You can use this transponder to declare HOV status and drive for free on North Carolina Express Lanes when you meet the occupancy requirements posted on the road.

So did North Carolina do a deal with Florida so its E-ZPass system will work with SunPass?

A quick search on "ezpass florida" turned up this article from last August in the Tampa paper that responds to a reader's question, "When is the Florida DOT going to accept E-ZPass on its toll roads? Orlando's Central Expressway accepts it."

The time frame for this to happen, if it ever does, remains elusive. We asked the Department of Transportation to fill us in on this frequently asked reader question back in June. After six weeks and an additional nudge, we heard back from Chad Huff, spokesperson for Florida's Turnpike Enterprise, who told us that Florida's SunPass is accepted in Georgia and North Carolina, and will be accepted in South Carolina soon (no date provided).

But in terms of SunPass and E-ZPass becoming what is referred to as "interoperable," Huff said things are complicated.

"Efforts are continuing to make SunPass interoperable with E-ZPass, however given the fact that the E-Z Pass consortium represents nearly 40 different tolling agencies, it makes the necessary cooperation with that group extremely complicated. In the meantime, SunPass has made the hardware and software upgrades necessary and stands ready to accept E-ZPass transponders when the time comes," Huff said last week.

When that time might be is murky at best.

(see https://www.tampabay.com/news/transportation/roads/no-compatibility-in-sight-for-e-zpass-and-florida-toll-system/2334589)

An article from back in November in the Orlando paper says "The E-ZPasses will be functional on toll roads managed by the Central Florida Expressway Authority: 118 miles on State Roads 408, 414, 417, 429, 451, 528 and 429. They will not work on toll roads managed by the Florida Department of Transportation, like Florida's Turnpike."

So where is the hang-up in accepting Florida EPass in other states or E-ZPass in Florida? It appears North Carolina and some other states have figured it out. Is it a case of equipment (note "SunPass has made the hardware and software upgrades") or resistance/reluctance?

Bruce in Blacksburg (who would like to ditch one of two epass accounts)
"Get in the fast lane, grandma!  The bingo game is ready to roll!"

jcarte29

Quote from: VTGoose on August 09, 2018, 09:23:31 AM

An article from back in November in the Orlando paper says "The E-ZPasses will be functional on toll roads managed by the Central Florida Expressway Authority: 118 miles on State Roads 408, 414, 417, 429, 451, 528 and 429. They will not work on toll roads managed by the Florida Department of Transportation, like Florida's Turnpike."

So where is the hang-up in accepting Florida EPass in other states or E-ZPass in Florida? It appears North Carolina and some other states have figured it out. Is it a case of equipment (note "SunPass has made the hardware and software upgrades") or resistance/reluctance?

Bruce in Blacksburg (who would like to ditch one of two epass accounts)

To my understanding (again, I'm having trouble with having used my NC Quick Pass in Georgia recently) is that the NC Quick Pass is good with the Florida Sun Pass apart from the EZPass program.

Any Florida residents who can help with this?? TIA
------------------

orulz

NC Quick Pass hardcase is the only transponder that is interoperable in both the northeast (EZ-Pass) and Southeast (Florida/Georgia). I think I read that South Carolina, Louisiana, Texas, Oklahoma, and Kansas are in the works as well.

That said, when I went to Florida about three years ago, there were some places where it was read successfully, but others where it was not. In particular, on highway 528 between Orlando and the beach, the pass was not being read. I drove through the toll pass lanes a couple times but the light never flashed indicating that it was read. So rather than get in trouble, I figured I must have misunderstood something and paid cash at the next gate.

When I got home, however, several weeks later, I got some charges (For the correct transponder rate, no fines) on my NC Quick Pass account from when I had gone through the gates. (The transponder number listed on the line item for the charge was my license plate number.) So there were some gates where they just didn't have the correct transponder in place and had to bill by my license plate.

As I understand it, there are actually two separate toll systems in Florida, SunPass and E-Pass, both of which have interop agreements with NC. All the SunPass gates can read the NC transponders just fine, but not all of the E-Pass gates could (yet) so they just decided to bill by license plate.

jcarte29

Quote from: orulz on August 09, 2018, 01:01:26 PM
As I understand it, there are actually two separate toll systems in Florida, SunPass and E-Pass, both of which have interop agreements with NC. All the SunPass gates can read the NC transponders just fine, but not all of the E-Pass gates could (yet) so they just decided to bill by license plate.

My hope is that this is how it will shake out with PeachPass gates in Atlanta.
------------------

wdcrft63

On Tuesday NCDOT will hold a public hearing on possible improvements to Exit 21 of Future I-26 north of Asheville.
https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2018/2018-08-10-opinions-buncombe-options.aspx

Actually the work mostly involves the intersection of Weaverville and New Stock Roads adjacent to the interchange. The link to the maps is missing, but here is where they are:
https://www.ncdot.gov/news/public-meetings/Pages/U-5973-2018-08-14.aspx

The current situation can be seen here: https://goo.gl/maps/z4NCRKBjxHM2

LM117

A public meeting is being held in Lumberton on August 28 to discuss rebuilding the I-95/Carthage Road interchange (Exit 19).

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2018/2018-08-20-lumberton-i-95-exit-19-open-house.aspx

NJRoadfan

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.