News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

North Carolina

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 11:55:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jmiles32

Man, NC loves to build(or least say they're going to build)interstates. It should definitely be I-x26 because like someone said the only I-x85 option left that makes sense is I-685 which I'm am just SURE NC has planned eventually for US Route 1 between Raleigh and Henderson.
Aspiring Transportation Planner at Virginia Tech. Go Hokies!

mvak36

Quote from: Jmiles32 on May 04, 2016, 08:01:46 PM
Man, NC loves to build(or least say they're going to build)interstates. It should definitely be I-x26 because like someone said the only I-x85 option left that makes sense is I-685 which I'm am just SURE NC has planned eventually for US Route 1 between Raleigh and Henderson.

At the rate they're going, they will announce a new interstate every year  :bigass:. A roadgeek's dream come true.

Although, I would like to see them finish some of these planned interstates before moving on to new ones.
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

Henry

I'm sure FritzOwl goes out there a lot! :rofl:
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

WashuOtaku

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on May 04, 2016, 04:18:55 PM
How difficult would it be to connect the two freeway segments of US 74 between Interstate 26 and Interstate 85? Approximately how much condemning of homes and businesses would be necessary?

Construction already started a couple years ago on the northern Shelby bypass, to be called US 74 Bypass.  The routing went through mostly farmland, so not much condemning was done.

CanesFan27

Quote from: Jmiles32 on May 04, 2016, 08:01:46 PM

It's not that they love building interstates. It is the freeways they are buildings are typically to Interstate standards.  This allows them to ask for an Interstate designation.

LM117

I found the latest feasibility study (dated July 2015) for upgrading US-117 to Interstate standards and extending I-795 south to I-40 west of Faison in Sampson County. The Wayne County Board of Commissioners favor Alternative 4A for the new terrain route from US-117 south of US-13 near the Mar-Mac area of Goldsboro to Ash Street where the freeway currently ends. The link-up with I-40 is the most interesting part. The original plan is to upgrade the existing I-40 interchange (Exit 355), but Sampson County opposes that alternative because they have a planned industrial site near that exit and they're worried that an upgraded interchange would interfere with that site. Sampson Co. wants I-795 to split off from the US-117 Connector between Faison and I-40 and follow a short, new terrain route and link up with I-40 at a new interchange south of Exit 355. Duplin County and the Eastern Carolina Rural Planning Organization opposes the new terrain I-795 linkup with I-40 because of the farmland that would be destroyed and wants the US-117 Connector and Exit 355 upgraded. I wonder who's gonna win that one...

(PDF is 65 pages and 7.70MB)

EDIT: I found a direct link on NCDOT's website without Google interfering in the previous link.

https://connect.ncdot.gov/projects/planning/FeasibilityStudiesDocuments/Feasibility-Study_1304A_Report_2015.pdf
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

CanesFan27

Quote from: LM117 on May 06, 2016, 12:59:12 PM
I found the latest feasibility study (dated July 2015) for upgrading US-117 to Interstate standards and extending I-795 south to I-40 west of Faison in Sampson County. The Wayne County Board of Commissioners favor Alternative 4A for the new terrain route from US-117 south of US-13 near the Mar-Mac area of Goldsboro to Ash Street where the freeway currently ends. The link-up with I-40 is the most interesting part. The original plan is to upgrade the existing I-40 interchange (Exit 355), but Sampson County opposes that alternative because they have a planned industrial site near that exit and they're worried that an upgraded interchange would interfere with that site. Sampson Co. wants I-795 to split off from the US-117 Connector between Faison and I-40 and follow a short, new terrain route and link up with I-40 at a new interchange south of Exit 355. Duplin County and the Eastern Carolina Rural Planning Organization opposes the new terrain I-795 linkup with I-40 because of the farmland that would be destroyed and wants the US-117 Connector and Exit 355 upgraded. I wonder who's gonna win that one...

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://connect.ncdot.gov/projects/planning/FeasibilityStudiesDocuments/Feasibility-Study_1304A_Report_2015.pdf&ved=0ahUKEwjohc2H8cXMAhVDGj4KHXW4BM0QFggaMAA&usg=AFQjCNH-XAyXroPHSFbYAe84BzSiAilILQ

Great find looking forward to digging into it

wdcrft63

Quote from: WashuOtaku on April 18, 2016, 07:23:28 PM
Quote from: wdcrft63 on April 18, 2016, 06:25:03 PM
Quote from: NE2 on April 18, 2016, 12:41:19 PM
Quote from: Henry on April 18, 2016, 11:45:37 AM
Construction on the Monroe Bypass has begun, with a completion date targeted for 2018:
http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/local/community/south-charlotte/article31539566.html

QuoteWhen complete, the 20-mile road, running roughly parallel to N.C. 74 from west of Marshville to the Interstate 485 interchange in Matthews, will allow motorists to bypass the stop-and-go traffic along U.S. 74.
Usually I don't give a shit about getting the shield type wrong, but when you have I-74 and US 74 as different routes, it's more important.

The Monroe Expressway will not be part of I-74; Charlotte and Monroe are well to the west of Rockingham, where I-74 and US 74 become concurrent. As a matter of fact, as far as I can tell no route number has been assigned to the Expressway. The project is listed with "-" as the route number in the NCDOT Construction Progress database.

The Monroe Bypass will be "US 74 Bypass," it is in several NCDOT documents on its website.  There is also going to be a NC 74, which will exist for a few years in Winston-Salem as the bypass there is being built.

Before you made this reply I posted a query on the NCDOT website asking what route number would be assigned to the Monroe Expressway, and in particular whether there was any plan for it to become an interstate highway. They finally answered today, confirming that the Expressway will be US 74 Bypass, and they say there is "no plan" for an interstate designation. This will disappoint Fictional Highway participants, who are hoping for an interstate all the way across NC on US 74.

wdcrft63

Quote from: CanesFan27 on May 05, 2016, 11:20:06 AM
It's not that they love building interstates. It is the freeways they are buildings are typically to Interstate standards.  This allows them to ask for an Interstate designation.

NC has three metropolitan areas that are doing OK economically and a large number of smaller cities that aren't doing so well because they depended historically on tobacco or on furniture manufacturing. To help with economic redevelopment all these smaller cities want to be on freeways, preferably interstates. IMO that's what's driving NC's current craze for new interstate designations.

WashuOtaku

Quote from: wdcrft63 on May 06, 2016, 04:44:44 PM
NC has three metropolitan areas that are doing OK economically and a large number of smaller cities that aren't doing so well because they depended historically on tobacco or on furniture manufacturing. To help with economic redevelopment all these smaller cities want to be on freeways, preferably interstates. IMO that's what's driving NC's current craze for new interstate designations.

Could ask Texas that same question.... I-2, I-14, I-69, I-69E, I-69W and I-69C.  :pan:

LM117

Quote from: CanesFan27 on May 06, 2016, 01:23:27 PM
Quote from: LM117 on May 06, 2016, 12:59:12 PM

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://connect.ncdot.gov/projects/planning/FeasibilityStudiesDocuments/Feasibility-Study_1304A_Report_2015.pdf&ved=0ahUKEwjohc2H8cXMAhVDGj4KHXW4BM0QFggaMAA&usg=AFQjCNH-XAyXroPHSFbYAe84BzSiAilILQ

Great find looking forward to digging into it

Thanks! It's an interesting read.

CanesFan27

Quote from: wdcrft63 on May 06, 2016, 04:44:44 PM
Quote from: CanesFan27 on May 05, 2016, 11:20:06 AM

I'd agree with that and where they can they are trying to build to standards so the designations can come with it. 

mvak36

Quote from: wdcrft63 on May 06, 2016, 04:22:44 PM

Before you made this reply I posted a query on the NCDOT website asking what route number would be assigned to the Monroe Expressway, and in particular whether there was any plan for it to become an interstate highway. They finally answered today, confirming that the Expressway will be US 74 Bypass, and they say there is "no plan" for an interstate designation. This will disappoint Fictional Highway participants, who are hoping for an interstate all the way across NC on US 74.

That actually surprised me considering how they put an interstate shield on everything else.

Maybe in a couple of years some politician or very influential people in Monroe or the other towns along that stretch will request an interstate number and then NCDOT will ask for one from the feds.
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

Mapmikey

Quote from: mvak36 on May 07, 2016, 12:10:51 AM
Quote from: wdcrft63 on May 06, 2016, 04:22:44 PM

That actually surprised me considering how they put an interstate shield on everything else.

Maybe in a couple of years some politician or very influential people in Monroe or the other towns along that stretch will request an interstate number and then NCDOT will ask for one from the feds.

Some of the money to build the Monroe Expressway supposedly comes via a federal loan.  I don't know if that means an interstate shield can therefore not be put on it in the same way as if the federal government paid for any part of the project more directly...

froggie

Quote from: MapmikeySome of the money to build the Monroe Expressway supposedly comes via a federal loan.  I don't know if that means an interstate shield can therefore not be put on it in the same way as if the federal government paid for any part of the project more directly...

Even new toll roads can be added to the Interstate system these days, as long as they're built to Interstate standard, have logical termini for an Interstate route, and are added as non-chargeable Interstate (meaning the local jurisdiction does not get any additional Federal funding for having the route).

Mapmikey

Quote from: froggie on May 07, 2016, 07:33:13 AM
Quote from: MapmikeySome of the money to build the Monroe Expressway supposedly comes via a federal loan.  I don't know if that means an interstate shield can therefore not be put on it in the same way as if the federal government paid for any part of the project more directly...

Even new toll roads can be added to the Interstate system these days, as long as they're built to Interstate standard, have logical termini for an Interstate route, and are added as non-chargeable Interstate (meaning the local jurisdiction does not get any additional Federal funding for having the route).

Right.  So does in the eyes of this rule, does federal loan = federal funding?

froggie

No.  In this case, "Federal loan" means that the relevant jurisdiction needs to reimburse FHWA back.

Henry

While the Monroe Expressway is getting built, its counterpart to the west, the Garden Parkway, will not be:
http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/local/article76552132.html
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

LM117

Since the I-36(?)/US-70 Goldsboro Bypass is scheduled to open next month, I looked to see if there were any plans for the remainder of US-70 in Wayne County that hasn't been upgraded yet. All I found was this feasibility study (dated November 2015) for upgrading US-70 from the western end of the Goldsboro Bypass to Edwards Road just across the Johnston County line near Princeton. There's 3 alternatives, one is upgrading the existing highway, one is north of existing US-70 and the other is south of existing US-70.

(PDF is 71 pages, 3.21MB)

https://connect.ncdot.gov/projects/planning/FeasibilityStudiesDocuments/Feasibility-Study_1204A_Report_2015.pdf

wdcrft63

Quote from: LM117 on May 14, 2016, 09:11:18 AM
Since the I-36(?)/US-70 Goldsboro Bypass is scheduled to open next month, I looked to see if there were any plans for the remainder of US-70 in Wayne County that hasn't been upgraded yet. All I found was this feasibility study (dated November 2015) for upgrading US-70 from the western end of the Goldsboro Bypass to Edwards Road just across the Johnston County line near Princeton. There's 3 alternatives, one is upgrading the existing highway, one is north of existing US-70 and the other is south of existing US-70.

https://connect.ncdot.gov/projects/planning/FeasibilityStudiesDocuments/Feasibility-Study_1204A_Report_2015.pdf

Thanks for finding this document. At first glance, the North Alternative seems to be the least disruptive of the three possibilities, but it might have environmental problems.

LM117

Quote from: wdcrft63 on May 14, 2016, 12:43:49 PM

Thanks for finding this document. At first glance, the North Alternative seems to be the least disruptive of the three possibilities, but it might have environmental problems.

Agreed. I don't think there's much chance of the North Alternative being built because of that.

WashuOtaku

Since the I-36(?)/US-70 Goldsboro Bypass is scheduled to open next month, I looked to see if there were any plans for the remainder of US-70 in Wayne County that hasn't been upgraded yet.

I believe it will be signed US 70 Bypass when it opens, the document to ASHTOO is to assign the Interstate Number and they will likely need FHWA approval too before any on-the-ground signage appears.  If they get I-36, I expect FHWA sign-off this Summer and NCDOT submitting in the Fall the first sections of I-36, with signs up by Christmas.

LM117

Mornin' folks! I wasn't sure if this should go in this thread or the "I-36" thread, so I'll post it in both. The final section of the US-70 (possible I-36) Goldsboro Bypass from Wayne Memorial Drive to US-70 just west of La Grange is scheduled to open next Friday, May 27. A ribbon cutting ceremony will be held that morning at 11:00 AM. You may now return to your regulary scheduled programming. 

http://goldsborodailynews.com/blog/2016/05/20/eastern-portion-of-new-bypass-in-wayne-to-open-friday/

orulz

Just in time for the Memorial Day rush to the beach? Or is there a central segment of the highway that won't be open yet?

LGL33L

LM117

Quote from: orulz on May 21, 2016, 07:54:52 AM
Just in time for the Memorial Day rush to the beach? Or is there a central segment of the highway that won't be open yet?

LGL33L

No, once this section opens, the entire length of the Goldsboro Bypass will be open. It'll be about 20 miles long from end to end. It's currently open from US-70 just west of NC-581 in the Rosewood area of Goldsboro to Wayne Memorial Drive. The part that will open next week is the eastern tie-in to the existing US-70 near La Grange in Lenoir County.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.