News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

North Carolina

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 11:55:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Strider

Quote from: PColumbus73 on October 26, 2013, 03:52:42 PM
I'd like to see North Carolina get rid of some of their bannered routes. Like Business I-85 going through Greensboro, High Point, and Lexington. Would it be simpler to drop the Business 85 shields and leave it as US 29/70? Or Business and Alternate 74 (which turn into one another between Maxton and I-95), does having so many business, bypass, alt routes get confusing?

I am supporting for the removal of Business I-85 along the Greensboro area.. the former routing of I-85 is fully freeway. It should be 3di or just leave it as US 29/70.

PColumbus73

I was also looking at US 70 around Selma, where a Business, Bypass, Alternate and the mainline US 70 exist around each other is a relatively close area. To me, it'd make more sense if they renumbered 70A and Business 70 as an NC x70, keep the US 70 mainline on the freeway around I-95 and turn the current mainline into an unsigned spur with just trailblazers to East/West US 70.

Henry

Quote from: Strider on October 27, 2013, 07:31:04 PM
I'd like to see North Carolina get rid of some of their bannered routes. Like Business I-85 going through Greensboro, High Point, and Lexington. Would it be simpler to drop the Business 85 shields and leave it as US 29/70? Or Business and Alternate 74 (which turn into one another between Maxton and I-95), does having so many business, bypass, alt routes get confusing?

I am supporting for the removal of Business I-85 along the Greensboro area.. the former routing of I-85 is fully freeway. It should be 3di or just leave it as US 29/70.
However, let's keep in mind that removing Business I-40 in Winston-Salem would be a tough challenge, as there are no even 3di's left, assuming that I-540 is changed to I-640. US 421 would do just fine.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

PColumbus73

If Business 40 were pulled, I'd be fine with them reverting it to US 421

WashuOtaku

Quote from: Henry on October 28, 2013, 02:50:11 PM
However, let's keep in mind that removing Business I-40 in Winston-Salem would be a tough challenge, as there are no even 3di's left, assuming that I-540 is changed to I-640. US 421 would do just fine.

The problem is that the old I-40 route through Winston-Salem is not currently interstate grade worthy and they are doing the best they can to upgrade this.  Around 2015 or so (don't quote me) they are going shut down an entire section of Business I-40 in downtown Winston-Salem to raze all the bridges and redo the entire stretch; yes its that bad that they have to shutdown part of the highway for a couple of years to rebuild it.  That will happen soon after upgrades are completed along US 52/NC 8.  After they fix everything on Business I-40 after another 10-15 years, we can revisit it in becoming a 3di of either I-40 or I-74.  US 421 already overlaps the route, so that's a mute point.

As for Business I-85, the new signage at exit 87 appears to put it at a backseat to US 29/52/70 (and soon I-285).  I saw a Business I-85 sign to itself saying its at same exit... maybe the state is moving away from it since its putting it on its own sign and not the main signage with the others, but that's only a guess.

You all neglected Business I-95 in Fayetteville, which is completely overlapped with US 301.  To my understanding, it exists because businesses wanted to keep some kind of through route as the main highway bypassed the city.  I suspect that is the same reason for Business I-40 and Business I-85 routes in NC and obviously true for Business I-85 in Spartanburg, SC (a snapshot of what interstates were like in the late 1950s, thanks to never being improved).

PColumbus73

My main gripe with Business 85 in Greensboro is that it partially overlaps I-40, which is rather nonsensical. Also, I think Business 85 between US 52 and the Urban Loop is really long to be a 'Business' route, why not sign US 29/70 as an Alt I-85 similar to how Wisconsin signs Alt I-43 and I-39?

hbelkins

Quote from: WashuOtaku on October 28, 2013, 05:37:06 PM
The problem is that the old I-40 route through Winston-Salem is not currently interstate grade worthy

But it was when it was built.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

froggie

Doesn't matter anymore.  Since BUSINESS I-40 was dropped, it can't be grandfathered.  So for NCDOT to bring it back, it'll have to bring it up to CURRENT Interstate standards before FHWA will approve.

MBHockey13

I disagree with all of this. Having Business 85 and Business 40 makes sense, and is very helpful - even for those who aren't road geeks.

MBHockey13

Quote from: PColumbus73 on October 28, 2013, 12:16:58 PM
I was also looking at US 70 around Selma, where a Business, Bypass, Alternate and the mainline US 70 exist around each other is a relatively close area. To me, it'd make more sense if they renumbered 70A and Business 70 as an NC x70, keep the US 70 mainline on the freeway around I-95 and turn the current mainline into an unsigned spur with just trailblazers to East/West US 70.

Disagree with this as well.

I also wish they had left US-29A and US-70A on High Point Road in Greensboro, and not removed NC-6, as well as kept Business US-311 through High Point even if High Point itself wanted it removed. Made no sense.

Henry

Quote from: PColumbus73 on October 28, 2013, 05:54:44 PM
My main gripe with Business 85 in Greensboro is that it partially overlaps I-40, which is rather nonsensical. Also, I think Business 85 between US 52 and the Urban Loop is really long to be a 'Business' route, why not sign US 29/70 as an Alt I-85 similar to how Wisconsin signs Alt I-43 and I-39?
Business I-80 in Sacramento also overlaps I-305, but the latter is a hidden route, so that is a moot point there.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

PColumbus73

True, and if they chose to sign I-305, Business 80 could/should be truncated to between I-80 and 305, same goes with Business 85 and I-40. At the very least, why can't Business 85 be truncated to the former I-40/85 junction at Death Valley?

bob7374

Quote from: MBHockey13 on October 29, 2013, 01:42:10 AM
Quote from: PColumbus73 on October 28, 2013, 12:16:58 PM

Disagree with this as well.

I also wish they had left US-29A and US-70A on High Point Road in Greensboro, and not removed NC-6, as well as kept Business US-311 through High Point even if High Point itself wanted it removed. Made no sense.

They all still exist according the Bing Triad Area map NCDOT uses for its TIMS traffic management website.  :-/

WashuOtaku

Quote from: PColumbus73 on October 29, 2013, 03:03:30 PM
True, and if they chose to sign I-305, Business 80 could/should be truncated to between I-80 and 305, same goes with Business 85 and I-40. At the very least, why can't Business 85 be truncated to the former I-40/85 junction at Death Valley?

Because North Carolina never used Business Spurs; NCDOT probably feels every business route should loop back in some way.  Though they are known to hide business loops like US 19/23 BUS in Asheville overlapping with I-240 and US 64 BUS overlapping with I-440.

MBHockey13

Quote from: WashuOtaku on October 29, 2013, 05:51:56 PM
Quote from: PColumbus73 on October 29, 2013, 03:03:30 PM

Because North Carolina never used Business Spurs; NCDOT probably feels every business route should loop back in some way.  Though they are known to hide business loops like US 19/23 BUS in Asheville overlapping with I-240 and US 64 BUS overlapping with I-440.

I think it might have been possible that if NCDOT hadn't originally plan on putting I-40 on the Southern Greensboro Loop and renumbering current I-40 as Business Loop 40 through Greensboro, then they may have considered having Business 85 be a spur ending at I-40. As it was, though, there was going to be symmetry with I-40 and I-85 running along the loop and BUS 40/85 running through Greensboro. Now you just have I-40 multiplexed with the eastern part of BUS 85.

BUS 85 is still a major route in the Triad, even split into two parts. They are constantly working on upgrades on BUS 85 on its multiplex with US 29/70. I use it more frequently than I-85 for local trips, and the traffic is definitely there. It's less of a decision now since they opened I-74 / US-311 between BUS 85 and I-85, as you can use that to cut back and forth between the two, even if that doesn't make too much logistical sense.

cpzilliacus

NewsObserver.com: Raleigh mulls making I-540 a toll road

QuoteThe northern 540 Outer Loop will have to be widened in coming years to handle its growing traffic load, and the Raleigh City Council wants to consider transforming it into an eight-lane, 26-mile toll road.

QuoteMeanwhile, traffic engineers are considering quicker action to install ramp meters — special stop-and-go signals used on freeways from New York to San Diego — that could smooth out the rush-hour glut of cars entering Interstate 540.

QuoteA consultant study commissioned this month will help the state Department of Transportation decide whether to deploy North Carolina's first ramp meters on I-540, for westbound drivers coming down the on-ramps at Falls of Neuse, Six Forks, Creedmoor and Leesville roads.

QuoteTolls are seeing increased use as a way to pay for added freeway lanes — often called "managed lanes"  — as on an I-77 project underway in Charlotte. They make money from drivers willing to pay for a faster trip at times when the toll-free lanes are congested. Along with toll collection for most drivers, managed lanes usually include toll-free trips for buses and carpools.

QuoteWith all-electronic toll collection, a technology now in use on the 18-mile Triangle Expressway section of 540 in western Wake County, DOT can build separate toll lanes without the old expense of barriers and tollbooths. Toll rates can fluctuate during rush hour, rising or falling as freeway congestion gets worse or better.

QuoteLocal planners have vacillated in recent years about their approach to paying for an I-540 widening: toll all eight lanes, or just the two added lanes?
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

WashuOtaku

Quote from: cpzilliacus on November 29, 2013, 08:12:02 PM
NewsObserver.com: Raleigh mulls making I-540 a toll road

QuoteThe northern 540 Outer Loop will have to be widened in coming years to handle its growing traffic load, and the Raleigh City Council wants to consider transforming it into an eight-lane, 26-mile toll road.

It's a good thing the city of Raleigh has no say on how a state road should be.  Also the nagging fact that its an Interstate and cannot be converted into a toll road without both the state and federal governments signing-off on it, which hasn't happened yet anywhere.

froggie

QuoteIt's a good thing the city of Raleigh has no say on how a state road should be.  Also the nagging fact that its an Interstate and cannot be converted into a toll road without both the state and federal governments signing-off on it, which hasn't happened yet anywhere.

This one they might, since I-540 was added as non-chargeable Interstate...no Interstate Construction funds were used in its construction.  If nothing else, Federal law would certainly allow tolling any new lanes added to I-540.

cpzilliacus

NewsObserver.com: NCDOT gets tougher with TriEx toll deadbeats

QuoteRALEIGH – State toll collectors are about to get tough with deadbeats who don't pay their bills for trips on the 18-mile Triangle Expressway.

QuoteStarting next year, 73,000 TriEx drivers with delinquent toll bills will find collections agencies hounding them to pay up. And they will be blocked from renewing their automobile registrations with the state Division of Motor Vehicles.

QuoteThe state Department of Transportation said it is taking these new steps to collect delinquent tolls from drivers who are at least three months late in paying for their TriEx trips. The delinquent bills include tolls worth more than $815,000 — plus $3.4 million in late fees and civil penalties.

QuoteThese are folks who receive toll bills in the mail, based on photos of their license plates. DOT levies the late fees, which pile up fast at $6 per month, and the $25 penalties to prod drivers to pay their bills and to open N.C. QuickPass transponder accounts. Transponder users pay automatically, with tolls at a lower rate, and DOT saves the expense of billing them by mail.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

froggie

WTKR is reporting that NCDOT is closing the NC 12 "Bonner Bridge" over Oregon Inlet today due to ongoing safety concerns related to pier scouring.  The story notes that four ferryboats are being dispatched to establish an emergency ferry service while the bridge is closed.

Alps

Quote from: froggie on December 03, 2013, 02:04:35 PM
WTKR is reporting that NCDOT is closing the NC 12 "Bonner Bridge" over Oregon Inlet today due to ongoing safety concerns related to pier scouring.  The story notes that four ferryboats are being dispatched to establish an emergency ferry service while the bridge is closed.

Last updates I've seen say that the emergency repairs (dumping tons of sand in front of the piers) seem to have done the job even better than expected, and the bridge could possibly reopen as early as next week, as opposed to the worst case of March.

NJRoadfan

NE2

NCDOT Communications seems to have hired a hipster.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

WashuOtaku

What has been seen cannot be unseen.   :ded:

PColumbus73

So children, was any useful information gathered from the video we just watched?

- If you travel to the Yadkin River Bridge Replacement project, you'll have an epileptic breakdown?

That is correct.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.