News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Vegas north beltway updates will be slow to come

Started by Kniwt, December 14, 2014, 12:42:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kniwt

The Las Vegas Review-Journal surveys the status of the 215 Beltway and finds that, although work on the interchange with U.S. 95 will begin in the spring, most of the northern leg will continue to be just four lanes with traffic signals for the foreseeable future:
http://www.reviewjournal.com/columns-blogs/road-warrior/slow-progress-beltway-upgrades

QuoteTony Illia, a Nevada Transportation Department spokesman, said there are no current plans to upgrade the Beltway to freeway standard between Cheyenne and Hualapai or to eliminate the traffic lights.

... Some community leaders have told me that they’d like the Transportation Department to explore the possibility of moving the Beltway tie-in to I-15 a little farther north — like north of the Speedway.

roadfro

I had just read this article and was going to post it here.

This isn't a complete surprise. The original beltway plans called for ultimate build-out in 2020. Even with the fast-track "interim beltway" plan that the county switched to after completing most of the southeast leg (using frontage roads in the south and using interim 4-lane roadways in the north), the target date wasn't that much sooner for ultimate build-out (2017?).

The fact remains that the portions of the 215 that aren't currently freeway standard are the least traveled, so they can stand to not be upgraded for a while. (I believe the northwest corner, around the future Lone Mountain and Ann Road interchanges, was projected to be the last upgrade.) The recent conversion & interchange work around north Jones and north Decatur gives freeway status to more than half the northern leg (US 95 "interchange" not withstanding).

NDOT *is* building the interchange at 215/US 95, though. However, that is one part of the greater multi-phase US 95 Northwest corridor project–the construction taking place in spring is only the first of five sub-phases for that interchange. NDOT probably won't move as quickly on the other aspects of this interchange, as I-11 and Project Neon seem to be higher priority projects on for them in Las Vegas.

One thing that I found interesting in the article though, was talking to the NDOT spokesperson. The beltway is a Clark County highway and it's county tax revenue that has paid for most of the existing beltway construction. Outside of the ultimate interchanges with I-15 and I-515 (and the 2-mile segments of 215 maintained by NDOT near those interchanges), NDOT hasn't built anything on the beltway. Surely NDOT has worked with the county through general planning and design issues (NDOT is supposed to eventually take over the beltway anyway), but it would have made more sense to interview a Clark County Public Works spokesperson on the viability of future upgrades based on county tax revenue projections...
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

dfwmapper

I find it interesting that they went the way of the county building the road and signing as an Interstate and county highway, where Phoenix's loop roads, which were funded primarily via sales taxes in Maricopa County, are all state routes. Is NDOT that dysfunctional that Clark County residents wouldn't trust them with the money to build out their freeway system? Or is there some political reason that prevents county funds from being applied by the state to the county in question?

Henry

Quote from: dfwmapper on December 15, 2014, 02:49:20 AM
I find it interesting that they went the way of the county building the road and signing as an Interstate and county highway, where Phoenix's loop roads, which were funded primarily via sales taxes in Maricopa County, are all state routes. Is NDOT that dysfunctional that Clark County residents wouldn't trust them with the money to build out their freeway system? Or is there some political reason that prevents county funds from being applied by the state to the county in question?
Yes, it is interesting to sign the non-Interstate portion as C-215 instead of NV 215. And I suspect that NDOT is constantly balking at providing the necessary funds to complete the freeway loop, because Las Vegas.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

admtrap

The difference is Phoenix is the State Capital and the Center of Population at the same time.

In Nevada, the capital is way up near Reno (Carson City) but most of the people live at the extreme south end of the state (Clark County).  So there's a constant political battle between the northern part of the state (which is historically where everyone lived because, before A/C, Las Vegas was essentially inhabitable) and the southern part.  Almost everything pits North versus South, and usually North wins those fights.

roadfro

Quote from: Henry on December 15, 2014, 11:50:57 AM
Quote from: dfwmapper on December 15, 2014, 02:49:20 AM
Yes, it is interesting to sign the non-Interstate portion as C-215 instead of NV 215. And I suspect that NDOT is constantly balking at providing the necessary funds to complete the freeway loop, because Las Vegas.

It wasn't an NDOT dysfunctional issue. The initial idea of building the beltway came primarily from Clark County and/or the Regional Transportation Commission of Southern Nevada, not the state. Clark County's 1990's "Question 10" voter-approved transportation funding initiative included (among other things) a modest gas tax increase which was specifically dedicated to fund the Las Vegas Beltway construction--a similar Question 10 circa 2006 extended/increased this funding. This was funding that NDOT would not have been able to obtain as easily, especially when taking into account needs elsewhere in Las Vegas and in the rest of the state. Also, IIRC, they were able to save some steps/time in the planning stages by the county building it, since the funding source was primarily county and not state (or federal)--I think (but don't quote me) it had to do with less stringent/complex environmental impact studies since FHWA wasn't directly involved.

I could also speculate that a political reason for NDOT not building all of the beltway would have been that an increase in the state gas tax or some other measure would have been required in order for NDOT to take that on. Northern and rural Nevada would likely not have been keen on a tax increase that would likely not have benefited their transportation infrastructure whatsoever. At that time with the growth boom in Southern Nevada, NDOT was already spending more money/resources in the Las Vegas Valley than anywhere else statewide.

NDOT isn't necessarily balking at funding the completion of the beltway. It's just that their funds have been somewhat spread thin amongst other capacity project priorities on roadways that they currently control: Multiple I-15 widening projects in Las Vegas, US 95 widening in Las Vegas, I-580 extension, I-80 in Reno, US 50 & US 50 Alt in northwest Nevada, etc. And keep in mind that primarily NDOT, not Clark County, built the existing beltway interchanges at I-15 and I-515 in the south.

Quote from: admtrap on December 16, 2014, 01:16:28 AM
The difference is Phoenix is the State Capital and the Center of Population at the same time.

In Nevada, the capital is way up near Reno (Carson City) but most of the people live at the extreme south end of the state (Clark County).  So there's a constant political battle between the northern part of the state (which is historically where everyone lived because, before A/C, Las Vegas was essentially inhabitable) and the southern part.  Almost everything pits North versus South, and usually North wins those fights.

Actually, the reason for Nevada being mostly settled near the Reno/Carson City area before Las Vegas was explorers went through northern Nevada first (en route to the Gold Rush), and northern/western Nevada was where all the gold and silver mines were first found in the mid 1800s. People lived in Las Vegas well before air conditioning was mainstream.

The state is politically charged between the north and the south, but I wouldn't necessarily say that the north always wins those fights--there's a lot more legislatuive representation from the south, so some would argue that things tend to skew in favor of the south more often than not.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

andy3175

Quote from: roadfro on December 16, 2014, 03:43:20 PM
The state is politically charged between the north and the south, but I wouldn't necessarily say that the north always wins those fights--there's a lot more legislatuive representation from the south, so some would argue that things tend to skew in favor of the south more often than not.

Is the political representation in Nevada split based on population? It seems to me that if there's greater representation in the south then there would be more funding heading there too. I would also mention that local funding for a project such as the beltway is common ... it is comparable to how Phoenix and San Diego built their freeway networks with local sales taxes.

Upthread, someone mentioned that the Las Vegas situation is odd because the county retained ownership after the county built it. California State Route 56 was partially built via the local agencies, but it was turned over to Caltrans as a state highway upon its completion even though local funds were used to build the central piece of it. I wonder if Nevada has a unique arrangement whereby the state won't take over such a large piece of infrastructure such as the LV Beltway until certain standards are met (such as when the Beltway becomes an Interstate standard freeway). But I think Clark County just wanted to hold onto the Beltway for the time being ... and who knows, maybe it will keep the Beltway under its jurisdiction permanently. After all, it's possible to have an Interstate highway operated and maintained by another entity aside from the state DOT.
Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

dfwmapper

That's why I brought it up in the first place. Phoenix's loop system was largely funded by a 1/2 cent general sales tax enacted as Proposition 300 in Maricopa County in 1985, and extended as Proposition 400 in 2004 (obviously that's a boatload of money and only part of it went to the freeways, with the rest building bike lanes, light rail, park&rides, adding new bus lines, and other jerkoff transit projects). But, all that freeway work was done by ADOT, with MAG (Maricopa Association of Governments) just directing where they want the money going like any other regional COG in the country. For that matter, cities in Arizona regularly pass bonds to provide upfront cash to ADOT for construction of important projects years in advance of the planned schedule, to be paid back over time by sales tax revenues. I get that Nevada has more of a dichotomy with the state government up north, but Clark County has more than twice the population of the rest of the state combined, so it seems like they ought to be able to make the decision to tax themselves and pass that money to NDOT for use on local projects without really touching the distribution of statewide funds. Is there that much distrust of the state government in Nevada? Arizona had a long history of the county being the most important form of government when it comes to roads (ADOT's Arizona Transportation History report is a good read for road history geeks), but it's been the state at the forefront for many decades now.

roadfro

Quote from: andy3175 on December 17, 2014, 12:15:08 AM
Is the political representation in Nevada split based on population? It seems to me that if there's greater representation in the south then there would be more funding heading there too.

Yes, state assembly and senate representatives are based on population, so the majority of precincts are in the Clark County area.

I wonder if Nevada has a unique arrangement whereby the state won't take over such a large piece of infrastructure such as the LV Beltway until certain standards are met (such as when the Beltway becomes an Interstate standard freeway). But I think Clark County just wanted to hold onto the Beltway for the time being ... and who knows, maybe it will keep the Beltway under its jurisdiction permanently. After all, it's possible to have an Interstate highway operated and maintained by another entity aside from the state DOT.

The original plan with the beltway was that the county would turn it over to NDOT once the entire route was constructed to Interstate highway standards. As far as I know, that is still the plan.

This part is my own conjecture, albeit reasonable: I assume that NDOT will look to do an highway ownership swap as part of the deal in taking ownership of the beltway. There are still several arterial roads in the Vegas area that are under NDOT control, and it would make sense from a roadway management control standpoint for these roads to be owned by the county. There is some recent precedent for this (see below).

Quote from: dfwmapper on December 17, 2014, 02:31:29 AM
That's why I brought it up in the first place. Phoenix's loop system was largely funded by a 1/2 cent general sales tax enacted as Proposition 300 in Maricopa County in 1985, and extended as Proposition 400 in 2004 (obviously that's a boatload of money and only part of it went to the freeways, with the rest building bike lanes, light rail, park&rides, adding new bus lines, and other jerkoff transit projects). But, all that freeway work was done by ADOT, with MAG (Maricopa Association of Governments) just directing where they want the money going like any other regional COG in the country. For that matter, cities in Arizona regularly pass bonds to provide upfront cash to ADOT for construction of important projects years in advance of the planned schedule, to be paid back over time by sales tax revenues. I get that Nevada has more of a dichotomy with the state government up north, but Clark County has more than twice the population of the rest of the state combined, so it seems like they ought to be able to make the decision to tax themselves and pass that money to NDOT for use on local projects without really touching the distribution of statewide funds. Is there that much distrust of the state government in Nevada?

The approach of a local government implementing its own tax for road improvements is not unheard of for Nevada. There is currently a local gas tax (increase above the standard state gas tax amount) that applies in Carson City, which is dedicated specifically to transportation funding. That amount has been turned over to NDOT for the express purpose of constructing the I-580 Carson City Bypass, which has had some phases open sooner than planned due to that funding. Part of the agreement with the city was that NDOT turn over ownership of several state highways in Carson to city control in exchange for expediting work on parts of the bypass

I don't know for sure why the county decided to build the beltway instead of having the state do it. I can only speculate reasons. My uninformed hunch is that it has to do with specifics on the legislation of the gas tax and possibly bonding capacity of the county versus the state. Whatever the case, I sincerely doubt there's the distrust in state government that you inquire about.

Sub-Urbanite

Is the political representation in Nevada split based on population? It seems to me that if there's greater representation in the south then there would be more funding heading there too.

It's a constant battle Andy. A common recent refrain (ie http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2013/oct/27/one-more-roads/) has been that NDOT and the Legislature had no problem building a vanity bridge (paraphrasing others on that description) at Galena Creek to connect Carson City and Reno, but they're pinching pennies to build a freeway bypass around Boulder City to connect Las Vegas and Phoenix.

The NDOT board has 3 members from Western Nevada, 3 from Southern Nevada and one from Winnemucca.

brad2971

Speaking of NDOT and Las Vegas-area road issues, has there been any attempt by NDOT to give, say, Charleston Blvd (SR159) from I-15 to the Beltway to Las Vegas in exchange for Summerlin Parkway? It simply amazes me that Las Vegas can maintain a freeway that it did not build while letting NDOT continue to own long-since built urban streets like Jones and Rainbow Blvds.

roadfro

Quote from: NickCPDX on December 30, 2014, 06:20:20 PM
It's a constant battle Andy. A common recent refrain (ie http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2013/oct/27/one-more-roads/) has been that NDOT and the Legislature had no problem building a vanity bridge (paraphrasing others on that description) at Galena Creek to connect Carson City and Reno, but they're pinching pennies to build a freeway bypass around Boulder City to connect Las Vegas and Phoenix.

The NDOT board has 3 members from Western Nevada, 3 from Southern Nevada and one from Winnemucca.

And it is worth saying that there is bias on both sides of the issue...

For example, that opinion article does blast NDOT for building I-580 extension the way they did, but its supposition that US 395 could've been widened to interstate in the valley (as opposed to the mountainside) is laughable, considering the way it has built up since I-580 was first discussed in the 1970s. For the record, both I-580 and the U.S. 93 Boulder City bypass cost a hell of a lot more than they could have due to alignments selected in response to NIMBYism. That piece also makes it sound like the north has had far more transportation money spent up there, but there has probably been more large scale projects completed in southern Nevada in the last five years than the north has seen in the last ten. Although it could certainly be argued that projects in the south have a greater benefit per capita than those in the north.

With the population density disparity between north and south, nobody will ever see the distribution of transportation dollars as fair...the rural towns tend to get even shorter ends of the stick, but they don't have nearly the voice as Vegas vs Reno/Carson.

roadfro

Quote from: brad2971 on December 30, 2014, 06:57:17 PM
Speaking of NDOT and Las Vegas-area road issues, has there been any attempt by NDOT to give, say, Charleston Blvd (SR159) from I-15 to the Beltway to Las Vegas in exchange for Summerlin Parkway? It simply amazes me that Las Vegas can maintain a freeway that it did not build while letting NDOT continue to own long-since built urban streets like Jones and Rainbow Blvds.

NDOT formed a policy back in the 90s about trying to offload local and arterial roadways, and identified multiple routes statewide for relinquishment to local authorities. While a few of these have been carried out in the last 20ish years, this program hasn't taken off nearly as fast as NDOT a would've liked. The only major example of highway ownership exchanges lately has been in Carson City--most of the state highways in Carson have been relinquished to the city in exchange for the state slightly fast tracking parts of the Carson City Bypass.

I haven't come across any discussion of NDOT assuming control of Summerlin Parkway in a maintenance swap. To me though, it makes perfect sense for the state to take over a high-profile freeway like that (I'd make it SR 195). In exchange, they should offload some of the less important arterial highways in the city that it no longer makes sense for NDOT to own and maintain (such as N Jones Blvd/SR 596, or the couple blocks of Casino Center Blvd/unsigned SR 602 in downtown). SR 159 is not a likely candidate for relinquishing, since it is a primary state highway that actually goes somewhere outside of the Vegas valley.

It is worth mentioning that the original plan for the 215 beltway was for NDOT a to take it over once the county finished freeway buildout along the entire length. As far as I know, this is still planned. However, I make the assumption that NDOT takeover of the beltway will include as a condition the relinquishment of several state-maintained urban arterial roads within unincorporated Clark County jurisdiction.

roadfro

Bumping this with some news...

The very next week's Road Warrior article briefly touches on the point I made at the bottom of my first post in this thread, and also reports that design work is underway to convert the northwest corner to freeway standards.

Western 215 Beltway plans a nice holiday surprise. Richard Velotta, 12/20/2014
http://www.reviewjournal.com/columns-blogs/road/-warrior/western-215-beltway-plans-are-nice-holiday-surprise
But that's where the holiday joy comes in. Even though NDOT has no plans to upgrade that tired traffic-signal issue, the county does.

"Clark County has maintenance responsibility over the majority of the CC-215 Beltway with the exception of the southern section where it is Interstate 215 – Interstate 15 to Warm Springs and from just east of Stephanie Street to U.S. Highway 95 which is maintained by NDOT,"  county spokesman Dan Kulin explained.

He said design plans are about 90 percent complete on the Beltway section between Craig Road (which doesn't have an intersection with the Beltway) to Hualapai Way (which has a full freeway interchange).

Kulin said the project should go to bid early next year, probably by the end of January or early February.

It'll have an estimated cost of $100 million, but it will include replacing the traffic signals at Lone Mountain and Ann with interchanges.

This is interesting to me, because this northwest corner was originally projected to be the last leg to be upgraded to freeway. However, in the early 2000s, this area of the valley likely wasn't projected to grow as much as it did--the North Las Vegas stretch between North 5th and I-15 was going to happen sooner, but much of the home/business growth projected out that way didn't materialize as soon as anticipated due to the economic downturn. So now, it apparently makes more sense to close the freeway gap as much as possible--this means NDOT needs to try and step it up on the phases of the US 95 interchange.

roadfro

Bumping again...

Construction on the northwest corner of the Las Vegas Beltway is underway, and expected to be completed in late spring 2018.

Northwest Beltway construction to run until spring 2018
Las Vegas Review-Journal, 3/10/16
As the northwest area continues to grow, so does its Beltway.

Construction on the 215 Beltway from Craig Road to Hualapai Way is set to turn 3 miles of the heavily traveled roadway into a fully functioning freeway to ease traffic congestion and create a safer environment.

"This project is critically important,"  Brown said. "With the growth in the northwest, anyone that uses this area of the Beltway knows that Lone Mountain and Ann Road are currently signalized intersections, and the line of traffic during the morning and evening goes back 30 to 40 cars. The project won't just focus on efficiency but on safety as well."

The county began building out the northwest portion of the Beltway in September. Currently, earth work is being done on the west side of the Beltway between Lone Mountain and Ann roads, laying groundwork for the new freeway alignment.

Construction of the Lone Mountain interchange has also begun with excavation and forming of the bridge footings. The intersection of the Beltway and Ann Road has shifted east to a detour alignment, making room for construction of the new interchange bridge and ramps.

Construction crews also plan to transform two former gravel pits at Lone Mountain Road into stormwater detention basins.

In addition, the project includes new interchange exits at Lone Mountain and Ann, an extension of the western Beltway bicycle-pedestrian trail, major flood control improvements and a new bridge to carry Centennial Parkway traffic over the Beltway.

Henry

This is welcome news! Hopefully the whole thing will become I-215 when the full freeway conversion is complete.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

roadfro

Quote from: Henry on March 11, 2016, 01:38:35 PM
This is welcome news! Hopefully the whole thing will become I-215 when the full freeway conversion is complete.

That is still the plan, as far as I'm aware. As sections of the beltway are upgraded, they are using full Interstate standards.

This project will give the beltway full freeway status from the southern terminus at I-515/US 93/US 95 in Henderson to the US 95 interchange in NW Las Vegas (about 37 miles), and then again from US 95 to N 5th St in North Las Vegas (about 8 miles). That will just leave the US 95 interchange (slowly being upgraded to a full system interchange over the next decade by NDOT) and the final 5 or so miles to connect to I-15 (uncertain completion timeline) as not built to freeway standards.

The Ghostbuster

Once the freeway is complete, and Clark County 215 becomes Interstate 215, 215 in Nevada and 215 in Utah will be twins.

bing101

Here is an update on the CC 215 by Rockersk08 as of 2018 now the Northwest corridor is under construction to be a freeway up to centennial bowl.

roadfro

BUMP

The freeway conversion of CC 215's northwest corner between Craig Road and Hualipai Way is nearing completion. The new freeway lanes between were to have opened earlier this week.

New sections of Northwest Beltway opening to traffic this week, Las Vegas Review-Journal, 4/29/18

sparker

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on March 15, 2016, 03:26:58 PM
Once the freeway is complete, and Clark County 215 becomes Interstate 215, 215 in Nevada and 215 in Utah will be twins.

Hadn't thought of that before -- but there aren't that many "3/4" beltways around -- and to have 2 with the same number in adjacent states is indeed unusual.   The Vegas version simply shifts the thing clockwise 45 degrees (the missing STL NE corner is analogous to the missing LV east side).     

roadfro

BUMP

A project to upgrade the remaining non-freeway portion of the Las Vegas Beltway's northern will be kicking off next week.

Improvements coming to 215 Beltway in North Las Vegas, Las Vegas Review-Journal, 7/20/18
<...>
The $70 million project calls for building the road into a full freeway between North Fifth Street to the Union Pacific Railroad line just west of Range Road, county spokesman Erik Pappa said.
<...>
The entire segment should be completed by April 2020, Pappa said.

With this project, that will bring the entirety of the 215 beltway up to freeway standard, with the exception of the mainline at the northern US 95 interchange and the very end at the northern I-15 interchange.

The US 95 Centennial Bowl interchange is slowly being upgraded with the various ramps and such via a multi-phase sub-project of a US 95 northwest corridor improvement project. The next phase is planned to start soon as well–making the beltway mainline into a freeway through the Centennial Bowl interchange is the final aspect of that project. (That is discussed further in the Centennial Bowl thread.)

The I-15 northern beltway interchange is also planned to be upgraded to a freeway-to-freeway interchange as well. NDOT has this as a sub-phase of their I-15 north corridor improvement. Most of that project is done (mainline widening to Speedway Blvd just finished). Not sure on the timeline for this interchange though.

Alex

Quote from: roadfro on May 05, 2018, 04:53:45 PM
BUMP

The freeway conversion of CC 215's northwest corner between Craig Road and Hualipai Way is nearing completion. The new freeway lanes between were to have opened earlier this week.

New sections of Northwest Beltway opening to traffic this week, Las Vegas Review-Journal, 4/29/18

The new Tropical Parkway spurring east from the north end of CC 215 appears to be near completion. The arterial was already striped when we passed by it a week ago.

Kniwt

Quote from: Alex on July 22, 2018, 11:05:39 AM
The new Tropical Parkway spurring east from the north end of CC 215 appears to be near completion. The arterial was already striped when we passed by it a week ago.

It opened yesterday.
https://www.reviewjournal.com/traffic/road-opens-to-industrial-area-rising-near-las-vegas-motor-speedway/

QuoteA small stretch of road that opened Thursday morning could pave the way to North Las Vegas' future as a hub for industry and commerce.

Motorists can now exit Interstate 15 and travel about a half-mile east on Tropical Parkway toward distribution centers for Amazon, Sephora and other companies moving into a 1,100-acre industrial area rising near the Las Vegas Motor Speedway.

The Ghostbuster

Would this new roadway inhibit any possibility of making 215 a full beltway around Las Vegas? That is, if such a concept were ever proposed?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.