News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Travel Time Sign

Started by tdindy88, May 26, 2010, 09:01:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NE2

Quote from: CentralCAroadgeek on August 12, 2012, 02:41:54 PM
Now THIS is an awesome VMS, I mean, a freaking route shield on a VMS! Where else has this been done?
Quote from: NE2 on July 29, 2012, 10:50:41 AM

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

D-Dey65

Quote from: NE2 on August 12, 2012, 03:45:19 PM

Aw, hell! That's way better! I ought to get out to the Metro Orlando area more often!

:clap:  :)

jemacedo9

I'm not aware of any in PA, NY, or NJ...they only recently started posting times on VMSs instead of separate signs.  Does anyone know if there are plans to convert to standalone signs for PA, NY, or NJ?

thenetwork

I have seen some in Ontario on the QEW.

Alps

Quote from: jemacedo9 on August 12, 2012, 08:24:32 PM
I'm not aware of any in PA, NY, or NJ...they only recently started posting times on VMSs instead of separate signs.  Does anyone know if there are plans to convert to standalone signs for PA, NY, or NJ?
No, but they're expanding the program in NJ to cover more VMS on more roads. (They are also now doing it for work zones using portable VMS.) Considering the VMS are only ever used for a) Silver Alerts or b) NYC crossing delays, I'm just fine with it.

burgess87

This one looks like it's just about ready to go (Interstate 990 SB near its terminus with Interstate 290) in Buffalo:

The existing VMS is showing the border crossing delays.  At that time:

Peace Br:  0-30 mins
Rainbow Br:  30-60 mins
Lewiston-Queenston Br:  30-60 mins

NYhwyfan

Quote from: burgess87 on August 20, 2012, 09:46:03 PM
This one looks like it's just about ready to go (Interstate 990 SB near its terminus with Interstate 290) in Buffalo:

The existing VMS is showing the border crossing delays.  At that time:

Peace Br:  0-30 mins
Rainbow Br:  30-60 mins
Lewiston-Queenston Br:  30-60 mins

I've seen this sign going up myself and thinks its a great idea.
See how much time to downtown Buffalo via I-290 east (/ NY 33 west) or I-290 west (/ I-190 south)

formulanone

Quote from: algorerhythms on August 12, 2012, 11:48:56 AM
Most street lights use various types of arc lamps rather than the incandescent bulbs most people are used to. If those were incandescent bulbs you wouldn't see that pattern, but arc lamps only make light when the voltage across the bulb is enough to make a spark in the vapor in the bulb. The electrical power for the lights is AC, 60 Hz in the U.S., and 50 Hz in some other countries, so instead of producing a constant light, the arc lamps only produce light when the voltage is away from the center of the wave, so you'll see a pulsing in the light at double the frequency of the AC line (120 Hz). Since the camera is most likely taking shots at a lower frequency, instead of seeing a 120 Hz pattern, we'll see a lower-frequency beat wave.

Thanks for that :), couldn't quite find an answer on Google (although having a short attention span never helps).

MASTERNC

Salt Lake City does everything right with travel times.  Their VMS signs display times, even on the weekends.  Signs near the split for the airport advertised travel times via I-215 and I-15.  Finally, coming out of downtown on Cesar Chavez Blvd, the BGS signs for each Interstate option (I-80 West, I-15 South, I-80 East) display travel times for two destinations on each freeway.

Interstatefan78

I-278 Staten Island Expressway  has travel time display signs from RT-440 to Verrazano Bridge and this is the chokepoint that most Brookyln and JFK aiport bound drivers go through if they are driving from Piscataway and Camden, NJ areas

CentralCAroadgeek

This is one of the new travel time signs on I-15 around Vegas, this one southbound:

As you can see, they haven't been turned on yet, so they must be fairly new.

roadfro

Quote from: CentralCAroadgeek on January 06, 2013, 05:32:05 PM
This is one of the new travel time signs on I-15 around Vegas, this one southbound:

I was not aware that these types of travel time signs had been rolled out to other freeways around Vegas.

RTC installed some similar signs on the southern leg of the 215 beltway a little while back. They went with this style as a more cost effective implementation. They had already implemented travel time displays on I-15 and US 95 in Las Vegas, but these rely on VMS signs to display the times (which are lost when other messages have to be displayed) -- the beltway currently has no VMS displays.

NDOT installed similar signs along I-80 in Reno with their recent reconstruction. Here, brand new VMS displays were put in, but they also put in these types of travel time signs. (The I-80 project installed a lot of ITS infrastructure, where there was virtually no ITS infrastructure previously.) I have yet to see these active though.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

architect77

Quote from: NE2 on August 12, 2012, 03:45:19 PM
Quote from: CentralCAroadgeek on August 12, 2012, 02:41:54 PM
Now THIS is an awesome VMS, I mean, a freaking route shield on a VMS! Where else has this been done?
Quote from: NE2 on July 29, 2012, 10:50:41 AM

Smaller shield on Raleigh's 1st Modern toll road, the "TriEx".

Central Avenue

I'm curious...why the blank space? Is there some destination that will be added in the future that isn't accessible now?
Routewitches. These children of the moving road gather strength from travel . . . Rather than controlling the road, routewitches choose to work with it, borrowing its strength and using it to make bargains with entities both living and dead. -- Seanan McGuire, Sparrow Hill Road

CentralCAroadgeek

Quote from: Central Avenue on January 20, 2013, 05:37:01 PM

I'm curious...why the blank space? Is there some destination that will be added in the future that isn't accessible now?

Who knows, maybe a Baker or Barstow would be put there...

Kniwt

Quote from: Central Avenue on January 20, 2013, 05:37:01 PM

IIRC, all of these new NDOT signs -- both here and around Reno -- have three lines of digits installed, even if they're not signed for anything.

In this case, they can't sign much beyond Primm and stay within their own data sets. They could, I suppose, add (what's left of) Jean as an intermediate destination so folks could decide whether to pause there if the backup is unusually bad.

Brandon

Quote from: architect77 on January 20, 2013, 04:44:57 PM
Smaller shield on Raleigh's 1st Modern toll road, the "TriEx".

That's more like "no shit, Sherlock".  If it's a toll road, then of course tolling will be in progress.  It is a very nice digital rendering of the shield.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.