Split photo contests / games into separate board

Started by Mr. Matté, April 29, 2022, 10:30:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Matté

IMO, it seems like the various photo contests and games (e.g. Exponential road signs game, Guess the census block) threads are really clogging up the discussion boards. I would suggest to split all such threads into a separate board (whether a subboard of something or a completely separate board, I don't have a preference).

JoePCool14

I support this. I like the photo games, but I agree they could be separate. They really don't serve the same purpose as regular discussion threads.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

CoreySamson

I also agree. I think it would both be better for the games themselves (more exposure in their own board, all in one place instead of several places) and the boards they inhabit (less clogged up with the games and therefore easier to search for what you want).
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

webny99

I support this idea. Right now, most games are in Traffic Control, which seems like an odd fit, but then you have some in other boards, too.

If it's best to use an existing board, I would suggest "Photos, Videos, and More" as a potential location for all game and challenge threads.

Scott5114

During the Cody era, there was a board for games. When the Jake era started, it was axed out of a desire to discourage the creation of new game threads. (It would appear that, 10 years on, it didn't help.)

I'm somewhat reluctant to endorse adding a new board, as there are already 24 of them for most logged-in users, not even counting sub-boards.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

JoePCool14

Quote from: Scott5114 on April 30, 2022, 09:54:37 PM
During the Cody era, there was a board for games. When the Jake era started, it was axed out of a desire to discourage the creation of new game threads. (It would appear that, 10 years on, it didn't help.)

I'm somewhat reluctant to endorse adding a new board, as there are already 24 of them for most logged-in users, not even counting sub-boards.

1. What if users are not allowed to start new game threads themselves on that board, but they start them elsewhere and would have to get them moved if they catch on?

2. Make the board only visible to logged in users.

Scott5114

I don't see how either of those would solve anything. #1 would just make more work for us (having to decide which games are "worthy of being moved", and also moving them) and #2 would still mean that logged-in users would have 25 boards to scroll through (and admins more than that).

So if we did this, which boards would you want deleted?

Rothman

I think I'm for reincarnating the games board and getting all the games in there. The years-long experiment to limit games threads has failed.  "Cluttering" is an appropriate term since they're everywhere on the forum now and it's annoying.

I do most of my forum-surfing through Tapatalk, so I don't scroll through the boards -- just unread posts.  And having that board classification helps me skip posts I'm never going to be interested in personally.

I see this benefit with the Fictional Highways board already.  Imagine if all that crap was spread across the boards.  Games are cluttering up boards that really should be devoted to actual information or questions about such.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

webny99

Is there any chance my suggestion of using "Photos, Videos, and More" as a location for all game threads would work instead of a whole new board?

Mr. Matté

Quote from: webny99 on May 03, 2022, 07:52:31 AM

Is there any chance my suggestion of using "Photos, Videos, and More" as a location for all game threads would work instead of a whole new board?

The Travel Mapping board has been obsolete for the past 6 years as well so that one could be a candidate for deletion/repurposing.

oscar

Quote from: Mr. Matté on May 03, 2022, 08:55:52 AM

The Travel Mapping board has been obsolete for the past 6 years as well so that one could be a candidate for deletion/repurposing.

Travel Mapping is a mere "child board" (or "sub-board") of "Off-Topic". Its deletion (which I would be OK with) would not declutter the forum, or create a new opportunity to re-clutter the forum.

I think moving around the games threads would be a waste of time. Thread titles do much of the work of helping users filter in or out games threads. For example, I always ignore any thread called "Guess the ...", no matter where it is located.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Rothman

Getting rid of any thread declutters the forum.  Kill the Travel Mapping thread.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Scott5114

Quote from: Rothman on May 03, 2022, 04:51:24 PM
Getting rid of any thread declutters the forum.  Kill the Travel Mapping thread.

So if I delete this thread?

Scott5114

This would work for the games where users are required to post their own content (like the city name photo game), but not for the guess-the-location type games (since those often operate on non-user-created photos, i.e. Street View).

rickmastfan67

Maybe require any 'game' thread to start with the word "GAME:"?  If they don't have it, nuke them?

Rothman

Quote from: Scott5114 on May 03, 2022, 08:19:51 PM
Quote from: Rothman on May 03, 2022, 04:51:24 PM

So if I delete this thread?

It would declutter the forum, but cause a backlash.

Nobody cares about that TM thread.

JoePCool14

I don't think the forum has too many boards at the moment. When you consider that half of the 24 boards (12) on here are regional boards, I think there is still room for expansion. I'm sure most users don't have time to look through all 12 regional boards, so I don't think it's fair to count them like that.

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: JoePCool14 on May 04, 2022, 12:01:36 AM
I don't think the forum has too many boards at the moment. When you consider that half of the 24 boards (12) on here are regional boards, I think there is still room for expansion. I'm sure most users don't have time to look through all 12 regional boards, so I don't think it's fair to count them like that.

I agree with Joe here. You can easily skim past the regional boards without too much difficulty.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

Scott5114

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on May 04, 2022, 01:26:46 AM

I agree with Joe here. You can easily skim past the regional boards without too much difficulty.

Do note that you can, but I can't... (Or at least, I'm not supposed to.)

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: Scott5114 on May 04, 2022, 01:29:09 AM

Well, you got me there.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

JoePCool14

Quote from: Scott5114 on May 04, 2022, 01:29:09 AM

That's understandable. But the number of game threads probably wouldn't increase much. As already stated, getting rid of the board previously didn't stop them.

This isn't a critical issue though, it's merely a "would be nice" sort of thing. It's pretty common on other forums I've used over the years.

formulanone

I'm okay with a split, but not bothered one way or another. I usually pull them up from the same Traffic Control sub-forum, or wait until it appears in the Show New Replies to Your Posts link.   

"How things were done 10-12 years ago" shouldn't really have the same weight in the discussion, unless it's specifically against the rules.

Hmmm...time to create that 1-4-9 Exponential Route Sign Challenge thread.

hotdogPi

Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

formulanone

Quote from: 1 on May 04, 2022, 12:36:01 PM
Quote from: formulanone on May 04, 2022, 12:27:07 PM
1-4-9 Exponential Route Sign Challenge

That's quadratic, not exponential.

yes. I knew that. As long as there's no more follow up questions.

JoePCool14

If we're talking math, I wonder if we could have a 3-4-5 Triangle game, to find roads that make a 3-4-5 triangle.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.