News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Physical drive lanes?

Started by abefroman329, June 20, 2022, 12:03:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

abefroman329

I saw this terminology in this press release:

https://www.flychicago.com/business/media/news/pages/article.aspx?newsid=1711&fbclid=IwAR1CPoXzPjQ1V1iFMJNxro2OKxg0Mbu9-0FPQH6JVRbtuArKjwH1xqBtdzE

QuoteAn expansion to the curbside area, including physical drive lanes, dedicated entry and exit roadways, escalators, and pedestrian areas

What in the world is a "physical drive lane"?  I Googled it and Google seems to think it's a contraflow lane, which...doesn't make a whole lot of since, since airport access roads tend to be one-way.

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Dirt Roads

Airports need to be careful how they describe the highways and roads.  In addition to the airport access roads, there are roads to the various facilities and parking lots (landside).  Plus, there is usually an extensive road network inside of the airport proper (airside).  On top of that, most airports also have more roads inside the AOA Restricted Area (aircraft operations area).  Then for some airports, there are also roads beneath the airside that may require emergency egress facilities and security controls.  [For the record, there are also trains and cargo conveyors that have to fit into these same categories].

I think you are correct to assume that "physical drive lanes" means the main airport access and other key roads on the landside.  But I am also curious where that term originated.

froggie

Maybe the PR person's way of explaining it?  A quick Google search of "physical drive lanes" finds the ONLY links are related to that O'Hare Terminal 5 announcement.

kphoger

Quote from: froggie on June 20, 2022, 03:39:11 PM
A quick Google search of "physical drive lanes" finds the ONLY links are related to that O'Hare Terminal 5 announcement.

Same here.  Only five hits on Google, and they're all exactly the same verbiage.

If you're really curious to find out, here is the contact info for the PR department at the Chicago Department of Aviation:

cdamedia@cityofchicago.org
(312) 656-6108

https://www.chicago.gov/city/en/depts/doa/provdrs/dbata/news/2022/june/622022.html
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

abefroman329

Quote from: kphoger on June 20, 2022, 04:08:21 PM
Quote from: froggie on June 20, 2022, 03:39:11 PM
A quick Google search of "physical drive lanes" finds the ONLY links are related to that O'Hare Terminal 5 announcement.

Same here.  Only five hits on Google, and they're all exactly the same verbiage.

If you're really curious to find out, here is the contact info for the PR department at the Chicago Department of Aviation:

cdamedia@cityofchicago.org
(312) 656-6108

https://www.chicago.gov/city/en/depts/doa/provdrs/dbata/news/2022/june/622022.html
Thanks, I asked them, will update this thread if/when I hear back.

abefroman329

...and I received the following response a few days ago:

QuoteGood morning.

Here is the response to your question -

"Physical drive lanes"  means additional roadway lanes that a motorist can drive through to augment the existing curbside and roadway capacity that exists at Terminal 5 for passenger pick-up and drop-off.

Thank you.

So...there you have it. Physical drive lanes.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.