News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

4-Laning at intersections

Started by Mergingtraffic, August 04, 2010, 08:07:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mergingtraffic

CT has a practice of widening 2-lane roads to 4-lanes at intersections, sometimes with turning lanes as well.

CT-177 has it in Farmington and US-7 at CT-57

I'm not sure of the purpose of it but any other areas that have this or other things?
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

bugo

Tulsa does this.  More common is a 4 lane undivided street going to a 5 lane with center turning lane at intersections.

Alps

Northern NJ, especially Bergen County, loves to do it with county road intersections.

realjd

They do this for a couple of reasons. One is to double the number of cars that can get through the light per green without lengthening cycle times. The other is if they plan on widening the road in the future, they'll often build the extra lanes when they rework an intersection to prevent having to do it again in the future. It's the same reason you'll sometimes find small bridges over creeks and culverts built wide enough for multiple lanes even though the road is only 2 lanes wide.

Ian

New York State has a few of these.
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

Bickendan

Troubleshooter

This allows other drivers to pass left turning drivers.

US71

Quote from: Bickendan on August 04, 2010, 10:30:53 PM
Oregon has a few.

I've seen a few 4-Lane roads go to 6 or 8 lanes at intersections
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Eth

I'm pretty sure I've never seen an Interstate in Florida have an interchange with a 2-lane road — the surface road always widens to 4-lane divided at the freeway.  I can't say for sure that it's a statewide thing, but certainly in the panhandle.

mapman

Widening two-lane rural highways to four lanes is common Caltrans practice when an intersection is signalized.  I've also seen it a few times in urban areas.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Seen my share of this in Ohio. (Oh 142, Oh 29, US 42 w/I-70 in Madison Co)
Louisiana as well (Juban Rd, Walker Rd, La 43 w/I-12)
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

SSOWorld

I've seen a few in WI - most of the time, they just split the road to add a left turn lane.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

elsmere241

Suburban Delaware has quite a few.  It drove me nuts when I was maintaining New Castle County centerlines.

akotchi

I have seen it mainly for capacity reasons (lower delays at signals, but lane drops on the departure side are not always far enough downstream) and at freeway interchanges (sometimes including a median) in PA and NJ.
Opinions here attributed to me are mine alone and do not reflect those of my employer or the agencies for which I am contracted to do work.

kj3400

Maryland does it too. I know that at one intersection with US 40 a two lane road (technically; two cars can fit per side, but the dashed line isn't there) turns into a four lane road with two left turn lanes per side.
Call me Kenny/Kenneth. No, seriously.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.