News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Why are people here way to serious

Started by roadman65, November 09, 2022, 06:43:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MultiMillionMiler

Oh no, not my intention at all to use it as social media chatting. I have thought about designing new interstates for a couple years now. You should see one of my notebooks, mostly filled with them. I've edited wiki a couple times, but never anything excessive, like one of the times was pointing out how I-278 and I-78 would have intersected 3 times if plans for both were fully completed. That was a potential topic I was thinking of starting a thread on, but I will just post in my own thread if it comes up:

Are there any interstate highways that meet at not 1, not 2, but 3 interchanges? Beltway will usually have 2 with another 2di, but 3? hmm..

hotdogPi

I feel like I'm seriously at risk of being banned. Overall, of my top 10 boards (can't see the entire list), 48% are General Highway Talk, Traffic Control, or Northeast, while the other seven take up 52%. Of my last 100 posts, only eleven (twelve before this post as one drops off) are on topic to roads and not in fictional, and that's including Photos, Videos, and More as on topic. In addition, as I said before, my posting rate has approximately doubled from 3.7 to 7 recently.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

roadman65

MMM you defend peoples criticism way too much.

You obsess over your ideas way too much.
Instead of moving onto the next idea or accepting that no one likes your proposals, you keep pushing it. You suggest things from outer space like many of your cartoonish ideas about dealing with trucks.  You used Jules Verne logic about going through the Core.

You post way too much with non quality posts.  You won't let any of us get the last word. You keep yourself stuck in neutral all the time trying to get the last word for yourself.  It seems you lack empathy.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Scott5114

Quote from: 1 on December 05, 2022, 07:56:10 PM
I feel like I'm seriously at risk of being banned. Overall, of my top 10 boards (can't see the entire list), 48% are General Highway Talk, Traffic Control, or Northeast, while the other seven take up 52%. Of my last 100 posts, only eleven (twelve before this post as one drops off) are on topic to roads and not in fictional, and that's including Photos, Videos, and More as on topic. In addition, as I said before, my posting rate has approximately doubled from 3.7 to 7 recently.

You're fine.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Molandfreak

Yeah but you're cool, so...
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

webny99

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on December 05, 2022, 07:18:38 PM
Quote from: webny99 on December 05, 2022, 06:29:57 PM
Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on December 05, 2022, 06:13:13 PM
I am sure 99 percent of proposed plans would never be considered realistic after all of the research you are suggesting.

That's not true at all. Sure, there are some outlandish proposals, but many of them are plausible from a design perspective and may just be constrained by financial, environmental, or other factors. Perhaps you'd do well to read some fictional threads besides your own and Fritz Owl's before making such a disrespectful generalization.

Disrespectful to who? I wasn't referring to any person (maybe the government).

To anyone who, you know, actually spent time creating a legitimate fictional proposal with the idea that it may actually be feasible and useful in real life someday and did some real research on it, not just throwing out random numbers and countries with no context.

Here's one of mine: https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=31158.0
And another recent example: https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=31840.0

MATraveler128

I would say most of his posts are very low quality and they continue beating the same dead horse continuously. It's getting very old debating the same topic about his whole "PA Turnpike needs to be straightened because of the trucks"  argument. And then the whole I-80 needs to be longer than I-90 for no reason thing.

He's already close to passing 1000 posts since becoming a member on October 25.
Decommission 128 south of Peabody!

Lowest untraveled number: 56

webny99

Quote from: Molandfreak on December 05, 2022, 08:01:56 PM

I speak from having some experience of being a "problem user" in my early days here and I don't think anyone would be banned here unless they were repeatedly and deliberately antagonistic. That's rarely the case with giving genuine suggestions to the moderators/admin team, especially here on the S&Q board.

roadman65

Quote from: BlueOutback7 on December 05, 2022, 08:10:34 PM
I would say most of his posts are very low quality and they continue beating the same dead horse continuously. It's getting very old debating the same topic about his whole "PA Turnpike needs to be straightened because of the trucks"  argument. And then the whole I-80 needs to be longer than I-90 for no reason thing.

He's already close to passing 1000 posts since becoming a member on October 25.

We had a cook when I worked at Westgate Lakes in Orlando who would get into long stupid arguments with his coworkers because he wouldn't move on.  He was stuck in neutral trying to get the last word in and ten minutes later still arguing the same thing.

This is the same MO as this cook that MMM has.  The arguments of his too are old and the same days later.

Sheryl Crowe

MultiMillionMiler

@roadman65 LOL what does extending I-80 or Long Island sound crossings have to do with empathy? It's a neutral topic. I only defend my plans if I feel the replies are overly dismissive, many times I've been quoted 5 times in a row and didn't respond. BTW, you started this thread. Even people who compared me to other users/previous trolls made a point of saying I wasn't obnoxious. I didn't know the requirement to post here was to log thousands of hours researching decades of old newspapers, economy reports, DOT archives, and environmental stuff just to say how a number should be extended. You started the I-80 to Riverhead thread for example, does extending a number down an entirely existing roadway really need all that? I admit I was having a little fun making a few fritzowl style proposals, but at least there was some logic behind them, such as connecting 2 segments of an existing highway, not just plowing 6 concurrent interstates across a desert or down into Baja for no reason, or ferries to Hawaii and Haiti. I have spent time writing to state governments about too lenient child abuse laws and other human rights issues, so don't give me the empathy crap. I also only post in a few threads, so of course it looks condensed, not trying to get the last word.

Edit:deleted copy and paste error part of post.

roadman65

No one criticizes the fact you made the suggestions here. We're just criticizing that you insist that they get a yay from us.

Sheryl Crowe

Scott5114

Quote from: webny99 on December 05, 2022, 08:11:45 PM

I speak from having some experience of being a "problem user" in my early days here and I don't think anyone would be banned here unless they were repeatedly and deliberately antagonistic. That's rarely the case with giving genuine suggestions to the moderators/admin team, especially here on the S&Q board.

1 came up with the idea of the "Lowest-numbered route you haven't been on" thread, which has inspired a lot of people to take actual roadtrips they wouldn't have thought to do otherwise, and caused Jim to write a whole-ass TravelMapping feature to support it. I think that's probably one of the most consequential things anyone has done for the hobby in recent years.

roadman65

Or the " How many counties have you slept in"  thread also was made to encourage traveling on road trips as well. :biggrin:

Sheryl Crowe

webny99

Quote from: Scott5114 on December 05, 2022, 08:28:54 PM

1 came up with the idea of the "Lowest-numbered route you haven't been on" thread, which has inspired a lot of people to take actual roadtrips they wouldn't have thought to do otherwise, and caused Jim to write a whole-ass TravelMapping feature to support it. I think that's probably one of the most consequential things anyone has done for the hobby in recent years.

And in terms of this forum, Road Sign Uno is our longest thread by a comfortable margin.

Scott5114

Quote from: webny99 on December 05, 2022, 09:09:51 PM

And in terms of this forum, Road Sign Uno is our longest thread by a comfortable margin.

My kneejerk reaction was "are you sure about that?" but then I realized that if anyone would know it would be you. :P

webny99

Quote from: Scott5114 on December 05, 2022, 09:13:21 PM
Quote from: webny99 on December 05, 2022, 09:09:51 PM

My kneejerk reaction was "are you sure about that?" but then I realized that if anyone would know it would be you. :P

I think this came up in another thread recently; can't remember which one. But anyways, I know this from sorting threads by number of replies: https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?board=35.0;sort=replies;desc

(Of course, I'd have to check all the boards to be 100% sure about this, but it's a high bar, and Traffic Control tends to have some of the longest threads because of all the games and photo threads.)

roadman65

I'm noticing this thread is now the focus from MMM in one thread.  Same argument but different thread.

Sheryl Crowe

MultiMillionMiler

People actually took road trips just because they realized they hadn't been on a route from a thread LOL

I mean I can't blame them I want to drive the entire length of every x0 and x5 in both directions.

Rothman

Quote from: roadman65 on December 05, 2022, 09:26:09 PM
I'm noticing this thread is now the focus from MMM in one thread.  Same argument but different thread.
He and his contenders are a virus infecting the forum.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Scott5114

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on December 05, 2022, 10:47:26 PM

People actually took road trips just because they realized they hadn't been on a route from a thread LOL

How do you think we get those mob-rule and TravelMapping maps filled in, by sitting at the computer and staring at them?

JoePCool14

I mean I can't blame them I want to drive the entire length of every x0 and x5 in both directions.

Now that's just silly. You can do what you want, but why would you want to drive every x0 and x5 route in both directions when you could clinch them once each and spend the rest of that time exploring different roads, many of which might actually be more interesting and unique?

Quote from: Scott5114 on December 05, 2022, 10:50:07 PM
How do you think we get those mob-rule and TravelMapping maps filled in, by sitting at the computer and staring at them?

Speak for yourself...  :-D

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

MultiMillionMiler

Don't worry, when I get to 1000, you know with my numbering OCD I'll make sure it will stay exactly at 1000. Maybe I-ll go back and delete some low level "I agree" or "fair enough" replies to cancel out my new posts. Or I could delete a post and copy and paste the content back into one of my previous posts near it..etc. Or is any of that against the forum rules?

Max Rockatansky

Amusing that someone with ambitions to drive 2,000,000 miles would critique how people who actually travel by road spend their time.  Considering that 48,756 miles of road comprises the Interstate system you might find reaching your target number quite unobtainable.  But then again you're the guy who rather take a plane to see rollercoasters over driving. 

Scott5114

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on December 05, 2022, 10:53:31 PM

Don't worry, when I get to 1000, you know with my numbering OCD I'll make sure it will stay exactly at 1000. Maybe I-ll go back and delete some low level "I agree" or "fair enough" replies to cancel out my new posts. Or I could delete a post and copy and paste the content back into one of my previous posts near it..etc. Or is any of that against the forum rules?

You know I can change that number to whatever I want, right?

MultiMillionMiler

Quote from: Scott5114 on December 05, 2022, 10:50:07 PM

I thought that was just people recounting where they already had been, not that they actually drove somewhere they normally wouldn't just to add the county.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.