News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Connecticut News

Started by Mergingtraffic, October 28, 2009, 08:39:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shadyjay

I don't know about a lot of accidents, but the traffic still backs up.  It'll be substantially better once the new lane is open and that will permit this exit to have a dedicated lane as well as an option lane. 

Alps

Quote from: bluecountry on September 09, 2021, 10:07:36 AM
Has there been a lot of accidents at the new 91/84 via 15 exit?
Still in construction. Gotta clean it all up to evaluate.

RobbieL2415

Quote from: shadyjay on September 09, 2021, 06:16:40 PM
I don't know about a lot of accidents, but the traffic still backs up.  It'll be substantially better once the new lane is open and that will permit this exit to have a dedicated lane as well as an option lane.
It's already better because there's no longer a steep grade to climb to reach the COB. Though, traffic still goes 25-30 over at least half the flyover before realizing it can go 55. I have no idea why that's happening, but it'll go away once the second lane is opened. What's really key is the fact the outermost lane is an option lane. I wish they would do that with Exit 87 coming southbound of the COB; give traffic two lanes to 91S and have the option lane end in a taper merge. That would cut down on queue-jumpers.

shadyjay

ConnDOT has just posted to the Bid Board a project to remove the Norwalk toll booths on I-95/Conn Turnpike. 

Yes, you read that right. 

Okay, its actually an addendum document to the project to get rid of the last section of grass median in Norwalk and Westport.  But in this era of mass toll booth relocation and/or removal (Mass Pike, Thruway, and now the Maine Tpke plaza at Exit 7 being replaced/removed)... I thought it would be a cool find to share.  Within the project plans are the signing layouts for the toll plazas. 

1.  Go to the Bid Board:   https://portal.ct.gov/DAS/CTSource/BidBoard
2.  Search "Norwalk I-95"
3.  Click on "Median reconstruction/Resurfacing of I-95 Norwalk Westport"
4.  Scroll down to Addendum Documents
5.  Click on "CTDOT_102-216"

Or just click this link and you'll instantly download the toll plaza removal plans:
https://webprocure.perfect.com/MainBidBoard?ac=4&docid=881757&owner_id=149300&bid=93233

The other addendums are other projects from the same era of median replacement on either side of this project, though none of them have really any sign details.

Alps

Quote from: shadyjay on September 14, 2021, 08:58:09 PM
ConnDOT has just posted to the Bid Board a project to remove the Norwalk toll booths on I-95/Conn Turnpike. 

Yes, you read that right. 

Okay, its actually an addendum document to the project to get rid of the last section of grass median in Norwalk and Westport.  But in this era of mass toll booth relocation and/or removal (Mass Pike, Thruway, and now the Maine Tpke plaza at Exit 7 being replaced/removed)... I thought it would be a cool find to share.  Within the project plans are the signing layouts for the toll plazas. 

1.  Go to the Bid Board:   https://portal.ct.gov/DAS/CTSource/BidBoard
2.  Search "Norwalk I-95"
3.  Click on "Median reconstruction/Resurfacing of I-95 Norwalk Westport"
4.  Scroll down to Addendum Documents
5.  Click on "CTDOT_102-216"

Or just click this link and you'll instantly download the toll plaza removal plans:
https://webprocure.perfect.com/MainBidBoard?ac=4&docid=881757&owner_id=149300&bid=93233

The other addendums are other projects from the same era of median replacement on either side of this project, though none of them have really any sign details.

I assume you're saying they posted an old project to the site, as opposed to a new project that will unearth a toll plaza foundation?

shadyjay

ConnDOT roadway and median reconstruction projects being posted lately have been putting in addendums for past projects that have been undertaken in the area of a current project.  Perhaps this is done to match the median and road surface on either side of the project.  Median projects from the past that are posted in the addendums for this project are west of Exit 15 and east of Exit 17, plus the Yankee Doodle Bridge rehab in the 80s and the toll plaza removal. 

It is odd that the area between Exits 16-17 never got any median replacement, while the rest of the west end of the turnpike lost its grass and guardrail a long time ago.

Mergingtraffic

Quote from: shadyjay on September 15, 2021, 05:19:13 PM
ConnDOT roadway and median reconstruction projects being posted lately have been putting in addendums for past projects that have been undertaken in the area of a current project.  Perhaps this is done to match the median and road surface on either side of the project.  Median projects from the past that are posted in the addendums for this project are west of Exit 15 and east of Exit 17, plus the Yankee Doodle Bridge rehab in the 80s and the toll plaza removal. 

It is odd that the area between Exits 16-17 never got any median replacement, while the rest of the west end of the turnpike lost its grass and guardrail a long time ago.

Jay,
I noticed the signs in the toll removal project were "to be relocated"  and said they were demountable copy. The plans were from 1984-1985.

That tells me the extruded aluminum signs were not button copy? I say that bc with the I-91 Exit 29 contract they posted earlier plans and the signage was button copy. I forget the wordage they used but it wasn't demountable copy.

I'm also guessing the turnpike had original signage mixed in w newer signs for years until a blanket replacement of reflective button copy came along.

CT used demountable copy from around 1981-1984 or so in between non-reflective and then reflective button copy.
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

abqtraveler

Quote from: Mergingtraffic on September 15, 2021, 10:21:06 PM
Quote from: shadyjay on September 15, 2021, 05:19:13 PM

Jay,
I noticed the signs in the toll removal project were "to be relocated"  and said they were demountable copy. The plans were from 1984-1985.

That tells me the extruded aluminum signs were not button copy? I say that bc with the I-91 Exit 29 contract they posted earlier plans and the signage was button copy. I forget the wordage they used but it wasn't demountable copy.

I'm also guessing the turnpike had original signage mixed in w newer signs for years until a blanket replacement of reflective button copy came along.

CT used demountable copy from around 1981-1984 or so in between non-reflective and then reflective button copy.
Its interesting CTDOT titles the project as "I-95 Median Reconstruction and Resurfacing," as when you look at the plans, there is a lot more going on than just replacing the median barrier and placing a new layer of asphalt over the roadway. Plans call for the bridge over Saugatuck Avenue (Route 33) to be completely replaced, using the Accelerated Bridge Construction (ABC) method. The plans suggest that the new bridge halves (one NB and one SB) will be built alongside the existing bridge, and then the Contractor will over two weekends, shift traffic to one side, demolish one half of the bridge and slide the new half into place. Additionally, the contract plans include extensive rehabilitation of the Saugatuck River Bridge and the bridge over Franklin Street, and some minor ramp modifications at Exits 16 and 17.
2-d Interstates traveled:  4, 5, 8, 10, 15, 20, 24, 25, 27, 29, 35, 39, 40, 41, 43, 45, 49, 55, 57, 64, 65, 66, 69, 70, 71, 72, 74, 75, 76(E), 77, 78, 81, 83, 84(W), 85, 87(N), 89, 90, 91, 93, 94, 95

2-d Interstates Clinched:  12, 22, 30, 37, 44, 59, 80, 84(E), 86(E), 238, H1, H2, H3, H201

MikeCL

What's up with all the highway advisory signs not being fixed? Like this one NB in stamford just past 6

MikeCL

Quote from: RobbieL2415 on September 02, 2021, 12:22:56 PM
Can someone explain to my why this state refuses to time walk signals to signal phases?

If no one is going to push the button and just cross when they have a "hand", what's the point in having them?
What annoys me is they push it once then cross anyways when it's not their time to cross only to hold up traffic when they are long gone and the walk signal is on.

vdeane

Quote from: MikeCL on October 14, 2021, 08:47:27 AM
What's up with all the highway advisory signs not being fixed? Like this one NB in stamford just past 6
Does CT still use HAR?  The Thruway just got rid of their system, so all the signs are covered up or taken down.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

RobbieL2415

District 1 decided to start replacing aluminum signage on I-84 WB between Exits 57 and 68.

It looks weird now that that stretch has proper mile markers.

They installed/replaced those, as well as added road name signs for bridges, new gore signs, and a TON of new speed limit signs.
A new "Slower Traffic Keep Right" sign is up at the Exit 62 on-ramp, I guess because that area is a bottleneck, but I feel as though that's more attributable to road geometry. The turn over Buckland St. causes traffic to slow down when it doesn't need to, and then it bunches up coming out of it and everyone slows down to 60 MPH.

No idea if they're going to replace the rest of the aluminum signs, some of which undoubtedly date to the 1978-83 widening.

abqtraveler

Quote from: vdeane on October 14, 2021, 12:35:27 PM
Does CT still use HAR?  The Thruway just got rid of their system, so all the signs are covered up or taken down.
Connecticut is one of the few states that hasn't yet joined the 511 network. Until they do so, there may still be a need for the HAR.
2-d Interstates traveled:  4, 5, 8, 10, 15, 20, 24, 25, 27, 29, 35, 39, 40, 41, 43, 45, 49, 55, 57, 64, 65, 66, 69, 70, 71, 72, 74, 75, 76(E), 77, 78, 81, 83, 84(W), 85, 87(N), 89, 90, 91, 93, 94, 95

2-d Interstates Clinched:  12, 22, 30, 37, 44, 59, 80, 84(E), 86(E), 238, H1, H2, H3, H201

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: RobbieL2415 on October 14, 2021, 03:19:52 PM
District 1 decided to start replacing aluminum signage on I-84 WB between Exits 57 and 68.

They installed/replaced those, as well as added road name signs for bridges, new gore signs, and a TON of new speed limit signs.
A new "Slower Traffic Keep Right" sign is up at the Exit 62 on-ramp, I guess because that area is a bottleneck, but I feel as though that's more attributable to road geometry. The turn over Buckland St. causes traffic to slow down when it doesn't need to, and then it bunches up coming out of it and everyone slows down to 60 MPH.

No idea if they're going to replace the rest of the aluminum signs, some of which undoubtedly date to the 1978-83 widening.

The enhanced mile marker section has been extended a little bit from MP 56 by Westfarms Mall.  All of the full mile markers and most of the 1/5 mile markers have been erected up to Sisson Ave (EB), and a single MP 62 one just before the entrance to the tunnel.  Westbound is a little less complete with a couple of full mile ones in West Harford. 

Also saw a new overhead gantry went up last night on CT 72 West just before Corbin Ave (CT 372) with an Exit Only sign for I-84 East using only Hartford (no longer Farmington/Hartford) as the control.  Unlike the Corbin Ave ones, this time they did include the 6 as an overlay of the future 3 on the exit tab.  They've also replaced the two Exit 25 and 26 (future 35A and 35B) signs on the double single post gantry on CT 9 North.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

shadyjay

Figures.... drove up Rt 9 and 72 last Saturday and there was nothing new that I haven't seen yet.... even the 2018 spot replacement site on CT 9 SB at Exit 28 still hasn't been finished (only one support up).  It is strange to see how the 3 contracts on CT 9 have started differently... south of Middletown, lots of new sheet signs are up.  The middle section has most ground-mounts up.  And the northern section (the first contract) has shown the least progress.  I did notice one new sign on the northern section has an overlayed number, leading me to believe that instead of replacing the entire tab on the new signs (as shown in the contracts), they will instead overlay the old number over the new number, and when the southern contract comes to install extruded signs, the overlays will come off, revealing the new number.  We will see.  Southern contract still hasn't corrected the SB mile markers, as they are off by 1 mile.  They have yet to install arrows on the exit ramp sheet aluminum signs. 

RE:  Highway Advisory Radio
I don't understand why states are phasing it out.  New York Thruway phased it out, wanting its motorists to use the app... but how does that work with "hands free driving"?  A lot easier (and safer) to turn to a radio station to find out about traffic alerts, than opening an app on your phone.  What if you're the only one in the vehicle? 

Mergingtraffic

Oh yes Speed Limit signs.....the PC sign nowadays.  Speeding and going fast is bad bad bad.  I've noticed in certain areas there are more important messages to display for drivers that aren't displayed that well, but there's ton of speed limit messages.  CT-9 in Middletown comes to mind.  Lots of speed limit messages but not a whole lot of warning for a stop light in the middle of a freeway.  I still say there should be extruded aluminum signal ahead warning signs on that stretch but I guess it'll never happen.

shadyjay

There's an extra lot of speed limit signs on CT 9 from Old Saybrook to Middletown currently.  In that contract, sheet signs are going up, but the old ones have yet to come down.  In some cases, you have 5 or 6 in the span of a mile.  Really, it seems like overkill.  The ones with the larger numerals will be removed, but still CT seems to think motorists need a reminder every mile of the speed limit.  Maybe in the case of a reduced limit (<65) but when its 65, one between exits is more than adequate, especially CT-spaced exits. 

Most (but not all) speed limit 65 signs (with the larger numerals) went up in 1998 when the speed limit increased.  New ones put up in sign contracts over the past 10-15 years have the smaller numerals, which are in vogue again (just like the SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT being the standard once again).

RobbieL2415

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on October 15, 2021, 05:56:55 PM

The enhanced mile marker section has been extended a little bit from MP 56 by Westfarms Mall.  All of the full mile markers and most of the 1/5 mile markers have been erected up to Sisson Ave (EB), and a single MP 62 one just before the entrance to the tunnel.  Westbound is a little less complete with a couple of full mile ones in West Harford. 

Also saw a new overhead gantry went up last night on CT 72 West just before Corbin Ave (CT 372) with an Exit Only sign for I-84 East using only Hartford (no longer Farmington/Hartford) as the control.  Unlike the Corbin Ave ones, this time they did include the 6 as an overlay of the future 3 on the exit tab.  They've also replaced the two Exit 25 and 26 (future 35A and 35B) signs on the double single post gantry on CT 9 North.
Yeah, I did notice that. There's a lot of road work near Westfarms and they're still rehabbing the CT 15 flyover bridges. Maybe they're waiting a little bit to put in the in-between markers?

Also, I forgot to say that the replacement Interstate shields are on one post, not the double posts as they have usually been.

Quote from: shadyjay on October 15, 2021, 08:59:45 PM
Figures.... drove up Rt 9 and 72 last Saturday and there was nothing new that I haven't seen yet.... even the 2018 spot replacement site on CT 9 SB at Exit 28 still hasn't been finished (only one support up).  It is strange to see how the 3 contracts on CT 9 have started differently... south of Middletown, lots of new sheet signs are up.  The middle section has most ground-mounts up.  And the northern section (the first contract) has shown the least progress.  I did notice one new sign on the northern section has an overlayed number, leading me to believe that instead of replacing the entire tab on the new signs (as shown in the contracts), they will instead overlay the old number over the new number, and when the southern contract comes to install extruded signs, the overlays will come off, revealing the new number.  We will see.  Southern contract still hasn't corrected the SB mile markers, as they are off by 1 mile.  They have yet to install arrows on the exit ramp sheet aluminum signs. 

RE:  Highway Advisory Radio
I don't understand why states are phasing it out.  New York Thruway phased it out, wanting its motorists to use the app... but how does that work with "hands free driving"?  A lot easier (and safer) to turn to a radio station to find out about traffic alerts, than opening an app on your phone.  What if you're the only one in the vehicle? 

Yeah, it's weird, they're doing shields and speed limit signs, but there's a ton of faded and non-reflective signs from East Hartford to Vernon, mostly original to the widening.

The distracted driving statute does not count the actual dialing of a phone number as "engag[ing] in a call". So you can dial 511 and then use speakerphone. To be "engaged in a call" you have to be holding the phone on or in proximity to an ear.

Quote from: shadyjay on October 17, 2021, 07:42:34 PM
There's an extra lot of speed limit signs on CT 9 from Old Saybrook to Middletown currently.  In that contract, sheet signs are going up, but the old ones have yet to come down.  In some cases, you have 5 or 6 in the span of a mile.  Really, it seems like overkill.  The ones with the larger numerals will be removed, but still CT seems to think motorists need a reminder every mile of the speed limit.  Maybe in the case of a reduced limit (<65) but when its 65, one between exits is more than adequate, especially CT-spaced exits. 

Most (but not all) speed limit 65 signs (with the larger numerals) went up in 1998 when the speed limit increased.  New ones put up in sign contracts over the past 10-15 years have the smaller numerals, which are in vogue again (just like the SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT being the standard once again).

In the East Hartford-Vernon stretch of I-84, a lot of those are pre-1998 S/L signs with the number 65 tacked on.
Their placement strategy seems to follow the standard of after each on-ramp, but there's a few places where they added an extra one.

shadyjay

I just was cruising around Google Streetview and zoomed in on a speed limit sign.... I did not notice the "65" was a tack on! 
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.7980538,-72.556807,3a,15y,82.7h,88.43t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s5aRk_e4nMvalVRKoqO4qsA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

If that's the case... then the speed limit sign here may in fact date back to the 80s, when the road was widened.  From the mid 80s until 1998, the speed limit standard sign for CT was the smaller numerals.  On the eve of 65, most roads which were to get the 65 mph boost got all new speed limit signs, fabricated as "SPEED LIMIT 65", but with the "5" tacked on until the day the new law took effect (October 1, 1998 I want to say).  Most other states would have kept the existing signs and just tacked on a "6" over the "5".  This did occur in a few locations, such as here:
IMG_3097 by Jay Hogan, on Flickr

abqtraveler

I don't understand why Connecticut takes so long to complete a sign replacement project. A few years ago, New York replaced all of the signs (including supports and foundations) along the entire 71-mile length of I-84 in about 10 months. Yet, Connecticut seems to take about 3+ years to do the same over a 40 mile stretch of roadway. Even more bothersome, is there are projects in Connecticut to replace a single sign assembly that take more than a year to complete.

But then again, I don't think Connecticut gives their contractors any incentive to finish projects quickly, whereas other states hold their contractors' feet to the fire to get things done within a certain timeframe.

RobbieL2415

Quote from: abqtraveler on October 19, 2021, 10:42:17 AM

I don't understand why Connecticut takes so long to complete a sign replacement project. A few years ago, New York replaced all of the signs (including supports and foundations) along the entire 71-mile length of I-84 in about 10 months. Yet, Connecticut seems to take about 3+ years to do the same over a 40 mile stretch of roadway. Even more bothersome, is there are projects in Connecticut to replace a single sign assembly that take more than a year to complete.

But then again, I don't think Connecticut gives their contractors any incentive to finish projects quickly, whereas other states hold their contractors' feet to the fire to get things done within a certain timeframe.
The aluminum signs on I-84 are being done overnight. They're probably just sending a two-man crew out with a dump truck full of signs, but they only do maybe a mile and a half per night. They're just adding enhanced mile markers and bridge signs and replacing gore and merge signs. Why can't the whole thing be done in one night?

MikeCL

Quote from: abqtraveler on October 14, 2021, 09:44:18 PM
Quote from: vdeane on October 14, 2021, 12:35:27 PM
Connecticut is one of the few states that hasn't yet joined the 511 network. Until they do so, there may still be a need for the HAR.
Just odd the signs were hanging on for dear life then I guess wind took down the rest of it.. what I don't get is all the small highway DOT signs on the side of the roadway like the weigh station in Greenwich, they took down the one over the road to put a fixed portable on the side of the road.

Mergingtraffic

The temp CT-8 NB lanes in Waterbury are now closed. You're back on the original mixmaster. The big huge arrow per lane BGS is gone. I guess it was a temp one. Too bad it wasn't orange. It's been replaced with an I-84 East Hartford Exit 35 BGS. The exit 35 is an overlay as Exit 31 is still closed.

Absolutely nothing new w the signing contract from Bridgeport to Shelton. Nothing in at least 3 weeks

abqtraveler

Quote from: Mergingtraffic on November 04, 2021, 08:13:22 PM
The temp CT-8 NB lanes in Waterbury are now closed. You're back on the original mixmaster. The big huge arrow per lane BGS is gone. I guess it was a temp one. Too bad it wasn't orange. It's been replaced with an I-84 East Hartford Exit 35 BGS. The exit 35 is an overlay as Exit 31 is still closed.

Absolutely nothing new w the signing contract from Bridgeport to Shelton. Nothing in at least 3 weeks
They're getting pretty close to finished with the Waterbury Mixmaster. As you mentioned, NB Route 8 is back on its normal alignment and Route 8 SB has been fully reopened. They're still working of a couple of the ramps, but it looks like they'll be done next year, as scheduled.

kernals12

So now that the BIB has been passed, is 84 in Danbury finally getting widened?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.