News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Atlanta

Started by Chris, January 28, 2009, 10:42:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

adventurernumber1

Quote from: Tom958 on August 03, 2021, 05:25:44 AM

In case you haven't seen them yet, navigation here is also aided by these beautiful pavement shields, which are sure to become an Atlanta landmark.

Now that gave me a good laugh.  :-D  :-D  :rofl:

But while erroneous painted shields are more minor, it's disappointing that the I-285/GA 400 interchange reconstruction was not done as well as it could have been for long-term effectiveness, as that is something much harder to fix. But nonetheless I am very excited to see its completion hopefully sometime soon.

And I am also very excited for this string of upcoming projects (as well as the I-285 express lanes):

Quote from: Georgia on August 05, 2021, 11:27:26 PM
400 express lanes- start 4th quarter 2022 end 1st quarter 2027
285-20 east- start 2nd quarter 2023 end 2nd quarter 2026
285-20 west- start 4th quarter 2023 end 2nd quarter 2027
truck lanes- start 2nd quarter 2024 end 4th quarter 2027

this is all from the MMIP webpage and was updated early this week.

edit: here is the webpage http://majormobilityga.com
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

ukfan758

Quote from: Georgia on August 05, 2021, 11:27:26 PM
400 express lanes- start 4th quarter 2022 end 1st quarter 2027
285-20 east- start 2nd quarter 2023 end 2nd quarter 2026
285-20 west- start 4th quarter 2023 end 2nd quarter 2027
truck lanes- start 2nd quarter 2024 end 4th quarter 2027

this is all from the MMIP webpage and was updated early this week.

edit: here is the webpage http://majormobilityga.com

It’s pretty sad that Georgia can build ~30 miles of brand new isolated truck lanes (in essence half a freeway) with tons of new bridges plus rebuilding parts of the mainline in 3.5 years (even if it was 5 that would be amazing imo) yet IDOT up in Chicago can’t even manage to finish rebuilding the Circle Interchange in under 9 years.

architect77

Quote from: D-Dey65 on August 08, 2021, 02:52:01 PM
I just thought of this issue this morning; As much as people in Metro Atlanta may complain about traffic on I-285, does anybody honestly think traffic would be better without it?

No one would think your question is the alternative to the gripes.

The gripe is from their forcing a thick milkshake (local and multi-state East-West traffic & freight for 40 million people) through a tiny straw (one 5 lane freeway where per capita there should be 3-5 separate East-West highways minimum).

architect77

I drove through 285/400 interchange heading Westbound the other day. It's a big mess, but the flyover from 400 Southbound to 285 Eastbound is still impressive just due to its long length.

Anyone know why they have the European-style new Overhead approaching 75 with 6 straight-ahead arrows?

It looks dumb and then the overheads for the 3 I-75 lanes get smaller strangely and reduce the exit's importance even though it's far more significant anything elseat that spot.

Tomahawkin

Just heard that the 400/285 interchange will not be complete til the 3rd quarter of 2022, which makes sense from what I said 6 weeks ago. They are blaming the weather and of course Covid. I been a broken record in saying that I have seen 100,000 seat, retractable roof stadiums get built in half the time it's taking this interchange to get built. And there is only 1 high flyover bridge...

Tom958

Quote from: Tomahawkin on August 15, 2021, 12:15:55 PM
Just heard that the 400/285 interchange will not be complete til the 3rd quarter of 2022, which makes sense from what I said 6 weeks ago. They are blaming the weather and of course Covid. I been a broken record in saying that I have seen 100,000 seat, retractable roof stadiums get built in half the time it's taking this interchange to get built. And there is only 1 high flyover bridge...

The seemingly-slow pace doesn't bother me. Complicated projects take time. What bothers me is how GDOT made the patently absurd claim that the project would be substantially complete by the end of 2021. It was straight-up gaslighting, and for no reason whatsoever. Why did they do it? Why? In all my decades as a spectator, I've become convinced that GDOT is run by people with serious emotional problems, and it's polluted and warped their institutional culture. Of course, nothing will ever be done about it.

Ironically, to further belabor the point, GDOT managed to produce this truly excellent video spanning the entirety of the construction process, including the various detours. I've never seen anything like it. It's beautiful! Oh: we're at about 1:30 now, though the video shows bother the westbound CD and the new eastbound ramp to Ashford Dunwoody both open, which wasn't the case when I was last there.

Before seeing the video, I'd believed that it'd be necessary to build detours around the existing bridges carrying 285 over northbound 400 so the bridges could be replaced with longer ones to span both directions of 400. However, what the video shows is both directions of the 285 mainline being crammed onto the existing six-lane bridge carrying eastbound 285 so the westbound side can be replaced. Then switch the mainline to the new westbound bridge so the eastbound side can be replaced.

It occurred to me that maybe GDOT had decided to avoid replacing that pair of bridges by reducing the southbound 400 mainline to two lanes and cramming it under the end spans of the existing bridges. However, even if that was the case, they're still replacing the bridges over Peachtree Dunwoody, which will require the same detour.

architect77

Quote from: Tom958 on August 16, 2021, 05:38:33 PM

The seemingly-slow pace doesn't bother me. Complicated projects take time. What bothers me is how GDOT made the patently absurd claim that the project would be substantially complete by the end of 2021. It was straight-up gaslighting, and for no reason whatsoever. Why did they do it? Why? In all my decades as a spectator, I've become convinced that GDOT is run by people with serious emotional problems, and it's polluted and warped their institutional culture. Of course, nothing will ever be done about it.

Ironically, to further belabor the point, GDOT managed to produce this truly excellent video spanning the entirety of the construction process, including the various detours. I've never seen anything like it. It's beautiful! Oh: we're at about 1:30 now, though the video shows bother the westbound CD and the new eastbound ramp to Ashford Dunwoody both open, which wasn't the case when I was last there.

Before seeing the video, I'd believed that it'd be necessary to build detours around the existing bridges carrying 285 over northbound 400 so the bridges could be replaced with longer ones to span both directions of 400. However, what the video shows is both directions of the 285 mainline being crammed onto the existing six-lane bridge carrying eastbound 285 so the westbound side can be replaced. Then switch the mainline to the new westbound bridge so the eastbound side can be replaced.

It occurred to me that maybe GDOT had decided to avoid replacing that pair of bridges by reducing the southbound 400 mainline to two lanes and cramming it under the end spans of the existing bridges. However, even if that was the case, they're still replacing the bridges over Peachtree Dunwoody, which will require the same detour.

They aren't prolific road builders so it's understandable that their estimation guesses wouldn't be pin point accurate.

I'm convinced that they work in an insular vacuum, and they don't drive through other states much to glean better ways to do things.

They receive a challenge placed before them, and they come up with their own solution with comparing it to similar situations in other states.

We may be 8th most populous but we're a long way from looking like a top tier state.

Rothman

Quote from: architect77 on August 16, 2021, 10:17:44 PM
Quote from: Tom958 on August 16, 2021, 05:38:33 PM

They aren't prolific road builders so it's understandable that their estimation guesses wouldn't be pin point accurate.

I'm convinced that they work in an insular vacuum, and they don't drive through other states much to glean better ways to do things.

They receive a challenge placed before them, and they come up with their own solution with comparing it to similar situations in other states.

We may be 8th most populous but we're a long way from looking like a top tier state.

"Forget the myths the media's created about [GDOT]. The truth is, these are not very bright guys, and things got out of hand."
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Tomahawkin

Well what a Shocker ( Sarcasm) the 400 toll lanes start date is delayed again! It may not start til 2025 ####...

Plutonic Panda

Seems like this project should have its own thread lol. It is odd how they keep getting delayed:

https://www.constructionequipmentguide.com/georgia-400-toll-lanes-delayed-by-unexpectedly-high-contractor-bid/53630

Tomahawkin

Fair warning! 285 is expected to be reduced from 5 lanes to 3 in both directions between Ashford Dunwoody to Roswell road for bridge construction. I'm going to avoid that area like the plague

architect77

Spaghetti Junction is an elegant work of art. If they would clean or paint the concrete sides of each flyover to get rid of the dark algae stains, it would really stand out against the green background of trees.

But look at the voice of our state as you approach the most special interchange in the Southeast, and possibly on the entire East coast due to its perfect symmetrical properties. I mean could it get any worse than the lettering on these signs cascading downward with no baseline alignment on any of them? I hope these are replaced when the Express Lanes are built, but still 7 years of this disgrace is a blight on the state.

6 by Stephen Edwards, on Flickr

Tomahawkin

Word is that the P.I.B. interchange with 285 will be improved (the ramp from 285W to P.I.B north) within the next 4 years. This is badly needed because the 5mph speeds at that ramp in the afternoons causes accidents. This was 15 years overdue

Tom958

Quote from: Tomahawkin on September 14, 2021, 08:09:00 PM
Word is that the P.I.B. interchange with 285 will be improved (the ramp from 285W to P.I.B north) within the next 4 years. This is badly needed because the 35mph speeds at that ramp in the afternoons causes accidents. This was 15 years overdue

That ramp is a veritable golden shower of warning signs.

The scheme for that involves moving the offramp upstream to create a single exit for both northbound and southbound PIB. The weave from Buford Highway is already too short, especially since Buford Highway traffic has to merge into a lane that gets dropped a short distance downstream.

The real impetus for that project is GDOT's desire to build a ramp braid for the PIB onramp and the North Shallowford et al offramp, which requires moving the offramp to southbound PIB upstream.

architect77

Quote from: Tom958 on September 18, 2021, 06:04:15 PM
Quote from: Tomahawkin on September 14, 2021, 08:09:00 PM
Word is that the P.I.B. interchange with 285 will be improved (the ramp from 285W to P.I.B north) within the next 4 years. This is badly needed because the 35mph speeds at that ramp in the afternoons causes accidents. This was 15 years overdue

That ramp is a veritable golden shower of warning signs.

The scheme for that involves moving the offramp upstream to create a single exit for both northbound and southbound PIB. The weave from Buford Highway is already too short, especially since Buford Highway traffic has to merge into a lane that gets dropped a short distance downstream.

The real impetus for that project is GDOT's desire to build a ramp braid for the PIB onramp and the North Shallowford et al offramp, which requires moving the offramp to southbound PIB upstream.

Maybe then as they do this project they can replace the PIB access road overheads. Some are halfway broken off, others unreadable from 25 years under the elements. I drove up PIB Northward a few months ago and it had just been repaved for a long stretch. How they could keep old, antiquated overheads that are barely readable up that highway is beyond me..

The GDOT office for the division that covers that area is near the Walmart. But at 285 the West 285 and East tiny Shield signs ( the only guide get drivers to their intended direction) is 30 years old, faded and looks like crap. And there should be huge overheads with guidance for this major junction with an all important loop.

Fixed quote. - rmf67

Georgia

Akers Mill Express Lanes access project had the ceremonial groundbreaking today.

Tomahawkin

Will there be a Express lane ramp like this added to the 17th street Bridge? If I'm not mistaking??? There is a ghost ramp there with open space to add a ramp, or was that the 14th street Bridge after it was rebuilt?

Finrod

Quote from: Georgia on October 15, 2021, 07:00:30 PM
Akers Mill Express Lanes access project had the ceremonial groundbreaking today.

Cops will have to find a new place to hide-- they loved to sit there on the immensely wide left shoulder of I-75 North just north of Akers Mill and target speeders.

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.8867578,-84.45782,3a,75y,237.04h,89.93t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s87FTkqmNsF3zKgh4p5qtfg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192
Internet member since 1987.

Hate speech is a nonsense concept; the truth is hate speech to those that hate the truth.

People who use their free speech to try to silence others' free speech are dangerous fools.

Georgia

Quote from: Tomahawkin on October 15, 2021, 08:05:32 PM
Will there be a Express lane ramp like this added to the 17th street Bridge? If I'm not mistaking??? There is a ghost ramp there with open space to add a ramp, or was that the 14th street Bridge after it was rebuilt?

Yes, a ramp will be added on the north side of the Akers Mill Bridge, exit ramp in the morning and entrance ramp in the evening. 

ran4sh

I agree that Midtown needs an HOV access ramp to/from the north, although it seems that it would be hard to fit one there that would have access to and from both I-75 and I-85 to the north.
Control cities CAN be off the route! Control cities make NO sense if signs end before the city is reached!

Travel Mapping - Most Traveled: I-40, 20, 10, 5, 95 - Longest Clinched: I-20, 85, 24, 16, NJ Tpk mainline
Champions - UGA FB '21 '22 - Atlanta Braves '95 '21 - Atlanta MLS '18

Tom958

The ramp braid along I-75 northbound between Forest Parkway and I-285 is open. It looks really crisp and nice, though I did notice one BGS goof.

architect77

Quote from: Finrod on October 17, 2021, 01:51:38 AM
Quote from: Georgia on October 15, 2021, 07:00:30 PM

Cops will have to find a new place to hide-- they loved to sit there on the immensely wide left shoulder of I-75 North just north of Akers Mill and target speeders.

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.8867578,-84.45782,3a,75y,237.04h,89.93t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s87FTkqmNsF3zKgh4p5qtfg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

I'm glad they are out there because there are enough hellions weaving through cars at 85-90 mph to keep the state troopers very busy. I get angry because they are putting everyone on the freeway at a very increased risk. One unexpected lane change and you've got a major catastrophe.

And there are plenty of cars on weekend nights on the freeways going 80 mph with their lights on. I mean pitch black cars on crowded freeways like proof of dark matter in space. These car makers shouldn't light up the instrument panel without warning people their outside lights aren't on. And the drivers don't realize it because of the ambient light from other cars.

Tom958

crossposted to the APL thread

Here's one of four new APL's at a recently-completed ramp braid-CD complex just south of Atlanta. This assembly is repeated at the one mile mark, where the GA 331 offramp breaks off. Is the I-285 offramp straight ahead? Off to the right? maybe both, as it was before the current project was completed. And does it matter? Either way, it's pretty obvious that traffic bound for 285 needs to be in the right lane. 

I assume that GDOT is riffing off of a practice I've seen in Florida whereby an unnecessary, noncompliant APL is used well in advance of the exit if a lane is to be added downstream to create a two-lane exit with an option lane. A proper APL* is then used after the lane is added. My Florida example is clear enough because the legend is placed correctly in relation to the split arrow, but the EXIT ONLY in the Georgia scheme prevents that, leading to a dog's breakfast effect.

There's no option lane here and thus no warrant for an APL; conventional signage with no arrow would've been the MUTCD-compliant way to go. However, in GDOT's defense, there was a properly warranted, properly designed APL under the earlier setup. Perhaps GDOT felt that the APL was enough of a landmark that removing it could be hazardously confusing to drivers who are familiar with the area.

Tom958

The other day, I stumbled upon a very unusual project in Cobb County: the city of Smyrna's Windy Hill Boulevard, along Windy Hill Road between south Cobb Drive and Atlanta Road. This Streetview from February shows the low-quality commercial development along the north side of Windy Hill Road cleared and with a new two-lane road under construction toward the back of the newly-acquired right of way. Now, westbound traffic is using that new road, with eastbound traffic using the former westbound lanes of Windy Hill while the street frontage is reconstructed. There's still a lot of empty space between. What's it for?

https://smyrnasplost.com/windy-hill-boulevard-concept/

Turns out that there'll be a depressed four-lane mainline running between the outer roads, which will be converted to one way, one lane with a continuous bike lane. Two of the three traffic signals between will be eliminated, though the one a block from Atlanta Road will remain. There'll be two bridges across the mainline, each including U-turn ramps flanking a crosswalk and sitting areas overlooking the mainline in case people want to hang out there.   :rolleyes:

The project is costing $47 million, including the $29.6 million main construction contract.

architect77

The problem in my opinion is their trying to save money by combining what should be separate overhead signs, which negates all of the subliminal info that is interpreted by the driver.

The size and separation of overheads mounted side by side hints to drivers about exits' "finality" for lack of a better word, meaning that a distinct separate sign for Atlanta Bypass (previous post) and this one for I-75 Express would say... "hey look, stay over to the left but it will be upcoming exit soon that won't be part of the mainline."

This assembly bothers me in so many ways:  The combination of the Express Lane exit with 285 West, the layout looks too centered as if it's all one destination, the overall sign size seems a little smaller despite the criticality of the 3 choices you must make.

GDOT seems to not believe or acknowledge all of the unspoken info that is interpreted through the size and placement of signage.

For every step they make forward, there's always one or two steps back.

285 by Stephen Edwards, on Flickr

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.