News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Google Street View

Started by Alex, April 04, 2009, 12:51:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

agentsteel53

Quote from: Master son on December 15, 2009, 05:39:52 PM
"New York State Throughway"? :eyebrow:

oddly, this is the one instance in which the Sili Speling looks more correct.  Miller "Lite" beer looks wrong, and even spelling of a road as a "Hi-Way" is awfully silly, as is referring to one of New York City's administrative regions as a "boro" ... but as for the Thruway - I know it's wrong but that's the way I likes it!
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

deathtopumpkins

Speaking of NYC, much of the streetview imagery of Manhattan was taken at night, though it doesn't look too bad.
Unfortunately I can't recall any specific locations right now.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

Alex

More weirdness on this stretch of U.S. 43 near Chickasaw Creek.

Hellfighter

Quote from: AARoads on December 16, 2009, 02:21:10 AM
More weirdness on this stretch of U.S. 43 near Chickasaw Creek.

Looks like something was obstructing the camera. There's evidence of this in various places.

UptownRoadGeek

Mapquest now has there own version. 360 View  :ded:

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: Annunciation70130 on December 22, 2009, 02:03:29 AM
Mapquest now has there own version. 360 View  :ded:

And its images appear to be even older than Google Street View's. Google Street View at least has the I-295 flyover ramp completed; on Mapquest, they've barely started the project.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

vdeane

Plus MaqQuest's 360 view is available in very limited areas (at least in NY) and seems to be a LOT slower than Google.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Mr. Matté

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: Mr. Matté on December 23, 2009, 05:03:27 PM
Going from going past a Road Closed sign to going past a No Motor Vehicles sign on a rail trail:
http://maps.google.com/maps/mm?ie=UTF8&hl=en&ll=30.316349,-81.950594&spn=0,359.986063&t=h&z=17&layer=c&cbll=30.31547,-81.949734&panoid=d5mCwp73x0-cHdTrdu8QKA&cbp=12,57.54,,0,-0.61

That's interesting. That road has a lot of warning and regulatory signs for a road that's closed to motor vehicles...
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

DAL764

Quote from: SyntheticDreamer on December 23, 2009, 07:18:23 PM
Quote from: Mr. Matté on December 23, 2009, 05:03:27 PM
Going from going past a Road Closed sign to going past a No Motor Vehicles sign on a rail trail:
http://maps.google.com/maps/mm?ie=UTF8&hl=en&ll=30.316349,-81.950594&spn=0,359.986063&t=h&z=17&layer=c&cbll=30.31547,-81.949734&panoid=d5mCwp73x0-cHdTrdu8QKA&cbp=12,57.54,,0,-0.61

That's interesting. That road has a lot of warning and regulatory signs for a road that's closed to motor vehicles...
Not sure whether it's the case for this road, but in recent months Google has sent out an armada of trikes to cover trails, bike paths and the like.

algorerhythms

Google has since censored this set of images, but nonetheless:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/01/30/who_killed_bambi/

vdeane

Wow, that's not that far from where I live! :-o
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

PAHighways

yanksfan6129

I don't like those people; their last name (Boring) really suits them. Ya know what, I'm going to go drive by their house. I bet they'll sue me for looking at their house.

Bickendan

'Grammatically' correct, at least. And 'throughway' sits better for me than 'thruway' (quiet, Firefox spellcheck!), but as it's officially known as the 'Thruway', that makes 'throughway' wrong in this case.

Donuts.

Mr. Matté

Looks like the Google Street View car (or more likely trike, but the former sounds more interesting...) plowed through Hersheypark.

WNYroadgeek

Chris

Michael

The rail trail mentioned earlier is cool.  It even has it's own grade crossing signs and gates!

Google is now adding Street View imagery of famous attractions, and even ski slopes!  Check out the Street View gallery here

mightyace

@Chris

Those people must have known the Street View vehicle was coming to plan a stunt like that.  :sombrero:
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

burgess87

I've just seen that the Google cars have documented Alaska's Dalton Highway, also better known as the "Ice Road" for those of you who watch the History Channel.

deathtopumpkins

And much of northwestern Canada along with it. All HD, of course.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

wandering drive

Wow.  I remember as a young map reader being frustrated that the Rand McNally maps never showed the roads in northern Canada like they did in the south, and now I can take a virtual trip up any major highway up there or in Alaska.  This is beyond what I ever expected from Street View.  I'd give my right arm to be the one doing the driving.

Bickendan

You also need to give your right leg. But agreed -- I very much want to drive the ice roads.

deathtopumpkins

I actually inquired about driving for them once--apparently they contract out to various local firms, and don't actually hire people as dedicated streetview drivers. Would be the roadgeek dream job.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.