News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Roads that you have been on before disaster

Started by Roadgeekteen, April 18, 2024, 12:06:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big John

Dough4872

Not really a major disaster, but I was on the I-495 bridge over Christina River in Wilmington, DE the day before it was closed due to tilting support columns in 2014. In addition, I've been on the section of I-95 in Philly that collapsed in 2023 numerous times.

CNGL-Leudimin

I went over the Morandi Bridge in Genoa, Italy in 2010.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

cwf1701

2 i can think of:

1) the 9 Mile Road bridge over I-75 in Oakland County before the tanker truck fire in 2009.
2) The Key Bridge back in 1982, when the approaches was only 2 lane to the bridge

cockroachking

Besides the common answers of Key Bridge and I-95 North Philly incidents, the only other ones I can think of are NY-218 and the NY-28N bridge over Fishing Brook before they washed out over this past summer.

dlsterner

Quote from: dlsterner on April 19, 2024, 01:38:29 AM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on April 18, 2024, 12:06:03 PMWhat roads/bridges have you been on that no longer exist due to a disaster/collapse? For me, the only one I can think of is I-95 in Philly before the collapse. I've never been on the Francis Scott Key Bridge, but I'm sure many have.

Been over the Francis Scott Key bridge many a time.  I liked it as an alternative between my house in central Maryland and heading NW of Baltimore on I-95, especially at times when the tunnels might have heavy traffic.  (this was in the days before you could see traffic on Google Maps).

Also have crossed the I-95 bridge in Philadelphia once, about six months before its collapse.  Forgot about that one.

I did remember another bridge, although far less known than the others.  The bridge over the Conestoga River south of Lancaster, PA carrying southbound US 222/PA 272.  As a kid, had been over that bridge many a time before it was washed away by Hurricane Agnes in 1972 and replaced with a plain concrete bridge.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.