News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Largest One Week Temperature Variations You’ve Experienced

Started by Max Rockatansky, May 07, 2020, 12:37:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SEWIGuy

I went from mid 80s in Costa Rica to below zeroo on my drive home from the airport in about a 12 hour period.

In one location, I once mowed my lawn on a Thursday in November in the low 70s, with multiple inches of snow on the ground by Saturday.

jp the roadgeek

Had to be the day I went to Hawaii.  Was about 28 degrees that morning when I walked into the terminal at BDL.  Got to HNL and it was 80.  Also seem to recall one November (1993) when we were preparing for my high school football team's championship game that it was near 80 degrees one day when we were practicing.  During warmup the day of the game, it started snowing.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

kphoger

Quote from: SEWIGuy on May 10, 2020, 11:50:11 AM
I went from mid 80s in Costa Rica to below zeroo on my drive home from the airport in about a 12 hour period.

In one location, I once mowed my lawn on a Thursday in November in the low 70s, with multiple inches of snow on the ground by Saturday.

I remember the Christmas Day back in the late 1990s that my dad and I went up to the local high school in Atwood (KS) to play a competitive Frisbee game we had developed.  There were at least six inches of snow on the ground, but we were playing in tee shirts under a cloudless sky.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

ET21

Within a one week period of late Jan-early Feb 2019, I went from -29 to 51 degrees. A difference of almost 80 degrees
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

Takumi

About a decade ago we had a March snowstorm here, and a few days later it was in the 80s. Some snow was still on the ground in shady areas and piles, which was a wild sight.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

hobsini2

As a storm chaser, I have experienced many extremes in temperature. Back in 2006 I want to say, we had a lovely 65 degrees in San Antonio in early May. The next day, we were in Lubbock with 44 as a high and snow on the ground. 3 days later in Amarillo it was 90.  So in 3 days we moved about 46 degrees in temp.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

CoreySamson

I think last month's coldpocalypse set my record. On February 16, the low was 15 degrees, and the following week the high was 76. A difference of 61 degrees.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

JayhawkCO

Just remembered what is likely my highest 12 hour variation without flying.  I left Breckenridge, CO at 5:30 AM when it was -3°.  The high in Denver that same day was 67°. 

jmacswimmer

Flying: Shortly after New Year's 2015, from SJU (80's) to MHT (0) with a layover in PHL.
Same location: Worcester MA sophomore year of college in 2016, went from 50's one weekend to 0 the next (with -30 wind chill - my roommates & I boiled a pot of water, tossed it into the backyard, and watched it instantly freeze  :biggrin:)
Honorable mention: Ascending Pikes Peak on the Cog Railway in May 2016 - 60's at the base in Manitou Springs, 20's at the summit (threw on sweatpants over my shorts during the ride up :D)
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

ozarkman417

Quote from: ozarkman417 on May 08, 2020, 12:46:32 AM
In December 2017, I flew from 90 degree or so NE Florida to 20 degree SW Missouri.
I believe this past winter's polar vortex has broken this record. The difference being -15 or -20 and 65 or 70 a few days later.

JayhawkCO

Not quite a maximum, but when I got to work today at 3:30, it was 75°.  When I left work at 11:00, it was 33° and snowing.

zachary_amaryllis

last year, around labor day, it went from being nearly 100, to mid-20s and snow within like a day.
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

GaryV

Quote from: jayhawkco on March 29, 2021, 04:31:38 PM
Just remembered what is likely my highest 12 hour variation without flying.  I left Breckenridge, CO at 5:30 AM when it was -3°.  The high in Denver that same day was 67°. 

Chris

How about less than one hour variation?

Mother's Day weekend in the early 2000's, we were traveling to pick up my son from Michigan Tech.   Going across the Seney Stretch the temp was in the low 70's - with sun load, it was enough to turn on the A/C.  Then we went down the hill into Munising and the temp dropped to 46 degrees.  The bay was still ice-covered.  As we went along Lake Superior toward Marquette, the temp bopped up and down by 10-15 degrees depending on how far the road was above the Lake.

kphoger

Quote from: GaryV on March 30, 2021, 08:39:14 AM
How about less than one hour variation?

Mother's Day weekend in the early 2000's, we were traveling to pick up my son from Michigan Tech.   Going across the Seney Stretch the temp was in the low 70's - with sun load, it was enough to turn on the A/C.  Then we went down the hill into Munising and the temp dropped to 46 degrees.  The bay was still ice-covered.  As we went along Lake Superior toward Marquette, the temp bopped up and down by 10-15 degrees depending on how far the road was above the Lake.

Not quite an hour for me, but I remember driving up from Mexico in March 2010.  When we stopped for gas in northern Oklahoma City, it was 85 degrees and sunny.  When we got to Wichita a little over two hours later, it was 35 degrees with a cold north wind and drizzle.  After unloading the car, when we went out for dinner in Park City, it was sleeting.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

andrepoiy

Last week (or 2 weeks ago, I forgot) the Toronto area had 30 degrees Celsius, and then by the end of that week it was down to the single digits.

Bruce

Last week I set a new personal best:

Wednesday in Yakima - afternoon high of 102 F
Sunday at home - high of 55 F / low of 44 F

hobsini2

How about same day? I left Acapulco in Jan of 1995 with 86 degrees and sunny to come home to 14 and snow.  I had to tell my dad to make sure he brought my winter coat.  The day I left for that trip from Madison (trip started there day after Christmas 94), it was a balmy 40.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

Max Rockatansky

Had a high of 109F yesterday and a low of 54F a week ago. 

texaskdog

When I left Yellowstone May 2006 it was snowing.  The next day it was 90.

US 89

I've had bigger ranges that involved traveling, but as far as staying in one place goes, we had a pretty big shift last week in Salt Lake. On June 11, the early-morning low at the airport was 46F. Four days later we tied our all-time record high of 107.

Road Hog

Think I got you all beat. Dallas went from -2ºF on Feb. 16 to 81ºF on Feb. 23 this year.

https://www.weather.gov/fwd/displayprod?dfwfeb21

Scott5114

Quote from: Road Hog on September 19, 2021, 10:57:07 PM
Think I got you all beat. Dallas went from -2ºF on Feb. 16 to 81ºF on Feb. 23 this year.

https://www.weather.gov/fwd/displayprod?dfwfeb21

We had a similar warmup in Norman at the same time (although we started in the negative teens if I remember correctly).
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

gonealookin

Some of the higher altitude valleys in the Eastern Sierra have "long thermometer" days, particularly in this late September-mid October part of the year.  Bridgeport, CA (NWS forecast here), on US 395 northeast of Yosemite, has a forecast low of 19 tonight and 23 tomorrow night, with highs of 72 tomorrow and 81 on Tuesday.  Truckee, CA on I-80 can be like that as well.

In dry conditions those valleys get some extreme radiational cooling while higher up there's an inversion effect.  I see that in the winter too.  I'll drive NV 207 from Lake Tahoe over to Minden and Gardnerville in Carson Valley.  Daggett Pass on NV 207, at 7300 feet, will often be above freezing, say 35°F, in the morning.  It's less than 8 miles from there down to the valley floor at 4700 feet and you can watch your car's thermometer go click, click, click until it's maybe 15°F at the bottom of the hill.

achilles765

Quote from: CoreySamson on March 29, 2021, 04:25:10 PM
I think last month's coldpocalypse set my record. On February 16, the low was 15 degrees, and the following week the high was 76. A difference of 61 degrees.

I think that may be the most extreme for me too...or it might have been when we drove back from Boston to New Orleans one January...from 0 to 77.  but we did stop and spend the night in dc
I love freeways and roads in any state but Texas will always be first in my heart

skluth

I was in the USN in 1985. I was stationed on Diego Garcia where it was about 90°F every day. (I was an AG2. I sent up the weather balloons.) I took a vacation midway through my deployment in late February when I returned to Wisconsin. I got to La Crosse to visit my brother midafternoon. It snowed 8" that night as a cold front passed through. The next day's high was about 0°F. The following night it was about -15°F or so. That's >100°F difference in <96 hours.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.