Regional Boards > Central States

Proposed US 412 Upgrade

<< < (173/220) > >>

Scott5114:
It's sort of dumb that Oklahoma is asking for a number that's already used, but we already knew Oklahoma was going to do something sort of dumb because it's Oklahoma. Anyway, the numbers 46 and 48 are both sort of aesthetically displeasing to me, so I don't actually care that NC already thinks it has it.

Actually, it's NC's I-42 that sucks because at least ours is supposed to cross state lines.

Bobby5280:

--- Quote from: MikieTimT ---The growth patterns according to the census data show that every county to the east of I-49 is on a growth trajectory until you get to the bootheel, whereas west of I-35, it isn't.
--- End quote ---

A county-based map doesn't properly show what's really happening with the nation's demographics and geography. And a 2020-21 sample is a mere blip on a time line.

Most small towns and rural areas in the US are losing population via out-migration and more deaths than births. A county-based map doesn't reflect that very well. Younger adults are leaving in droves, which steadily erodes the tax base in those places. Even elderly people who might prefer small town living get forced into moving to more populous areas for social services and health care access. And then the densely populated areas have their own problems, with the main one being ridiculously high living costs. This catch-22 situation sure isn't going to bode well for highway funding in future decades.

The NW Arkansas cluster of cities is growing. The OKC and Tulsa metros are among the few areas in Oklahoma gaining population. But none of those three metros are getting big on the scale of attracting their own NFL teams. Oklahoma City only has major Interstate routes like I-35 and I-40 running through it because OKC was geographically in the right place for it to happen.

--- Quote from: kphoger ---I mean, 42 is the answer to life, the universe, and everything...
--- End quote ---

Don't panic.

--- Quote from: Scott5114 ---Actually, it's NC's I-42 that sucks because at least ours is supposed to cross state lines.
--- End quote ---

NC's version is only around 130 miles long. That's almost short enough to justify a 3-digit Interstate route number (especially with the route being intra-state).

rte66man:
 :pan:
--- Quote from: kphoger on September 13, 2023, 10:55:20 AM ---
--- Quote from: MikieTimT on September 13, 2023, 10:30:13 AM ---

--- Quote from: kphoger on September 13, 2023, 10:19:14 AM ---

--- Quote from: MikieTimT on September 13, 2023, 10:08:13 AM ---There's 2 sides to the numbering debate in my opinion:

[...]

2). ... part of having an Interstate designation is marketing your area for industrial and commercial growth, so the number might have an impact from a marketing perspective.

--- End quote ---

What does this mean?

--- End quote ---

Some numbers look better than others in economic development marketing materials when trying to attract business.

--- End quote ---

I mean, 42 is the answer to life, the universe, and everything...

--- End quote ---

edwaleni:
AASHTO has redesigned their website, good luck in finding board or committee meeting minutes now. They seemed to have either disappeared or are behind a login. So much for transparency.

I can't find any meeting notes that approved I-42 for this route, however, the head of ArDOT Highway Planning (Vines) is currently a voting member on the executive committee.

mvak36:

--- Quote from: edwaleni on September 14, 2023, 08:29:43 AM ---AASHTO has redesigned their website, good luck in finding board or committee meeting minutes now. They seemed to have either disappeared or are behind a login. So much for transparency.

I can't find any meeting notes that approved I-42 for this route, however, the head of ArDOT Highway Planning (Vines) is currently a voting member on the executive committee.

--- End quote ---

I did ask them if they're going to start posting that stuff on their new site again. They said they'd look into it. Idk what will happen, but I guess I will keep bugging them after every meeting to get the minutes.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version