Regional Boards > Mid-South

Dallas North Tollway Widening and Extension, SH 121 northward

<< < (7/11) > >>

Bobby5280:
I don't think there is any practical way for the Dallas North Tollway between I-35E and I-635 to be brought up to Interstate standards and/or add any additional lanes. There just isn't any room. The existing 6-lane roadway is crammed in there about as tight as it can get.

The only way that toll road segment could be expanded to have proper inboard and outboard shoulders as well as any additional lanes is by putting the whole thing into a pair of deep bore tunnels. Of course that probably cost tens of billions of dollars. And for what gain? The DNT is pretty important going North of LBJ Freeway thru Addison and Frisco. But going South of LBJ Freeway I think I-35E and North Central Expressway do far more to move traffic in/out of downtown.

Road Hog:
Look on either side of the DNT between downtown and LBJ and you will see the backyards of some very wealthy and influential people. Good luck getting eminent domain on those properties. It'll be tied up in court for decades.

Plutonic Panda:

--- Quote from: Bobby5280 on June 07, 2023, 02:42:02 PM ---I don't think there is any practical way for the Dallas North Tollway between I-35E and I-635 to be brought up to Interstate standards and/or add any additional lanes. There just isn't any room. The existing 6-lane roadway is crammed in there about as tight as it can get.

The only way that toll road segment could be expanded to have proper inboard and outboard shoulders as well as any additional lanes is by putting the whole thing into a pair of deep bore tunnels. Of course that probably cost tens of billions of dollars. And for what gain? The DNT is pretty important going North of LBJ Freeway thru Addison and Frisco. But going South of LBJ Freeway I think I-35E and North Central Expressway do far more to move traffic in/out of downtown.

--- End quote ---
They could remove the two center lanes and dig out a lower level that could have 3-4 lanes each way and keep the top two lanes each way for local traffic. Could be an idea local residents could get behind as it might lessen road noise. Expensive requirements for exhaust mitigation wouldn’t be needed as it would be open air kind of how some parts of the LBJ express lanes are. It’d still be an incredible expensive endeavor and I’d rather them implement variable tolling based on congestion levels and add a lower level to the central expressway before they would consider that here.

While we’re on the topic of fairy tales throw in a five stack at the LBJ for good measure.

Seriously though I doubt much is done. At the most maybe they would consider variable tolls during rush hour to keep traffic moving but that could result in an increase of local traffic.

Bobby5280:
I can't even remember for sure when the last time it was that I drove on that segment of the DNT. It probably has to be around 10 years. I've driven on other super highways going in/out of downtown Dallas a lot more than that.

ZLoth:

--- Quote from: Road Hog on June 07, 2023, 07:19:16 PM ---Look on either side of the DNT between downtown and LBJ and you will see the backyards of some very wealthy and influential people. Good luck getting eminent domain on those properties. It'll be tied up in court for decades.
--- End quote ---

The University Park/Highland Park area, almost without exception, have homes that are worth at least $1 million. Having said that, these homes are nicely decorated during the holidays, and you can take a horse carriage ride during the holidays to see the lights.

--- Quote from: Bobby5280 on June 07, 2023, 11:21:04 PM ---I can't even remember for sure when the last time it was that I drove on that segment of the DNT. It probably has to be around 10 years. I've driven on other super highways going in/out of downtown Dallas a lot more than that.
--- End quote ---

It's usually either to get to Dallas Love Field or US-75 was unbelievably clogged up that DNT was the recommended alternative to get downtown.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version