News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Wallethub

Started by Max Rockatansky, May 27, 2022, 12:06:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flint1979

I have a few favorite states, Texas and Tennessee are two that aren't Michigan that I like.

hotdogPi

Quote from: Flint1979 on February 03, 2023, 06:46:36 AM
Elevation of a high point does too tell you how flat a state is. If a state's high point is 1,500 feet with most almost all of the state being at 1,499 feet expect for the high point then that state would indeed be flat.

Kansas is flat but not level. There's over a 3,000 foot difference between its eastern edge and its western edge, but it's a steady incline.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

Scott5114

Quote from: SectorZ on February 03, 2023, 06:07:25 AM
Quote from: Scott5114 on February 02, 2023, 10:07:28 PM
I mean, I have a favorite state too, but I don't think I'd ever talk it up as much as Crash does Illinois.

What state? We all know it sure as hell isn't Oklahoma based on how you speak of it.

I visited Nevada this past October and am quite fond of it now, enough that my wife and I are considering moving there.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Max Rockatansky

Arizona probably is still my favorite state.  I would love to live there again, just not in Phoenix. 

hotdogPi

I live in Massachusetts, and I think it's the best state, although nearby states aren't far behind. We're #1 in healthcare and education, #1 or very close to it in quality of life, and we don't really have any problems other than the occasional blizzard. (We're getting down to -8°F tonight; this is even rarer than blizzards.) In addition, we had a $5 billion surplus last year. Minimum wage is $15 per hour, and unions are still a thing. People are very accepting of LGBT people and other conditions such as autism; even some of the Christian churches have rainbow flags. As I was waiting for a bus and talking to someone, one person outright told me she was trans, which I don't think she would have done in many of the states in this country. While Boston drivers are known for being aggressive, the crash rate is low compared to other states, which means something's being done right here.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

Crash_It

Quote from: Crash_It on February 02, 2023, 09:02:58 PM
Quote from: Flint1979 on February 02, 2023, 04:23:31 PM
Illinois has the lowest state highpoint in the Midwestern region of the United States and Charles Mound where the highest point in Illinois is located is about 1/4 of a mile from the Wisconsin state line so it's almost not even in Illinois. It ranks 45th in the country for state high points. It's 45th as well in difference between the highest and lowest point in the state. Btw, Michigan is hilly in areas, flat in others and I think it's one of the flatter states but Illinois is flatter than Michigan.

Michigan goes from 1,979 feet at Mount Arvon to 571 feet at Lake Erie.
Illinois goes from 1,235 feet at Charles Mound to 279 feet at Cairo in the southern most point in the state.

49/56 in terms of relief, beating out Indiana which is 50/56 and again also beating out those other states I listed

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._states_and_territories_by_elevation?wprov=sfla1

Elevation of a high point says nothing about how flat a state is.

A state's high point could be an elevation of 1500 ft with most almost all of the state being at 1499 ft except for the high point.
Who in the hell cares?

Elevation of a high point does too tell you how flat a state is. If a state's high point is 1,500 feet with most almost all of the state being at 1,499 feet expect for the high point then that state would indeed be flat.

It's really mind boggling how biased toward Illinois you are. You are perhaps the only member of this forum like that. You don't see me being a Michigan homer and I actually talk about other states that I have been to. Not my fault or anyone else's that your travels are limited.

Who said that my travels are limited? I certainly didn't say that, I just want to discover my home state a lot more before truly venturing out. But I've been to other states such as Indiana (even visited it's high point), Iowa, Minnesota, Michigan, Ohio (almost visited it's high point), Kentucky, Tennessee, Georgia , Wisconsin and Missouri. I know enough about each of those states to say that Illinois has the best food out of all of them.

Crash_It

Quote from: 1 on February 03, 2023, 09:56:37 AM
I live in Massachusetts, and I think it's the best state, although nearby states aren't far behind. We're #1 in healthcare and education, #1 or very close to it in quality of life, and we don't really have any problems other than the occasional blizzard. (We're getting down to -8°F tonight; this is even rarer than blizzards.) In addition, we had a $5 billion surplus last year. Minimum wage is $15 per hour, and unions are still a thing. . As I was waiting for a bus and talking to someone, one person outright told me she was trans, which I don't think she would have done in many of the states in this country.

As they should. Everyone who is trans should be open about it or have that flag around somewhere denoting it.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Crash_It on February 03, 2023, 12:41:00 PM
Illinois has the lowest state highpoint in the Midwestern region of the United States and Charles Mound where the highest point in Illinois is located is about 1/4 of a mile from the Wisconsin state line so it's almost not even in Illinois. It ranks 45th in the country for state high points. It's 45th as well in difference between the highest and lowest point in the state. Btw, Michigan is hilly in areas, flat in others and I think it's one of the flatter states but Illinois is flatter than Michigan.

Illinois goes from 1,235 feet at Charles Mound to 279 feet at Cairo in the southern most point in the state.

49/56 in terms of relief, beating out Indiana which is 50/56 and again also beating out those other states I listed

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._states_and_territories_by_elevation?wprov=sfla1

A state's high point could be an elevation of 1500 ft with most almost all of the state being at 1499 ft except for the high point.
Who in the hell cares?

It's really mind boggling how biased toward Illinois you are. You are perhaps the only member of this forum like that. You don't see me being a Michigan homer and I actually talk about other states that I have been to. Not my fault or anyone else's that your travels are limited.

Who said that my travels are limited? I certainly didn't say that, I just want to discover my home state a lot more before truly venturing out. But I've been to other states such as Indiana (even visited it's high point), Iowa, Minnesota, Michigan, Ohio (almost visited it's high point), Kentucky, Tennessee, Georgia , Wisconsin and Missouri. I know enough about each of those states to say that Illinois has the best food out of all of them.

A lot of us have been saying your travels are limited based on where you said you've been.  Considering you haven't even been to all the counties in Illinois how exactly are your opinions on ranking cuisine compared to other states truly representative? 

Hitting on the county clinching further, what qualifies you as an expert on Illinois considering you haven't visited them all?

SectorZ

Quote from: Crash_It on February 03, 2023, 12:43:33 PM
I live in Massachusetts, and I think it's the best state, although nearby states aren't far behind. We're #1 in healthcare and education, #1 or very close to it in quality of life, and we don't really have any problems other than the occasional blizzard. (We're getting down to -8°F tonight; this is even rarer than blizzards.) In addition, we had a $5 billion surplus last year. Minimum wage is $15 per hour, and unions are still a thing. . As I was waiting for a bus and talking to someone, one person outright told me she was trans, which I don't think she would have done in many of the states in this country.

As they should. Everyone who is trans should be open about it or have that flag around somewhere denoting it.

Making them have a flag sounds a bit 1930's Germany but I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you don't mean it in that way. How about just let them choose to live their life as they please?

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: SectorZ on February 03, 2023, 01:29:12 PM

Making them have a flag sounds a bit 1930's Germany but I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you don't mean it in that way. How about just let them choose to live their life as they please?

I find it hard to give Crash the "benefit of the doubt"  based off other things he's said that were and/or bordered hate speech. 

abefroman329

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 03, 2023, 01:42:50 PM

I find it hard to give Crash the "benefit of the doubt"  based off other things he's said that were and/or bordered hate speech.
If we're assuming the worst about Crash's intent, then he's living in the wrong state.

Crash_It

They already do have a flag. That's why I said that. I'm pretty sure you don't want to be hit on by one of them only to discover it when it's too late.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Crash_It on February 03, 2023, 02:36:50 PM

They already do have a flag. That's why I said that. I'm pretty sure you don't want to be hit on by one of them only to discover it when it's too late.

And this is why I didn't give the benefit of the doubt.  I find it odd that the guy who has admitted to hitting on a woman (from Wisconsin no less) young enough to be his daughter is worried about being hit on by someone who is trans. 

abefroman329

That's what I was afraid of.  You can take that shit to literally any state that borders Illinois; it'll be very welcome there.

Flint1979

Who in the hell cares?

You did. You have also stated that the furthest you have been to in Michigan is Niles so I'd like to ask you now how in the world would you know enough about Michigan to say that Illinois has better food? This is pretty ridiculous to be quite honest. Chicago has great food choices but the rest of the state is very average to below average. You couldn't even begin to comment on the food choices around the Detroit area because since you have only been as far as Niles that means you've never been to Detroit to know what you are talking about. Do you want me to say congratulations for making it 5 miles into Michigan before turning around?

SectorZ

I'm not too worried about being Funky Cold Medina'd to care about that problem. Been with the same woman for almost 25 years, I wouldn't know if someone was hitting on me if my life depending on it.

Thanks for making me regret giving you the benefit of the doubt.

GaryV

First rule of holes: "When you find yourself in one, quit digging."

Unless your purpose is to display to us your trans-phobic attitudes.

SectorZ

Quote from: GaryV on February 03, 2023, 03:52:19 PM

If he digs a good enough hole he can bless his state with some actual topography.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: SectorZ on February 03, 2023, 04:06:19 PM
Quote from: GaryV on February 03, 2023, 03:52:19 PM

If he digs a good enough hole he can bless his state with some actual topography.

Last update he gave he was pursuing a woman from Wisconsin.  I guess Wisconsin isn't all bad after all.

triplemultiplex

I know enough about each of those states to say that Illinois has the best food out of all of them.

I'll say!  You can buy tacos at Hardees in Illinois. :-D
Obviously Chicago makes the entire state punch above its weight.  And I do enjoy me some Portillos from time to time.  Glad they're expanding.
But outside of Chicagoland, Illinois is a continuation of the rest of the Corn Belt in terms of the foodie scene, in my frequent travels.  Yeah you got a few gems scattered around, but no more so than adjacent areas.
Compare it to, say, Texas, which has a reputation of having so many good BBQ joints that you can't swing a dead cat without hitting one.
Or Louisiana with its distinct Cajun take on everything. 

Of course, saying IL is better than any state it borders in terms of food; that's really not saying much.  The entire Midwest doesn't have particularly distinct food reputation.  Just something about deep frying, I guess.  Too many northern Europeans with bland palettes settled here. :P
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

Crash_It

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 03, 2023, 02:56:00 PM

And this is why I didn't give the benefit of the doubt.  I find it odd that the guy who has admitted to hitting on a woman (from Wisconsin no less) young enough to be his daughter is worried about being hit on by someone who is trans.

At least that's a woman, someone who is trans is not. Also the bible condemns trans, it does not condemn a man courting a woman so much younger than he is as long as it's not in violation of the ordinances set by authority (laws). If you don't find someone dating a trans offensive but then turn around and find a 40 year old with a 20 year old (not my situation since I'm not 40 but using this as an example) offensive then that's part of the problem. It's hypocrisy.

Crash_It

Quote from: SectorZ on February 03, 2023, 03:45:52 PM

I'm not too worried about being Funky Cold Medina'd to care about that problem. Been with the same woman for almost 25 years, I wouldn't know if someone was hitting on me if my life depending on it.

Thanks for making me regret giving you the benefit of the doubt.

If you actually had it happen to you you would feel the same. It was quite a traumatic experience for me.

abefroman329

Quote from: Crash_It on February 03, 2023, 05:34:28 PMIf you actually had it happen to you you would feel the same. It was quite a traumatic experience for me.
I'll take Things That Didn't Happen for $400, Alex.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Crash_It on February 03, 2023, 05:29:03 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 03, 2023, 02:56:00 PM

At least that's a woman, someone who is trans is not. Also the bible condemns trans, it does not condemn a man courting a woman so much younger than he is as long as it's not in violation of the ordinances set by authority (laws). If you don't find someone dating a trans offensive but then turn around and find a 40 year old with a 20 year old (not my situation since I'm not 40 but using this as an example) offensive then that's part of the problem. It's hypocrisy.

Did you not graduate high school during 2003?  Funny thing about creepers, they find ways to justify the things they do.  If you don't like being called out for the questionable behavior you engage in then maybe don't put it out there that you dislike certain groups of people.  Interesting you speak of the bible and hypocrisy when all evidence presented points to you having a considerable large amount of hatred. 

Crash_It

Quote from: Flint1979 on February 03, 2023, 03:08:30 PM

Who in the hell cares?

You did. You have also stated that the furthest you have been to in Michigan is Niles so I'd like to ask you now how in the world would you know enough about Michigan to say that Illinois has better food? This is pretty ridiculous to be quite honest. Chicago has great food choices but the rest of the state is very average to below average. You couldn't even begin to comment on the food choices around the Detroit area because since you have only been as far as Niles that means you've never been to Detroit to know what you are talking about. Do you want me to say congratulations for making it 5 miles into Michigan before turning around?

This site has Michigan at #17 and Illinois at #5

https://www.farandwide.com/s/us-states-ranked-food-2f86e72cb89c4904

Pizza Transit in Niles was pretty good I'll admit that, there's probably tons of options around Detroit, Lansing etc as well.

In Illinois you can pretty much find good food throughout. In fact, one of the only times I found bad food in Illinois was in a restaurant that was just getting started. Haven't been back there since.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/ZNfSYKervDG1z5dd7

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.