News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Fictional Municipality/County Changes

Started by NWI_Irish96, October 05, 2022, 03:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DandyDan

I'm frankly surprised St. Louis County in Minnesota is allowed to be as big as it is. Basically, the Iron Range cities and everything north of there should be one county separate from Duluth and the southern quarter of the county.

As for another state I used to live in, I remember an article in the Omaha World Herald which suggested Nebraska should be reduced from 93 to 28 counties. I have been unable to find it anywhere, but I don't see why Nebraska needs 93 counties.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

Poiponen13

I think that all buggest cities should be independent from their counties.

Bruce

Quote from: Poiponen13 on October 11, 2022, 05:10:04 AM

Are you with the pest control lobby?

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: Bruce on October 11, 2022, 05:29:59 AM

He has a point, the people out in the county would probably like to be separate from a city with a lot of bugs.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

froggie

Quote from: DandyDan on October 11, 2022, 04:38:41 AM
I'm frankly surprised St. Louis County in Minnesota is allowed to be as big as it is.

Used to be smaller.  Shortly after statehood, what is now northern St. Louis County was part of a much larger Itasca County.

Poiponen13

Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on October 11, 2022, 07:35:24 AM
Quote from: Bruce on October 11, 2022, 05:29:59 AM

He has a point, the people out in the county would probably like to be separate from a city with a lot of bugs.
I meant "biggest".

Bruce

In that case, probably a bad idea. Suburbs do have a stake in some city affairs and without true regional governments like those in other countries, it's best to just leave it to counties. Patchwork cities have a hard time coordinating with each other, but as a county with a large city helping manage things they're able to pool resources more effectively.

Things like large parks and reserves, libraries, public transit, and utilities are better when provided collectively.

Roadgeekteen

Give Brookline to Middlesex counties and give Cohasset to Plymouth County to make the maps look less terrible. Also split up Maricopa County, it's too big.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: froggie on October 11, 2022, 09:09:37 AM
Quote from: DandyDan on October 11, 2022, 04:38:41 AM
I'm frankly surprised St. Louis County in Minnesota is allowed to be as big as it is.

Used to be smaller.  Shortly after statehood, what is now northern St. Louis County was part of a much larger Itasca County.

As the Range and Duluth have increasingly diverted politically and economically there have been various proposals over the years to consider splitting the county into north/south portions, but the Duluth-based officials holding the majority of the county government have blocked this idea. The Range does host an array of redundant county facilities as it is.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

bandit957

About 20 years ago, someone on m.t.r had a website that proposed numerous county changes. Some of them were similar to the ideas in this thread. I think even the Kossuth County split in Iowa was included.

I'm in a county that isn't that big in area, but I've always felt that the county is such a big political mess that we might want to look at splitting it. Maybe we can call the newly formed county Shambip County, because its bipping is a sham.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

Scott5114

Kossuth County has actually been split before. The county line was exactly where you'd expect it to be. The county to the north of Kossuth was called Bancroft County, and only existed for six years before being merged into Kossuth. Apparently Bancroft County is full of wetlands unsuitable for farming, so it never attracted enough farmers to make it a viable county, and was folded into Kossuth. They tried it again later, this time under the name Crocker County, but this time it ran afoul of some Iowa law that mandated the minimum area of a county. As a result, after a year, it was merged again, this time for good.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Poiponen13

Some too small cities should be consolidated with county, such as Miami, which would then comprise entire Miami-Dade County.

Poiponen13

Many cities should merge with their counties and sometimes also with neighboring counties, creating cities reaching 60 miles (~100 km) out of downtown. Such as Fargo, ND, which would comprise entire Cass County and include many rural areas. Cities should also enclose other cities, towns and villages.

US 89

Quote from: Poiponen13 on October 21, 2022, 09:48:43 AM
Many cities should merge with their counties and sometimes also with neighboring counties, creating cities reaching 60 miles (~100 km) out of downtown. Such as Fargo, ND, which would comprise entire Cass County and include many rural areas. Cities should also enclose other cities, towns and villages.

Cass County has a crapload of little cities and towns outside of Fargo and a lot of nothing between them and Fargo. I can't see Grandin or Leonard being too happy about that.

I don't think you quite understand the logistical nightmares that a lot of your "grand plans" would likely result in.

bing101

I have some crazy ideas for California

1. Make Los Angeles be a city/county consolidation,2. Make Sacramento County, CA a city county consolidation.3. Make Vallejo and Benicia be part of Napa County
4. Make Dixon, Vacaville be part of Yolo County and Rio Vista part of Sacramento county.
Yes all are Troll statements. No way they are going to happen in real life.

Scott5114

Quote from: bing101 on October 21, 2022, 05:39:13 PM

[...]

And you didn't go with a San Bernardino city/county consolidation? You miss 100% of the shots you do not take.

mgk920

a NYC-Nassau County merger?  Ditto a NYC-Westchester County merger?

:wow:

Mike

Ned Weasel

Quote from: KCRoadFan on October 05, 2022, 11:19:38 PM
Looking at my metro (KC area): how about the small inner-ring suburbs in northeast Johnson County (Westwood, Westwood Hills, Fairway, Mission Hills, Roeland Park) be absorbed into Mission?

Or, to take it a step further: all those aforementioned cities, along with Mission, Prairie Village, and Leawood, are absorbed into Overland Park. Merriam would be divided between Overland Park to the east of I-35 and Shawnee to the west - thus, JOCO is down to OP, Lenexa, Shawnee, and Olathe. I suppose Lenexa and Shawnee merge at some point as well, given their combined population is about 125K, compared to 139K for Olathe and 193K for Overland Park - although keep in mind those are based on figures for the current cities, and don't include all the territory that would be annexed. But I'm just trying to give you the picture.

JOCO also has Gardner, De Soto, Edgerton, and parts of Spring Hill, Bonner Springs, and Lake Quivira.  But anyway--

Not like this would realistically happen, but--

I'd take your Mega Overland Park idea one step further and have it absorb Kansas City, Kansas.  Cities cross county lines all the time as it is, so why not?  I wonder if a name change would be in order after the mega-merger, though.  Kansas Overland City?  Kansas City Park?  Springfield?  (There is no Springfield, Kansas.)  Mall Center?  Quindaro?

And then you might as well merge Wyandotte County with either Johnson or Leavenworth County.  Leavenworth County makes more sense geographically, and it would keep the counties' populations more balanced.  But Johnson County has more money, so there's that to consider.
"I was raised by a cup of coffee." - Strong Bad imitating Homsar

Disclaimer: Views I express are my own and don't reflect any employer or associated entity.

bing101

Quote from: Scott5114 on October 21, 2022, 09:31:52 PM
Quote from: bing101 on October 21, 2022, 05:39:13 PM

[...]

And you didn't go with a San Bernardino city/county consolidation? You miss 100% of the shots you do not take.
Good point I was also considering the San Jose City consolidation with Santa Clara County.

Poiponen13

Quote from: Ned Weasel on October 22, 2022, 05:39:23 PM
Looking at my metro (KC area): how about the small inner-ring suburbs in northeast Johnson County (Westwood, Westwood Hills, Fairway, Mission Hills, Roeland Park) be absorbed into Mission?

Or, to take it a step further: all those aforementioned cities, along with Mission, Prairie Village, and Leawood, are absorbed into Overland Park. Merriam would be divided between Overland Park to the east of I-35 and Shawnee to the west - thus, JOCO is down to OP, Lenexa, Shawnee, and Olathe. I suppose Lenexa and Shawnee merge at some point as well, given their combined population is about 125K, compared to 139K for Olathe and 193K for Overland Park - although keep in mind those are based on figures for the current cities, and don't include all the territory that would be annexed. But I'm just trying to give you the picture.

JOCO also has Gardner, De Soto, Edgerton, and parts of Spring Hill, Bonner Springs, and Lake Quivira.  But anyway--

I'd take your Mega Overland Park idea one step further and have it absorb Kansas City, Kansas.  Cities cross county lines all the time as it is, so why not?  I wonder if a name change would be in order after the mega-merger, though.  Kansas Overland City?  Kansas City Park?  Springfield?  (There is no Springfield, Kansas.)  Mall Center?  Quindaro?

And then you might as well merge Wyandotte County with either Johnson or Leavenworth County.  Leavenworth County makes more sense geographically, and it would keep the counties' populations more balanced.  But Johnson County has more money, so there's that to consider.
I have some city names for merged cities. These have never been used and these are cool:
Slackcarrot
Unsplash City
Wikipedia Hills
Mezenton
Hugging Charles

Poiponen13

Quote from: Road Hog on October 06, 2022, 11:52:50 PM
All the cities in Pulaski County, AR should merge into Little Rock to reflect the size and influence of what the Little Rock area actually is, but it will never happen because of politics.

For that matter, some of the cities in NWA should merge as well. As fast as the region's growing, I still think it's held back by the absence of a single dominant city. Fayetteville grew more than I expected in the last census but it's still largely landlocked by Springdale, Johnson, Farmington, Elkins, Greenland and the mountains to the south, although there seems to be a decent corridor to the west toward Wedington and Siloam Springs open.

Springdale has more room to expand and will most likely be the second-largest city in the state by the 2030 census, but it too will eventually be hemmed-in by other cities and Beaver Lake.
Pulaski County could then be changed into City and County of Little Rock.

bandit957

Quote from: Poiponen13 on October 23, 2022, 02:43:53 PM

I have some city names for merged cities. These have never been used and these are cool:
Slackcarrot
Unsplash City
Wikipedia Hills
Mezenton
Hugging Charles

I still think Shambip is better.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

roadman65

When I lived in Union County, NJ; I always thought Fanwood and Scotch Plains should merge.  Ditto with Linden and Winfield Park.

In Middlesex County, NJ both Metuchen and Edison should merge.

Woodbridge should be broken into Avenel/ Colonia/ Iselin and then Woodbridge, Sewaren, and Port Reading should be another part while Fords, Hopelawn, Keasbey, and the part of Raritan Center in Woodbridge another township.

In Florida Polk needs dividing where you have East Polk and West Polk with line between Auburndale and Winter Haven and continue southward and northward where Polk City would be in west as well as Lakeland, Bartow, Auburndale, And Polk City being West Polk while all other cities along US 27 and Winter Haven be East Polk.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Scott5114

Quote from: Poiponen13 on October 23, 2022, 02:43:53 PM
Slackcarrot
Unsplash City
Wikipedia Hills
Mezenton
Hugging Charles

I feel like New Mexico, or one of the other Western states that sign exits with no destinations, should use these on those exits.

Poiponen13

Then Wyandotte and Johnson Counties should merge to City and County of Kansas City-Overland Park.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.