Regional Boards > Mid-South

Most Texas bills targeting toll road payment problems failed this year

<< < (2/6) > >>

The Ghostbuster:
Would it be possible to combine the county toll authorities into regional toll authorities? Also, they should make the toll collection devices compatible statewide.

jeffandnicole:

--- Quote from: DNAguy on August 18, 2023, 04:17:52 PM ---I've tried to help friends with this.
Backstory:
Friend is older lady, fixed income. She lives in Houston, but keeps car registered at in Louisiana at relatives house to save $. Again, fixed income.
Friend's niece uses her car. Niece blows through all kinds of tolls. Doesn't tell her. And gets into drugs / shenanigans. Friend is reluctant to report car stolen due to implications for niece.
Finally reports car stolen. Goes back to LA with family to visit. Finds lets from a law firm showing she owes > $5K in tolls, penalties, and fines as she missed her 'court case' to fight this.

What I find out when I dig in.
1.) The lawfirm is really just a debt collector that uses civil court to get their $.
2.) Their fees / penalties are not bound by any law and are astronomical
3.) HCTRA when contacted (I spoke with their head) wasn't aware of the crazy penalties that get tacked on after they 'sell' their debt off.
4.) There is no real recourse for 'violators'

As the car was register in LA, they really had no recourse against the friend. I gave them a fair offer and told them I'd pay it. They insisted on the $5K. I laughed and never gave it any more mind.

That being said, folks in Texas can have registration denied. Which can spiral into tickets, which can then spiral into jail. It's a viscous cycle.

--- End quote ---

So:
Friend is illegally keeping car registered in another state.
Friend loans car to niece who also violates laws.

Seems like crime runs in the family.  Why should we feel bad for them?

ZLoth:

--- Quote from: The Ghostbuster on August 18, 2023, 10:55:57 PM ---Also, they should make the toll collection devices compatible statewide.
--- End quote ---

AFAIK, the Texas Toll Tags (TxTAG, NTTA, EZ-Tag) as well as the Kansas K-Tag and Oklahoma's Pike Pass are compatible with the toll systems across the state of Texas, Oklahoma Toll Systems, Kansas Toll Systems, and most of the toll roads in Florida. NTTA tags can also be used at DFW International and Dallas Love Field.

DNAguy:

--- Quote from: jeffandnicole on August 18, 2023, 11:16:18 PM ---
--- Quote from: DNAguy on August 18, 2023, 04:17:52 PM ---I've tried to help friends with this.
Backstory:
Friend is older lady, fixed income. She lives in Houston, but keeps car registered at in Louisiana at relatives house to save $. Again, fixed income.
Friend's niece uses her car. Niece blows through all kinds of tolls. Doesn't tell her. And gets into drugs / shenanigans. Friend is reluctant to report car stolen due to implications for niece.
Finally reports car stolen. Goes back to LA with family to visit. Finds lets from a law firm showing she owes > $5K in tolls, penalties, and fines as she missed her 'court case' to fight this.

What I find out when I dig in.
1.) The lawfirm is really just a debt collector that uses civil court to get their $.
2.) Their fees / penalties are not bound by any law and are astronomical
3.) HCTRA when contacted (I spoke with their head) wasn't aware of the crazy penalties that get tacked on after they 'sell' their debt off.
4.) There is no real recourse for 'violators'

As the car was register in LA, they really had no recourse against the friend. I gave them a fair offer and told them I'd pay it. They insisted on the $5K. I laughed and never gave it any more mind.

That being said, folks in Texas can have registration denied. Which can spiral into tickets, which can then spiral into jail. It's a viscous cycle.

--- End quote ---

So:
Friend is illegally keeping car registered in another state.
Friend loans car to niece who also violates laws.

Seems like crime runs in the family.  Why should we feel bad for them?

--- End quote ---

It's not illegal in the state of Texas to keep your car registered in another state.

And stealing a car is very much illegal.

So you can victim blame all you want, but you sound like an unserious person who great forums like this one become a beating.

Please find another place to troll. Facebook, Reddit, or Twitter are over there.

CtrlAltDel:

--- Quote from: DNAguy on August 19, 2023, 10:17:39 AM ---It's not illegal in the state of Texas to keep your car registered in another state.

--- End quote ---

I believe it is.

--- Quote from: Texas Transportation Code, Title 7, Subtitle A, Chapter 502, Subchapter B, Section 40 ---Not more than 30 days after purchasing a vehicle or becoming a resident of this state, the owner of a motor vehicle, trailer, or semitrailer shall apply for the registration of the vehicle for each registration year in which the vehicle is used or to be used on a public highway.
--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version