Regional Boards > Mid-Atlantic

District of Columbia

<< < (282/289) > >>

18 wheel warrior:

--- Quote from: zzcarp on June 14, 2023, 09:12:02 PM ---I agree they should actually resign the freeways as approved. That said, what on earth were these truck drivers thinking? I understand a car driver backing up, but for a professional driver with a CDL is just seems egregiously unprofessional. Were their trucks overheight for the tunnel? Or hazmat? Otherwise, why do that dangerous maneuver instead of just getting off and working their way back to the freeway?

--- End quote ---

I don't understand the re-routing/re-numbering thing at all. Maybe because I've been in DC so many times in my life, the re-routing/re-numbering would possibly confuse ME for a moment (the first time, anyway) if/when it were to happen. I think it's unnecessary and a waste of money.

I've known of the low clearance at the 3rd St Tunnel (I thought it was 12'6" though) for many years. On the rare occasion I do drive my rig through on the SW/SE Freeway I know better; I could have sworn there were low clearance warnings before Maine Ave. Just looked at the freeway on Google Street View; only saw a sign that lights up when an overheight trips it. As we know in Durham, that doesn't always get a driver's attention for some stupid reason. The only other warning is when one is already on the ramp! The good thing is that if a CDL were to exit there in error, there is still a bailout to the left onto C St SW instead of backing up like the driver in the video did. That driver not only wasn't paying attention, he panicked. 

Again, maybe it's because I've been in the District many times for someone who isn't local, unless the WTOP traffic reporter was referring to the lack of low height warnings, I disagree with the comment of the signage being poor. I love WTOP's "Traffic & Weather on the 8's"; I have my radio tuned to the network in from Fredericksburg north. 

The Ghostbuster:
I also think the Interstate renumbering within Washington D.C. is unnecessary. However, it was approved, and it will likely happen sooner or later. I wonder if the exits will also be renumbered.

1995hoo:
WTOP reports that the FHWA is getting on DC's case about why the city hasn't done anything to implement the I-395/I-695/I-195 renumbering.

The radio station's tweets regularly refer to the eastbound location there as DC's "confusing exit condition."

elsmere241:
It was confusing enough the one time I tried to drive through the District to get home to Delaware from NoVA.  I wound up on what turned out to be South Capitol Street in Anacostia - I wound up just staying on that all the way to the Beltway.

IMGoph:

--- Quote from: elsmere241 on September 20, 2023, 12:21:26 PM ---It was confusing enough the one time I tried to drive through the District to get home to Delaware from NoVA.  I wound up on what turned out to be South Capitol Street in Anacostia - I wound up just staying on that all the way to the Beltway.

--- End quote ---

South Capitol Street doesn't go through Anacostia.

(Note for people who are not from DC and are not familiar with our local geography - everything east of the Anacostia River is not "Anacostia," despite what some suburbanites might think or say.)

If you drive on South Capitol Street from the freeway just south of the Capitol Building, once you cross the river, you run along the eastern boundary of Joint Base Anacostia-Bolling, and once the road crosses under 295, you skirt the edge of the neighborhood of Congress Heights, drive through Bellevue, and then nick the corner of Washington Highlands as you leave the city and enter Maryland.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version