News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Snow...

Started by BigMattFromTexas, December 04, 2009, 11:07:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mightyace

Quote from: Hellfighter on December 11, 2009, 04:53:37 PM
No snow here, but it's brutal (freezing)!

Same here.  The low this morning was in the low to mid teens.  That's unseasonably cold for Middle TN in December.  (Though we do often get that low in January and February.)
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

BigMattFromTexas

And here now its 52 degrees... I hope it gets cooler.
BigMatt

jgb191

Still never seen snow in my life yet.....the snow missed me by more than 200 miles.
We're so far south that we're not even considered "The South"

Chris

Northern Montana:

QuoteWIND CHILLS OF LESS THAN TO 20 BELOW ZERO ARE EXPECTED TO DEVELOP BY THE LATE AFTERNOON HOURS BEFORE DROPPING AS LOW AS 50 BELOW OVERNIGHT.

Ian

UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

un1

Its too cold here to get much snow. It probably wont snow here anymore until January, its going to be so cold here.

Right now, we only have about 3 inches.
Moderator of the Canada and Off Topic boards.

Thunder Bay Expressway - Highway 61 and 11/17 Ontario - Thunder Bay, Ontario

PAHighways

Quote from: Chris on December 11, 2009, 11:33:43 AMInterstate 90 in Pennsylvania was closed, there is heavy lake effect snow in that area. Some areas around Erie may receive over 2 feet of snow.

Interstate 86 was also closed from 90 to Stow, NY.

Truvelo

Quote from: un1 on December 12, 2009, 07:48:54 PMRight now, we only have about 3 inches.

What do you mean ONLY 3 inches? We're lucky to get that much once each year. A light dusting is what we normally get.
Speed limits limit life

vdeane

On the other side of the Atlantic we typically get at least a foot by the end of December.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

PAHighways

Not snow, but ice this morning caused a lot of problems across Pennsylvania from Pittsburgh across the Alleghenies to the Mid-State then north to Allentown and the Poconos.

Even the Secretary of Transportation could not avoid being affected by the ice.

Brandon

Quote from: Truvelo on December 13, 2009, 12:10:13 PM
Quote from: un1 on December 12, 2009, 07:48:54 PMRight now, we only have about 3 inches.

What do you mean ONLY 3 inches? We're lucky to get that much once each year. A light dusting is what we normally get.

LOL!  In some areas of the US, usually in the norther tier of states around the Great Lakes, 3 inches is considered a snow flurry.  Where I went to college in Houghton, Michigan (Michigan Tech), we usually saw in the neighborhood of 200 inches of snow in a season.  My first winter up there saw over 300 inches of snow for the season.

Where I am near Chicago now, we see about 40 inches per year.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

SSOWorld

If I remember right, un1 lives upwind of the lake (northwest side - Thunder Bay, ON).  no effect by lake effect.

Wikithevia notes that TB gets 74 in per year.  (187.6 cm for you metric fans)
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Chris

There are many years in the Netherlands where we don't even accumulate 3 inches before it melts away again. Darn you maritime climate!

Dougtone

Quote from: PAHighways on December 13, 2009, 02:35:59 PM
Not snow, but ice this morning caused a lot of problems across Pennsylvania from Pittsburgh across the Alleghenies to the Mid-State then north to Allentown and the Poconos.

Even the Secretary of Transportation could not avoid being affected by the ice.

And I'll argue that the ice is worse to drive in than snow.  Ice is definitely something I try to avoid.

un1

Quote from: Master son on December 14, 2009, 12:35:45 AM
If I remember right, un1 lives upwind of the lake (northwest side - Thunder Bay, ON).  no effect by lake effect.

Yep, you're right, in my whole life we've only got lake effect snow once (no clue how though..)
However, by saying only, last year at this time we got 20 inches, somehow we didn't have permanent snow up here until after December 2nd, which was the date of last years huge snowstorm.

The only large snowstorms we get are Alberta Clippers, and Colorado Lows, which are common, but never large and so far this year we've only gotten one snowstorm, it wasn't that big.

The 74 inches you noted, we get most of it in January, February and March when it isn't as cold.
Moderator of the Canada and Off Topic boards.

Thunder Bay Expressway - Highway 61 and 11/17 Ontario - Thunder Bay, Ontario

Chris

Quote from: Chris on December 14, 2009, 04:19:44 AM
There are many years in the Netherlands where we don't even accumulate 3 inches before it melts away again. Darn you maritime climate!

I shouldn't have said that, 10 inches fell overnight and there's more to come.

We got the traffic jam from hell, there was over 2,000 miles of traffic congestion on our highways. (normally about 200 miles).

Truvelo

Quote from: Chris on December 17, 2009, 03:13:28 AM
We got the traffic jam from hell, there was over 2,000 miles of traffic congestion on our highways. (normally about 200 miles).

Gosh, if that happened here that would mean our entire motorway network being gridlocked.
Speed limits limit life

Chris

This was at 7 am.

Traffic jams: (just the top 15 or so, there were over 500 reports of traffic jams)  :-o

Scott5114

Wow, some people had been vertraging for 95 minutes! I'm guessing since the road is too congested to rage horizontally, you have to rage vertically, and satellites time it from high above and post it to that website.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

SSOWorld

Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Truvelo

Some parts of the UK had a few inches of snow last night.

Speed limits limit life

froggie

We're expecting anywhere from 6-12 inches tonight through Sunday morning.  A good way to muck up travel and shopping on the last weekend before Christmas...

Dougtone

It looks like we'll miss out on the nuts and bolts of this storm in Binghamton, but we may get a trace amount of snow.  It's ok though, since we get enough snow as it is in the course of an average winter.

74/171FAN

Quote from: froggie on December 18, 2009, 07:09:48 AM
We're expecting anywhere from 6-12 inches tonight through Sunday morning.  A good way to muck up travel and shopping on the last weekend before Christmas...
Down here in the Richmond area we're supposed to have at least 6 inches but some predictions go up to over 20 inches.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

mightyace

Quote from: dougtone on December 18, 2009, 07:11:39 AM
It looks like we'll miss out on the nuts and bolts of this storm in Binghamton, but we may get a trace amount of snow.  It's ok though, since we get enough snow as it is in the course of an average winter.

Up in Greater Nashville, the rain main turn into something frozen (freezing rain, sleet, etc.) overnight, but the road and the grounds are warm enough it shouldn't be too much inconvenience.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.