News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Snow...

Started by BigMattFromTexas, December 04, 2009, 11:07:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

froggie

QuoteThe main problem on that Autobahn were near-hurricane force gusting (11 beaufort). If you plow the road, another snow dune will follow so quick you can't plow against that, especially in a sparsely populated area like northeastern Germany that doesn't have as much snowplows as central and southern Germany.

It's for similar reasons why you commonly see the Plains and Rockies states shut down Interstates during snowstorms.  Often, it's not that the plows can't keep up with the falling snow....instead, they can't keep up with the blowing snow.  All it takes is about 25 MPH or so of sustained wind to keep the snowdunes piling up.

jgb191

We're not seeing snow in South Texas (thank god), but here is what we are experiencing this long national holiday weekend.

We're so far south that we're not even considered "The South"

Stojko

Still no significant amount of snow here... it's driving me insane.

hm insulators

Boy, northern Arizona got hammered with snow this week! Thursday night, ADOT had to close I-40 all the way between Kingman and Winslow, plus a good portion of I-17 between Phoenix and Flagstaff.
Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

Truvelo

Wow, I didn't realize Arizona got so cold. Last February it was well into the 70's on one of the days I was there when I took this picture.

I assume northern parts of AZ must be at higher elevations then?
Speed limits limit life

Chris

Flagstaff is at an elevation of 6,910 ft (2,106 m).

J N Winkler

Quote from: Truvelo on January 23, 2010, 06:51:37 PMWow, I didn't realize Arizona got so cold. Last February it was well into the 70's on one of the days I was there when I took this picture.

If you didn't go north of the Mogollon Rim, you would have been fairly unlikely to encounter cold.  But in general weather in the interior of the continental US is highly variable in the winter and you have to watch both wind direction and the progression of weather fronts.  In Kansas just in the last two months, we had a few days with temperatures above 60° F. and a few days with temperatures below 0° F.  Old Kansas saying--"If you don't like the weather now, wait 10 minutes."
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Scott5114

"Oklahoma has four seasons–frequently all in the same day."
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

mightyace

As I sit and write this, Tennessee is getting blanketed by snow at ice.  It looks like an inch or two at the moment and it's coming down steadily, albeit lightly.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

Bryant5493

Many North Georgia Mountain counties are going to be letting a lot of their kids out of school early today, because of the chance of wintry precipitation.

Be well,

Bryant
Check out my YouTube page (http://youtube.com/Bryant5493). I have numerous road videos of Metro Atlanta and other areas in the Southeast.

I just signed up on photobucket -- here's my page (http://s594.photobucket.com/albums/tt24/Bryant5493).

Scott5114

I've had to miss two nights of work due to the ice yesterday and snow today. Fortunately I've kept power the whole time.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

rawmustard

Quote from: Scott5114 on January 29, 2010, 11:44:38 PM
I've had to miss two nights of work due to the ice yesterday and snow today. Fortunately I've kept power the whole time.

No one absolutely has to miss work, unless the place of employment is closed or all the ways there become absolutely impassable. I don't think I've ever called in simply on account of weather.

mightyace

Quote from: rawmustard on January 29, 2010, 11:53:33 PM
No one absolutely has to miss work, unless the place of employment is closed or all the ways there become absolutely impassable. I don't think I've ever called in simply on account of weather.

True.

Though, since my company gave me the option and I work a 2-11 shift, I worked from home today.  But, this is as much to stay away from Middle Tennesseans who aren't used to driving in such whether as anything else.

bugo

Quote from: rawmustard on January 29, 2010, 11:53:33 PM

If you can't get out of your driveway, you can't go anywhere.

froggie

QuoteNo one absolutely has to miss work, unless the place of employment is closed or all the ways there become absolutely impassable. I don't think I've ever called in simply on account of weather.

You're also in an area where it snows more frequently...

Chris

Fortunately I've kept power the whole time.

It seems like the power lines are sensitive infrastructure in the United States. Power outages are quite uncommon in the Netherlands, if an area has no power for like 3 - 4 hours it's already nationwide news. Urban power utilities are always underground, only major power lines are above the ground between power plants and other facilities to distribute power. I can't even remember the last time we went off the grid for more than the blink of the eye.

I must add that we don't have as much natural disasters like in the U.S. Many people on this side of the pond forget that, we don't have ice storms, hurricanes, tornadoes and other extreme weather as much. Tornadoes over EF-1 are VERY rare in Europe.

froggie

QuoteUrban power utilities are always underground

Here's the crux of the matter.  The vast majority of power utilities are above ground in the US.  Very little of it is below ground.  Combine that with the weather you mentioned, and there's your answer.

74/171FAN

My area is getting snow right now and of course it happens after mid-terms and on the weekend.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

mightyace

Quote from: froggie on January 30, 2010, 09:16:06 AM
Here's the crux of the matter.  The vast majority of power utilities are above ground in the US.  Very little of it is below ground.  Combine that with the weather you mentioned, and there's your answer.

Part of it, as it often does, deals with the lower average population density of the US compared to Europe.  Also, here in TN, most rural power was built by and is still supplied by the TVA.  (which started in the FDR administration in the Great Depression)  The project gave electricity to most of the rural south but it was and is done on the cheap.

But, even in Nashville, power goes out a lot more than it did when I lived in Ohio, Pennsylvania or Maryland.  I never owned a UPS (battery backup) until a moved south.

Changing gears, the snow changed to freezing rain overnight and everything outside my house is coated with about a half-inch of ice.  Even us northern expatriates try not to go out in this!

agentsteel53

how fast do those southern states clear snow?  I have to be in Virginia on Tuesday morning, and was planning leaving Florida tomorrow morning and driving back roads (mainly state and county highways).  I'm a pretty good snow/ice driver but I'd still like to know what to expect.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

mightyace

Quote from: agentsteel53 on January 30, 2010, 06:16:39 PM
how fast do those southern states clear snow?  I have to be in Virginia on Tuesday morning, and was planning leaving Florida tomorrow morning and driving back roads (mainly state and county highways).  I'm a pretty good snow/ice driver but I'd still like to know what to expect.

I can only really speak for TN, but my experience here is that Interstates and other major through routes tend to get the most work.  So, just be prepared to switch to the main roads, if necessary.  You won't clinch as many highways that way, but you will get there.

Also, the fact that the weather should be sunny and in the high 30s tomorrow and upper 40s Monday will clear up a lot.

74/171FAN

Quote from: agentsteel53 on January 30, 2010, 06:16:39 PM
VDOT says that all of the roads will be clear 48 hours after the snow stops but knowing VDOT I wouldn't bet on it.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

froggie

VDOT typically gets the Interstates and principal arterials clear within a day or two.  The secondaries take a bit longer.  For Tuesday morning, my suggestion would be to stick to the primary routes within Virginia and avoid the secondaries.

mightyace

We got some melting here today.

I went out early this evening and the primaries are clear.  The secondaries and local roads range from mostly clear to mostly snow covered.  The high for tomorrow is supposed to be around 50, so things should get better.

bugo

We got about a half inch of ice on Thursday and about 6 inches of snow on Friday.  It hasn't gotten above freezing since so it's still a mess, although the main roads are mostly clear.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.