News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

US-41 Interstate Conversion

Started by ssummers72, February 10, 2009, 09:43:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

merrycilantro

Sweet!!! Nice Picture!

That white 41 looks pretty sharp on that blue background!!!

davenh

Quote from: agentsteel53 on July 03, 2014, 11:22:05 AM
any state-named shields pop up by accident?

None on any of the signs I have seen so far, which now include (all in the Milwaukee area):

• WI-59/Greenfield Ave at I-894
  • North Ave WB approaching US-45
  • US-18/Bluemound Rd at US-45 (pictures posted earlier in thread)
  • The alt signs on I-43 NB

DaBigE

Quote from: merrycilantro on July 03, 2014, 10:27:50 AM
That makes sense as to why they recently put those gates up at the Freeway entrances in Fond du Lac. US 151 got them as well as Johnson St (Wis 23)...I can't recall offhand if the other 2 exits in town got them or not but i know the first 2 did. Never understood why, but that makes sense.

According to GSV, yes, they did. With US 41 turning into an Interstate, I'd be very surprised if they didn't. Somewhere on the link I provided previously, WisDOT lists the criteria for when gates get installed vs. installing a barricade rack. IIRC, the main stipulation is AADT.
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

GeekJedi

As of yesterday, the Alt I-41 shields are covered up along I-43.   :-/
"Wisconsin - The Concurrency State!"

davenh

Quote from: GeekJedi on July 04, 2014, 11:29:54 AM
As of yesterday, the Alt I-41 shields are covered up along I-43.   :-/

I'm glad I got a look when I did, then. I also saw Alt I-41 signs on I-94 EB out in Waukesha/Pewaukee, directing traffic to exit at WI-164 NB.

Stratuscaster

Are the US-41 and US-45 shields shaped a bit differently on that "alt" sign?

jreuschl

I wonder if the 'alt' signs confuse any motorists who can easily be confused.. :) Wait, the interstate continues at this exit!?

SPH-L900

merrycilantro

Just heard on 101.1 WIXX (Green Bay) this morning that they are beginning the signing of Interstate 41 in Milwaukee. Though the radio people had no clue as to what the schematics of the transition from USH 41 to I-41 were, it was exciting to hear. Can anybody down there confirm?

Fox 11 News

merrycilantro

I suppose, it's not as big a deal in the Milwaukee area as it is in the Fox Cities, because they already have 2 interstates. I'm sure it got very little coverage. They make it sound like "all of a sudden out of the blue, these I-41 signs start popping up! Like WTF right?!"

SSOWorld

Alternate routes have taken a new meaning in WI and are appearing in other states as well.  Iowa uses "Emergency Detour"  M- uses "Emergency" Illinois follows Wisconsin similarly (Alt).  There are others but I forget which ones.  They may also be by district especially in IL since I didn't see any outside D2
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Revive 755

The alternate interstates in Illinois usually only appear during major construction projects IIRC.  Right now there is also an Alt I-55 signed along I-80 and IL 47 to bypass the Des Plaines River bridge work.  An Alt I-80 though has also appeared for an overpass replacement east of Morris.

The St. Louis District of MoDOT has signed color coded "bypass routes" for I-55 (example sign assembly).  I believe these are to be expanded to other interstates in the coming years.

SSOWorld

Which is what they were probably intended for where I saw them (The "tollway" being rebuilt by Rockford at the time)
Scott O.

Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
Raise your what?

FightingIrish

Congress just went on a month-long recess. Did the Senate finally pass their version of the weight limit waiver?

Incidentally, spotted a few more covered signs. These were on Capitol Drive in Waukesha County, designating the I-41/US 41-45 alternate route.

merrycilantro

Okay, maybe I'm just simplistic here, but wouldn't it make more sense to Decommission WIS 341 (since it is only like 1 mile long) in favor of the WIS 175 which will come down what is present US41 (Appleton Ave) and end at I-94? I'm sure there MUST be some logic behind it but consolidating numbers and whatnot seems more logical to me. I don't see the Stadium Freeway being turned into a Interstate Spur anytime soon, so I mean why not just have it be 175 all the way down to 59 (National Ave)

SSOWorld

Scott O.

Raise your what?

triplemultiplex

Quote from: SSOWorld on August 08, 2014, 07:51:22 PM
It's Wisconsin logic.

Naw, if it were Wisconsin logic, they would extend both WI 175 and WI 341 over the newly vacated portion of US 41 and create another long concurrency.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

GeekJedi

Actually, Wisconsin logic would dictate that WI-175 and 341 be re-routed on to I-94 W to US 45 N then up to Appleton Ave, creating one section of pavement labeled as "I-41, US-41, US-45, WI-100, WI-175, and WI-341".

But I digress...   :pan:
"Wisconsin - The Concurrency State!"

merrycilantro

I Literally Laughed out loud at the previous two posts!! SO TRUE!!!

davenh

I got a picture of the newest WI-341 sign in the Stadium Interchange. Interesting change, though:

Instead of just covering the previously reported WI-175, there's an "END US-41" on this sign. Totally false, of course, but interesting nonetheless.

merrycilantro

Hmm. wonder how long it'll take to cover it up...that just doesn't make sense...

davenh

Quote from: merrycilantro on August 28, 2014, 12:06:17 PM
Hmm. wonder how long it'll take to cover it up...that just doesn't make sense...

I thought someone had mentioned (though I can't seem to find the post) that the sign had said "South WI-341/END WI-175". By the time I got to it (which admittedly, this picture is a couple of weeks old), this was what I saw. Assuming that it had listed WI-175, I don't get why they didn't just leave that on there and cover up that portion of the sign, like what they've done to anything mentioning I-41.

SEWIGuy

Well not to mention that US-41 doesn't "END" there. 

FightingIrish

Quote from: GeekJedi on August 10, 2014, 11:20:18 PM
Actually, Wisconsin logic would dictate that WI-175 and 341 be re-routed on to I-94 W to US 45 N then up to Appleton Ave, creating one section of pavement labeled as "I-41, US-41, US-45, WI-100, WI-175, and WI-341".

I still don't get the logic of the WI 100 concurrency with 41/45 from Silver Spring to Main St. Wouldn't it have made more sense to run it concurrently with WI 145 on 124th St. from the North Interchange to Brown Deer Rd.?

Big John

Quote from: FightingIrish on August 28, 2014, 06:17:19 PM
Quote from: GeekJedi on August 10, 2014, 11:20:18 PM

I still don't get the logic of the WI 100 concurrency with 41/45 from Silver Spring to Main St. Wouldn't it have made more sense to run it concurrently with WI 145 on 124th St. from the North Interchange to Brown Deer Rd.?
It used to run from W Good Hope Road to N 107th St before the City of Milwaukee took over 107th St.  Then it was rerouted to its current route.  For some reason it was not rerouted again when 124th St was reconstructed and extended to Brown Deer Rd.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.