News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

US-41 Interstate Conversion

Started by ssummers72, February 10, 2009, 09:43:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big John

Quote from: OCGuy81 on April 09, 2015, 04:47:40 PM
Really going to find the I-41/US 41 shields together interesting.

Not to mention I-41,43,894,and US 41 signage.
US 41 reassurance signs won't be installed in the Milwaukee area.

FightingIrish

Looks like the I-41 shields in the Milwaukee area could be uncovered anytime.

http://www.whby.com/index.php/News/WHBY_News/505397

mgk920

From what I understand, 'US 41' shields will be omitted on reassurance signs in most or all of Milwaukee County, this to cut down on sign clutter.

Mike

FightingIrish

Quote from: Big John on April 09, 2015, 05:15:58 PM

US 41 reassurance signs won't be installed in the Milwaukee area.

There are some semi-covered 'alternate route' assemblies for I-41/U.S.41/45 on a few highways around town, such as I-43 and Capitol Drive from the Zoo Freeway to WIS 164. On the route itself, U.S. 41 will be sparsely signed.

I-39

Why isn't I-894 being decommissioned? It really isn't necessary anymore with I-41 going up.

vtk

Quote from: adamlanfort on April 09, 2015, 06:19:53 PM
Why isn't I-894 being decommissioned? It really isn't necessary anymore with I-41 going up.

Because it's still a bypass for I-94, and to provide some EAST—WEST signage on the east—west segment that would otherwise have only a confusing wrong-way NORTH—SOUTH overlap.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

FightingIrish

Quote from: adamlanfort on April 09, 2015, 06:19:53 PM

Also minimizes confusion.

triplemultiplex

I laugh at how we have to discuss 894 every month or two when people discover the absurdity that is I-894 remaining.

No need for it anymore.  I-41 is now the "bypass."

Maybe it can be quietly decommissioned in a few years once folks are used to I-41.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

Brandon

Quote from: triplemultiplex on April 10, 2015, 11:11:04 AM
I laugh at how we have to discuss 894 every month or two when people discover the absurdity that is I-894 remaining.

Maybe it can be quietly decommissioned in a few years once folks are used to I-41.

Hey, it gives Wisconsin a new distinction: Two Triple Interstate Concurrencies!

Makes it unique in not just having one of them (which was unique before after I-70 was moved off the PSB), but two of them!
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Henry

Quote from: Brandon on April 10, 2015, 11:14:59 AM

Makes it unique in not just having one of them (which was unique before after I-70 was moved off the PSB), but two of them!
I have a feeling it will never go away, because folks are used to calling it I-894 anyway, and will continue to long after I-41 has been established.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

FightingIrish

According to one of the WISDOT Facebook pages, some signing/uncovering of I-41 shields could start as soon as May. Most of the signing will take place over the summer. On the US 41 project page, WISDOT is officially referring to the highway as I-41, effective yesterday. Thus, I-41 now truly exists.

merrycilantro

My guess is that the M'waukee locals will always refer to it as 894 just as we in the Fox Valley would have referred to 41 as "Highway 41" regardless of what number was on the pretty little shield. It'll be nice now for my non-road-loving family and friends from the southern parts of the state to visit to just tell them, TAKE 41 ALL THE WAY TO FDL...Now, if we can just get wages to increase in the Fond du Lac Area since the Interstate Designation is supposed to bring commerce...They best sign it before I leave to move to Sheboygan! (Whenever that is...)

Now, to work on Interstate Signing 441 all the way to 45 (although that would TECHNICALLY mean it should become something like 541/741/941...) And the West Bend Spur! Let the breath-holding commence..

mgk920

Quote from: Brandon on April 10, 2015, 11:14:59 AM

AND - the *first* one with a 3DI!!!

:hyper:

:-P

Mike

merrycilantro

^^AND, the first wrong-way concurrency in WI, if i'm not mistaken?

SSOWorld

Quote from: merrycilantro on April 13, 2015, 08:20:09 AM
^^AND, the first wrong-way concurrency in WI, if i'm not mistaken?
Of 2 or more Interstates.  Several small wrong-ways exist between US Routes and state routes all over the state.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

merrycilantro

SSO, your profile picture...I've seen that! it's off of Peters turning onto Scott Street in Fond du Lac!!

Now, I wonder if Mayor Tom Barrett has the same notion of freeways as John Norquist did, who had tried to dump 894 and run 94 along 894 and extend 794 over would-be former  94...if that be the case then I would assume 894's days are numbered...but really I think it'd lack support and it's just one guy or a small group of guys/gals blowing their hot air horns.

I myself am indifferent to whether or not 894 would get the boot. Even if I lived there still, I guess I could take it or leave it. I'd focus more on the Appleton and Green Bay Area, with 441 and 172, maybe even 45 if West Bend (and company) feel the need to link to an interstate.

I was only about 11 when 39 came to be along the 51 corridor, but I wonder if the situation with I-41's Elevation is similar to 39's, in that it's like people are questioning the necessity of it and what not...all I knew was that there was a new number when I went up north!

hobsini2

I would still keep 894 just in case the northern bypass is ever built. That way, the whole thing could be 894.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

SSOWorld

Quote from: hobsini2 on April 13, 2015, 05:55:02 PM
I would still keep 894 just in case the northern bypass is ever built. That way, the whole thing could be 894.
Not happening in this overdeveloped world...
Scott O.

Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
Raise your what?

US 41

Will US 41 still be signed on Appleton Ave. or will it be decommissioned / renumbered?
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

Big John

Quote from: US 41 on April 13, 2015, 09:35:57 PM
Will US 41 still be signed on Appleton Ave. or will it be decommissioned / renumbered?
It is renumbered WI 175 (extended from the north)

mgk920

Speaking of WI 441, a FB exchange from Monday (2015-04-12):

Michael G Koerner Are there any thoughts of applying to AASHTO for promotion of WI 441 to 'I-441' once its current round of upgrades are complete?
Like · Reply · Yesterday at 12:09am

Wisconsin US 41 Project Hi Michael, Good question! The process of US 41 becoming an Interstate began in 2005 when Congressman Petri got federal legislation enacted to designate US 41 as a future Interstate. This legislation came at the urging of local municipalities and Chambers of Commerce. There has been no similar legislation discussed for WIS 441. But we will keep you posted of any changes in the future. Thank you!
Like · 10 hrs

Mike

SSOWorld

Ok so it DOES take an act of congress now. :banghead:
Scott O.

Raise your what?

GeekJedi

Quote from: mgk920 on April 14, 2015, 01:37:28 AM
Speaking of WI 441, a FB exchange from Monday (2015-04-12):

Michael G Koerner Are there any thoughts of applying to AASHTO for promotion of WI 441 to 'I-441' once its current round of upgrades are complete?
Like · Reply · Yesterday at 12:09am

Wisconsin US 41 Project Hi Michael, Good question! The process of US 41 becoming an Interstate began in 2005 when Congressman Petri got federal legislation enacted to designate US 41 as a future Interstate. This legislation came at the urging of local municipalities and Chambers of Commerce. There has been no similar legislation discussed for WIS 441. But we will keep you posted of any changes in the future. Thank you!
Like · 10 hrs

Mike

That is *exactly* what I was saying earlier. The only reason I-41 exists was due to politicians and business owners. WisDOT didn't really see any need to "promote" US 41. The same situation exists with 441. There's no reason to slap an interstate marker on it just because you can. The local governments and community leaders are going to have to ask for it if the want it to happen - and I just don't see that occurring. There'd be no real benefit to it, since 441 really isn't a "bypass" in the traditional sense. It's not really a bypass route as much as it is an alternate route. Most people wouldn't want to choose 441 as the "through" route to Green Bay.
"Wisconsin - The Concurrency State!"

triplemultiplex

Just gotta get Mike elected to office in Appleton/Outagamie County.
:awesomeface: :-D
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

SSOWorld

Nah, just gotta leave it alone.
Scott O.

Raise your what?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.