News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

US-41 Interstate Conversion

Started by ssummers72, February 10, 2009, 09:43:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FightingIrish

The signs start going up in Brown County (Green Bay) next week, then crews will start at the south end near the Illinois state line and work their way north.

http://wbay.com/2015/05/28/dignitaries-cheer-interstate-41/

peterj920

Quote from: hobsini2 on May 26, 2015, 08:43:03 PM
Quote from: triplemultiplex on May 26, 2015, 07:01:23 PM
Over the weekend, I saw the newly rebuilt interchange at WI 144 in Slinger.  That was the last of the super-old pre-freeway interchanges on the corridor, if I'm correct.

Crews were starting in on cable barrier installation in Dodge County.  The lane closure sure was slowing things down SB today.  People need to be told to zipper merge in that situation.

Lastly, it was my first time over the Butte des Morts causeway since it was fully opened.  Probably the first time in over a decade I've been able to sail through there.  Super nice to see that bottleneck gone.
My only issue with the Butte des Mortes Causeway on 41 is that the side walls are so high that you no longer can see the beautiful waterway below. I'm guessing though that had to be done to get counted toward interstate standards.

A recreational trail was built along the I-41 Northbound lanes which is why there's a high concrete barrier wall.  On Southbound I-41 there is mostly cable guard across the causeway except for the bridge approaches and bridge sections.  It's very easy to see the water traveling southbound.   

The Ghostbuster

I have a feeling Interstate 41 may be the last Interstate ever designated in Wisconsin.

Roadguy

Quote from: peterj920 on May 29, 2015, 12:42:43 AM
A recreational trail was built along the I-41 Northbound lanes which is why there's a high concrete barrier wall.  On Southbound I-41 there is mostly cable guard across the causeway except for the bridge approaches and bridge sections.  It's very easy to see the water traveling southbound.   

The cable guard would had been barrier wall as well but due to drifting snow concerns with winds across the lake they opted for the cable instead.  Cable guard is not ideal compared to barrier due to the maintenance that comes with it (although it is better than nothing and way cheaper than concrete barrier which is why it is used in so many medians).  The concrete barrier when it blocks the wind, it's just enough to deposit the snow on the roadway whereas the cable guard lets it blow through.  Since over a majority of the time the winds come from the west, having barrier on the outside edge of the NB roadway (east side of the causeway) only means snow gets deposited on the trail.

mgk920

Quote from: Roadguy on May 30, 2015, 10:23:50 AM
Quote from: peterj920 on May 29, 2015, 12:42:43 AM

The cable guard would had been barrier wall as well but due to drifting snow concerns with winds across the lake they opted for the cable instead.  Cable guard is not ideal compared to barrier due to the maintenance that comes with it (although it is better than nothing and way cheaper than concrete barrier which is why it is used in so many medians).  The concrete barrier when it blocks the wind, it's just enough to deposit the snow on the roadway whereas the cable guard lets it blow through.  Since over a majority of the time the winds come from the west, having barrier on the outside edge of the NB roadway (east side of the causeway) only means snow gets deposited on the trail.

WisDOT's original planning for the recent upgrade was to replace the earth fill on the 'Causeway' with a shore-to-shore bridge (snow would blow harmlessly underneath), but was rejected later on, likely due to cost.

Mike

triplemultiplex

Quote from: mgk920 on May 30, 2015, 12:31:08 PM
WisDOT's original planning for the recent upgrade was to replace the earth fill on the 'Causeway' with a shore-to-shore bridge (snow would blow harmlessly underneath), but was rejected later on, likely due to cost.

Too bad, because that would've done wonders for the ecology of Lake Butte des Mortes.  The earthen causeway is a barrier to the circulation of water in the lake and has contributed to the growth of weeds.

[/quote]
Quote from: The Ghostbuster on May 29, 2015, 04:11:49 PM
I have a feeling Interstate 41 may be the last Interstate ever designated in Wisconsin.

Never say never. :)
There are 4 quality urban 3di candidates that could be signed today.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

peterj920

I-41 overhead signs were installed on WIS 172 at the I-41 interchange overnight, the signing is beginning.

mrose

Apart from 3dis and extensions, probably. I'd expect 172 to be done first, since it now connects one interstate to another.

Maybe 29 when we are all REALLY old, but I don't want to get into fictional territory.

mgk920

Quote from: peterj920 on May 30, 2015, 01:44:21 PM
I-41 overhead signs were installed on WIS 172 at the I-41 interchange overnight, the signing is beginning.

And they are of the correct font, too, I hope.

:cool:

:cheers:

Mike

mgk920

Quote from: triplemultiplex on May 30, 2015, 12:47:43 PM
Quote from: mgk920 on May 30, 2015, 12:31:08 PM

Too bad, because that would've done wonders for the ecology of Lake Butte des Mortes.  The earthen causeway is a barrier to the circulation of water in the lake and has contributed to the growth of weeds.

It's not a 'natural' lake anyways, not more than 'linked' Winnebago is - their water level is controlled by the dams in Menasha and Neenah.  Before those dams, the area was very marshy, and 'Winnebago' is very aptly named - 'Winnebago' is 'Land of stinking water' in the aboriginal Menominee language.

Quote from: triplemultiplex on May 30, 2015, 12:47:43 PM

Never say never. :)
There are 4 quality urban 3di candidates that could be signed today.

I can think of several, too, WI 441, the US 45 West Bend Spur, WI 30, WI 172, WI 119, etc.

:nod:

Mike

FightingIrish

If any of you are around the south end (state line, Kenosha, etc.), keep an eye out for the signing crews. They will start signing down there anytime, and work their way north. Report back, and post pics.

peterj920

Quote from: FightingIrish on May 31, 2015, 01:06:17 PM
If any of you are around the south end (state line, Kenosha, etc.), keep an eye out for the signing crews. They will start signing down there anytime, and work their way north. Report back, and post pics.

I already submitted a pic of a sign installed at the Wis 172 interchange on Friday, and that is the only sign posted now.  Tomorrow, the sign crews are going to start at the north end and I will take pictures once they're installed at the north end.  Brown County is going to be the first to be signed, then the crew will start at the south end and work north.  ---

Mrt90

Quote from: FightingIrish on May 31, 2015, 01:06:17 PM
I live in Kenosha and work in Lake County, IL and I take I-94/US41 every day.  I will watch for the new signs. 

The I-94/US41/Russell Road area was redone last year (they really messed up the northbound merge/Russell exit) and they put up all new signs with US41 logos that now need to be replaced, both on the highway and on Russell Road.  I guess they had no choice but it seems like a waste.  I don't think they can just cover the US41 logos with I41 logos, can they?

hobsini2

Sure they can. It would not be completely out of the ordinary.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

DaBigE

In some cases, the shields are just riveted onto the sign panel. So they cut the old rivets, and pop a new shield in its place.
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

mikeov1985

I noticed I-41 reassurance markers around Oshkosh earlier this week.

mgk920

Quote from: mikeov1985 on June 04, 2015, 10:27:12 AM

I did too while driving around on Tuesday, from the north end of the highway at I-43 as far south as WI 21 in Oshkosh, most southbound.  Northbound, they were at all interchange from Outagamie County 'J' in Kaukauna to the north end, plus a couple by the causeway in Oshkosh.  At that time, I was expecting all of the reassurance signs north of WI 26 to be in by this typing.

Mike

peterj920

Quote from: mgk920 on June 04, 2015, 02:30:30 PM

I did too while driving around on Tuesday, from the north end of the highway at I-43 as far south as WI 21 in Oshkosh, most southbound.  Northbound, they were at all interchange from Outagamie County 'J' in Kaukauna to the north end, plus a couple by the causeway in Oshkosh.  At that time, I was expecting all of the reassurance signs north of WI 26 to be in by this typing.

Mike

Looks like they started at the Cty J interchange, went north to Green Bay, then signed reassurance shields southbound.  The only overhead signs I see are at the WIS 172 interchange.  Would be great to know what the signing plan is. 

mgk920

The pathway along I-41 on the recently rebuilt Lake Butte des Morts causeway in Oshkosh, WI has been designated a National Recreational Trail.

http://fox11online.com/2015/06/04/oshkosh-trail-added-to-national-system/

Mike

The Ghostbuster

With the Interstate 41 signs going up, are the US 41 sign markers disappearing as well?

mgk920

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on June 05, 2015, 04:49:39 PM
With the Interstate 41 signs going up, are the US 41 sign markers disappearing as well?

They're disappearing everywhere except on mainline reassurance markers outside of the central Milwaukee metro area.

Mike

merrycilantro

I don't have a picture but yesterday while driving I-41 from Winnebago street in North Fond du Lac to Military Rd, I 41 signs made their debuts...however they stand right beside the old US 41 signs...it almost looks like they are supposed to be side by side like that...it almost makes one look at the signs and go "What's the point?"

mikeov1985

Here's one of the reassurance markers in Oshkosh.
https://flic.kr/p/u87TN2

Avalanchez71

How does one follow US 41 in WI? 

peterj920

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on June 08, 2015, 05:48:00 PM
How does one follow US 41 in WI?

Follow Interstate 41, US 41 is cosigned with I-41 on reassurance markers.  If you feel adventurous and want to follow the old road, can take WIS 175 between Milwaukee and Fond Du Lac, that is the old route of US 41.  On the north end of Green Bay, I-41 ends but US 41 continues as a freeway for about 15 miles north until a system interchange at US 141, then it becomes an expressway with freeway bypasses of Oconto and Peshtigo.  About 5 miles north of Peshtigo, US 41 enters the City of Marinette, and that is the only part of US 41 in Wisconsin that is not a freeway or expressway.  Then there's the bridge across the Menominee River into Michigan into the City of Menominee, where US 41 enters Michigan, and you can continue up to Copper Harbor where it ends. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.