News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

US-41 Interstate Conversion

Started by ssummers72, February 10, 2009, 09:43:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

noelbotevera

Quote from: FightingIrish on June 14, 2015, 07:50:53 PM
Here it is, on the Bypass northbound:

Isn't that US 41 sign erroneous? It's only I-41, I-894, and US 45. Either that US 41 has a disputed routing through Milwaukee, or I'm wrong.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

Big John

^^ That differs from the the proposed signage concept that the US 41 reassurance shield would not be erected in Milwaukee Metro.

Big John

Quote from: noelbotevera on June 14, 2015, 07:55:36 PM

Isn't that US 41 sign erroneous? It's only I-41, I-894, and US 45. Either that US 41 has a disputed routing through Milwaukee, or I'm wrong.
US 41 had been rerouted in Milwaukee County to be completely concurrent with I-41.

FightingIrish

Quote from: Big John on June 14, 2015, 07:56:23 PM
^^ That differs from the the proposed signage concept that the US 41 reassurance shield would not be erected in Milwaukee Metro.

Yeah, that's weird. US 41 is signed like that at least on the parts of the Zoo Freeway I was on.

The BGS's and signs on intersections, however, won't show US 41. Only the reassurance signs on the shoulder and the center median (saw one of those near Watertown Plank Rd., a vertical sign with I-41, US 41 and 45, but it was covered). My guess is that this is a way to avoid driver confusion, as this is the biggest route realignment in the metro area since US 41 was moved off S. 27th St. in 1999. Might be the biggest since I-43 replaced WIS 15 in 1988, and US 141 a few years before that.

FightingIrish

Quote from: noelbotevera on June 14, 2015, 07:55:36 PM

I-41's alignment is being rerouted along the Bypass and the Zoo Freeway, and pulled off 94/43. The Stadium Freeway, Lisbon Av and Appleton Av are being renumbered as WIS 175.

SEWIGuy

Quote from: FightingIrish on June 14, 2015, 08:15:16 PM
Quote from: Big John on June 14, 2015, 07:56:23 PM

Yeah, that's weird. US 41 is signed like that at least on the parts of the Zoo Freeway I was on.

The BGS's and signs on intersections, however, won't show US 41. Only the reassurance signs on the shoulder and the center median (saw one of those near Watertown Plank Rd., a vertical sign with I-41, US 41 and 45, but it was covered). My guess is that this is a way to avoid driver confusion, as this is the biggest route realignment in the metro area since US 41 was moved off S. 27th St. in 1999. Might be the biggest since I-43 replaced WIS 15 in 1988, and US 141 a few years before that.

US-41 should have been put on the bypass decades ago.

SSOWorld

Quote from: FightingIrish on June 14, 2015, 07:50:53 PM
Here it is, on the Bypass northbound:

They must have changed their mind about not signing along the road in Milwaukee.  Very odd.

Then again WisDOT likes its black background and multiplexing so it's sure showing it off.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Right on Red

There's a similar I-41/US-41/US-45/WI-167 sign near Germantown...but only on the southbound side so far.

GeekJedi

I drove from Milwaukee to Appleton today...it was magical! All that commercing and amazing interstate stuff - it was like all of a sudden it was a freeway! :-)

Just kidding. It was the same ol' Hwy 41 with shiny new shields.
"Wisconsin - The Concurrency State!"

peterj920

To recap all of the multiplexes:

I-41/I-94/US 41 from the US 41/I-94 Interchange to the Mitchell Interchange

I-41/I-43/I-894/US 41 from the Mitchell Interchange to the Hale Interchange

I-41/I-894/US 41/US 45 from the Hale Interchange to the Zoo Interchange

I-41/US 41/US 45 from the Zoo Interchange to Silver Spring Dr

I-41/US 41/ US 45/ WIS 100 from Silver Spring Dr to 124th St

I-41/US 41/ US 45 from 124th St to Lannon Rd

I-41/US 41/ US 45/ WIS 167 from Lannon Rd to Holy Hill Rd

I-41/US 41/ US 45 from Holy Hill Rd to the Richfield Interchange

I-41/US 41 from the Richfield Interchange to Velp Ave

I-41/US 41/ US 141 from Velp Ave to just beyond the I-43 interchange (the signing plans show that it will be signed starting about 1.5 miles north of I-43 and there will be a sign will all 3 highways)
(Did not count WIS 32 in the group because that route only runs along collector/distributor lanes between Mason St and the WIS 29 Interchange and is not routed along the mainline)

Total Multiplexes:
1 Duplex
3 Triplexes
4 Quadplexes

Along the entire route of I-41, that makes 8 different route combinations along the entire route!  4 quadplexes along a single route must be close to a record!

FightingIrish

One minor correction. WIS 100 is signed up to Main St. in Menomonee Falls, where it then heads toward the lake on Brown Deer Road. To this day, I still don't understand why it simply doesn't duplex the short distance with 145 on 124th St. to Brown Deer.

Mrt90

I-41 signs are up in Kenosha County, going south, I saw one between Hwy C and Hwy 165, and another between Hwy 165 and the state line on my way to work this morning.  I was checking for signs going north, too, but I couldn't see any, but I did see that they were putting up the Speed Limit 70 signs. 

I wonder what they will do on the overhead signs where US41 splits from I-94 across the state line?  Will there be an "End I-41" sign somewhere or will they just ignore that?

Brandon

Quote from: Mrt90 on June 16, 2015, 09:20:21 AM
I wonder what they will do on the overhead signs where US41 splits from I-94 across the state line?  Will there be an "End I-41" sign somewhere or will they just ignore that?

If it's up to IDOT, don't bet on seeing any begin or end signage any time soon.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Big John

Quote from: Brandon on June 16, 2015, 04:40:55 PM

If it's up to IDOT, don't bet on seeing any begin or end signage any time soon.
WisDOT's signing contract includes the Illinois portion of I-41 and I believe there will be end signage there.

Revive 755

^ WisDOT's plans have a lot of signing for I-41 in Illinois, including:

* Two ground mounted End I-41 assemblies in front of an overhead APL sign for the I-94/US 41 split

* A 'US 41 follow I-41' sign on NB US 41 shortly before the merge with I-94.

* Adding I-41 to all of the trailblazing assemblies on Russell Road and the west frontage road.  US 41 will remain with these assemblies.

SSOWorld

IDiOT's reaction was basically "FkU, you want it, u put it up" :banghead:
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

peterj920

Also posted today another 12' long reassurance sign just south of the Hwy M/ Lineville Rd interchange, of I-41/US 41/US 141/ Lake Michigan Circle Tour, which means that the beginning is actually 1 exit up from the I-43 interchange.  Lineville Rd is where the expansion project ends, which is why they opted to extend the interstate to that exit.  No end signs yet, probably because of the ongoing roadwork, those reassurance signs were posted just before the roadwork begins. 

Mrt90

I-41 signs are up in Kenosha County, going south, I saw one between Hwy C and Hwy 165, and another between Hwy 165 and the state line on my way to work this morning.  I was checking for signs going north, too, but I couldn't see any, but I did see that they were putting up the Speed Limit 70 signs. 

I saw 1 I-41 sign coming home from work today, it is actually very close to the 70mph sign I saw them putting up this morning.  I took the first exit (Hwy165) so I don't know for sure about signs in the rest of Kenosha County.

mgk920

Quote from: peterj920 on June 16, 2015, 09:15:13 PM
Also posted today another 12' long reassurance sign just south of the Hwy M/ Lineville Rd interchange, of I-41/US 41/US 141/ Lake Michigan Circle Tour, which means that the beginning is actually 1 exit up from the I-43 interchange.  Lineville Rd is where the expansion project ends, which is why they opted to extend the interstate to that exit.  No end signs yet, probably because of the ongoing roadwork, those reassurance signs were posted just before the roadwork begins.

Did they fix the signing mistake on the overhead BGSes on NB US 41/141 just south of County 'M'/Lineville Rd (no 'US 141' shields) yet?

:hmmm:

Mike

peterj920

Quote from: mgk920 on June 17, 2015, 01:39:40 AM
Quote from: peterj920 on June 16, 2015, 09:15:13 PM

Did they fix the signing mistake on the overhead BGSes on NB US 41/141 just south of County 'M'/Lineville Rd (no 'US 141' shields) yet?

:hmmm:

Mike

No work has been done to any overhead signs in the area, still says US 41 with an omission of US 141.  There aren't any End I-41 signs yet, and there was an I-41/US 141 reassurance sign at the end of I-43 also. 

Avalanchez71

Quote from: SSOWorld on June 16, 2015, 09:02:20 PM
IDiOT's reaction was basically "FkU, you want it, u put it up" :banghead:
That would be my response as well.  This has been signed this way for longer than I have been alive if I am not mistaken.  How long has US 41 been on this routing in IL?

hobsini2

Quote from: FightingIrish on June 15, 2015, 11:52:37 PM
One minor correction. WIS 100 is signed up to Main St. in Menomonee Falls, where it then heads toward the lake on Brown Deer Road. To this day, I still don't understand why it simply doesn't duplex the short distance with 145 on 124th St. to Brown Deer.
Actually, I believe Wis 100 used to be along 107th St from Silver Spring Rd to Brown Deer Rd. That was according to a Delorme State Atlas from 1985 that was my grandfather's.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

Big John

Quote from: hobsini2 on June 17, 2015, 02:14:25 PM
Quote from: FightingIrish on June 15, 2015, 11:52:37 PM
Actually, I believe Wis 100 used to be along 107th St from Silver Spring Rd to Brown Deer Rd. That was according to a Delorme State Atlas from 1985 that was my grandfather's.
Yep, except it was from Good Hope Rd to Brown Deer Rd. (107th St does not exist between Silver Spring Dr and Appleton Ave) Rerouted as Milwaukee didn't want the trucks on 107th St.

mgk920

Yesterday, while driving around here in the Appleton area, I came upon a brand spankin' newly installed 'JCT/WI 41' sign on the eastbound Outagamie/Winnebago County 'BB' (Prospect Ave) approach to I-41.

:cheers:

"You had *JUST ONE JOB* - 'INTERstate 41', not 'state 41' . . . . "

:-D

:-P

Mike

roadman65

Quote from: mgk920 on June 20, 2015, 03:19:24 PM
Yesterday, while driving around here in the Appleton area, I came upon a brand spankin' newly installed 'JCT/WI 41' sign on the eastbound Outagamie/Winnebago County 'BB' (Prospect Ave) approach to I-41.

:cheers:

"You had *JUST ONE JOB* - 'INTERstate 41', not 'state 41' . . . . "

:-D

:-P

Mike
Take a picture of it and then post on erroneous road signs.

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.