News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

US-41 Interstate Conversion

Started by ssummers72, February 10, 2009, 09:43:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SEWIGuy

US-41 was re-routed off the streets of Milwaukee as part of the I-41 approval.  So now US-41 will be duplexed with I-41 for the latter's entire routing, and reassurance markers will indicate that.  It is ridiculous.  US-41 should have simply disappeared where I-41 exists, and reappeared north of Green Bay.

mgk920

Quote from: SEWIGuy on September 01, 2015, 10:53:44 AM
US-41 was re-routed off the streets of Milwaukee as part of the I-41 approval.  So now US-41 will be duplexed with I-41 for the latter's entire routing, and reassurance markers will indicate that.  It is ridiculous.  US-41 should have simply disappeared where I-41 exists, and reappeared north of Green Bay.

Nearly all of the reassurance signs were changed a couple of months ago, they say "NORTH/SOUTH NORTH/SOUTH(as the case may be)/I-41 US 41".  Aside from a "US 41 follow I-41" sign at each end, that will be the only mention of 'US 41' on the routing when all of the signing work is complete.

I-41 officially runs between the Skokie Rd (US 41) split from I-94 just south of the Illinois-Wisconsin state line and the I-43 'Howard' interchange in the Green Bay area.  Note that there is an erroneous 'I-41' reassurance sign on SB US 41/141 just south of the Lineville Rd interchange (first interchange north of I-43).

Note, too, that as part of I-41's routing, there is a 'wrong-way' concurrency (second in the USA for interstates) between I-41 and I-43 in Milwaukee County.

Mike

SEWIGuy

Quote from: mgk920 on September 01, 2015, 10:59:13 AM

Nearly all of the reassurance signs were changed a couple of months ago, they say "NORTH/SOUTH NORTH/SOUTH(as the case may be)/I-41 US 41".  Aside from a "US 41 follow I-41" sign at each end, that will be the only mention of 'US 41' on the routing when all of the signing work is complete.

I-41 officially runs between the Skokie Rd (US 41) split from I-94 just south of the Illinois-Wisconsin state line and the I-43 'Howard' interchange in the Green Bay area.  Note that there is an erroneous 'I-41' reassurance sign on SB US 41/141 just south of the Lineville Rd interchange (first interchange north of I-43).

Note, too, that as part of I-41's routing, there is a 'wrong-way' concurrency (second in the USA for interstates) between I-41 and I-43 in Milwaukee County.

Mike

I have found numerous instances of US-41 on signs other than reassurance markers.  No BGS, but on directional signs in the Milwaukee area around I-894.

peterj920

Mike

There is also supposed to be a BGS that says "Begin I-41" on a sign bridge just south of the Lineville Rd Interchange, so clearly WISDOT wants to sign the route starting at that interchange, according to sign plans.  I think I-41 is being signed starting at that interchange instead of I-43 because the US 41/I-41 is being reconstructed up to Lineville Rd, and the Lineville Rd Interchange gives access to the fastest growing area in the Green Bay Metro.  I am wondering if Howard/Suamico officials requested to have the signs start from that point so they can say there's interstate access to that area. 

silverback1065

Quote from: peterj920 on September 01, 2015, 06:55:53 PM

Mike

There is also supposed to be a BGS that says "Begin I-41" on a sign bridge just south of the Lineville Rd Interchange, so clearly WISDOT wants to sign the route starting at that interchange, according to sign plans.  I think I-41 is being signed starting at that interchange instead of I-43 because the US 41/I-41 is being reconstructed up to Lineville Rd, and the Lineville Rd Interchange gives access to the fastest growing area in the Green Bay Metro.  I am wondering if Howard/Suamico officials requested to have the signs start from that point so they can say there's interstate access to that area.

Will there be signs saying something to the effect of "I-41 ENDS US-41 North [control city]"

JREwing78

Quote from: peterj920 on September 01, 2015, 06:55:53 PM

That leads me to wonder why the designation wasn't simply extended to the US 41/141 split in Abrams, which would be a logical starting point. The road should already meet Interstate design standards (aside from that goofy weigh station in the median near Abrams).

peterj920

[/quote]

Will there be signs saying something to the effect of "I-41 ENDS US-41 North [control city]"
[/quote]

The big BGS at the new I-43 interchange on I-41 north mainline lanes are still covered up and the road configuration is a lot different from the original sign plans.  In November, the north I-41 lanes should be completed, and some permanent signs may be installed then.  But, the southbound I-41 lanes still need to be reconstructed and the southbound traffic will need to share the northbound lanes, so not all of the permanent signs will be installed most likely.  On the BGS's in the Green Bay Area that currently have I-41 shields on them, Marinette is the control city.  I'm interested to see if the END I-41 signs will be posted at I-43, or at County M/Lineville Rd.  If I-43 is where the END signs are posted, it would be a unique situation where the beginning and the end of an interstate are marked at 2 different locations.

FightingIrish

Quote from: mgk920 on September 01, 2015, 10:48:42 AM

The city streets routing of US 41 (north of National Ave/WI 59?) is being renumbered to WI 175.

:nod:

Mike

The other day, I spotted a WIS 175 sign on National Avenue EB just before the intersection with Miller Park Way. Perhaps this means WISDOT will extend 175 to replace WIS 341. Makes sense, as I'm sure they're concerned about possible confusion.

More WIS 175 signs have gone up on Appleton Ave and Lisbon Ave and on intersecting streets over the past couple weeks, though there are still some stray US 41 signs along the route, especially on the Stadium Freeway and on I-94 BGS's near the interchange. They must be doing everything gradually to ease the transition.

The Ghostbuster

I think it is a good idea to replace WIS 341 with WIS 175. Will the Miller Parkway guide signs on Interstate 94 have WIS 175 shields, or will it be like it was before, just signed Miller Parkway?

SEWIGuy

I drove the Stadium Freeway north yesterday.  There is a WI-175 reassurance marker and WI-175 signs on the BGSs at the interchange with I-94.  I didn't notice any guide signs at the WI-59 (National Avenue) intersection, but I must admit I wasn't looking for them.

FightingIrish

Per the Zoo Interchange Project's Facebook page, WISDOT crews are doing an overnight closure of WB I-94 between Hawley and the Zoo to place/uncover I-41 shields on the BGS assemblies.

peterj920

The sign plans say that WIS 175 signs are supposed to be posted at WIS 59, and replace the WIS 341 signs at the Canal St Interchange. (WIS 341 signs were added to that interchange a few years ago along with a South 341 End 41 sign on the mainline at I-94 heading south last year)  The plan is for the BGS signs on I-94 to say WIS 175 north of I-94 and to have it say Miller Park Way with the omission of WIS 175.  I just looked at Google Streetview on National Ave and WIS 341 north, and the northbound section was actually still signed as North 41 with a North 41 reassurance shield just after the Canal St Interchange.  Surprised that the signs didn't say "TO 41" and that the Miller Park Way north was still signed North 41 after Wis 341 was designated.  On Canal St, the streetview still showed the route signed as south and north 41, (even signed South 41 to National Ave; was probably there since the road was reconstructed) but those images were from Oct 2011, and those signs were replaced with WIS 341 signs a year later.

marcreichman

Onramps from State St are now signed WIS 175.

SSOWorld

Quote from: FightingIrish on September 03, 2015, 06:07:31 PM
Per the Zoo Interchange Project's Facebook page, WISDOT crews are doing an overnight closure of WB I-94 between Hawley and the Zoo to place/uncover I-41 shields on the BGS assemblies.
...which should never have been covered in the first place.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Highway63

Quote from: peterj920 on September 01, 2015, 10:31:28 AM
http://wigrants.gov/projects/neregion/41/docs/map-ex3.pdf

I-94 eastbound actually travels south, while I-94 west travels north.  By signing I-41 north and south, it clears up confusion on which way traffic is flowing.  Chicago is thought of as south of Milwaukee, not east and vice versa.  Also, a lot of truck traffic continues on US 41 to Chicago to avoid the tolls on I-94.
In that case, I wish the exits would be renumbered to increase going northward like a north-south interstate, but as we've seen with I-39, it's not going to happen.

vtk

Quote from: Jeff Morrison on September 04, 2015, 11:04:30 PM

I-94 eastbound actually travels south, while I-94 west travels north.  By signing I-41 north and south, it clears up confusion on which way traffic is flowing.  Chicago is thought of as south of Milwaukee, not east and vice versa.  Also, a lot of truck traffic continues on US 41 to Chicago to avoid the tolls on I-94.
In that case, I wish the exits would be renumbered to increase going northward like a north-south interstate, but as we've seen with I-39, it's not going to happen.

That would indeed be sensible. The only reasons not to are the minor cost, and inertia.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

GeekJedi

Quote from: vtk on September 04, 2015, 11:29:28 PM

That would indeed be sensible. The only reasons not to are the minor cost, and inertia.

I think it would be more confusing. I'm not of the camp that the physical direction and "posted" direction of I-94 is that confusing. It seems to have been generally OK for the past 40+ years, and with GPS units, it's largely irrelevant.

However, changing exit numbers goes well beyond just changing tabs. Businesses publish exit numbers in advertising and maps, GPS units put them in their maps, etc., etc. Other than in the mind of the road enthusiast, it ain't broke. Why "fix" it?
"Wisconsin - The Concurrency State!"

FightingIrish

From WisDOT:

"The I-41 conversion project has finished adding their signs in the Milwaukee area. We will now begin to use I-41 as the official NORTH-SOUTH roadway in the Zoo Interchange area."

Also looks like all of Appleton Ave and Lisbon Ave are now signed as WIS 175. They still need to change a few signs on the Stadium Freeway from US 41. Haven't been around downtown lately, so not sure if the overhead US 41 signs are still on I-94.

marcreichman

Quote from: FightingIrish on September 14, 2015, 01:32:20 PM
Haven't been around downtown lately, so not sure if the overhead US 41 signs are still on I-94.

Seems like anything west of I-43 is cutover. Stuff around the lake is still signed I-94/US-41.

Henry

Which is why I'm disappointed that WI missed a golden opportunity to extend I-57 north from Chicago many years back because they didn't want it. At least it would've been a better fit for the Interstate to Green Bay (which is now I-43).
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Big John

Quote from: Henry on September 15, 2015, 11:33:12 AM

Which is why I'm disappointed that WI missed a golden opportunity to extend I-57 north from Chicago many years back because they didn't want it. At least it would've been a better fit for the Interstate to Green Bay (which is now I-43).
I-57 was the proposed number for I-43 from Milwaukee to Green Bay but Illinois blocked it as they didn't want to extend their signing.

peterj920

Quote from: Big John on September 15, 2015, 11:40:31 AM
Quote from: Henry on September 15, 2015, 11:33:12 AM

I-57 was the proposed number for I-43 from Milwaukee to Green Bay but Illinois blocked it as they didn't want to extend their signing.

The proposal for the interstate was to follow Wis 57 north of Milwaukee to Green Bay, but opposition and protests from farmers changed the route to be extended north from the US 141 freeway that ended at Sheboygan at the time. 

The Ghostbuster

If Interstate 57 had been extended to Green Bay along existing Interstate 94, and then on to Green Bay via present day Interstate 43, the co-currency of the two routes would have been about 102 miles. If Interstate 55 had been extended to Green Bay, as some had wanted, its co-currency with previously existing Interstates routes would have been about 96 miles. So instead of those co-currencies, we get Interstate 41 for the US 41 corridor, and Interstate 43 for the US 141 corridor. Go Figure!

peterj920

The new I-41/I-43 flyover ramps just had new LED lights installed overnight.  The lighting in the I-41/Wis 29 interchange installed last year used sodium-vapor lights, so the DOT may start to use LED lights full time on freeways now (the local streets were lit with LEDs).  It seemed like WISDOT was using LED lights on local streets, but reluctant to add them to mainline freeways as of last year.  Noticed this on I-94 around the Airport Spur where the I-94 mainline was lit with sodium-vapor lights, while the Airport Spur was lit with LED's.

Big John

^^ When the I-43 Fox River "Frigo" or "Tower Dr" bridge in Green Bay was repaired in early 2014, the lights were replaced with LEDs.  Plus the Madison Beltline bridge over the Yahara River had their lights replaced with LEDs in the last couple years.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.