News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

US-41 Interstate Conversion

Started by ssummers72, February 10, 2009, 09:43:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GeekJedi

I drove up through the area yesterday (then ventured all the way up to Menominee). I will say that it seems like a mistake to not run I-41 all the way to the Abrams split. That seems like a much more natural termination point, as well as a logical "restart" of US-41. It's not like it would have cost all that much to change the signs between Lineville Rd. and Abrams!
"Wisconsin - The Concurrency State!"

peterj920

Drove I-41 from Fond Du Lac to Milwaukee yesterday and went to Miller Park.  Here is what I saw.

All of the I-41 signs have been posted at all interchanges from Fond Du Lac south.

Starting at the Washington County Line, new mile markers are posted every .2 miles with the new I-41 logo

The road was resurfaced in Dodge County, except around the WIS 49 interchange where the concrete was diamond ground. 

The Milwaukee mileage signs on the BGSs are still mysteriously covered up

I-41 was backed up at the Richfield Interchange because a small bridge is being replaced with a box culvert.  If there's a large backup on a Sunday, it must be really bad during the week. 

After seeing WIS 175 signs posted south of I-94, can officially say that WIS 341 has been replaced with WIS 175.  Between WIS 59 and I-94, there are 2 WIS 175 reassurance signs, but there aren't any south of I-94.  National Ave and Canal St sign WIS 175 at the interchanges.  In the Miller Park parking lot, there is a WIS 341 and TO 41 sign that hasn't been replaced.  It may have been forgotten about since it's in the parking lot. 

mgk920

The overhead BGSes on I-41 by Fox River Mall in Appleton were 'updated' during major overnight lane closures this past Friday (2015-10-02) night.

Mike

peterj920

Quote from: mgk920 on October 06, 2015, 12:13:10 AM
The overhead BGSes on I-41 by Fox River Mall in Appleton were 'updated' during major overnight lane closures this past Friday (2015-10-02) night.

Mike

With the updating complete in Green Bay last week, all of the BGSs are updated along the I-41 mainline with the exception of mile markers in certain areas.  Are they in the process of being updated in the Fox Valley right now?  Signs at interchanges and "TO 41" signs are all that is left to update.

mgk920

Quote from: peterj920 on October 06, 2015, 05:04:36 AM

Mike

With the updating complete in Green Bay last week, all of the BGSs are updated along the I-41 mainline with the exception of mile markers in certain areas.  Are they in the process of being updated in the Fox Valley right now?  Signs at interchanges and "TO 41" signs are all that is left to update.

I have not been through the I-41/WI 441 'Northeast' interchange in Appleton in over a week, so I'm not sure on what's been going on there.  Remember that there are no conventional overhead BGSes on I-41 at that interchange (except for the small one on the French Rd bridge over SB I-41), only on WI 441's approach.

I've seen no signs of changes on any of the cross street/road approaches to I-41 nor with the little signs in the median.

Mike

FightingIrish

Quote from: peterj920 on October 05, 2015, 07:29:34 AM

After seeing WIS 175 signs posted south of I-94, can officially say that WIS 341 has been replaced with WIS 175.  Between WIS 59 and I-94, there are 2 WIS 175 reassurance signs, but there aren't any south of I-94.  National Ave and Canal St sign WIS 175 at the interchanges.  In the Miller Park parking lot, there is a WIS 341 and TO 41 sign that hasn't been replaced.  It may have been forgotten about since it's in the parking lot.

I'm not so sure about that. There are signs on each direction of National Ave (WIS 59) prior to the intersection that say "to 94/North 175". In addition, on NB Miller Park Way prior to the intersection, a directional for E/W WIS 59 and straight ahead arrow for WIS 341. Signage on I-94 approaches only show 175 for the northbound Stadium Freeway, but no designation for the part between I-94 and WIS 59. Therefore, my guess is that part of the road is still officially (unsigned) 341, while 175 ends at the Stadium Interchange.

SEWIGuy

Quote from: FightingIrish on October 06, 2015, 08:07:56 PM
Quote from: peterj920 on October 05, 2015, 07:29:34 AM

I'm not so sure about that. There are signs on each direction of National Ave (WIS 59) prior to the intersection that say "to 94/North 175". In addition, on NB Miller Park Way prior to the intersection, a directional for E/W WIS 59 and straight ahead arrow for WIS 341. Signage on I-94 approaches only show 175 for the northbound Stadium Freeway, but no designation for the part between I-94 and WIS 59. Therefore, my guess is that part of the road is still officially (unsigned) 341, while 175 ends at the Stadium Interchange.

Except as Peter says, there are two reassurance markers.  (Which I have seen as well.)

peterj920

The sign for Wis 341 on north Miller Park Way could have been forgotten about, just like the Wis 341 and TO 41 signs in the Miller Park general parking lot.  Wis 175 is fully signed in both directions at the Canal St interchange.  It took about 13 years to take down the south US 41 signs at the Canal St interchange, even though it was 13 years since US 41 was rerouted along I-94 and off of the Stadium South. It can still be viewed on street view and has a 2012 date.  About a year after that, it was finally changed to Wis 341, and recently it was changed to Wis 175.

FightingIrish

I just drove the Stadium Freeway south from Lisbon to National a few days ago and actually didn't see ANY 175 signage southbound. Not sure about northbound though.

mgk920

Quote from: mgk920 on October 06, 2015, 10:41:03 AM
Quote from: peterj920 on October 06, 2015, 05:04:36 AM

Mike

I have not been through the I-41/WI 441 'Northeast' interchange in Appleton in over a week, so I'm not sure on what's been going on there.  Remember that there are no conventional overhead BGSes on I-41 at that interchange (except for the small one on the French Rd bridge over SB I-41), only on WI 441's approach.

I've seen no signs of changes on any of the cross street/road approaches to I-41 nor with the little signs in the median.

Update, as of Tuesday (2015-10-06) afternoon, the overhead BGSes on NB WI 441 approaching I-41 (Northeast interchange) have been updated, but the approach BGS on the side of WI 441 by Northland Ave (County 'OO') has not.

Mike

peterj920

Quote from: FightingIrish on October 06, 2015, 09:36:37 PM
I just drove the Stadium Freeway south from Lisbon to National a few days ago and actually didn't see ANY 175 signage southbound. Not sure about northbound though.

The only 175 South signage is at the Canal St interchange.  There are reassurance signs northbound. 

mgk920

WisDOT sign contractor crews were out changing the green-backed street level signs at I-41/College Ave (WI 125) in Appleton while I was driving around at work a short while ago.  They were overlaying the new I-41 shields over the old US 41 ones on those signs.

Mike

peterj920

Drove I-41 between Green Bay and WIS 26 in Oshkosh and walked the Lake Butte Des Mortes Causeway.  Obervations:

Green signs at interchanges were retrofitted with I-41 shields.  This includes signs at roundabout gore points, overheads and conventional interchanges like the College Ave interchange that Mike saw. 

I'm assuming there will be new mile markers in the median with I-41 shields installed soon.  Currently, there aren't any mile markers posted between WIS 26 and Breezewood Lane, including the standard green mile markers.  I'm assuming that WISDOT didn't want to install them until the I-41 designation was official. 

The trail along the east side of the Lake Butte Des Mortes Causeway is about 1.5 miles long, and connects with the Wiouwash Trail at the north end by a boat sales place, and a sidewalk along WIS 21.  There aren't any signs that recognize the trail or guide people to park.  I parked at the cul de sac at Marine Drive.  There are 3 bridges, and the concrete railings are sculpted and painted with fire, water, and half circles that are supposed to represent earth.  There are also stations that recognize each Native American tribe in Wisconsin.  Right before the approach to the main channel bridge, there is also a gravel trail that splits off and travels down toward the water.  They both turn west, then dead end once the trail is on the other side of the I-41 main channel bridge.  There are 10 bridge piers, and all of them have extensive artwork of fish and plants.  They can only be viewed by boaters boating underneath the bridge or trail users using the gravel path that goes underneath the bridge.  Personally, I think they are a big waste of money since few people see them.  While I walked it, a biker passed about every 10 minutes and I was the only runner/walker.  I'm guessing this is because the trail doesn't connect with any pedestrian friendly areas and the trail is very noisy since only a concrete barrier separates the trail with the traffic.  On the west side of I-41 along Lake Butte Des Mortes Drive, I saw a parking lot with about 10 cars for the Wiouwash Trail.  I'm guessing more people use that instead of the causeway because it's a lot quieter and not along a busy freeway.  From what I observed, the Causeway trail gets very little use, and I would suggest putting up signs along US 45 and WIS 21 guiding people where to park if they want to try and increase usage. 

Two days ago, I drove I-41 between US 151 and Milwaukee, along with the stadium south freeway where I saw WIS 175 signs where all of the signing was complete. 

GeekJedi

Once you get north of the West Bend spur, it looks like as soon as you're off the freeway, US-41 "disappears" from the signage. For example, along WI-67 and WI-28, it's all standalone I-41 signs up to the interchange and "Alternate I-41" signs along WI-175. Milwaukee County seems to be an outlier with the "dual 41" markers. My theory (based simply on many of the US-41 shields not being part of the "main" assemblies along the route) is that the US-41 signage for the most part is meant to be temporary in Milwaukee county, and will eventually be scaled back once drivers are used to the change, and we'll see it more as a hidden route, like US-12 and I-94 up in Minnesota.

noelbotevera

Quote from: GeekJedi on October 08, 2015, 07:39:34 AM
Once you get north of the West Bend spur, it looks like as soon as you're off the freeway, US-41 "disappears" from the signage. For example, along WI-67 and WI-28, it's all standalone I-41 signs up to the interchange and "Alternate I-41" signs along WI-175. Milwaukee County seems to be an outlier with the "dual 41" markers. My theory (based simply on many of the US-41 shields not being part of the "main" assemblies along the route) is that the US-41 signage for the most part is meant to be temporary in Milwaukee county, and will eventually be scaled back once drivers are used to the change, and we'll see it more as a hidden route, like US-12 and I-94 up in Minnesota.
US 12 is signed along I-94. US 41 is still signed along I-41, but Green Bay and Milwaukee still have US 41 fully signed.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

invincor

Quote from: noelbotevera on October 08, 2015, 07:49:16 AM
US 12 is signed along I-94. US 41 is still signed along I-41, but Green Bay and Milwaukee still have US 41 fully signed.

Going westbound, US 12 joins onto I-94 at I-94's mile marker 4, at the Somerset exit.  I-94 and US 12 are then openly signed by Wisconsin from there to the state line (along with WIS 35 which also joins on between mile markers 3 and 1).  Once you cross the bridge and enter Minnesota, only I-94 is signed.  Shortly after you clear the MN 95 exit for Stillwater, there is a single sign that says {12} FOLLOW (94).  (only with real shields instead of my attempt to recreate them in ASCII characters here)   You then don't see any sign of US 12 again until you reach downtown Minneapolis and the point where it peels off to follow I-394 west, where Minnesota again hides it as soon as you're through the interchange, until it becomes the sole highway as I-394 terminates at the interchange with I-494. 

I wish someone would tell Google Maps about this.  It continues to call out directions as though you're on US 12 alone and not I-94 from exit 3 to I-494!  Oh wait, I did tell them.  A year ago.  And again since then.  And still they haven't fixed it. 

peterj920

The plan all along was to sign US 41 along the mainline only, and all of the reassurance signs still have US 41 signs north of Milwaukee.  Minnesota doesn't sign US 12 or US 53 along I-94 at all past the "follow" signs, but once someone enters the freeway, there is an I-41/US 41 reassurance sign, even north of the US 45 split.

GeekJedi

US 12 is NOT signed along I-94 in Minnesota. And I'm talking about US-41 signage off the mainline, which in many cases is no longer signed US-41, just I-41.

peterj920

Quote from: GeekJedi on October 08, 2015, 12:05:08 PM

US 12 is NOT signed along I-94 in Minnesota. And I'm talking about US-41 signage off the mainline, which in many cases is no longer signed US-41, just I-41.

What's also interesting is that those same "follow" signs are being placed at some major interchanges.  I've seen "US 41 Follow I-41" signs at the Mitchell Interchange, and at the WIS 145 south interchange.  There's one that is supposed to be posted along US 45 right before the I-41 interchange.  WISDOT will at least give the reassurance signs along the mainline where MNDOT won't even acknowledge US 12 and US 52 at all.  The longest unsigned US highway that shares a concurrency with an interstate highway has to be US 52 between Jamestown, ND and St. Paul, MN.  There's a couple of US 52 signs along I-94 in Jamestown, but then US 52 isn't signed at all and there isn't a "US 52 follow I-94" sign.  Even though US 41 isn't signed at interchanges, the signage is still better than those 2 concurrencies. 

Milwaukee, WY

Quote from: peterj920 on October 08, 2015, 12:30:45 PMThe longest unsigned US highway that shares a concurrency with an interstate highway has to be US 52 between Jamestown, ND and St. Paul, MN.  There's a couple of US 52 signs along I-94 in Jamestown, but then US 52 isn't signed at all and there isn't a "US 52 follow I-94" sign.  Even though US 41 isn't signed at interchanges, the signage is still better than those 2 concurrencies. 

Could be. That brings to mind US 87 along I-25 in Colorado. There might only be two or three signs at all in Colorado for US 87.

noelbotevera

Quote from: Milwaukee, WY on October 08, 2015, 03:13:27 PM
Quote from: peterj920 on October 08, 2015, 12:30:45 PMThe longest unsigned US highway that shares a concurrency with an interstate highway has to be US 52 between Jamestown, ND and St. Paul, MN.  There's a couple of US 52 signs along I-94 in Jamestown, but then US 52 isn't signed at all and there isn't a "US 52 follow I-94" sign.  Even though US 41 isn't signed at interchanges, the signage is still better than those 2 concurrencies. 

Could be. That brings to mind US 87 along I-25 in Colorado. There might only be two or three signs at all in Colorado for US 87.
None in Colorado. Not sure if it's between the state line and Raton. Wyoming likes to sign US 87 this way and that.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

TheHighwayMan3561

There are a few US 52 shields in Fargo as well around the I-29 interchange.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

I-39

Does anyone know what the status of the I-41/US 41 project in the Green Bay and Appleton areas is following the budget cuts? Is it still on track to be finished in 2017?

peterj920

I-41 in Green Bay will finish next year on time.  The project in Oshkosh has been done for 2 years.  I drive I-41 in the Green Bay Area and the project is almost done.  All of the major bridges are complete, and all of the old pavement is ripped up.  The inside lanes are complete from Oneida-Mason st, and paving has started this month on the outside lanes.  It will be interesting to see if some of the new lanes open before winter.  The only reason why the south I-43 to I-41 south flyover won't open until next year is because the I-41 south mainline needs to be reconstructed in the area, along with the left exit from I-41 south to I-43 south, which will be ground level.

GeekJedi

It's interesting to finally see I-41 replace US-45 on the VMS boards...

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.