News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

US-41 Interstate Conversion

Started by ssummers72, February 10, 2009, 09:43:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mgk920

Quote from: GeekJedi on October 19, 2015, 12:29:11 PM
It's interesting to finally see I-41 replace US-45 on the VMS boards...

BTW, I noticed a couple of days ago that WisDOT has updated all of their freeway cam online feeds to reflect 'I-41'.

Also, I caught a sign crew changing the non-green sideroad signs on College Ave (WI 125) here in the Appleton area late this morning. All of the little blue median signs in the Appleton area are now updated, too.

Mike

peterj920

The new northbound lanes on I-41 in the I-43 interchange area were opened this morning, along with the US 141/Velp Ave north on ramp.  On Friday, the southbound I-41 traffic will be shifted to the northbound lanes, and the I-41 south to I-43 south, I-43 north to I-41 south, and the south I-41 to US 141/Velp Ave off ramp will be closed until next year for reconstruction.  I-43 will most likely be detoured along I-41 and Wis 172, which is going to increase traffic along those routes.  For I-43 north to I-41 south, the detour will be to exit off of Lineville Rd, turn around and head south on I-41.  When that section is finished, the I-41 project should be complete. 

fuller523

I noticed that on my drive into work on the Rock Fwy.  The same thing is on I-94 EB in Brookfield, I-41 is replacing US-45 on all VMS signs.  Local traffic reports are still referring to the highway as "45".

Also found this story on FOX6.  Not sure if DOT stating that the bypass is officially I-41 is a precursor towards the end of I-894 or just being technical.
http://fox6now.com/2015/08/04/gradual-transition-half-of-signage-for-new-i-41-is-placed-its-going-to-be-a-little-strange-at-first/

peterj920

Quote from: fuller523 on October 20, 2015, 08:39:05 PM
I noticed that on my drive into work on the Rock Fwy.  The same thing is on I-94 EB in Brookfield, I-41 is replacing US-45 on all VMS signs.  Local traffic reports are still referring to the highway as "45".

Also found this story on FOX6.  Not sure if DOT stating that the bypass is officially I-41 is a precursor towards the end of I-894 or just being technical.
http://fox6now.com/2015/08/04/gradual-transition-half-of-signage-for-new-i-41-is-placed-its-going-to-be-a-little-strange-at-first/

That news story on FOX 6 is inaccurate.  US 41 shouldn't have an "X" over it, and runs concurrent with I-41.  They should mention that US 41 is being rerouted to be concurrent with the new I-41, and being removed from the Stadium North Freeway and Appleton Ave.  Over time, I-41 should catch on, but US 45 hasn't changed at all so referring to that highway is still accurate. 

silverback1065

Quote from: peterj920 on October 20, 2015, 09:16:00 PM
Quote from: fuller523 on October 20, 2015, 08:39:05 PM

That news story on FOX 6 is inaccurate.  US 41 shouldn't have an "X" over it, and runs concurrent with I-41.  They should mention that US 41 is being rerouted to be concurrent with the new I-41, and being removed from the Stadium North Freeway and Appleton Ave.  Over time, I-41 should catch on, but US 45 hasn't changed at all so referring to that highway is still accurate.

All that being true, but the average driver doesn't really understand secret cosigning.  They think US 41 doesn't exist anymore there, but it does. Didn't know about the lowest number rule for the main route when you cosign multiple highways. 

GeekJedi

I still think that at some point WisDOT plans on removing the US-41 shields around Milwaukee. Many of the assemblies I've seen have I-41, I-894, and US-45 on one assembly, and US-41 on a standalone post. In many places US-41 is completely removed and replaced with I-41 assemblies.
"Wisconsin - The Concurrency State!"

mgk920

It appears that WisDOT has now completed the signing upgrades here in the Appleton, WI metro area.

I saw the contractor crews out over the past few days as they were doing their thing.

Mike

peterj920

Quote from: mgk920 on October 21, 2015, 10:37:02 PM
It appears that WisDOT has now completed the signing upgrades here in the Appleton, WI metro area.

I saw the contractor crews out over the past few days as they were doing their thing.

Mike

Crews should be finishing in Green Bay soon.  All green signs are changed over except at Shawano Ave and Wis 29 interchanges.  All permanent BGS on the I-41 mainline are changed over. 

FightingIrish

Quote from: peterj920 on October 07, 2015, 09:09:21 AM
Quote from: FightingIrish on October 06, 2015, 09:36:37 PM
I just drove the Stadium Freeway south from Lisbon to National a few days ago and actually didn't see ANY 175 signage southbound. Not sure about northbound though.

The only 175 South signage is at the Canal St interchange.  There are reassurance signs northbound.

Adding an update here, as I noticed not one, but two reassurance shields for 175 going northbound past National Ave. (WIS 59) last week.

In addition, those WIS 341 signs on EB Canal St. just south of the stadium have been replaced by WIS 175 signs. Verified this last night. It appears that WIS 341 has vanished into memory, as WIS 175 now runs all the way to National.

SSOWorld

Saw this from Fox Cities area residents on Facebook. :-D

They did look at it correctly (disregarding I-41)
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Highway63

Quote from: FightingIrish on October 23, 2015, 11:16:15 PM
In addition, those WIS 341 signs on EB Canal St. just south of the stadium have been replaced by WIS 175 signs. Verified this last night. It appears that WIS 341 has vanished into memory, as WIS 175 now runs all the way to National.
I will work on getting 175 extended down 341 to 59 in the mapping collection then.

peterj920

New Begin I-41 sign installed yesterday just south of Hwy M/Lineville Rd.  Still no "End I-41" sign.  I'm assuming it will be posted near the Lineville Rd interchange since I-41 is being signed through the I-43 interchange.  The BGS on I-43 has a new I-41 shield that replaced the US 41 shield, and there's a North I-41 sign at the interchange.  I submitted the photo to the webmaster so it can be displayed on interstate-guide.

mgk920

^^
Now that's interesting!

:nod:

Mike

SSOWorld

ok, now the politicians are just showing off! :banghead:
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Mrt90

Driving to work this morning, south on I-41/I-94 to Illinois, I was very surprised to see an "end I-41" sign at the state line.  Is that a mistake or did the plan to run it to the US41/I-94 split in Illinois change?

peterj920

I'm guessing it's a classic case of Illinois not wanting to cooperate with Wisconsin.  Illinois probably didn't want to pay for the signs, so the end point was marked at the state line instead.  The north end is being marked at Hwy M/Lineville Rd instead of I-43, so the north end is changed from what was originally was stated as well.

GeekJedi

Quote from: Mrt90 on November 06, 2015, 10:59:17 AM
Driving to work this morning, south on I-41/I-94 to Illinois, I was very surprised to see an "end I-41" sign at the state line.  Is that a mistake or did the plan to run it to the US41/I-94 split in Illinois change?

I noticed that today as well. My guess is that while they may ultimately put the signs at the 41/94 split, they probably needed to get a sign up ASAP. As for Illinois not cooperating, IIRC, Wisconsin had the signage in their plans, so it was going to be on WisDOT's tab.

As a side note, it does appear that WisDOT is tweaking the signage along the route. They've already changed some of the approach assemblies that originally had I-41/I-94/US-41 signs to just I-41/I-94 assemblies. I know I sound like a broken record, but I think ultimately they're going to remove most of the US-41 signs along the route and do a "silent" concurrency.

The Ghostbuster

Does anyone know if there are any parts of the corridor that do not have Interstate 41 signage?

peterj920

In the last week, sign crews have been working in Green Bay.  The "Begin I-41" BGS I posted earlier today went up yesterday.  Most of the signs are posted and changed over.  At US 141/Velp Ave and Lineville Rd, there aren't any signs at those interchanges.  There also isn't an "End I-41" sign posted yet.  I'm including Lineville Rd because the begin point is clearly being signed right after that interchange, and I-41 is signed through the I-43 interchange.

mgk920

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on November 06, 2015, 05:06:51 PM
Does anyone know if there are any parts of the corridor that do not have Interstate 41 signage?

The NB reassurance sign at Winchester Rd (Winnebago County 'II') has not yet been changed.  However, it is in the US 10/WI 441 construction zone, so it may be waiting for the upgrade project to be completed.

Mike

Mrt90

I commented yesterday on the "end I-41" signs at the state line.

On the way home, I noticed the overhead sign going north at the 94/41 merge now says I-41.

Today, I was on Russell Road (in Illinois between the state line and the 94/41 merge) and the signs indicate an entrance to I-41 North. (There is no southbound access to 94/41 directly from Russell.)

So the way it is currently signed it appears that I-41 going north begins at the 94/41 merge so about a mile of I-41 North is in Illinois, but going south I-41 ends at the state line. Perhaps that is less confusing than putting End I-41 signs right at the exit for US41?

mgk920

A little note, there is also a '[US 41]/Follow/[I-41]' BGS on eastbound US 10 on its approach to the I-41/WI 441 'Bridgeview' interchange between Appleton and Neenah.

Mike

GeekJedi

It looks like they've finished up with the resurfacing of I-41 around Lomira. That was the source of a lot of backups over the summer - glad they're done!

mgk920

Quote from: GeekJedi on November 21, 2015, 08:12:37 PM
It looks like they've finished up with the resurfacing of I-41 around Lomira. That was the source of a lot of backups over the summer - glad they're done!

I drove it last weekend, the concrete on the 1980s-era reroute section for that interchange at WI 49 was diamond ground and the rest of the Dodge County part was resurfaced.

Mike

GeekJedi

Looks like they did some guardrail replacement too.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.