Largest city without a freeway of any type

Started by hotdogPi, December 22, 2013, 08:35:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotdogPi

Well, Fresno is the largest without an Interstate, but it has CA-99.

My possibilities for cities with no freeway at all:

Cambridge, MA. I can't tell if it touches the freeway part of MA 2, though.

Lynn, MA. No freeway at all, population 90000.

(Side note: Should we keep this to the US only or should this include the whole world?)
Clinched

Traveled, plus 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

New:
I-189 clinched
US 7, VT 2A, 11, 15,  17, 73, 103, 116, 125, NH 123 traveled

US 41

Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

hotdogPi

Clinched

Traveled, plus 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

New:
I-189 clinched
US 7, VT 2A, 11, 15,  17, 73, 103, 116, 125, NH 123 traveled

Molandfreak

Clearwater, FL
Cape Coral, FL
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

NE2

Quote from: 1 on December 22, 2013, 08:35:21 PM
(Side note: Should we keep this to the US only or should this include the whole world?)
We had this: https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=8563.msg200537#msg200537 (next page too)

Quote from: 1 on December 22, 2013, 08:35:21 PM
Cambridge, MA. I can't tell if it touches the freeway part of MA 2, though.
If you want to be anal, US 1 enters East Cambridge.

Quote from: Molandfreak on December 22, 2013, 09:18:55 PM
Clearwater, FL
US 19...
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Molandfreak

Quote from: NE2 on December 22, 2013, 10:39:15 PM
Quote from: Molandfreak on December 22, 2013, 09:18:55 PM
Clearwater, FL
US 19...
Ah, now I see it, and it does appear to be freeway. Regardless, Cape Coral is likely the most populous city in the U.S. without a freeway.
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

thisdj78

Bend Oregon if you want a more classic example. No freeways anywhere near the city.

bugo

Cape Coral is served by I-9575.  What is the largest city that is not served by a freeway?

thisdj78

Quote from: bugo on December 22, 2013, 11:42:24 PM
Cape Coral is served by I-95.  What is the largest city that is not served by a freeway?

You mean I-75?

Molandfreak

Quote from: bugo on December 22, 2013, 11:42:24 PM
Cape Coral is served by I-95.  What is the largest city that is not served by a freeway?
http://goo.gl/maps/eXfJH I-75 barely misses the city limits, and no other freeways come close to the city. I-95 is on the other end of the state.

NE2

Quote from: thisdj78 on December 22, 2013, 11:39:26 PM
Bend Oregon if you want a more classic example. No freeways anywhere near the city.
Except for the Bend Parkway north of Reed (or Lafayette if you have a problem with RIROs). That's somewhere between 3 and 5 miles of freeway.

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

NE2

Quote from: Molandfreak on December 22, 2013, 11:47:02 PM
http://goo.gl/maps/eXfJH I-75 barely misses the city limits, and no other freeways come close to the city.

One could argue that the Midpoint Memorial Bridge (CR 884) is a freeway, with an interchange at each end. I probably wouldn't count it.

Road Hog

Frisco, Texas (pop. 130,000). No FREEways, but two tollways.

NE2

Quote from: Road Hog on December 23, 2013, 01:29:02 AM
Frisco, Texas (pop. 130,000). No FREEways, but two tollways.
Those are freeways with tolls.

bugo

The word "freeway" refers to the free flow of traffic, not to its method of finance.  A toll road with controlled access is indeed a freeway.

roadman65

I assume large cities means 100 K or more for this forum?
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

NE2

Quote from: roadman65 on December 23, 2013, 02:22:29 AM
I assume large cities means 100 K or more for this forum?
Who said anything about large cities?

roadman65

I was wondering when the OP meant "Largest Cities" if he was referring to those over that. 

Remember the one post where many of us got into it, it had to do with something similar about large cities not being served by interstates.  Many of us had our own definition of what a large city should be, and we all disagreed to some point of what that is being the OP was very broad and not being more specific in his thread topic.

Anyway, Panama City, FL is not served by any freeway of sort.  It is not yet 100 K in population (unless you want to count tourists who visit there into the mix), but it is a large city compared to what is nearby.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

NE2

No, he means the LARGEST city. As in the one that is larger than all the others.

hbelkins

Guessing Kentucky's entry would be Ashland.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

thisdj78

I'm curious to know largest cities not served by a freeway <30 miles away.....that's what popped up in my mind when I read the title.

Eth

Within the state of Georgia...

The largest city without a freeway appears to be Johns Creek (2010 census: 76,728). But that's pretty clearly an Atlanta suburb, so we'll strike that. Next on the list, then, would be Peachtree City (34,364). You could arguably call that a suburb as well; if so, then the state's winner is Hinesville (33,437). Mind you, even Hinesville is within about ten miles of I-95; I can't find any city over 20,000 that's more than about ten miles from a freeway.

Indyroads

Quote from: bugo on December 23, 2013, 01:34:54 AM
The word "freeway" refers to the free flow of traffic, not to its method of finance.  A toll road with controlled access is indeed a freeway.

Ok maybe that's true but in principle i disagree a freeway must not carry tolls to be called a freeway. otherwise you call it a "tollway" or toll expressway if we are getting technical.
And a highway will be there;
    it will be called the Way of Holiness;
    it will be for those who walk on that Way.
The unclean will not journey on it;
    wicked fools will not go about on it.
Isaiah 35:8-10 (NIV)

pianocello

In Iowa, it would have to be Dubuque Marshalltown (oh hey, US-30 is a freeway there) Clinton.
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

TheStranger

Huntington Beach is a half mile or so away from qualifying, but parts of the northern end include tiny segments of I-405.

Clovis used to count until the Route 168 freeway was built about 15 years ago.

Hemet thus is California's largest city without a freeway of any sort (78K population, 96th largest in the state), with I-215 running 8 miles to the west of the city limits, and I-10 12 miles to the north of the north city limit.

EDIT: There IS an interchange 6 miles north of the city limit, at Route 79 and Gilman Springs Road (1964-1965 Route 177, pre-1964 Route 79) north of San Jacinto.  Still, nowhere in Perris itself.
Chris Sampang

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.