News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Virginia

Started by Alex, February 04, 2009, 12:22:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1995hoo

I don't know what they got at Potomac Mills. I know gusts of over 60 mph were recorded in the District of Columbia and Dulles reported a maximum gust of 71 mph.

Our neighbor's house took a pounding (seen from our deck this morning):

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Beltway

Quote from: 1995hoo on March 03, 2018, 12:55:59 PM
I don't know what they got at Potomac Mills. I know gusts of over 60 mph were recorded in the District of Columbia and Dulles reported a maximum gust of 71 mph.

I'm not sure what the highest was in the Richmond area, but some of what I saw I estimated to be in the 35 to 40 mph range.  I know there were numerous power outages and reports of big trees knocked down.

I saw a apartment building on Roanoke Street that was damaged heavily by a large tree which had already been mostly removed this morning.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

froggie

Quantico had a gust up to 63 MPH.  Also saw reports of 60 and 59 from Ft. Belvoir and Mason Neck respectively.

Takumi

I read of gusts of 44 in the Tri-Cities. My neighbor's dogwood tree fell over.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Mapmikey

summary of locations in Virginia in the greater Washington area:  https://patch.com/virginia/fredericksburg/top-nova-dc-wind-gusts-town-town-march-2-2018

Highest was 78 mph in Madison County...every jurisdiction listed had at least 58 mph.

Damage was relatively minor in Fredericksburg...fortunate it wasn't raining and hasn't in a few day or more trees would've been uprooted for sure...

Beltway

Quote from: froggie on March 03, 2018, 02:59:41 PM
Quantico had a gust up to 63 MPH.  Also saw reports of 60 and 59 from Ft. Belvoir and Mason Neck respectively.

I was strange to see such high winds coming out of a clear sky.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

1995hoo

Quote from: 1995hoo on January 11, 2018, 03:17:50 PM
Here's a weird bill pending this year. HB 27 would change the inspection sticker location from the windshield to the rear window in the lower corner on the driver's side. (Recall this year they are switching it from the bottom center of the windshield to the bottom corner on the driver's side.)

I think the rear-window idea is a terrible idea because most vehicle inspectors I've ever seen use a razor blade to remove the sticker. Using a razor blade on the rear window would damage the defroster wires on many vehicles, and I highly doubt most inspectors would be especially careful to avoid causing such damage.

Other bills of interest: HB 55 would increase the speed limit on US-501 from South Boston to the North Carolina state line to 60 mph; HB 73 would allow 60 mph on US-301, US-17, VA-3, and VA-207 where they are nonlimited access multilane divided highways (currently US-17 can only have a 60-mph limit between Port Royal and Saluda); HB 103 would require VDOT immediately to begin a project to add a lane in each direction on I-95 between Exit 126 and the Beltway (I'm not sure how this would affect the state's contract with Transurban); HB 177 would prohibit drivers from using handheld communications devices like phones and from driving with an animal on one's lap; HB 207 would establish a fine of up to $100 for failing to clear snow and ice from your vehicle before driving it; HB 308 would make it illegal to pass another vehicle by using a bike lane; HB 428 would add the phrase "and the minimum speed limit shall be 45 miles per hour" to the first sentence of Va. Code 46.2-870; and SB 46 would require you to stop for, rather than yield to, pedestrians who are crossing the street lawfully (the main difference from current law being that you would have to stop and remain stopped until the pedestrian is out of the street, whereas now you simply have to yield the right-of-way and need not necessarily stop if you can yield without stopping).

Updating the above:

HB55 and HB73 passed both houses and are awaiting the governor's signature. HB27, HB103, HB177, HB207, HB308, HB428, and SB46 failed in committee. I wish they would pass something along the lines of HB207.

Beltway

Quote from: 1995hoo on March 03, 2018, 06:47:23 PM
Other bills of interest: HB 55 would increase the speed limit on US-501 from South Boston to the North Carolina state line to 60 mph; HB 73 would allow 60 mph on US-301, US-17, VA-3, and VA-207 where they are nonlimited access multilane divided highways (currently US-17 can only have a 60-mph limit between Port Royal and Saluda);
Updating the above:
HB55 and HB73 passed both houses and are awaiting the governor's signature.

Like I said on this subject in this thread on Jan. 11th --

This is silly, normally the GA sets a maximum allowed speed limit for a whole class of highway, such as when about 6 years ago they changed the law to allow any limited access highway with 4 or more lanes, up to 70 mph for cars, trucks and buses; and in order to raise the limit, pursuant to a traffic engineering study.  That is where the current 70 mph limits came from in VA.

About 10 to 12 years ago the GA changed the law and allowed up to 60 mph limits on nonlimited-access multilane 4 or more lane divided segments of US-29, US-360, US-460, part of US-58, and part of US-17, again pursuant to a traffic engineering study.

Now they want to do more on a selected basis?

How about simply allowing up to 60 mph on any nonlimited-access multilane divided highway with 4 or more lanes, pursuant to a traffic engineering study?

That will take a lot of work to study every segment, as that type of highway has a lot more variability in design standards than an Interstate highway, but they can prioritize the work starting with the most important highways.  They can hire a consultant if there is not enough VDOT in-house staffing to do the work in a timely fashion.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

oscar

Sounds to me like the deadly mix of a part-time legislature that insists on using its limited time in session to micromanage, not just local governments per the "Dillon Rule" but also state agencies. Also, VDOT is really conservative on setting speed limits, it's unlikely it'll go gonzo if the legislature gives it more leeway.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Beltway

Quote from: oscar on March 03, 2018, 07:13:36 PM
Sounds to me like the deadly mix of a part-time legislature that insists on using its limited time in session to micromanage, not just local governments per the "Dillon Rule" but also state agencies. Also, VDOT is really conservative on setting speed limits, it's unlikely it'll go gonzo if the legislature gives it more leeway.

It didn't take long on the 70 mph speed limit, granted that was for a class with fairly uniform design standards.  If a maximum speed limit has been at a certain level for decades, then there would be the desire to conduct a traffic engineering study before raising it, that is understandable.  My comment about staffing is the likely reason, such studies on nonlimited-access highways would take considerable time and staffing.  That is why I suggested them hiring a consultant if needed; that is what they do in general.

On the original Arterial Highway System, it appears that these highways have not yet been included:  US-19, US-220, US-33, US-211, VA-7, VA-234 and US-13.

Notwithstanding the foregoing provisions of this section, the maximum speed limit shall be 70 miles per hour where indicated by lawfully placed signs, erected subsequent to a traffic engineering study and analysis of available and appropriate accident and law-enforcement data, on: (i) interstate highways, (ii) multilane, divided, limited access highways, and (iii) high-occupancy vehicle lanes if such lanes are physically separated from regular travel lanes. The maximum speed limit shall be 60 miles per hour where indicated by lawfully placed signs, erected subsequent to a traffic engineering study and analysis of available and appropriate accident and law-enforcement data, on U.S. Route 23, U.S. Route 29, U.S. Route 58, U.S. Alternate Route 58, U.S. Route 360, U.S. Route 460, and on U.S. Route 17 between the Town of Port Royal and Saluda where they are nonlimited access, multilane, divided highways.
https://law.lis.virginia.gov/vacode/title46.2/chapter8/section46.2-870/

(Robert Coté, 2002)

OracleUsr

Times like these make me glad I no longer live in DC.  Yikes.  Stay safe, everyone.
Anti-center-tabbing, anti-sequential-numbering, anti-Clearview BGS FAN

LM117

Here's a weird bill pending this year. HB 27 would change the inspection sticker location from the windshield to the rear window in the lower corner on the driver's side. (Recall this year they are switching it from the bottom center of the windshield to the bottom corner on the driver's side.)

I think the rear-window idea is a terrible idea because most vehicle inspectors I've ever seen use a razor blade to remove the sticker. Using a razor blade on the rear window would damage the defroster wires on many vehicles, and I highly doubt most inspectors would be especially careful to avoid causing such damage.

Other bills of interest: HB 55 would increase the speed limit on US-501 from South Boston to the North Carolina state line to 60 mph; HB 73 would allow 60 mph on US-301, US-17, VA-3, and VA-207 where they are nonlimited access multilane divided highways (currently US-17 can only have a 60-mph limit between Port Royal and Saluda); HB 103 would require VDOT immediately to begin a project to add a lane in each direction on I-95 between Exit 126 and the Beltway (I'm not sure how this would affect the state's contract with Transurban); HB 177 would prohibit drivers from using handheld communications devices like phones and from driving with an animal on one's lap; HB 207 would establish a fine of up to $100 for failing to clear snow and ice from your vehicle before driving it; HB 308 would make it illegal to pass another vehicle by using a bike lane; HB 428 would add the phrase "and the minimum speed limit shall be 45 miles per hour" to the first sentence of Va. Code 46.2-870; and SB 46 would require you to stop for, rather than yield to, pedestrians who are crossing the street lawfully (the main difference from current law being that you would have to stop and remain stopped until the pedestrian is out of the street, whereas now you simply have to yield the right-of-way and need not necessarily stop if you can yield without stopping).

Updating the above:

HB55 and HB73 passed both houses and are awaiting the governor's signature. HB27, HB103, HB177, HB207, HB308, HB428, and SB46 failed in committee. I wish they would pass something along the lines of HB207.

What about the latest attempt to raise the Reckless Driving limit to 85mph? Did that pass or did revenue win over common sense once again?
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

Beltway

Quote from: LM117 on March 04, 2018, 06:18:25 AM
What about the latest attempt to raise the Reckless Driving limit to 85mph? Did that pass or did revenue win over common sense once again?

Cut the crap.  If you can't keep from going more than 10 miles over the limit then you have no one to blame but yourself.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

1995hoo

Not surprisingly, it failed.

LM117

Quote from: Beltway on March 04, 2018, 08:02:29 AM

Cut the crap.  If you can't keep from going more than 10 miles over the limit then you have no one to blame but yourself.

No, I won't "cut the crap" . Does 80 in a 70 warrant a speeding charge? Yes. Does it warrant a Class 1 criminal misdemeanor charge? Hell no.

I'd much rather share the road with someone going 80 in a 70 that's not causing a problem than I would someone that's doing the speed limit or less while playing on their phone and swerving all over the goddamn place or causing other problems.

Previous efforts to raise the Reckless Driving threshold were killed mainly because of money and before you spew the usual "baloney any way you slice it"  BS, take a look here:

https://pilotonline.com/news/government/politics/virginia/bill-to-amend-va-s-reckless-driving-law-shot-down/article_1c957453-bab5-5df6-a209-c821f02e295f.html

QuoteThe Criminal Subcommittee of the House Committee on Courts of Justice voted 7-2 against the bill. Opponents cited several concerns, including a possible fiscal impact and that faster speeds lead to more crashes.

A previous budget amendment that cut down on the amount of revenue local governments could keep was repealed when Hopewell's budget took a hit. Their delegate, Riley Ingram, was the main one responsible for it.

http://www.progress-index.com/news/20161001/another-chance-for-hopewells-million-dollar-mile

QuoteThis past spring, local governments won the latest battle over the state's major roads when the General Assembly abruptly reversed its course, returning to its former stance that localities are entitled to keep the fines and fees they collect for violations of local ordinances.

"We've sent a message loud and clear that this is a local issue, that we're not infringing on the State Police in any form,"  said Del. Riley Ingram, the Republican representative for Hopewell in the House of Delegates and one of the sponsors of the 2016 bill that axed the practice of remitting local fines and fees to the state.

"Local governments have got to have money,"  he said simply. "There's no question about it."

If a town, city, or county absolutely cannot survive without relying heavily on ticket revenue, then they have a very serious problem that they're either not addressing or choosing to ignore.

LM117

Quote from: 1995hoo on March 04, 2018, 09:40:02 AM

Not surprisingly, it failed.

Shocker. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

1995hoo

Apparently it passed the Senate 23—16 but died in a House committee 5—0.

I don't like that something that passes one house can die in committee in the other house without getting a full vote. If one house finds something meritorious enough to pass it, then it deserves a full vote in the other house. These chickenshit committees have too much power.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: 1995hoo on March 04, 2018, 02:00:56 PM

I don't like that something that passes one house can die in committee in the other house without getting a full vote. If one house finds something meritorious enough to pass it, then it deserves a full vote in the other house. These chickenshit committees have too much power.

I assume that there are more than a few members of the Virginia Bar that earn a living representing clients (many of them residents of places other than the Commonwealth) charged with reckless driving and other "serious" traffic offenses like DUI and the like. They would probably have a lot of paying customers even without the reckless driving provisions being Class 1 misdemeanors, but this may well be an even more lucrative business, especially in counties and cities with Interstate highways and other freeway-class roads, where it is relatively easy  to go fast enough to qualify for a reckless driving by speed charge.

My second assumption is that lobbyists for these lawyers were able to successfully work the members of that House of Delegates committee to get the bill killed.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Beltway

Quote from: LM117 on March 04, 2018, 09:49:24 AM
No, I won't "cut the crap" . Does 80 in a 70 warrant a speeding charge? Yes. Does it warrant a Class 1 criminal misdemeanor charge? Hell no.
I'd much rather share the road with someone going 80 in a 70 that's not causing a problem than I would someone that's doing the speed limit or less while playing on their phone and swerving all over the goddamn place or causing other problems.
Previous efforts to raise the Reckless Driving threshold were killed mainly because of money and before you spew the usual "baloney any way you slice it"  BS, take a look here:

At least you admitted that it was crap, that's a start.  And that article was not about the reckless driving charge, and I like the word "baloney" because it is milder than what some people deserve.  I don't trust people's driving who demand the "right" to grossly exceed the speed limit.  Someone who vociferously "complains" about having to set their cruise control at 79 is not likely to be someone who only wants to go 82 to 85, that probably wouldn't matter much to them, probably they want to go 90+.  Given that about half of the drivers out there don't even know how to use a turn signal, it is highly doubtful that but very few can safely drive at that speed.  I sure don't like to hear them whining about it.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

1995hoo

Quote from: cpzilliacus on March 04, 2018, 02:58:32 PM

I assume that there are more than a few members of the Virginia Bar that earn a living representing clients (many of them residents of places other than the Commonwealth) charged with reckless driving and other "serious" traffic offenses like DUI and the like. They would probably have a lot of paying customers even without the reckless driving provisions being Class 1 misdemeanors, but this may well be an even more lucrative business, especially in counties and cities with Interstate highways and other freeway-class roads, where it is relatively easy  to go fast enough to qualify for a reckless driving by speed charge.

My second assumption is that lobbyists for these lawyers were able to successfully work the members of that House of Delegates committee to get the bill killed.

Heh. Long-time Delgate David Albo of Springfield (who recently retired from the House) came in for special criticism. He was the main sponsor of those so-called "abusive driver fees" that created mega-controversy a few years ago–I'm sure you recall the fuss about those. The reason he in particular got criticized over that is that he's an attorney who specializes in traffic ticket defense work, so the "abusive driver fees" law was potentially beneficial to his business. Classic conflict of interest.

LM117

Quote from: Beltway on March 04, 2018, 03:00:07 PM
Quote from: LM117 on March 04, 2018, 09:49:24 AM

At least you admitted that it was crap, that's a start.  And that article was not about the reckless driving charge, and I like the word "baloney" because it is milder than what some people deserve.

The point I made in my post was that the loss of revenue is a big reason why efforts to raise the Reckless Driving limit keeps getting shot down. The first article I linked had everything to do with it. More money is made off of Reckless Driving charges than regular speeding charges. When VA raised the speed limit to 70 while keeping the RD limit at 80, places like Hopewell (who famously uses I-295 as a cash cow) hit a gold mine.

The second article referred to local governments getting back the right to keep most of the ticket revenue issued in their jurisdictions once again, which goes hand-in-hand with their fight (with support from criminal defense lawyers) to keep the Reckless Driving limit from getting raised.

I made the claim that revenue is a big reason why all attempts to raise the RD limit get killed. I backed it up. If you still refuse to believe it and want to call it baloney, then that's your problem, not mine.

LM117

Quote from: cpzilliacus on March 04, 2018, 02:58:32 PM

Sounds about right.

dfilpus

Quote from: Beltway on March 03, 2018, 12:46:57 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on March 03, 2018, 10:44:01 AM
Southbound I-95 remains closed in Dale City due to the Potomac Mills Mall sign leaning over due to wind damage–they want to make sure it can't fall into the highway. Tolls have been waived on the HO/T lanes, but traffic in the mainline must exit at the Prince William Parkway.

How high were the winds?  That would take some very high winds to bend a structure like that.

CBBTD reported gusts up to 75 mph there yesterday.  Those are the kinds of velocities that could damage a sign like that..

My niece, who lives in Montclair, had a foot plus diameter pine blow down in her front yard. It grazed the house and destroyed the railing on her porch. There were some 75 mph wind gusts around that area.

Fixed quote.  -Mark

Thing 342

Quote from: 1995hoo on March 03, 2018, 10:44:01 AM
Southbound I-95 remains closed in Dale City due to the Potomac Mills Mall sign leaning over due to wind damage–they want to make sure it can't fall into the highway. Tolls have been waived on the HO/T lanes, but traffic in the mainline must exit at the Prince William Parkway.

Twitter has some pictures, but they're kind of grainy.

Edited to add: VDOT says I-95 will not reopen until winds are consistently below 13 mph to allow a crane to remove the sign! I found this photo from the highway.

The Potomac Mills sign got pulled down today by trucks:

Source Tweet: https://twitter.com/amaxsmith/status/970465112225173504

Beltway

Quote from: LM117 on March 04, 2018, 04:15:24 PM
Quote from: Beltway on March 04, 2018, 03:00:07 PM
At least you admitted that it was crap, that's a start.  And that article was not about the reckless driving charge, and I like the word "baloney" because it is milder than what some people deserve.
The point I made in my post was that the loss of revenue is a big reason why efforts to raise the Reckless Driving limit keeps getting shot down. The first article I linked had everything to do with it. More money is made off of Reckless Driving charges than regular speeding charges. When VA raised the speed limit to 70 while keeping the RD limit at 80, places like Hopewell (who famously uses I-295 as a cash cow) hit a gold mine.

If you are stupid enough to go over 80 when the limit is 70 then you need to blame yourself, not someone else.  That article was from 2013 and does not say what you claimed, and it does mention the attempt to curb extreme speeds.  The mathematical reasoning is deficient; when maybe one in a thousand violators gets a summons, changing the limit by 5 miles is not going to affect how many summonses are issued, the police could issue more or less based on how much enforcement they are willing to put there. 

One of the posters in this thread mentioned on another forum that he has gotten 13 speeding tickets in his driving career.  I was flabbergasted, as I have been driving for 50 years and over one million miles and I finally got my first speeding ticket a couple years ago, and even that was due to a few unlucky factors including that I missed a speed reduction sign that I later verified was in plain view.

Spare me your complaints.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.