AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New rules to ensure post quality. See this thread for details.

on: Today at 01:55:25 PM 
Started by Max Rockatansky - Last post by kphoger

Here's an outlook-related one - this pop up message:

This comes in so handy so often for me... very underrated IMO.

I'd actually put that in the "minor things that bother you" thread. Most times I am intentionally NOT responding to the last message, but to an earlier one.

Same here.

on: Today at 01:54:24 PM 
Started by kphoger - Last post by kphoger

Arby's curly fries.

Actually, curly fries in general.

Not the shape, but the seasoning.

You're wrong.

on: Today at 01:52:10 PM 
Started by snowc - Last post by kphoger
While temps are expected to be in the 100s this Friday, we are now expected to have our first Heat advisory soon!
That means the heat is on and will not stop until September.

Asheville has a forecast high temperature of 69°F on Tuesday.

on: Today at 01:51:59 PM 
Started by mass_citizen - Last post by ethanhopkin14
Not survey what I like best about this.  The reverse order of the shields or the text in on the arrow. 

on: Today at 01:51:39 PM 
Started by SkyPesos - Last post by wriddle082
I’d like to pass this one to the honorable mention winner, if I may.

on: Today at 01:46:24 PM 
Started by MCRoads - Last post by DRMan
I'm not personally convinced of that. Drivers are quite well trained that a single flashing red means "stop then proceed when clear". The wig-wag double-flashing red, on the other hand, does not have such a meaning.

Anywhere else you do see a wigwag style red, like a school bus or a railroad crossing, it means stop and stay put until the lights go dark.  A HAWK somehow took that same pattern and made it mean something else.  It seems like both reds flashing together would be better really.

They made it impermissible to have horizontal pairs of red flashing balls alternate at an intersection because it could be confused with a railroad crossing, then introduced a new thing that has alternating horizontally-aligned red flashing balls.  Nuts!!

Having both reds flash together would be better, and so would having the yellow flash at all times. A dark signal is supposed to equate to an all-way stop.

Although, drivers seem accustomed to these weird phases here in the birthplace of the HAWK.

on: Today at 01:45:11 PM 
Started by Mr. Matté - Last post by kphoger
I guess the question is... are the mods/admins anticipating that a lot more photo contests/games would appear if they got their own board?

As has already been pointed out, games have been a part of this forum since before I joined.  It's reasonable to assume they'll continue to be a part of it.  With that in mind, it makes sense to put them on their own board—preferably invisible to non-members.

on: Today at 01:42:38 PM 
Started by andy3175 - Last post by GaryA
The last signals on (the) 101 were in Santa Barbara, four in a row downtown, that resulted in monumental traffic jams.  They were removed ~30 years ago with completion of the freeway.  There are flashing beacons at some crossings in expressway segments but otherwise there's nothing from LA to SF.  North of SF, with completion of the Willits bypass there are no signals until Eureka.
In which intersections were these signals located?
North to south (southwest to northeast, actually):  Chapala, State, Anacapa, Santa Barbara

I had lived there for about a year when the signals were removed. I clearly remember sitting at those signals for four, five minutes.

I recall there were signs on the cross streets advising drivers of the long signal cycles and suggesting that they should shut off their engines while waiting.

on: Today at 01:37:33 PM 
Started by swbrotha100 - Last post by DRMan
There is a stretch of diamond grind on I-10 in Tucson. There doesn't seem to be much difference in the noise level as opposed to concrete. It isn't pretty to look at, but it is a fairly smooth ride.

on: Today at 01:34:46 PM 
Started by webny99 - Last post by Max Rockatansky
One my more infamous detour routes is using San Francisquito Canyon Road to get around problems on the Ridge Route/Grapevine corridor of I-5.  Most people swing all the way out to CA 14 and CA 58 because they are following what an app or GPS tells them.  Usually getting back to I-5 from San Francisquito Canyon Road requires using some pretty interesting roads either in the Mojave or on the San Andreas Fault like Los Angeles County Route N2. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.