News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Detroit Bridge Wars

Started by mightyace, June 16, 2009, 05:35:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hellfighter

Quote from: deanej on June 25, 2009, 01:21:17 PM
The bridge company unilaterally made changes to the design that made it not comply for federal funding.  Additionally, the government wants the new bridge downriver instead of a second span of the Ambassador bridge.

Personally I think the proposed downriver bridge is better as it would provide a direct connection between I-75 and ON 401.

You really want people to come in from Canada and the first thing they smell is Delray?  :crazy:

mightyace

My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

Hellfighter

It's official, I-75 will open on July 2nd.

rawr apples

Now shut up and drivee

Terry Shea

"Some of these people that accidentally go to Canada, if they are a U.S. citizen and they are worried about getting back, they shouldn't be because a U.S. citizen cannot be denied re-entry into the United States," Smith said.

So why the need for a passport at all now?  Wait, I know!  So the government can steal more of our money!

mightyace

Quote from: Terry Shea on July 30, 2009, 08:25:37 AM
"Some of these people that accidentally go to Canada, if they are a U.S. citizen and they are worried about getting back, they shouldn't be because a U.S. citizen cannot be denied re-entry into the United States," Smith said.

So why the need for a passport at all now?  Wait, I know!  So the government can steal more of our money!

Why have a passport?  Well, as it says later on in the article, they can delay you, possibly hours, while the border patrol verifies your identity.

rawr apples

they can take all day for all I care, if I had known that I cannot be denied reentry I wouldve gone to BC last month
Now shut up and drivee

Terry Shea

Quote from: mightyace on July 30, 2009, 11:53:39 AM
Quote from: Terry Shea on July 30, 2009, 08:25:37 AM

Why have a passport?  Well, as it says later on in the article, they can delay you, possibly hours, while the border patrol verifies your identity.
They can do that with or without a passport and with or without passport laws.  So what happens if I visit Canada w/o a passport.  I'm assuming they don't check on the Canadian side and they can't deny me re-entry, so what happens?  Is there a fine involved?  If so I'll bet the fine is less than half of what it would cost to buy a passport.  That would be a typical governmental program.

agentsteel53

the fact is, passports cost money.  $130 isn't that outrageous for what Uncle Sam does to prepare one for you.  Now would you rather they be free, and instead subsidized by general taxation, i.e. from the money of people who don't even want one
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

rawmustard

So now Maroun wants to offer his "toll credits" as part of MDOT's local match for federal money. It'll be interesting to see just how this plays into their squabble if Maroun is true to his word, of which MDOT is rightly highly skeptical.

Sykotyk

A friend and I went to Canada from Detroit (across the Amabassador) last fall. No passports. Just our licenses. Canada didn't care. Customs told us "We don't care, you're license is good enough for us. It's getting back into the states that could be trouble." Coming back later that night, we got through, pulled in, had our car inspected, sat in a waiting room for 20 minutes before being told we're free to leave. Maybe 45min tops from customs booth until we got to leave the Windsor Tunnel holding area.

I did get my passport last fall, as I do plan on going fly abroad at some time in the near future.

Sykotyk

Alps

Latest news in the bridge wars:  Canada is ready to go for a new crossing.  http://www.dcnonl.com/article/id37126

rawmustard

MDOT is asking private firms to submit proposals for possibly being a partner in the Detroit River International Crossing project. I'll be interested to see just who would be willing to join on to this a project. Frankly, there's no way MDOT can shoulder its portion of the costs alone given its current fiscal state.

UPDATE, 2/1: A Freep article today makes note of Maroun's use of lawsuits on both sides of the border in order to stop DRIC. Maybe I'm being totally naïve, but wouldn't it make more sense for Matty to become a partner? Seems to me Maroun's company seems to benefit much more if they can get a cut of a new crossing rather than get nothing if it ultimately comes to be given his staunch opposition.

mightyace

Quote from: rawmustard on January 27, 2010, 03:52:50 PM
Maybe I'm being totally naïve, but wouldn't it make more sense for Matty to become a partner? Seems to me Maroun's company seems to benefit much more if they can get a cut of a new crossing rather than get nothing if it ultimately comes to be given his staunch opposition.

Given what's been said, do you think any of the gov't entities involved would let him in?

froggie

Doubtful.  Maroun's dug his own hole....now he'll have to stew in it.

mightyace

Moroun loses another round in court...

Michigan court orders Ambassador Bridge to follow Gateway contract

Quotehe Ambassador Bridge company suffered defeat today in a court case brought by Michigan DOT for breach of contract. Judge Prentis Edwards of Wayne County Circuit Court in a 15-page ruling found the Bridge company to be in violation of its contract commitments by failing to build its part of the Gateway Project (upgraded links to I-75 and I-96) as agreed in 2004.

The Judge ordered Detroit International Bridge Company (DIBC) owner of the Ambassador bridge to:

1. remove structures built in the path of an agreed access road and to complete its construction in accord with the plans

2. submit a timetable to the court and Michigan DOT for complying with the contract within 21 days

3. pay the expenses of an independent project manager to oversee implementation of the contract

rawmustard

Canada looked to buy the Ambassador Bridge last year, but talks have led nowhere. Obviously the stalled talks should be of no surprise to anyone.

rawmustard

Brian Dickerson has a column in today's Freep and makes a point to which I alluded earlier in this thread–Maroun would be better off dropping his dispute with MDOT and acting as a partner. It was also interesting to see that Maroun wanted a piece in the Canadian side of the Blue Water in addition to $3 billion and permission to build another bridge near Buffalo.

mightyace

IMHO The best all around would be for Maroun and the Canadian Government can come to an agreement for the latter to buy the Ambassdor Bridge and get him out of the picture.

However, given this:
QuoteReports are that previously Moroun has said he'd sell for $3b. The Canadian government has in the past valued the bridge at around half that - $1.5b.
from Canadian Gov moves to buy Ambassador Bridge from Moroun

Plus other actions by Mr. Moroun, it doesn't look like he'll be going away anytime soon unless he assumes room temperature.

Brandon

Agreed.  Either the Canadian government should take over the Bridge and the Tunnel, or a joint MTO-MDOT authority should govern them (sort of like the authority that runs the bridges between NY and NJ in the NYC area).
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Scott5114

uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

rawmustard

Now the Coast Guard has blocked Maroun's plan, revealing it will not consider his application as long as Maroun remains in dispute with the city of Detroit over land rights near the bridge site.

Hellfighter

What are the chances Mouron will take this fight with MDOT all the way to top?

J N Winkler

Can we just blow him up?
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

mightyace

Michigan DOT hopes for P3 law this year to allow new Detroit River toll bridge to Canada

On the plus side, they're moving beyond Moroun, but in going with a P3, they need to make sure that they don't replace Moroun with someone else like him on the P3 project!  :sombrero:

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.