News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

State-named interstate shields

Started by Mergingtraffic, May 06, 2014, 09:02:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

US 89

Quote from: kphoger on July 30, 2021, 03:58:33 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on July 30, 2021, 03:36:46 PM

Quote from: formulanone on July 30, 2021, 11:19:19 AM

Quote from: Alex on July 30, 2021, 09:24:33 AM
The only genuine state named shields in Tennessee are the I-24 span wire overheads in East Ridge. Those were still there as of last September.

Wow, a little off-spec but I'll check those out next time I'm in Chattanooga...didn't know about those!

Somebody care to post the Street View link?

https://goo.gl/maps/weBddb65Ms9tWR3c8

I discovered those last November on a Chattanooga area clinchdrive. Just about pissed my pants when I saw them. I'm pretty sure I passed them again in March 2021 and they were still there.

US71

Some older Pennsylvania shields
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: US 89 on July 31, 2021, 01:06:44 AM
Quote from: kphoger on July 30, 2021, 03:58:33 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on July 30, 2021, 03:36:46 PM

Quote from: formulanone on July 30, 2021, 11:19:19 AM

Quote from: Alex on July 30, 2021, 09:24:33 AM
The only genuine state named shields in Tennessee are the I-24 span wire overheads in East Ridge. Those were still there as of last September.

Wow, a little off-spec but I'll check those out next time I'm in Chattanooga...didn't know about those!

Somebody care to post the Street View link?

https://goo.gl/maps/weBddb65Ms9tWR3c8

I discovered those last November on a Chattanooga area clinchdrive. Just about pissed my pants when I saw them. I'm pretty sure I passed them again in March 2021 and they were still there.

Speaking of I-24, these are awesome.

Avalanchez71

rickmastfan67

CanesFan27

PA 906 North in Belle Vernon, PA

IMG_7800 by Adam Prince, on Flickr

Mapmikey

Quote from: Takumi on May 25, 2014, 07:47:21 AM
The lone I-85 Virginia shield (paired on a unisign with an I-95 Virginia shield) was still up as of last week. No date code anywhere on it. I don't know of any state-name Virginia shields still up on mainlines (the last state-name I-95s from the portion built in the early 1980s in Prince George and Sussex were all removed from the mainline by 2013) but there are still many on surface roads. I know of many I-95s, between Richmond, the one in Petersburg, some in Sussex County, and some newer installations south of Fredericksburg. I've also seen them for I-64, I-264, and I-195.

I couldn't remember where this lone I-85 shield with the state-name but I found it and it was still up as of Sept 2021.  It and the accompanying I-95 shield are in rough shape...

Takumi

Quote from: Mapmikey on February 09, 2022, 12:40:23 PM
Quote from: Takumi on May 25, 2014, 07:47:21 AM
The lone I-85 Virginia shield (paired on a unisign with an I-95 Virginia shield) was still up as of last week. No date code anywhere on it. I don't know of any state-name Virginia shields still up on mainlines (the last state-name I-95s from the portion built in the early 1980s in Prince George and Sussex were all removed from the mainline by 2013) but there are still many on surface roads. I know of many I-95s, between Richmond, the one in Petersburg, some in Sussex County, and some newer installations south of Fredericksburg. I've also seen them for I-64, I-264, and I-195.

I couldn't remember where this lone I-85 shield with the state-name but I found it and it was still up as of Sept 2021.  It and the accompanying I-95 shield are in rough shape...

I think it's still there, but I'll check to verify that later this week. Petersburg has been replacing lots of signs recently...almost entirely with incorrect shields. Almost all the VA 36 postings are now US 36 shields.

Google Maps shows that the only known state-name I-295 shield, on eastbound Greenwood Road approaching Woodman Road, has been replaced as part of converting that intersection into a roundabout.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

MATraveler128

It looks like Connecticut is slowly starting to phase out state named shields. I was on I-84 and I-91 today and saw only two state named shields still left on the mainline, one for 84 and one for 91. With ConnDOT doing spot sign replacements, they have started to disappear slowly. The example above is on I-84 westbound just before Exit 72.
Decommission 128 south of Peabody!

Lowest untraveled number: 56

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: BlueOutback7 on May 27, 2022, 09:06:39 PM

It looks like Connecticut is slowly starting to phase out state named shields. I was on I-84 and I-91 today and saw only two state named shields still left on the mainline, one for 84 and one for 91. With ConnDOT doing spot sign replacements, they have started to disappear slowly. The example above is on I-84 westbound just before Exit 72.

There are still quite a few on 84 between Farmington and Southington.  The 2017 sign replacement project on that stretch used state shields.  However, I've seen a couple of those signs on the approaches to an interchange replaced with neutered shields.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Mergingtraffic

Still up in King of Prussia, PA.

I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

MATraveler128

The lone state named I-684 shield southbound is still standing as of today. Passed it northbound, but couldn't get a good photo of it.

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.3207816,-73.6602231,3a,90y,247.16h,64.43t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sUl8_kBr5eACHIfhmoGdhiA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

formulanone

Found this one last week on WA 906 at Snoqualmie Pass at I-90 ->  Street View

(The "green slime" effect is from using a flash to eliminate some of the shadows.)

Scott5114

Wow! Candidate for best-of, there.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

thefraze_1020

The only reason WSDOT hasn't replaced it three times in the last twenty years is because it is hidden under an overpass at Snoqualmie Pass.

...although, if you know where to look, both sides of Snoqualmie Pass have a lot of old (for Washington) signage.
Alright, this is how it's gonna be!

CanesFan27

From this past weekend in SW PA:
PA 51 South - this most likely will be gone soon as they are upgrading the interchange from a 1950s cloverleaf to a DDI.

IMG_0282 by Adam Prince, on Flickr

Coraopolis:
IMG_0250 by Adam Prince, on Flickr

Mt. Nebo Road:
IMG_0242 by Adam Prince, on Flickr

bing101

Here is a rare freeway entrance sign where the Interstate is at the bottom over the US Route sign. Note this is given that this is near the west end of I-80 in San Francisco. Here is a more common use of a freeway enterance sign with state labeled interstate shield.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: CanesFan27 on November 01, 2022, 10:35:31 AM
From this past weekend in SW PA:
PA 51 South - this most likely will be gone soon as they are upgrading the interchange from a 1950s cloverleaf to a DDI.

IMG_0282 by Adam Prince, on Flickr

Coraopolis:
IMG_0250 by Adam Prince, on Flickr

Mt. Nebo Road:
IMG_0242 by Adam Prince, on Flickr

There's still a few I-279 state name shields as well out there as well if you know where to look.

Amaury

I have to wonder why most states, including here in Washington, phased out the state names on the Interstate shields. Maybe because an interstate doesn't "belong" to a particular state since it's one long line. For example, Interstate 90 is still Interstate 90, even after crossing the Washington-Idaho border. It's not like between Pullman, Washington, and Moscow, Idaho, where Washington State Route 270 ends and changes to Idaho State Highway 8 at the Washington-Idaho border down there.

When I took my drive to Yreka, California, I did notice that for their US shields, they add "US," whereas at least in Oregon, Idaho, and here in Washington, they don't.

US Route 97 shield in Washington: https://goo.gl/maps/vkRa7PDuRZQQcD8U9

US Route 97 shield in California: https://goo.gl/maps/oDTgx5t8Ute2AsFY6

Likewise, for California's local state routes. The shields have "California" on them.
Quote from: Rean SchwarzerWe stand before a great darkness, but remember, darkness can't exist where light is. Let's be that light!

Wikipedia Profile: Amaury

Rothman

Quote from: Amaury on November 02, 2022, 01:52:01 AM
I have to wonder why most states, including here in Washington, phased out the state names on the Interstate shields. Maybe because an interstate doesn't "belong" to a particular state since it's one long line. For example, Interstate 90 is still Interstate 90, even after crossing the Washington-Idaho border. It's not like between Pullman, Washington, and Moscow, Idaho, where Washington State Route 270 ends and changes to Idaho State Highway 8 at the Washington-Idaho border down there.

When I took my drive to Yreka, California, I did notice that for their US shields, they add "US," whereas at least in Oregon, Idaho, and here in Washington, they don't.

US Route 97 shield in Washington: https://goo.gl/maps/vkRa7PDuRZQQcD8U9

US Route 97 shield in California: https://goo.gl/maps/oDTgx5t8Ute2AsFY6

Likewise, for California's local state routes. The shields have "California" on them.
MUTCD...
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Bobby5280

Quote from: AmauryI have to wonder why most states, including here in Washington, phased out the state names on the Interstate shields.

The reasoning for the neutered Interstate shields is some bean counters who don't know how to math want the shields to be the same size as US or state highway shields installed on the same big green sign or sign post. And they want the numerals of the Interstate shields to be the same size as those on the US/state highway markers. That desire does not jive with basic geometry. It just doesn't freaking work. It's plain ignorance the bean counters force their "want" through anyway.

Most US and state highway markers are a simple white shape on a black background. They usually don't have a fancy banner going across the top like an Interstate highway shield (there are several exceptions though). A 24" X 24" US Highway marker will have 12" tall Series D numerals. Most state highway markers have the same treatment. A 24" X 24" Interstate shield is supposed to have 10" tall Series D numerals. That leaves just enough space for 1.5" tall Series D state name letters.

A neutered 24" X 24" Interstate shield will have 12" numerals crammed into the space. Visually it sucks. The curvy, cut-out shield shape does not leave enough room for 12" numerals and that red "Interstate" banner on the top. So we have all these neutered Interstate shields installed in the field featuring oversized numerals that are often very crowded into the space. The results look terrible. And the results are not as legible as an Interstate shield that properly follows the spec in the SHS book. Letters and numerals need at least some negative space around them to be legible. Oversized numerals on many neutered Interstate shields are literally hugging the edges of the shield and in many cases look oddly off-center. It's actually less legible and just stupid looking.

If the red "Interstate" banner was deleted from the top of the shield, making the shield just a solid shape, then the larger numerals would fit. But then the Interstate shield design would look very boring compared to how it looks now.

The better looking solution would be to use larger Interstate shields. On a reassurance post sign they could install a 36" X 36" Interstate shield with 15" Series D numerals over 24" X 24" US/state highway markers with 12" numerals installed on the same post. I used to see some of that kind of treatment here in Oklahoma. ODOT has reverted back to making all the highway markers on the sign post the same size (probably to save money on materials costs). But at least ODOT is still making some state-named Interstate shields.

steviep24

Found this I-490 shield in the Rochester, NY area.

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.1739078,-77.7324513,3a,15y,195.05h,90.97t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sYh0KEsFF0vtA8Hwx9WmFJw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?hl=en&authuser=0&entry=ttu

This one is located on NY-386 (Elmgrove Rd.) near NY-31.

EDIT: Replaced Google street view ling with an updated one.

Also, as of today that old sign is still there.

Bobby5280

That shield in Rochester is badly faded. I doubt if it dates back to 1957, but it looks like it complies with the original 1957 specs.

MATraveler128

I have to wonder why most states, including here in Washington, phased out the state names on the Interstate shields.

Don't forget Massachusetts. I'm 99% confident that there are a grand total of zero state named shields left in the Bay State. There used to be an I-195 in Fall River and an I-93 in Boston, but other than that, Massachusetts may be one of the few states that have no state named shields period.

Is the I-93 state named shield in Concord, NH still standing? If it is I'd love to get a photo of it one day before it disappears.

Scott5114

The state names were put on the Interstate shields (and the 1926-1948 US shields, for that matter) to reassure the more independent-minded (read: "Southern") states that yes, they still own the roads even if the feds were fronting the money and deciding where they should be built. Look at you guys go, building all that Interstate mileage for us all on your own! How strong and independent of you! Truly the heroes America needs. Without that sort of flattery there was a real risk those rah-rah-states-rights states wouldn't have played ball.

Once the system was actually built there wasn't much need to keep puffing the states up, so the feds let the state name become optional.

Quote from: Rothman on November 02, 2022, 06:52:39 AM
MUTCD...

The state-name Interstate shield is still in the MUTCD, I'm pretty sure. And the standard drawing sheets in several states (Oklahoma and California are two I can remember seeing myself) still explicitly include the state name on the shield.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.